PDA

View Full Version : Would you take him II ??

90BISON
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
In keeping with the whole theme of would you want this player on your team, the topic on the radio this morning on Eddy's show (Mike Morken filling in) which is on KFYR out here revolved around UND letting Bobby Stroup go and what people thought about that. Comparing the charges that Mr. Stroup has been charged with to the QB from LSU or Rhett Bomar makes those guys look like saints.

They were saying on the radio show that some other NSIC schools are expressing some interest in picking him up for football, I'm wondering if that is before or after his prison stint?? What is up with that!! These are serious charges! So apparently no matter how serious a crime you have committed, as long as you aren't currently sitting in prison, and you are a good enough player, somebody will always let you play.:smh:

cbline
05-07-2008, 03:41 PM
In the words of King Arthur from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail":

"Run away! Run away!" from Stroup.

56BISON73
05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
In keeping with the whole theme of would you want this player on your team, the topic on the radio this morning on Eddy's show (Mike Morken filling in) which is on KFYR out here revolved around UND letting Bobby Stroup go and what people thought about that. Comparing the charges that Mr. Stroup has been charged with to the QB from LSU or Rhett Bomar makes those guys look like saints.

They were saying on the radio show that some other NSIC schools are expressing some interest in picking him up for football, I'm wondering if that is before or after his prison stint?? What is up with that!! These are serious charges! So apparently no matter how serious a crime you have committed, as long as you aren't currently sitting in prison, and you are a good enough player, somebody will always let you play.:smh:

Question for you. So lets say this player actually gets convicted serves his time or is placed on probation. Are you saying that he shouldnt be allowed to play football??? Should he be allowed to work????
What if hes not convicted???? PL

90BISON
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Question for you. So lets say this player actually gets convicted serves his time or is placed on probation. Are you saying that he shouldnt be allowed to play football??? Should he be allowed to work????
What if hes not convicted???? PL

As for the first question, NO, he shouldn't be allowed to play at this time. Should he be allowed to work, absolutely. Will his current / possible future criminal record affect his potential job possibilities, absolutely, which he is going to find out the hard way. Even if he's not convicted, past results are almost always indicative of future performance. Can he straighten up and turn things around, absolutely, and I hope he does for his sake, but that is up to no one but him.

As Craig Bohl and others with some integrity have said in the past, "playing football is a priviledge", it's not a right. This kid sounds like he was very talented, was probably on scholly, and like some other people that age, is probably now finding out / will find out the true consequences of his actions. A real man takes responsibility for his actions and lives with the consequences, they don't run from the cops (more than once).

A somewhat unintended consequence of giving people a pass (not necessarily the first time) is what about his teammates? He didn't just let himself down, he let his team down. If I'm the 2nd stringer playing behind him, and I work hard, keep my nose clean, do everything I'm supposed to do and somebody who does exactly the opposite of all those things just get a pass because he is "a very good player", thanks but I'll go somewhere else and play for someone with higher standards. Kids will rise to the level of your expectations.

bisonmike2
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know what the kid from UND was released for?

90BISON
05-07-2008, 08:01 PM

It has actually been talked about in a couple other threads, I know the smack thread, "How Much Worse Can it Get", and I think in one other one. It was also talked about on a couple different radio stations and I think I read an article on In-Forum.com this morning.

NorthernBison
05-07-2008, 08:08 PM

After an April 5 incident he was charged with simple assault. He was suspended and didn't finish spring workouts.

Friday he got into trouble again and faces charges of burglary, terrorizing, and fleeing. The immediate result was the dismissal from the team.

Rumor is that all involved an ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend in addition to young Stroup.

Several other threads have touched on this story.

bisonmike2
05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
After an April 5 incident he was charged with simple assault. He was suspended and didn't finish spring workouts.

Friday he got into trouble again and faces charges of burglary, terrorizing, and fleeing. The immediate result was the dismissal from the team.

Rumor is that all involved an ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend in addition to young Stroup.

Several other threads have touched on this story.

Thanks for the update. I've been away for several days and unable to read every thread thorougly...yet.

DORMIE
05-08-2008, 04:54 PM
What puzzles me and a reason I have no respect for the athletic department at UND is, after the Jan 2007 arrest for disorderly conduct that gave him 2 years probation plus community service he was not suspended for any games in 2008. This seems to be a patern at UND especially with the hockey team. Win at all costs with no decipline. With his arrests in January and April of 2008, he still was involved in spring practice. Where was Coach Lennon in the beginning of all this. Maybe if they had gotten his attention, he might have straightned out.

90BISON
05-08-2008, 08:44 PM
What puzzles me and a reason I have no respect for the athletic department at UND is, after the Jan 2007 arrest for disorderly conduct that gave him 2 years probation plus community service he was not suspended for any games in 2008. This seems to be a patern at UND especially with the hockey team. Win at all costs with no decipline. With his arrests in January and April of 2008, he still was involved in spring practice. Where was Coach Lennon in the beginning of all this. Maybe if they had gotten his attention, he might have straightned out.

Most of us have "been there, done that", maybe not to this extreme, or for some people maybe worse. As with most poorly guided activities that you know you shouldn't be doing, the longer you get away with it with no consequences, the more emboldened you get, the harder the fall usually is when somebody finally does say "no more". I like to call some of these life events a "course correction" or the old "attitude adjusment".:(