PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker Situation at Philadelphia

CaBisonFan
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know about the linebacker situation for the Eagles?

How does it look for Joe to get a good shot at this?

Mr_Meanor
04-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Are they planning on using him as a LB or do they want to move him to FB?

NDSUstudent
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Are they planning on using him as a LB or do they want to move him to FB?

Doesn't Philly run the 3-4, if so then I'd imagine he will be a ILB and also a special teamer.

BisonNeil
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know about the linebacker situation for the Eagles?

How does it look for Joe to get a good shot at this?

According to SportingNews, for what its worth, ILB and OLB are not needs. So maybe they are looking at him for a FB.

NDSUstudent
04-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Their website says LB...

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/roster.asp?sort_by=3

roadwarrior
04-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't see a #8 on the roster listing. Hope he gets to keep using that number.

Mr_Meanor
04-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I just remember reading that some teams worked him out as a FB during NDSU's pro day. And the Eagles lost Thomas Tape to Minnesota in FA this year...so I wouldn't surprise me if he was going to be their fullback.

WRSDBison
04-27-2008, 11:54 PM

i don't know if thats sarcasm or not, but in the NFL linebackers are 50's or 90's. 1-19 are QB's, kickers punters and WR's

aces1180
04-27-2008, 11:58 PM

The NFL has rules about what number a certain position is afforded.

1-19 QB/K/P
10-19, 80-89 WR
20-49 RB/FB/DB
50-59 LB
60-79 OL, DL
90-99, DL

It is highly doubtful that Joe gets #8...In fact, even Reggie Bush couldn't have #5.

Till
04-28-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm a big Philly fan and and am pumped about this signing.

So far the starting LBs are looking to be Stewart Bradley from Nebraska in the middle, Omar Gaither from Tennessee on the weak side, and Chris Gocong from Cal Poly at SAM.

Gaither was the starter at MLB last year, but with the departure of Takeo Spikes he'll probably move back to WILL.

They do have a few reserve LBs like Poga Tagafu and Rocky Boiman, but I think the upside Joe brings to the table will help him form an anchor on the STs if he is given the chance.

Either way, as soon as I can I'll be looking for a Mays jersey since I didn't take the opportunity to get a Lamar one.

Mr_Meanor
04-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I got a feeling the Eagle will move him over to FB

NDSUstudent
04-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Mays first came in contact with the Eagles’ scouts at the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game. A good performance got their attention.

The team then flew their linebackers coach to Fargo for a private workout with Mays.

“We sat down and talked and from there on in, there was a match between us,” Mays said.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/199487

Sounds like he will be a linebacker to me.

ndsubison1
04-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Being an Eagles fan I'll try to jump right on this...He could possibly move to FB because they don't really have one right now. But they are somewhat a little thin at the LB positions. But the Eagles do not run a 3-4, I was surprised they didn't pick another LB in the earlier rounds. But I think a big reason they picked him is special teams as well. But all in all he can help provide depth at LB because 2 of the Eagles starters are back ups at the other LB positions. One of the starting OLB positions is open but I dont know if he'll play OLB at all. He will help provide more depth so hopefully he may get some playing time at LB. But he will def. help with special teams.

ndsubison1
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Doesn't Philly run the 3-4, if so then I'd imagine he will be a ILB and also a special teamer.

No they run a 4-3

SirHinn
04-28-2008, 06:57 AM
I got a feeling the Eagle will move him over to FB

He's definately a linebacker. There was concern over Joe's speed as a linebacker, but he last 40 time ended all the doubt and teams started to focus on him strictly as a linebacker.