PDA

View Full Version : Not in Shock or Awe Anymore

CaBisonFan
05-08-2008, 05:02 AM
From now on, no matter who the Bison play (in any sport), we're not in shock or awe anymore.

If we were to play one of the 5 or 6 elite teams in football, which each FBS season seems to produce, then we might wanna be a little frightened about the final score at 'their' house. But I just don't see the intimidation factor being that big for North Dakota State in most situations.

I don't see the Bison going to Wyoming with a great deal of fear, or to UNI, or any other environment. Maybe a trip into one of the SEC powers would be different. That's certainly open for debate...but not worth it.

Shock & awe is over for North Dakota State. Even though we're in the FCS in football, and a smaller DI conference in other sports, Bison athletes don't have the fear of playing anywhere.

We're not in the bush leagues anymore mr. mcfeelinit. You're writing about North Dakota State University...a perennial powerhouse in football...and other programs that have shown signs of being very legitimate in DI. Stop trying to treat us like we're something different...and we'll get as flippin' excited as we want about any game that we want.

For me, living in SoCal for the present, I'd have no problem with the Bison coming to either USC or UCLA to play a little football. I've seen both of these teams play 'live' several times, and I simply don't see the total domination factor. Most of the glamour programs are products of media hype...with the exception of the elite teams that I mentioned earlier.

10-1 in 2008...& a trip to the national title game. Write it down mikey.

HerdBot
05-08-2008, 05:21 AM
From now on, no matter who the Bison play (in any sport), we're not in shock or awe anymore.

If we were to play one of the 5 or 6 elite teams in football, which each FBS season seems to produce, then we might wanna be a little frightened about the final score at 'their' house. But I just don't see the intimidation factor being that big for North Dakota State in most situations.

I don't see the Bison going to Wyoming with a great deal of fear, or to UNI, or any other environment. Maybe a trip into one of the SEC powers would be different. That's certainly open for debate...but not worth it.

Shock & awe is over for North Dakota State. Even though we're in the FCS in football, and a smaller DI conference in other sports, Bison athletes don't have the fear of playing anywhere.

We're not in the bush leagues anymore mr. mcfeelinit. You're writing about North Dakota State University. Stop trying to treat us like we're something different...and we'll get as flippin' excited as we want about any game that we want.

For me, living in SoCal for the present, I'd have no problem with the Bison coming to either USC or UCLA to play a little football. I've seen both of these teams play 'live' several times, and I simply don't see the total domination factor. Most of the glamour programs are products of media hype...with the exception of the elite teams that I mentioned earlier.

10-1 in 2008...& a trip to the national title game. Write it down Sid...I mean...mikey.

The media DIDN'T make a big deal out of the USC story. It was just a little writeup in the Forum. There was nothing bigger going on either. While it's not as suprising as it was a few years ago, playing USC is still a big deal and by not giving it big time coverage would be bad journalism.

Why would McFeely write that? That's the type of writer he is. If someone came out and said it's bad to torture puppies he would take the opposite angle. He's the devils advocate.

BTW it's so true about us not being scared. I expect to win every football game no matter who we play. In basketball, I realized we have a shot at beating anyone when we started regularily knocking off ranked teams and had a shot to beat everyone.

CaBisonFan
05-08-2008, 05:49 AM
The media DIDN'T make a big deal out of the USC story. It was just a little writeup in the Forum. There was nothing bigger going on either. While it's not as suprising as it was a few years ago, playing USC is still a big deal and by not giving it big time coverage would be bad journalism.

Why would McFeely write that? That's the type of writer he is. If someone came out and said it's bad to torture puppies he would take the opposite angle. He's the devils advocate.

BTW it's so true about us not being scared. I expect to win every football game no matter who we play. In basketball, I realized we have a shot at beating anyone when we started regularily knocking off ranked teams and had a shot to beat everyone.

Precisely my point on mcfeelinit. He should be writing about puppies, and church council meetings.

Good comments gabe. How's the areavoices business? I threw in the towel.

missingnumber7
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM

We're not in the bush leagues anymore mr. mcfeelinit. You're writing about North Dakota State University...a perennial powerhouse in football...and other programs that have shown signs of being very legitimate in DI. Stop trying to treat us like we're something different...and we'll get as flippin' excited as we want about any game that we want.

10-1 in 2008...& a trip to the national title game. Write it down mikey.

I am wondering when we were ever in shock and awe of bigger programs. Especially in football. Prime examples...a D2 walking into the mouth of the most successful D1-AA program in the nation, and win. Go play 2 D1 teams in the same season, beating a MAC and giving a Big Ten team everything they could handle and more. Playing 2 more D2 teams again last year and walking into the defending MAC champions house and taking them to the woodshed, and handling the Goofers again, but this time on the scoreboard too. If you want to throw any other teams in there I can go and find examples. But my point is there was never Shock and/or Awe of any bigger programs. The "Hoosiers" effect never happened. 1 reason and 1 reason alone. Quality coaches have convinced the players that they are able to play at that level, and they believe it and do.

CaBisonFan
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I am wondering when we were ever in shock and awe of bigger programs. Especially in football. Prime examples...a D2 walking into the mouth of the most successful D1-AA program in the nation, and win. Go play 2 D1 teams in the same season, beating a MAC and giving a Big Ten team everything they could handle and more. Playing 2 more D2 teams again last year and walking into the defending MAC champions house and taking them to the woodshed, and handling the Goofers again, but this time on the scoreboard too. If you want to throw any other teams in there I can go and find examples. But my point is there was never Shock and/or Awe of any bigger programs. The "Hoosiers" effect never happened. 1 reason and 1 reason alone. Quality coaches have convinced the players that they are able to play at that level, and they believe it and do.

My article is a response to a local media person.

SirHinn
05-08-2008, 11:52 PM

That local media person's job is to stir things up. Would he be popular if all he did was praise NDSU? He's the guy everyone loves to hate yet can't stop talking about.

Jdubs21
05-09-2008, 12:07 AM
i think when our bball team beat wisconsin there was some shock there

HerdBot
05-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Precisely my point on mcfeelinit. He should be writing about puppies, and church council meetings.

Good comments gabe. How's the areavoices business? I threw in the towel.

Thanks. I don't update it much during the summer but once August rolls around...

NorthernBison
05-09-2008, 02:43 AM
That local media person's job is to stir things up. Would he be popular if all he did was praise NDSU? He's the guy everyone loves to hate yet can't stop talking about.

I agree. It amazes me that people don't understand his role as a sports COLUMNIST. It is his job to take positions that are often provocative. Obviously, he needs to have some basis for his positions for any discussion to be valid.

I occasionally take issue with his columns but I don't only see him taking shots at NDSU. He has written criticisms of UND, MSUM, Then Northern League and many others in addition to NDSU. I also remember columns that were positive about each including NDSU.

I really do think NDSU athletes and even most of the fans are past the wide eyed stage when it comes to games against big name teams. The intelligent discussion around these games is typically about the chances of getting a victory and what that means to RPI, post-season chances, etc. I don't see many games on major sport schedules where the prevailing thought will be that we are taking a beating for a check (unless we get Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. on the MBB schedule).

CaBisonFan
05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
I agree. It amazes me that people don't understand his role as a sports COLUMNIST. It is his job to take positions that are often provocative. Obviously, he needs to have some basis for his positions for any discussion to be valid.

I occasionally take issue with his columns but I don't only see him taking shots at NDSU. He has written criticisms of UND, MSUM, Then Northern League and many others in addition to NDSU. I also remember columns that were positive about each including NDSU.

I really do think NDSU athletes and even most of the fans are past the wide eyed stage when it comes to games against big name teams. The intelligent discussion around these games is typically about the chances of getting a victory and what that means to RPI, post-season chances, etc. I don't see many games on major sport schedules where the prevailing thought will be that we are taking a beating for a check (unless we get Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. on the MBB schedule).

Calling him a 'columnist' is a bit of a stretch. A good columnist has knowledge. A good columnist doesn't try to imitate the tabloids. A good columnist can say that he/she is there to sell papers - which has truth - but the role is larger than that.

A good columnist works to 'educate.'

We've lost sight of what good journalism is - in most of our news.

It's not about being a 'homer' at all. If a real journalist is going to present an opposing view of an issue, that person needs to have a large knowledge base, a historical perspective, and a desire to serve people.

The person that I'm writing about has 'none' of the above...except for the 'trying to sell papers' part. That's all. It's cheap journalism that doesn't match up with the programs that are being covered.

Example: Bill O'Reilly sells big for Fox - but he is there to incite anger and hatred - and to sell advertising. Every cable station has one or two of them. But simply because it sells doesn't mean that it's good...or good for the audience.

I don't love to hate anyone. But I 'do' dislike the way that the Bison programs are sometimes dragged through the tabloidian mud simply to sell papers, and I really dislike it when it's done in an attempt to drag other schools into the mud with us. If there were a real scandal I would expect it to be covered in as much detail as possible. But what we read from this guy rarely has to do with 'scandal.' And rarely does it have to do with educating the public. That's a little bit difficult to do with such limited knowledge, or the apparent lack of desire to learn.

The word that comes to mind is 'hack.'

Ed Schultz was hard to stomach at times - but he had knowledge - and he was passionate.

Boyd Christiansen had knowledge and great integrity.

Who was the old Channel 4 sports guy? name...name? I loved to hate him, but he was a professional. He had knowledge - and passion. I respected him. What's the name? The old crew-cut golfer.

Some of the old Forum writers, including the elder Kolpack, had knowledge and integrity.

SDbison
05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Calling him a 'columnist' is a bit of a stretch. A good columnist has knowledge. A good columnist doesn't try to imitate the tabloids. A good columnist can say that he/she is there to sell papers - which has truth - but the role is larger than that.

A good columnist works to 'educate.'

We've lost sight of what good journalism is - in most of our news.

It's not about being a 'homer' at all. If a real journalist is going to present an opposing view of an issue, that person needs to have a large knowledge base, a historical perspective, and a desire to serve people.

The person that I'm writing about has 'none' of the above...except for the 'trying to sell papers' part. That's all. It's cheap journalism that doesn't match up with the programs that are being covered.

Example: Bill O'Reilly sells big for Fox - but he is there to incite anger and hatred - and to sell advertising. Every cable station has one or two of them. But simply because it sells doesn't mean that it's good...or good for the audience.

I don't love to hate anyone. But I 'do' dislike the way that the Bison programs are sometimes dragged through the tabloidian mud simply to sell papers, and I really dislike it when it's done in an attempt to drag other schools into the mud with us. If there were a real scandal I would expect it to be covered in as much detail as possible. But what we read from this guy rarely has to do with 'scandal.' And rarely does it have to do with educating the public. That's a little bit difficult to do with such limited knowledge, or the apparent lack of desire to learn.

The word that comes to mind is 'hack.'

Ed Schultz was hard to stomach at times - but he had knowledge - and he was passionate.

Boyd Christiansen had knowledge and great integrity.

Who was the old Channel 4 sports guy? name...name? I loved to hate him, but he was a professional. He had knowledge - and passion. I respected him. What's the name? The old crew-cut golfer.

Some of the old Forum writers, including the elder Kolpack, had knowledge and integrity.
Jim Adelson?

missingnumber7
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Said local media person is a waste of both paper space, ink, and internet bandwith. I have ignored him since the move to d1 because he is both incapable of admitting he was wrong because we didnt' fall flat on our faces without UND and his drivel is barely worth D2 Moorhead st. let alone Minnesota State University Moorhead.

missingnumber7
05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
i think when our bball team beat wisconsin there was some shock there

Shock by the rest of the country. The thing that amazed me, and I spent time around the team that season with the class Miles taught, was they had circled that game because of the similarities between the teams. The coaching staff had convinced the players that they diserved to be there, that they had abilities that allowed them to compete with them, and that they could beat them.

Bison Dan
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Said local media person is a waste of both paper space, ink, and internet bandwith. I have ignored him since the move to d1 because he is both incapable of admitting he was wrong because we didnt' fall flat on our faces without UND and his drivel is barely worth D2 Moorhead st. let alone Minnesota State University Moorhead.

Right on!!

CaBisonFan
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Jim Adelson?

Yes!

thanks

Scooter1
05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I tend to like McFooley articles. I'll use one tomorrow when I am done fishing. He has such a high suck factor that it cuts down the clean up time if I line the fish cleaning table with a mcfooley article before I start. Maybe Brawny paper towels should study him.

FarSouth Bison
05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the guy you are talking about from channel 4 was Jim Adelson, the guy new his stuff, and was ten times better than any of the local guy's now.

CaBisonFan
05-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I think the guy you are talking about from channel 4 was Jim Adelson, the guy new his stuff, and was ten times better than any of the local guy's now.

You got that right!

MN_BISON
05-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Jim was good, enjoyed his Sunday morning show and hole in one show. Does anyone remember the sports guy KX4 had in the mid 90's? I can't recall his name but he was from the east coast and was probably the best sports guy the area had seen in quite some time in my opinion. I think he had a radio call in show too. Then all the sudden he was gone, I think he took a job down in Florida. :confused:

sambini
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Jim Adelson is retired and living in Mesa,AZ. He was a pioneer of TV sports in North Dakota. He had games on saturdays on channell 4. He and Russ Smith of Minot did the state basketball tourneys. He was also the radio voice of BISON in the 80s on KQWB with Sam Neis. He gave Ed Schultz his start. Two Rolls no coffee was a trade mark saying of Jim+++

FarSouth Bison
05-10-2008, 01:20 PM
That saying rates right up their with Scotty millers My Oh My. Not sure who Mn Bison is talking about, but I do recall their was a sports guy that left the local market and moved south.

sambini
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jdubs21
05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I think the shock was how fast our program grew in just a few years....our football team is a perenial powerhouse yes...but to jump right into a bigger division and have the kind of success we did is shocking for all sports, lets see:

Girls bball-Beat minnesota handily at home the same year they were in the NCAA tourney

Mens bball-Wins AT Wisconsin and Maquette whom were both ranked nationally

Football-3 wins over FBS teams, one of them being in a power confrence of the big 10

Its amazing how far we have come in a few years....where are we gonna be in 5 more years? :)

d3boys
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Jim was good, enjoyed his Sunday morning show and hole in one show. Does anyone remember the sports guy KX4 had in the mid 90's? I can't recall his name but he was from the east coast and was probably the best sports guy the area had seen in quite some time in my opinion. I think he had a radio call in show too. Then all the sudden he was gone, I think he took a job down in Florida. :confused:

I believe you are talking about moulten (spelling) David
he was great on the radio with a show like dan hammers
not very good looking so he was better on radio then tv
face for radio

CaBisonFan
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Jim Adelson is retired and living in Mesa,AZ. He was a pioneer of TV sports in North Dakota. He had games on saturdays on channell 4. He and Russ Smith of Minot did the state basketball tourneys. He was also the radio voice of BISON in the 80s on KQWB with Sam Neis. He gave Ed Schultz his start. Two Rolls no coffee was a trade mark saying of Jim+++

I'd forgotten all of that. Thanks sambini !

Adelson had a real flair about him, and he brought the right kind of attention to area sports. He was an entertainer, and he also knew what he was talking about.

In other words, he sold his product 'and' helped area programs. He'd criticize something when it was deserved - but his primary goal wasn't to stir things up. He had the balance.

sambini
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
He was a pioneer in high school sports CA BISON.