PDA

View Full Version : Which Gateway team?

CaBisonFan
05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Who will be the strong teams in the Gateway...the contenders?

This isn't a survey. It's a serious question.

BisoninNWMN
05-05-2008, 01:56 AM
I think besides the Bison, UNI and SUI will be the teams to beat. We have the adv. over SUI being at home but UNI, on the road, will be tough. Youngstown will be tough at home but we should win. I don't think any of the other teams will challenge us. Jacks at the end year will be a good game but I don't think it will be close after last yrs loss (remember SDSU fans chanting....over-rated)!!! The Gateway will be very strong yr in and yr out. I could see 4 teams making the playoffs this yr.

Top 4: Bison
UNI
SUI
YSU

All will make the playoffs. My prediction.....what's the thought out there!!!:D

ndsubison1
05-05-2008, 03:23 AM

Strong teams: UNI, NDSU, SIU, YSU

Contenders: The top 4 plus SDSU and WIU could contend too

Conference predictions:
1. Northern Iowa
2. NDSU
3. Southern Illinois
4. Youngstown St.
5. Western Illinois
6. SDSU
7. Missouri St.
8. Illinois St.
9. Indiana St.

RunDMc34
05-05-2008, 04:17 AM
Heres how I got it

1.NDSU
2. Youngstown
3. UNI
4. SUI
5. Western Ill
6. Ill St.
7. SDSU
8. Missouri St.
227th. Indiana St.

Da_Bison
05-05-2008, 04:24 AM
My top 4

NDSU
YSU
SIU
UNI

NDSUstudent
05-05-2008, 04:34 AM
In no order....
NDSU
YSU
SIU
UNI

Watch out for Missouri State and maybe WIU. I'm still not sure about the Jacks, they have potential but they seem to perpetually dig themselves into opening season holes and that damage is a lot easier to overcome in a 5 team conference then a 9 team conference.

X-Factor
05-05-2008, 04:51 AM
I don't know enough about each team to really make an accurate prediction, but your contenders should be 1-7 on the list that ming01 has. Missouri State really had a young offensive team last year and they could potentially win some games. Even still, I think WIU, SDSU, and MSU are probably long shots for the conference title this fall but you never know one of them might kick one of the top 4 out and back into the playoffs with 8 wins.

I don't know much about SIU other than Dale Lennon is their coach and they are losing Nick Hill at QB (3175 yards, 71.5%, 28TD, 7 INT) those are not bad stats by the way!! They also lose both starting WR and their RB. They had 18 seniors.

UNI can still be good, but I doubt nearly quite as good as last year. They lost 4 of 5 on the OL (that includes 2 NFL draft pick OT's), QB Eric Sanders, both of their starting CB's due to parties, and a few LB's. Pat Grace should be their new QB. UNI had 19 seniors.

YSU is losing QB Tom Zetts (not nearly the caliber of Hill or Sanders, but none the less a starting QB) and 1 starting WR. They had 23 Seniors.

SDSU had 18 seniors.

WIU 14 seniors.

MSU 8 SENIORS!!

This is why they have a really good shot this year to move up in the standings IMO.

I know this is a Bison forum so the chances of us being 100% subjective are slim, but the truth is that the Bison should definitely be considered the preseason favorite for the Gateway title just based on what we are returning from last year. However, there are a lot of games to be played between now and season's end.

For comparisons sake, NDSU had 11 seniors so we really are sitting pretty well right now, as long as we don't have any more injuries. :D

HerdBot
05-05-2008, 05:04 AM

UNI, Youngstown, and SIU are always good but Western Illinois could make a splash. SDSU will be good too.

THE BEST

Youngstown State
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2008/2008%20Quick%20Facts.pdf
Returning starters - 16 (8 offense, 5 defense, 3 special teams)

Last year was ranked #18 and missed playoffs. Have won 4 Championships so they are the most consistant team.

Northern Iowa
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008-FB-Prospectus.pdf
Returning starters - 14 (6 offense, 7 defense, 1 special teams)

Great team every year with a great coach. They are losing 2 offensive lineman to the NFL but they are a great program and have developed many NFL players, most notably Kurt Warner.

Southern Illinois
They haven't posted their media guide yet but I checked their roster from last year and they are losing 5 starters on offense (QB, RB, 2WR, RT) and 3 on defense (T,LB,CB) so they should be REALLY GOOD! Although changing your coaching staff can set you back substantially. I'm sure Dale Lennon will do a great job.

Did you kno the last time SIU was out of the top 20 was in September of 2003. Brandon Jacobs, starting RB for the Giants, played at SIU.

Western Illinois
Haven't posted the media guide but they only had 11 seniors on the team last year. While we beat them, we were behind until we picked off the silly WR pass that turned the game around. Competition or common opponents? They needed 4 OT's to beat SDSU at home. Beat SFA in Texas by 19. Lost to Southern Illinos by 1 point. Lost to Youngston by 1 TD. Could be a GREAT team.

South Dakota State
Didn't look into it but we all know they will be competitive.

THE REST

Missouri State
Could be a suprise. Only lost 9 Seniors on a team that went 6-5 and 5-1 at home. Although they really sucked on the road, we go to their house this year. Scores indicate they can't compete with the big dogs week in and week out on the road

Illinois State - Didn't check into it but they didn't impress me last year although they were banged up. Traditionally a very competitive team. They just had 3 guys sign NFL contracts and 1 was drafted in the CFL.

Indiana State - Don't think so.

PREDICTIONS (all of the top 6 teams are going to be great)
1) NDSU (better and deeper than last years team)
2) YOUNGSTOWN (of the 3 biggest teams UNI, SIU,YOUNSTOWN), returning most starters not counting teams that changed coaches)
3) NORTHERN IOWA (losing too many o-lineman)
4) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS (new coaching staff is too much)
5) SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (starts off too slow, won't be able to catch up)
6) WESTERN ILLINOIS (could suprise, returning lots of starters)
7) ILLINOIS STATE
8) MISSOURI STATE
9) INDIANA STATE

bisonhusker
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
SDSU chanting over-rated.....I am still angry.

stevdock
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Western Illinois
Haven't posted the media guide but they only had 11 seniors on the team last year. While we beat them, we were behind until we picked off the silly WR pass that turned the game around. Competition or common opponents? They needed 4 OT's to beat SDSU at home. Beat SFA in Texas by 19. Lost to Southern Illinos by 1 point. Lost to Youngston by 1 TD. Could be a GREAT team.

Also if you look at the UNI game they lost 42-3 at WIU I believe. So while they had alot of close losses, they also did have a big blowout against the conference champ. Which IF you just look at that game we were light years behind UNI. UNI just dominated them from start to finish that game.

99Bison
05-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Western Illinois

Also if you look at the UNI game they lost 42-3 at WIU I believe. So while they had alot of close losses, they also did have a big blowout against the conference champ. Which IF you just look at that game we were light years behind UNI. UNI just dominated them from start to finish that game.

Come on now, a single comparitive score... isn't even relevant. How about Illinois St. then?

stevdock
05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
It was the only game where both us and UNI played common opponents at the same place, either both at home and on the road. It was the one game where we could compare to someone in the Top 5. Yes we won the game, but it definitely wasn't as dominating as what UNI did to them. And WIU also had a little more to play for against them. At that point if WIU won out they would have made the playoffs. Losing to them eliminated them from the playoffs.

ndsubison1
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm going to change my conference predictions.

I gotta put YSU 1st because they play us, UNI, and SIU at home.
1. Youngstown St.
2. NDSU
3. Southern Illinois
4. Northern Iowa
5. Western Illinois
6. SDSU
7. Missouri St.
8. Illinois St.
9. Indiana St.

Bison Dan
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Western Illinois

I was at the W. Ill game and they are very similar to SDSU. Very big and strong team but lacking in the skill positions. We were just coming off the big win @ C.M. and we played like crap the first half - shot ourselves in the foot many times. Look at Ill State they played everyone in the conference pretty close and we could have named the score.

sambini
05-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Thisa league will be a dog fight. Be ready to play week in and out+++

CaBisonFan
05-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Thisa league will be a dog fight. Be ready to play week in and out+++

I'm with you sambini. Almost every weekend will bring a new challenge, with a 'lot' of physical play. We're going to need the depth chart.

Bison bison
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
SDSU chanting over-rated.....I am still angry.

well, the team should have won then.

CaBisonFan
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
well, the team should have won then.

I still think that it was a game in the 'elements' that we're not used to playing in. It wasn't super cold, but cold enough to change the way the ball felt. We missed Paschall & Majeski badly. And we gave away several early Christmas presents. We gave a 'good' team a chance to stay in the game with an outstanding team. They had the emotional advantage. If we had played an 'average' game we would have won by 2 or 3 touchdowns. There were so many things that 'could' have gone differently. It was almost like destiny at work.

We weren't over-rated, but we underplayed. Once Tyler got dinged, they were able to overplay us on pass coverage and the rush. Even the short passing game became difficult. It was really frustrating to see such a great team so crippled.

Things couldn't have gone more wrong.

We have much more depth now, especially in the defensive & offensive backfields. We're going to need it. I think that it will result in a share of the conference title and a legitimate run in the playoffs.

I think that UNI will be reloaded and ready to be the team to beat, along with us. The game at UNI should be a thriller. The return of a great rivalry from NCC-past. Youngstown will be third. SDSU will be about #6 or 7.

bisonhusker
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep...and them yelling "Overrated" still pisses me off. I really wish I was there when they lost to a D3 team that didn't have any scholarships. If I was at that game, I would have been one of a few hundred die hard fans that regularly attend SDSU home games.

BisonNeil
05-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Yep...and them yelling "Overrated" still pisses me off. I really wish I was there when they lost to a D3 team that didn't have any scholarships. If I was at that game, I would have been one of a few hundred die hard fans that regularly attend SDSU home games.

I wasn't in Brookings this year, I am sure that would have pissed me off also.

But when the SDSU receiver whipped off his feet on the Bison Logo in the North endzone in 2006, whoa baby, talk about one pissed hombre, that be me...

roadwarrior
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Yep...and them yelling "Overrated" still pisses me off.

And if the tables had been turned going into the game, our fans wouldn't have been doing the same?

bisonhusker
05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep, we have the makings of a rivalry. We will continue to bring down 7,000 fans to their Class B town and creat record crowds, and they will bring up 250 people, all parents up to the Fargodome.

Tatanka
05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Yep, we have the makings of a rivalry. We will continue to bring down 7,000 fans to their Class B town and creat record crowds, and they will bring up 250 people, all parents up to the Fargodome.
Now that's not true... They would bring a lot more than 250, if they could get tickets. :)

BisonNeil
05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
And if the tables had been turned going into the game, our fans wouldn't have been doing the same?

Interesting question Road!

I have been going to Bison football games since 1970, nearly all home games since 1976 (only when work interfered) and many away games. Not your record of course, but I consider myself a decent fan with lots of game experience.

In all those years, I don't remember hearing Bison fans chant "over-rated", but that doesn't mean we haven't.

Perhaps this is because we are always rated higher, who knows. But Road, is your memory different or better on this scenario?

stevdock
05-19-2008, 07:18 PM
The worst over-rated chant that I remember in the Fargodome was when UNC was #1 or #2 and came in for Homecoming. I believe this was in 97 or 98. We scored a TD on our first drive and then blocked their punt for a safety. The students started the chant and we didn't score again until they scored 35 points or so.

90BISON
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Interesting question Road!

I have been going to Bison football games since 1970, nearly all home games since 1976 (only when work interfered) and many away games. Not your record of course, but I consider myself a decent fan with lots of game experience.

In all those years, I don't remember hearing Bison fans chant "over-rated", but that doesn't mean we haven't.

Perhaps this is because we are always rated higher, who knows. But Road, is your memory different or better on this scenario?

1995 Playoff game in GF against the Sue, Kevin Feeney was the Freshman starting QB (took over for Rob Hyland?), seem to remember that chant toward the end of the game while we were blowing the Sue off the field, they had beaten us pretty badly just 2 weeks earlier. It has never happened that often, usually due to our ranking. As for the SDSU game, we have to "put up" before they can "shut up", which sadly we didn't do.

Tatanka
05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
1995 Playoff game in GF against the Sue, Kevin Feeney was the Freshman starting QB (took over for Rob Hyland?), seem to remember that chant toward the end of the game while we were blowing the Sue off the field, they had beaten us pretty badly just 2 weeks earlier. It has never happened that often, usually due to our ranking. As for the SDSU game, we have to "put up" before they can "shut up", which sadly we didn't do.
+ plusity +:(