PDA

View Full Version : The first team/second team depth chart

OldBison
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
It is likely that within the next 2-3 weeks the Bison coaches will be releasing the depth chart after they review the tape of the spring game. I didn't go to the spring game, so I don't know if I have guys lined up in the correct sides but I thought I would take a jab at what it may look like.

This mock depth chart is based solely on what I have read, both in the Forum and on this forum and after talking to friends who did go to the spring game. Positions are listed with my projected first team and second team with the possibility of a recruit seeing time as a second stringer due to injuries or athleticism listed in parentheses. The parenthetic names are my POA of who may get a chance to contribute, however, I suspect only Taufetee will for sure.

My best guess after spring practice, obviously things could look much different after fall practice:

Offense
Position-1st/2nd (2008 recruit?)

QB- Mertens/Brecke (Mohler)
RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Heckendorf/Schultenover
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
C- Harrington/Septak (Lund)
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense
Position-1st/2nd (recruit)

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DT- Gratzek/Danilkowicz (Taufetee)
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Humber/Hazley-Freeman
MLB- Henry/Anderson (Reid)
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Washingon/Schultenover
KR- Williams/McNorton

To reiterate my disclaimer, I did not attend the spring game. I don't know what sides Boyer and Johnson have been playing on as DE. I recognize that Johnson could be 2nd string DT after spring but he is still listed as a DE. I don't know what side Kittleson and Hazley-Freeman play on and/or which starters they back up (or if Kittelson is backup to both). This list is simply for comment, nothing else.

The other question is, while the coaches may list a two deep roster, the truth is some on the second team may never see the field. For example, last year the coaches said the OL was deep. In reality, Safe and Buckman took nearly every snap. Only Septak and Foster came in to play OG or C. How many of these second teamers will see the field? Guesses?

'True' depth, as in those who will play at 7200' above sea level and give the starters a blow on Sept. 13, will be invaluable if we are to hang in with the Pokes:hide:

So, there you have it, my best guess :bow:

SDbison
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
It is likely that within the next 2-3 weeks the Bison coaches will be releasing the depth chart after they review the tape of the spring game. I didn't go to the spring game, so I don't know if I have guys lined up in the correct sides but I thought I would take a jab at what it may look like.

This mock depth chart is based solely on what I have read, both in the Forum and on this forum and after talking to friends who did go to the spring game. Positions are listed with my projected first team and second team with the possibility of a recruit seeing time as a second stringer due to injuries or athleticism listed in parentheses. The parenthetic names are my POA of who may get a chance to contribute, however, I suspect only Taufetee will for sure.

My best guess after spring practice, obviously things could look much different after fall practice:

Offense

RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Williams/McNorton

To reiterate my disclaimer, I did not attend the spring game. I don't know what sides Boyer and Johnson have been playing on as DE. I recognize that Johnson could be 2nd string DT after spring but he is still listed as a DE. I don't know what side Kittleson and Hazley-Freeman play on and/or which starters they back up (or if Kittelson is backup to both). This list is simply for comment, nothing else.

The other question is, while the coaches may list a two deep roster, the truth is some on the second team may never see the field. For example, last year the coaches said the OL was deep. In reality, Safe and Buckman took nearly every snap. Only Septak and Foster came in to play OG or C. How many of these second teamers will see the field? Guesses?

'True' depth, as in those who will play at 7200' above sea level and give the starters a blow on Sept. 13, will be invaluable if we are to hang in with the Pokes:hide:

Great summary......always nice to have something to ponder before the coaches list comes out. One comment, I hope McNorton gives a good push for #2 runningback spot in the fall. Nothing better than some competition to bring out the best! BTW, Rep points to you!

SlickVic
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM
id say if bowman comes back to normal him and j rich will be the starters with nate being the nickel but courtney all have some say in that...regardless our defense should be dominant

Gully
05-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Great summary......always nice to have something to ponder before the coaches list comes out. One comment, I hope McNorton gives a good push for #2 runningback spot in the fall. Nothing better than some competition to bring out the best! BTW, Rep points to you!

DJ showed some potential but at this point he's not close to Pat P. as far as I could see. I do hope he sees the field, both for depth for this year but also to build experience for his soph year where he'll probably be the 1 or 2 guy.

90BISON
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
DJ showed some potential but at this point he's not close to Pat P. as far as I could see. I do hope he sees the field, both for depth for this year but also to build experience for his soph year where he'll probably be the 1 or 2 guy.

Things could improve between now and fall for DJ and Voitlander, but I think they are both at least a year behind Roehl & Pat P, which is exactly where they should be, so that next year (2009) barring injuries we're again at least 3 deep almost interchangeable at tailback.

90BISON
05-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Offense

RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Williams/McNorton

Nice summary. Hard to disagree with anything right now except maybe some serious push for playing time from some of the newer defensive guys by the time the first game rolls around, which you kind of eluded to. I'm wondering if the coaching / playing time philisophy isn't going to change a bit this coming year with potential playoffs on the horizon. I'm thinking/guessing that a lot more guys will see a lot more playing time (in the runaway games) so that come crunch time / inevitable injuries you don't see such a big dropoff in talent just due to sheer lack of minutes.

X-Factor
05-07-2008, 03:36 AM
The only change I would make is Bowman at CB. I am hopeful he heals up 100% after the spine surgery, and if he does he would grade out as the top dog.

On paper this 2008 team looks like a wild animal waiting to be let loose. Looking at that depth chart it is simply stacked top to bottom. On defense I think they have the potential to be scary good. We did lose Joe, but gain some fast DE's, Tauf, and a whole slew of CB's. Joe's backup (Henry) isn't exactly a slouch either. Plus we have Lardinois, that guy alone can make the whole defense look good.

CaBisonFan
05-07-2008, 07:05 AM

Offense

RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Williams/McNorton

Thanks for the bold adventure into the depth chart. I appreciate the info, and the opinions. This looks like one helluva team.

Here's my take on the season...from an earlier post.

10-1....trip to the national title game...but not against App. State. They will be upset early. We blow out other teams in the playoffs. Troy State type of finish in the title game, but it could go either way. We'll be rated #2 behind App. State early, and then settle in at #1. But there will be an upset at home by a somewhat unexpected opponent...so we drop a ways, but still make the playoffs. We win a close one at UNI...and we blow out Wyoming in a CMU type of game. We share the Gateway with one other team.

Tyler & Ramon make #1 All-American team. Both are drafted. Mertens makes 1st-Team All-Conference. Over-all, the Bison put 8 or 9 guys on the All-Conference team. :nod:

As for the depth chart and some comments about DJ, I think that he will have to earn his time on the field, which will be good for him. We're fortunate to have some depth there now. With this kind of depth, we would have run the table last year. We became thin in a few critical areas. If DJ can get a few carries a game to begin with, that will be good. Start him slowly and let the veterans get most of the carries. We've finally built the roster to the point where most players can come off their redshirt year and 'not' be thrown to the dogs immediately, unless they're a major, major talent. When DJ is a sophomore, then he'll get his chance, if he's earned it.

The best news appears to be in the defensive backfield...and the defensive line. Depth & talent in both areas, with some experience. Maybe a decent pass rush and some very athletic DB's. Against the spread, these two areas will be crucial. Rotation of players will be big also. The spread really appears to wear teams down.

I predict that Matt Anderson will make an impact to the point where the coaches will have to create playing time for him. I like his attitude.

OldBison
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Tyler & Ramon make #1 All-American team. Both are drafted. Mertens makes 1st-Team All-Conference. Over-all, the Bison put 8 or 9 guys on the All-Conference team. :nod:

The best news appears to be in the defensive backfield...and the defensive line. Depth & talent in both areas, with some experience. Maybe a decent pass rush and some very athletic DB's. Against the spread, these two areas will be crucial. Rotation of players will be big also. The spread really appears to wear teams down.

I predict that Matt Anderson will make an impact to the point where the coaches will have to create playing time for him. I like his attitude.

Tyler Henry or Tyler Roehl All-American? :D

I agree, DB appears to be a strength, and I think the DL has the potential to be better, but I still wonder about depth in the interior of the line. What does it mean when a fairly light (~260 lbs not an ideal DT weight) RFr DE is being rotated in at DT (Johnson)? I suspect, but don't know, that it means we are thin there, talent-wise.

I think every team every year has areas where depth is questionable, either by numbers or by talent. And I think that depth rotates from position to position every year on every team. I don't think there is any question we are thin at QB, number wise. I hope either Mohler or Wentz come in this summer to work out, learn the playbook and perhaps add some depth. We may be thin at DT/NG, talent-wise, but that is a guess at this point. With Henry and Beson hurt at MLB, there is no question we are thin in numbers at that position, that is why Anderson was moved.

QB and MLB were strengths of Bison teams the past two years. That may not be the case this year but that likely depends on players staying healthy/injury-free, and in that regard the Bison are starting in a hole at MLB.

OldBison
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=OldBison;191215] I don't think there is any question we are thin at QB, number wise. I hope either Mohler or Wentz come in this summer to work out, learn the playbook and perhaps add some depth.[QUOTE]

No sooner did I express concern that the Bison are thin at QB, numbers wise, then I found this article. It just goes to show you, things could always be worse:blush:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=408749

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Tyler Henry or Tyler Roehl All-American? :D

I agree, DB appears to be a strength, and I think the DL has the potential to be better, but I still wonder about depth in the interior of the line. What does it mean when a fairly light (~260 lbs not an ideal DT weight) RFr DE is being rotated in at DT (Johnson)? I suspect, but don't know, that it means we are thin there, talent-wise.

I think every team every year has areas where depth is questionable, either by numbers or by talent. And I think that depth rotates from position to position every year on every team. I don't think there is any question we are thin at QB, number wise. I hope either Mohler or Wentz come in this summer to work out, learn the playbook and perhaps add some depth. We may be thin at DT/NG, talent-wise, but that is a guess at this point. With Henry and Beson hurt at MLB, there is no question we are thin in numbers at that position, that is why Anderson was moved.

QB and MLB were strengths of Bison teams the past two years. That may not be the case this year but that likely depends on players staying healthy/injury-free, and in that regard the Bison are starting in a hole at MLB.

With Henry returning in the fall and Brower coming back to join the LB group, I would say that it will be more a question of how to get eveybody playing time. Henry, Maresh and Humber starting. Kittelson, Hazley-Freeman, Anderson, and Brower will all be fighting for playing time. Dont forget that Blake Sczepanski looked good this spring and Luke Senger is also part of that group. Last time a checked the Bison only play 3 LB.

runtheoption
05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
With the guys the Bison have playing 2 deep, I expect the special teams to also pick it up a notch this year. We have some exceptional athletes whose only chance to see the field (barring injuries and the occasional rest for the starters) may be on special teams.

You look at the backups at WR/RB/TE and the LB/DE/Secondary, we have some guys that can really fly to the ball and make big hits or provide the big blocks to spring a guy for some long returns.

walknroehl
05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
What about throwing Gary Williams in the WR mix?

d3boys
05-09-2008, 01:35 AM
What about throwing Gary Williams in the WR mix?

I think williams is going to be a factor this fall
lots of talent

BisonNeil
05-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I think williams is going to be a factor this fall
lots of talent

Agreed. But will he beat out Shamen for a #2 spot, that is the question.

Jdubs21
05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I am guessin williams will have a good shot with shamens injury problems, its tough on that small of frame, im not taking anything away from shamen cuz he is the most electrifying player on the team but his size is probably the reason for alot of his injuries, but then again his size is what makes him so fast and shifty

X-Factor
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I dunno, does shamen even have good enough hands to be a #2 in front of all of these other WRs? I know he has been working on it but that has always been his achilles heel. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the guy do well but I think he is best utilized as a return man and reverse direction plays. My guess is that Williams will be the other #2 this fall, or if Holloway can learn the playbook, he might be it.

sambini
05-18-2008, 04:07 AM

Offense
Position-1st/2nd (2008 recruit?) Well done Old Bison+++s/Brecke (Mohler)
RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Williams/McNorton

Well done Old Bison++++++

BisonNeil
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Offense

RB- Roehl/Paschall
FB- Jangula/Vandal
WR- Belquist/Washington
TE- Wurzbacher/Smith
LT- Ebel/Arndt
LG- Septak/Richard
RG- Foster/Cornick
RT- Buckman/Backowski

Defense

DE- Lardinois/Boyer
NG- Fairbairn/Phillips
DE- Compton/Johnson
OLB- Maresh/Kittelson
CB- Agbetola/Mitchell
SS- Belmont/Lemon
FS- Schommer/Eaves
CB- Richardson/Bowman

Special Teams
K- Bibeau/Obarski
P- Prelvitz/(Obarski)
KR- Williams/McNorton

Kudos to you OldBison!!! You were very close in the depth chart you listed after the spring game, over a month ago. Pretty damn good since you didn't have benefit of watching the game tapes :)

You basically nailed the offense, other than the fact that LT has not yet been resolved and Wellenstein is the backup RG rather than Cornick. But, you basically got 20 out of 22 positions alignments correct, a 91% clip!!!!!!!!!!!

On D you nearly did as well. You nailed the line since you penciled in Taufetee as a possible backup when he arrives. At LB you got the 1 & 2s correct (not necessarily by side) except for Sczepanski. From all the hype we all heard about Hazley-Freeman being all over the field, that was a good guess. I think it is very interesting, however, that a walk-on Sczepanski beat out a scholarship player for backup. I wonder if he wins the extra one the Bison have laying around?

The DBs were not quite as good to you, but not bad. Who would have thunk that Melvin Thomas would come back and beat out Eaves after all we heard about the kid from Illinois. Your guess of Courtney Mitchell was probably a stretch since he missed some time so I am not too surprised you were wrong there with Derrius Colvin getting the nod at backup. DB has to be deep though with Eaves and Mitchell out there ready to contribute.

All in all I give you 19 out of 22 on defense with a total of 39 out of 44 for ~89% correct guess rate. Nice Job!!!!

silkamilkamonico
05-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't think Shamen sees the field much outside of special teams. He was really only used last year in gadget plays, and they worked out well. He'll get his touches like that, but I think when NDSU wants to really throw, they will have the true WR's in.

EagleBison
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
It's nice to see players with playing time as backups last year moving to the starting positions this year. I still see backups that could be as good as the starters in this depth chart. Should be another great year for the Bison.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
It's nice to see players with playing time as backups last year moving to the starting positions this year. I still see backups that could be as good as the starters in this depth chart. Should be another great year for the Bison.

Your point is right on, and I would add this:

Last year the Bison had a depth chart, but many players never saw the field. For example, the OL was two deep but the only backups that had meaningful snaps during games were Foster and Septak. The backup tackles rarely got in the game when it was still a game.

What will interest me is how many players on the current depth chart see the field during the game to give the starters a blow. That will be really important against WY, IMO.