PDA

View Full Version : Why go pro?

mebisonII
05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Its interesting watching all the discussion about who's going to the NFL and what everyone's best possible route is and also looking at previous players from NDSU who have made or tried to make the transition. It makes me question whether its worth it to try*. I mean, realistically, only a very few players will last in the NFL for more than a few years, and those years are spent bouncing from training camp to camp, 3rd string to the CFL, back to a practice squad, all hoping to get the big call up at game time. But at what price? There's a substantial chance of injury, which the teams can walk away from and leave you to deal with yourself (appalling, in my opinion, but that's another rant). Those injuries can have long-lasting implications as well....an torn ACL or an intra-articular fracture often leads to osteoarthritis, leaving you hobbled at a much earlier age then you would have otherwise. And, while you are bouncing around hoping some team takes an interest, you are delaying opportunities to use your education and teach, coach, be an engineer, start law school, etc. Just makes you wonder if its worth it?

*Note, this is not directed at any particular current or past player...just general observations.

BisonAccountant44
05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I would say it's at least worth a shot. If you even make the practice squad that's a minimum of 79-80k for a season (minimum practice squad salary is $4,700/wk). Say you get lucky enough to be sent to NFL Europe for the year on top of that. That's another 13-18k on top of the practice squad salary, and all of a sudden you're approaching 100k. Then, say you do get lucky enough to then make the team in the NFL. The rookie minimum is $285k, and if you decide to go to the CFL, their average salary is right around 100k there also.

That's a lot of money for a 22-23 year old kid that's just out of college to turn down a shot at when they can continue playing a game they love, for a year or two.

UTH
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Some people feel driven by ambition and a great desire to run with the biggest and baddest kids on the block. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If a guy has a chance to make it to the big stage, and that's what he wants, he should go for it. Anything less is settling for mediocrity.

Don't you want to know???
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/whitesnowstaticfail.gif

silkamilkamonico
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I would say it's simply the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream.

Anyone who signs any sort of contract with any team in the NFL, whether it's a practice squad league minimum contract, or a week long prorated contract, is protected by the NFL union from any sort of injury. Because of the lack of guaranteed contracts in the NFL, the NFL's injury policy is arguably the best in any professional sport.

bisonmike2
05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
There are a million reasons to try and only a handful to not. I tend to think of it this way. Imagine the thing you most like doing in the world and then imagine that someone would be willing to pay you an obscene amount of money to do that. There is always the chance you could get hurt. Heck, I could crash my car on the way home from work tonight, but that doesn't deter me from going to work. Wouldn't you jump at that opportunity, even if it was short lived? I know I would.

TransAmBison
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Its interesting watching all the discussion about who's going to the NFL and what everyone's best possible route is and also looking at previous players from NDSU who have made or tried to make the transition. It makes me question whether its worth it to try*. I mean, realistically, only a very few players will last in the NFL for more than a few years, and those years are spent bouncing from training camp to camp, 3rd string to the CFL, back to a practice squad, all hoping to get the big call up at game time. But at what price? There's a substantial chance of injury, which the teams can walk away from and leave you to deal with yourself (appalling, in my opinion, but that's another rant). Those injuries can have long-lasting implications as well....an torn ACL or an intra-articular fracture often leads to osteoarthritis, leaving you hobbled at a much earlier age then you would have otherwise. And, while you are bouncing around hoping some team takes an interest, you are delaying opportunities to use your education and teach, coach, be an engineer, start law school, etc. Just makes you wonder if its worth it?

*Note, this is not directed at any particular current or past player...just general observations.
Why?

1. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2. You get to play a game for a living.
3. Women. I know, I know, chicks dig engineers and accountants and such, but pro players do have a little edge in some circles. :)

bisonmike2
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Why?

3. Women. I know, I know, chicks dig engineers, SOFTWARE ADMINISTRATORS and accountants and such, but pro players do have a little edge in some circles. :)

Damn right!

Civil06
05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Why?

3. Women. I know, I know, chicks dig engineers and accountants and such, but pro players do have a little edge in some circles. :)

My wife's a lovely gal, and I'm glad I didn't have any competition from pro players.

TransAmBison
05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
My wife's a lovely gal, and I'm glad I didn't have any competition from pro players.
Oh, how little you know! :D

56BISON73
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Of course its worth it. If not then why would a person (in most cases) have played the game his whole life.
You only have a limited time to make the pros. The other opportunities will still be there. PL

CaBisonFan
05-03-2008, 02:22 AM

If it were me, I would have taken the shot because of the excitement & the money...but I know that I'd be paying the price big-time now. Heck...I've had two back surgeries from a high school football injury & pounding the pine in buckets. Even at that level, the wear & tear was pretty bad. It kept me from trying college athletics because I was already limited in my range of motion...not to mention the pain.

I can't believe the guys that have a dozen knee surgeries...among others. They have nothing left in those joints.

Yeah...I would tend to agree with you...but the emotional & financial lure would still probably hook me. A lot of guys would give their left 'n-t' to try it. That's the bottom line.

HerdBot
05-03-2008, 02:34 AM
1) If you manage to stick around for more than 4 or 5 years, you are eligible for the NFL pension, which is sweet. Your pretty much set for life.

2) Being a former NFL player has got to help you in the world of business.

3) Getting the NFL pension means you can spend all your time with your family instead of working. Can you put a price tag on that?

4) NFL is the best in the world. If your Drago and you end up starting with the Patriots, that means your one of the 30 best in the world at your job.

When it's all said and done, even if it takes 10 years off your life, the job would afford you the opportunity to make better use of the time your alive.

56BISON73
05-03-2008, 03:11 AM
One must not forget the most important thing---they love to play the game and the pros allow them to do it at a very high level. PL

Shawn-O
05-03-2008, 03:33 AM
One must not forget the most important thing---they love to play the game and the pros allow them to do it at a very high level. PL

Do you hunt with Dick Cheney? Nice pic!

56BISON73
05-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Dick who???????:D KS turkey 10 1/2 inch beard. PL

99Bison
05-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Why not. People should create the path they want.

56BISON73
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
If a person has dreamed of playing pro ball his whole life why wouldnt he give it a try.
I cant imagine a guy wanting to be a fireman his whole life deciding after he got done with college that he would then fore go firefighting to go into a different field. PL

CaBisonFan
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM

you mean hallidick? 56bison73 has more brains in his left pinky than hallidick.

WildBill
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Rookie FA make NFL rosters all the time. The money and the prestige is well worth it. Not to mention the NFL pension if you play enough games

RodentiaX
05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
It's gotten more common for rookie free agents to make NFL rosters since the NFL reduced the number of rounds from 12.

I'mWithNOSIB
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I laughed when I saw this thread. It's all about playing a game you absolutely love. I played ball when I was younger and even then you have the risk of getting seriously injured. In all honestly, if you ask why go Pro, then you should ask why play football?

The ability to live your dream is what America is all about. :bong:

sambini
05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I laughed when I saw this thread. It's all about playing a game you absolutely love. I played ball when I was younger and even then you have the risk of getting seriously injured. In all honestly, if you ask why go Pro, then you should ask why play football?

The ability to live your dream is what America is all about. :bong:

Right on++++++++