PDA

View Full Version : Is our Home Depot safe?

Bison bison
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=199805

really wouldn't bother me as I'm a Menard's guy.......................

aces1180
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=199805

really wouldn't bother me as I'm a Menard's guy.......................

With the the construction market absolutely booming in Bismarck, I would say the Fargo store is gone...That land is going to bring in a lot of coin.

I like Menard's too, however, I wish they had a better online presence.

cbline
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
It has always amazed me that Menard's, Home Depot, and Lowe's are all within a stone's throw from each other in Fargo. Not suprising that this market might not be able to support all three, now with Moorhead having a new Menard's for the growth on that side of the metro area.

aces1180
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
It has always amazed me that Menard's, Home Depot, and Lowe's are all within a stone's throw from each other in Fargo. Not suprising that this market might not be able to support all three, now with Moorhead having a new Menard's for the growth on that side of the metro area.

Plus Detroit Lakes now has a Menards, so less people from Lakes country are going to Fargo or Fergus Falls to buy their home improvement items.

lakesbison
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
bye bye bismarck store

Bison Dan
05-01-2008, 04:14 PM
With the the construction market absolutely booming in Bismarck, I would say the Fargo store is gone...That land is going to bring in a lot of coin.

I like Menard's too, however, I wish they had a better online presence.

I think If they were going to close it they would have at this time.

BlueBisonRock
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
From an article in the Star Tribune (copied right after identifying the Cottage Grove store as closing):

"Besides the Cottage Grove store, at 7210 E. Point Douglas Road, three of the closings are in Wisconsin -- in Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac and northwest Milwaukee -- and one is in Bismarck, N.D."

It appears that Lakes got this one. Fargo to remain open. Bismarck to close.

TheBisonator
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
They won't close the Fargo store. But I would think that Home Depot might no longer have plans to build a Moorhead store on 34th Street across from Menards anymore.

Lowes was supposed to be part of the new development on 52nd Ave. South, so probably they may hold steady for now.

aces1180
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
From an article in the Star Tribune (copied right after identifying the Cottage Grove store as closing):

"Besides the Cottage Grove store, at 7210 E. Point Douglas Road, three of the closings are in Wisconsin -- in Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac and northwest Milwaukee -- and one is in Bismarck, N.D."

It appears that Lakes got this one. Fargo to remain open. Bismarck to close.

Wow...That really surprises me...They must be going by the size of the market.

bisonmike2
05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Well that ruins my weekend plans. :)

I told my wife I wouldn't drink tommorow night. Well I actually had a pretty nice little Saturday planned. We're going to Home Depot. Buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring. Stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath and Beyond, I don't know. I don't know if we'll have enough time!

/first thing I thought of when I read the story.

Tatanka
05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Whew. The first thing I thought of was all of the ghetto Home Depots I've seen in my lifetime, including all of the extra available help (per se) available out front. Thought there might be a safety concern (again, per se) at the Fargo store. Guess not. :hide:

90BISON
05-01-2008, 05:10 PM
The Bismarck store has never done well since the day it opened. I have been there several times and anytime you drive by the parking lot has NEVER been more than 1/3 full at best. I think being across the street from Menards which has been in Bismarck for 20+ years, and a Lowes opening at exactly the same time wasn't a good scenario. One thing it did do though was to get Menards off their duff. Their customer service historically sucks, but right before the Bismarck Home Depot was going to open they brought in extra people from other stores to try to improve their customer service image, apparently it must have worked because Home Depot has never managed to steal much of Menards market share.

bisonaudit
05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Well that some guy in Atlanta looking at a spreadsheet and nothing else.

Oil's at $115, Baken (sp?) shale is opening up and there's more wind than you can shake a stick at and they're closing the Bismack store in conjunction with a $1 billion scale back in expansion plans?

The Regional managers for Loes and Manards are seeing dollar signs.

met1990
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM

Oil's at $115, Baken (sp?) shale is opening up and there's more wind than you can shake a stick at and they're closing the Bismack store in conjunction with a $1 billion scale back in expansion plans?

Especially with the slowdown in the F-M housing boom, I agree.

90BISON
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM

Agree, might have been a bit premature, but should be very good for Lowes and Menards into the near future.

NDSUstudent
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
They probably should open a home depot in Williston, that is where the growth is really going to take off. I saw one projection that said Wiliston could swell to 40k.

TheBisonator
05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
They probably should open a home depot in Williston, that is where the growth is really going to take off. I saw one projection that said Wiliston could swell to 40k.

I actually heard one source calling Williston "The Wood Buffalo of the United States".

(Wood Buffalo is a rapidly growing city in Northern Alberta that's tripled its population in the past 10 years to about 70,000 due to the shale oil there. It used to be called Fort MacMurray.)

spelunker64
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Didn't suprise me it was Fargo's closing. I always go to Menards, even though I hate it, I seem to just end up there...

Should try Lowe's more

90BISON
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM

I would almost be willing to be a lot of money that the 40K thing will never happen. First, not all of the drilling, unlike the last big boom, is right around Williston. The hottest area lately has been between Parshall and Stanley, so most of the recent and expected future activity is happening almost closer to Minot than it is to Williston. Second, many of the people that work on the rigs themselves are very transient. I would be willing to bet over half don't live anywhere near Williston, mostly because a couple of guys from my area started working out there recently and they work 7 - 12's and have 7 days off. Makes for pretty easy commuting. $100K a year with no college education, not a bad way to make a living if you're young enough to do it.

tjbison
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I would almost be willing to be a lot of money that the 40K thing will never happen. First, not all of the drilling, unlike the last big boom, is right around Williston. The hottest area lately has been between Parshall and Stanley, so most of the recent and expected future activity is happening almost closer to Minot than it is to Williston. Second, many of the people that work on the rigs themselves are very transient. I would be willing to bet over half don't live anywhere near Williston, mostly because a couple of guys from my area started working out there recently and they work 7 - 12's and have 7 days off. Makes for pretty easy commuting. $100K a year with no college education, not a bad way to make a living if you're young enough to do it.

I agree, no way williston hits 40k, all the smaller communities in a 150 mile radius of Williston will benefit more! Stanley sits right in the middle along with Tioga!

sambini
05-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Don't forget the big city of Ray also. Home of former BISON player and coach Shane Hodenfield. Also the home of Sanford Quale another former BISON. And father of Brent and Brian.

OrygunBison
05-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Good. I hope the door hits them in the ass on the way outta town. These big chains are all the same. Just watch in the coming years while they sit on the land and building refusing to sell so that nobody can benefit from the location. It'll be an eyesore in 2 years with no maintenance. All the big chains use the same play book. Scum.

...but then again, where are will you be able to buy crappy tools now??? Oh yeah, Lowes and Menards will still be there.

roadwarrior
05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Didn't suprise me it was Fargo's closing. I always go to Menards, even though I hate it, I seem to just end up there...

Should try Lowe's more

The Bismarck store is closing, not the one in Fargo.

Till
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I just got back from Bismarck and they are already advertising the store closing sale. They have people standing out front of Loew's trying to get traffic.

90BISON
05-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Don't forget the big city of Ray also. Home of former BISON player and coach Shane Hodenfield. Also the home of Sanford Quale another former BISON. And father of Brent and Brian.

Also the former home of my parents and about half my relatives.:nod: Big city might be a bit of a stretch anymore. They hit their peak about 25 years ago.

BigBison
05-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I worked at Menards for 2 years. Worked at the Fargo store for about 3 months back in 2004 and the rest back in my hometown. At that time Fargo Menards was the number 2 store in sales out of about 280 stores. It was #1 in building materials. So Moorhead and DL stores were needed in my opinion. I never cared much for Home Depot, however they did have alot better tools than Menards did, that was about the only reason why I ever went in to a Home Depot. Lowes isnt bad. I could see a Menards going up in Jamestown, Fargo Menards runs ALOT of deliverys out that way.

Herd Mentality
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Good. I hope the door hits them in the ass on the way outta town. These big chains are all the same. Just watch in the coming years while they sit on the land and building refusing to sell so that nobody can benefit from the location. It'll be an eyesore in 2 years with no maintenance. All the big chains use the same play book. Scum.

...but then again, where are will you be able to buy crappy tools now??? Oh yeah, Lowes and Menards will still be there.

Wow, spew some hatred. Ridgid actually makes some of the better tools out there, and they're only sold at Home Depot.

BlueBisonRock
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow, spew some hatred. Ridgid actually makes some of the better tools out there, and they're only sold at Home Depot.

Off topic: I have a long time preference for Craftsman tools which was learned from my father. I have used their lifelong return policy multiple times (for problems I caused).

On topic: Home Depot was in the news quite a bit in 2006 moving to a new CEO just over a year ago while paying the retiring CEO a 'perceived' large severence package. As a company, their earnings and profit have been below expectations likely caused by the problems in the housing market. The stores being closed are reported as being underperforming.