PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your best memories of the Steve Walker era?

CaBisonFan
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Mine...because I was able to be there...was the comeback at Cal Poly in 2007.

When he threw the endzone interception, he looked defeated, and I thought that it was over.

I saw what Steve was made of in the last 3 or 4 minutes. I was in awe.

And after the game-winning pass to Kole...I was in an aisle celebrating...while a Cal Poly fan tried to deck me. It hurt soooo good. :fight:

UTH
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
The most incredible moment I have ever witnessed in the FFD: [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw)]

*that would be the shsu near miss

Ferd
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
The Sam Houston game is number one because I saw it happen.

The Cal Poly game is a close second because I was driving to Fargo from Mpls, irritating my wife by listening to mostly static, and finally pulled into a gas station and listened to the amazing victory.

But... I'll also never forget the feeling I had until the very last play in Brookings. Until the interception I KNEW we had a good chance.

I truly believed "it isn't over til Walker says it's over!"

sambini
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Being at the Cal-Poly game+++++

aces1180
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I still love how cool and collective he was in NDSU's first win over a FBS team against Ball St. Watching the Web cast, he never showed anything but confidence and I knew the Bison had a chance to win the entire game.

Trim
04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I saw many of the the great performances in person, but the best memory for me was listening to the Cal-Poly game. At one point I had sat down on the couch and was starting to rationalize the certain defeat. I was telling myself things like, "Well, it was a great year anyway" and "some days you just don't have it" and stuff like that. But eventually, there I was standing in the kitchen listening to the game with my boy playing on the floor. By this point, I was also texting my wife (who was in Baltimore) about every 30 seconds with an update. I'll never forget that feeling when they pulled it off.

"Are you kidding me!?!" - S. Miller

Bison bison
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Steve mouthing the words 'Holy Sh$t' after the comeback at Davis in '06.

imported_Bisongold
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
The "come-back" games were awesome, but for me it was the Minnesota game of 07. The lead up to the game, the game itself, and the celebrations. Our team getting to play in front of 63,000 fans along with the big ten network! How can you top that! My ultimate dream now is to have a playoff game this year in the Dome. Could you imagine the noise?? Also, the Missoula game was a tremendous comeback but before Steve Walker.

imported_Bisongold
04-29-2008, 05:33 PM
During the Minnesota game, the long run-touchdown by Roehl in the first qrt. had to be as loud as anything ever. It was a very timely touchdown to get us back on track and the crowd noise was deafening.

jeffdaryl3rd
04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
That SHSU game is absolutely one of the best performances in memory. When they took it down and scored I wasn't sure even Steve could bring it back, but he just marched down the field and did it.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
It is Ball State for me. They keyed all over our ground game and Walker lit them up with an air assault that you don't see too often at NDSU.

met1990
04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I have to go with the fake and TD pass to Kole in the SDSU game of '06. That was the best fake I've seen since meeting Ed Schultz.

mebisonII
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I have to go with the fake and TD pass to Kole in the SDSU game of '06. That was the best fake I've seen since meeting Ed Schultz.

heh, heh, that was just a well executed slam :) :nod:

TheBisonator
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
1) The SHSU comeback. I was sitting in the middle of the student section after SHSU scored to make it 38-35, and I was basically catatonic at that point. I was just standing there with a blank look on my face as we got the ball back with 27 secconds left. I was watching Steve drive the O down to the 30 in 14 seconds while all the time I was just looking dazed. Then in the famed YouTube play when the TD happened, I jumped around and the student standing next to me, who I never introduced myself to, who we never said a word to wach other, he and I gave each other a HUGE bear hug while we were both jumping around. This was a guy I never met, but we were both screaming our lungs out. My voice was gone ffor the whole week.

2) The UC Davis comeback in 2006. I watched it on TV in my apartment, cursing at the announcers for their backhanded insults at Fargo and North Dakota. I was flipping off Tony Kays on the TV all 2nd and 3rd quarter, LOL. When the comeback was happening (We started it earlier than Cal-Poly, which meant when we scored our first TD, I knew we had a game), I was watching intently, and when Steve threw the game winning TD to Heckendorf, even though I knew I would get complaints in my building about noise, I screamed like a madman when it happened. I only tried to do that for a few seconds and not do it again so that people next door would think it was just an abberation, but I was jumping around for like five minutes. My father was watching it on TV in Mpls (He had DirecTV with the Sports Pack), and he called me and told me that was one of the most amazing comebacks he had ever seen.

aces1180
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
1) The SHSU comeback. I was sitting in the middle of the student section after SHSU scored to make it 38-35, and I was basically catatonic at that point. I was just standing there with a blank look on my face as we got the ball back with 27 secconds left. I was watching Steve drive the O down to the 30 in 14 seconds while all the time I was just looking dazed. Then in the famed YouTube play when the TD happened, I jumped around and the student standing next to me, who I never introduced myself to, who we never said a word to wach other, he and I gave each other a HUGE bear hug while we were both jumping around. This was a guy I never met, but we were both screaming our lungs out. My voice was gone ffor the whole week.

2) The UC Davis comeback in 2006. I watched it on TV in my apartment, cursing at the announcers for their backhanded insults at Fargo and North Dakota. I was flipping off Tony Kays on the TV all 2nd and 3rd quarter, LOL. When the comeback was happening (We started it earlier than Cal-Poly, which meant when we scored our first TD, I knew we had a game), I was watching intently, and when Steve threw the game winning TD to Heckendorf, even though I knew I would get complaints in my building about noise, I screamed like a madman when it happened. I only tried to do that for a few seconds and not do it again so that people next door would think it was just an abberation, but I was jumping around for like five minutes. My father was watching it on TV in Mpls (He had DirecTV with the Sports Pack), and he called me and told me that was one of the most amazing comebacks he had ever seen.

The UC Davis game was awesome...I was drunk off my ass at my buddy's house and proceeded to drunk dial everyone I knew...Great comeback!

roadwarrior
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
The Steve Walker era can be summed up as a very successful move from D-II to a FCS power.

Bisonguy
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
The Sam Houston State game. I was standing behind the endzone when Kole caught the pass 12 yards in front of me.

G-city Bison Fan
04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Being at UNC's aweful stadium, waving the NDSU flag, after driving 18 hours the day before in the Green Monster with Till and the gang, and seeing Steve almost bring us back in a game we had no business being in.

It was definitely the beginning of something very special and it was very cool being there to witness it.

SlickVic
04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
The Sam Houston State game. I was standing behind the endzone when Kole caught the pass 12 yards in front of me.

my oh my.....

Bison bison
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8uQM6rkpH0

bisonmike2
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Watching him relieve Stauss in the Norther Colorado game. I was so pissed at how badly the Bison were playing. Tony threw 4 or 5 picks. In comes this kid, a redshirt freshmen. Starts slinging the ball everywhere, scrambling around. I knew he was going to be special but I had no idea that he would turn into the best passing QB NDSU has ever had.

aces1180
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Watching him relieve Stauss in the Norther Colorado game. I was so pissed at how badly the Bison were playing. Tony threw 4 or 5 picks. In comes this kid, a redshirt freshmen. Starts slinging the ball everywhere, scrambling around. I knew he was going to be special but I had no idea that he would turn into the best passing QB NDSU has ever had.

Agreed...I was at BWW in south Fargo watching and I knew then and there this player was going to be something special!

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
04-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Not to be a jerk, but I beileve it was the magic man, John Majeski that caught the game winning TD against UC Davis in 2008.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I beileve it was the magic man, John Majeski that caught the game winning TD against UC Davis in 2008.

Yep, it was Majeski not Heck. Heck did catch a huge TD but that was a little earlier in the 2nd half.

CaBisonFan
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Yep, it was Majeski not Heck. Heck did catch a huge TD but that was a little earlier in the 2nd half.

I agree about Majeski. He was special. There was something about his intelligence and leadership on the field that changed the team. When he got hurt last fall, we weren't the same. Losing Paschall was huge also...but Majeski was the ultimate 'non-quarterback' gamer.

He always seemed to find a way to make a monster play just when it was needed.

Didn't he make a play on a kickoff return at Minnesota that might have saved a safety...or something like that? That was a 'heady' play. Can't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember thinking that this kid really had his sh.. together.

And in '06 when Shamen went down, Majeski surprised most people with consistently good returns. He did whatever it took.

tcbison
04-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, when Shamen forgot to take a knee against Minnesota, Majeski fell on the ball. The call ended up being a touchback(luckily) but it was smart of Majeski to recover the ball just in case.

tjbison
04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
My fav, has got to be every game win or lose, every play, just watching Steve "find a way" was great, He is one of those players that rarely had a mental mistake! Thanks Steve nothing can be said for your career at NDSU but AMAZING!!!

BisonNeil
04-30-2008, 02:15 AM
My personal fav are the two knees Walker took at Minneysotah.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tqYuV4c-JY&feature=related

CaBisonFan
04-30-2008, 03:00 AM
My personal fav are the two knees Walker took at Minneysotah.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tqYuV4c-JY&feature=related

Yeah...the crowd went a little crazy then, didn't they? I've just seen the video...but it gives me the chills every time I watch it.

RunDMc34
04-30-2008, 03:13 AM
I would have to say my favorite Walker memory isn't even a football one. So Im sitting in the back of a history class kinda around some football players who are bsing about practice and stuff. And Walker says to Safe something to the effect of "man I was really lighting up the 1st string D today"

I remember thinking to myself who are you? and yeah right you are lighting up the 1st string D.

Well a week or 2 later he gets into that N. Colorado game and just about brings us back, and I was like hmmm maybe he was lighting up our 1st string D. From that moment on I was a huge Walker fan.

MontanaBisonFan
04-30-2008, 03:26 AM
My best memory of Walker is from the second half of the Northern Colorado Game until the end of the South Dakota State game.

Football doesn't get any better than the Walker Way.

Herd Mentality
04-30-2008, 03:26 AM
...when he carded me at Chubs a while back. When I made a comment about the new guy carding me somebody said..."You mean Walker?" I looked and said "Wow. I thought he'd be taller"

bisonmike2
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, when Shamen forgot to take a knee against Minnesota, Majeski fell on the ball. The call ended up being a touchback(luckily) but it was smart of Majeski to recover the ball just in case.

I just about crapped my pants while I was watching that. I also came very close to dropping a fluery of obscenities in the presence of my 2 year old.

Now back to Steve. Last MN game. In the second half. It was a 3rd and long and we were trying to run out the clock. Anyone remember that play where Steve dropped back to pass, is pressured, scrambles and he is running toward the line of scrimmage he jumps in the air just as 2 gophers are hitting him and threads to the needle to a TE for a first down. The play was called back for holding but the whole play was amazing. I remember thinking that we are really going to miss this kid when he's gone.

Bison bison
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM

i don't remember that happening. i remember the ball being kicked and ndsu starting on their 20. didn't see if there was no return or if it was returned to the 20.........................

:( :( :(

bisonmike2
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
i don't remember that happening. i remember the ball being kicked and ndsu starting on their 20. didn't see if there was no return or if it was returned to the 20.........................

I would like to deny all accounts of this happening. I think the refs ruled it on the field that the player gave up, essentially calling the play dead. Whether that was the correct call or not is debatable. Doesn't matter, we won.

Bison Dan
04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I would like to deny all accounts of this happening. I think the refs ruled it on the field that the player gave up, essentially calling the play dead. Whether that was the correct call or not is debatable. Doesn't matter, we won.

It will be interesting what the Bison coaches have said to the return men about it. Anyone want to bet that they all take a knee this year?

tcbison
04-30-2008, 06:12 PM

I can show you the DVD if you like. The end result was NDSU starting on the 20(luckily) but when Shamen flipped the ball to the ref, then Majeski went to cover it.

Bison bison
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
(you're sarcasm detector is broken again tc)

tcbison
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
(you're sarcasm detector is broken again tc)

You're sarcasm detector? Where did you learn english NDB2?

cbline
04-30-2008, 07:11 PM
2007 Minnesota game - Loved the TD pass from Steve to Thor Brown to put NDSU up for good at the start of the 4th quarter. Put the gophers in catch-up mode.

BlueBisonRock
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
2007 Minnesota game - Loved the TD pass from Steve to Thor Brown to put NDSU up for good at the start of the 4th quarter. Put the gophers in catch-up mode.

That would be Thor 'God of Thunder' Brown! :D

90BISON
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
...when he carded me at Chubs a while back. When I made a comment about the new guy carding me somebody said..."You mean Walker?" I looked and said "Wow. I thought he'd be taller"

"and be able to shoot fireballs from his arse" - Braveheart:nod:

56BISON73
05-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I can show you the DVD if you like. The end result was NDSU starting on the 20(luckily) but when Shamen flipped the ball to the ref, then Majeski went to cover it.

I also remember that the ref wanted NO part of the ball at that moment in time.
Plus all of the ex players and coaches in the suite were going---what the F--k did he just do. We all breathed a sigh of relief after the call. Whew. PL

99Bison
05-01-2008, 02:57 AM
When every one doubts him... and he gets the opportunity to come back and show what's up.

bisoneer
05-01-2008, 03:40 AM
There are so many, the UNC game when he first came on the field for the Bison, all the over good games and awesome stats, especially 3rd down conversions and of course the comebacks from ridiculously large deficits. Myfavorite was the Cal Poly game last year on their turf, most people (fans) gave up on them, except the coaches and the players including Walker.

4mcruenomore
05-01-2008, 04:20 AM
The UNC game did it for me, wow. I called one of my buddies in fargo and we talked about this f'n QB, finally we have a real winner we said. Even though we didn't win that game, we knew it was a special beginning.

BraxtonT
05-01-2008, 04:29 AM
This discussion reminds me of the "Who is the best QB the Bison have ever had?"

At least this topic allows for more than one "correct" answer.

I was at the 2004 Northern Colorado game, the 2005 UC Davis game, the 2006 Ball State game, both 2006 & 2007 Minnesota games, the 2007 Sam Houston game, and the 2007 Cal Poly game. I vividly remember watching the 2006 UC Davis game on TV with some friends.

Everyone of those games was magical with Steve playing a pivotal role, but my fondest memory isn't even related to football.

A couple of years ago I took a group of my jr. high volleyball girls to the BBF to watch a match. One of the girl's brother came along to hang out with my son on the trip. These two boys (ages 7 & 8 at the time) had a blast during VB match. Why? A couple college guys were tossing them the mini volleyballs they got when the gals came out on the court. During each timeout, they were throwing these kids passes. It got to the point where the line judges were getting a bit annoyed with what was going on, as the kids were getting close to the court. Anyway, I didn't notice right away who was throwing the balls, but one of them was Steve. Here I am, a dad who is somewhat jealous of his own son! I asked my boy when we left if he knew who was throwing the ball to him. He had no clue, but when I told him he instantly knew that it was a cool thing.

So to you, Steve Walker: Thanks for all the great football memories, but especially for the memory you gave to my son and me that night at the BBF.

OldBison
05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
This discussion reminds me of the "Who is the best QB the Bison have ever had?"

At least this topic allows for more than one "correct" answer.

I was at the 2004 Northern Colorado game, the 2005 UC Davis game, the 2006 Ball State game, both 2006 & 2007 Minnesota games, the 2007 Sam Houston game, and the 2007 Cal Poly game. I vividly remember watching the 2006 UC Davis game on TV with some friends.

Everyone of those games was magical with Steve playing a pivotal role, but my fondest memory isn't even related to football.

A couple of years ago I took a group of my jr. high volleyball girls to the BBF to watch a match. One of the girl's brother came along to hang out with my son on the trip. These two boys (ages 7 & 8 at the time) had a blast during VB match. Why? A couple college guys were tossing them the mini volleyballs they got when the gals came out on the court. During each timeout, they were throwing these kids passes. It got to the point where the line judges were getting a bit annoyed with what was going on, as the kids were getting close to the court. Anyway, I didn't notice right away who was throwing the balls, but one of them was Steve. Here I am, a dad who is somewhat jealous of his own son! I asked my boy when we left if he knew who was throwing the ball to him. He had no clue, but when I told him he instantly knew that it was a cool thing.

So to you, Steve Walker: Thanks for all the great football memories, but especially for the memory you gave to my son and me that night at the BBF.

Way too cool. Thanks for sharing!!

WYOBISONMAN
05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
The win against Sam Houston............no doubt!