04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey, it worked for Joe.

CaBisonFan
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey, it worked for Joe.

I'm with you.

Hammersmith
04-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh well, it was worth a try. Good luck on the free agent market, Steve.

Jdubs21
04-28-2008, 12:30 AM
yeah to many scouts are caught up on the numbers game....his stats were not off the charts, his 40 time was not good, his arm strength was not impressive...they dont get to see the heart of players like steve...o well their loss, we're still proud of u steve!!!

tony
04-28-2008, 12:50 AM
yeah to many scouts are caught up on the numbers game....his stats were not off the charts, his 40 time was not good, his arm strength was not impressive...they dont get to see the heart of players like steve...o well their loss, we're still proud of u steve!!!

It ain't over 'til Steve says it over, man! :)

sambini
04-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I sure hope he gets a chance+++

WYOBISONMAN
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I hope Walker gets a shot. He made a believer out of me when I saw him enter that game in Greely, CO oh so long ago! After that it was one of the most incredible eras in Bison history......Damn that kid deserves a shot!

NDSUFan_Sav
04-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah best of luck to you Steve, such a great man.....he needs that check from Sundays now being he's a married man!!!! Thanks again Steve

Jdubs21
04-29-2008, 12:35 AM
It ain't over 'til Steve says it over, man! :)

was not saying it was over by any means....was just pointing out why he got the shaft....he'll get a chance somewhere to try out

Hammersmith
04-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Oh, and for those that were not online during the draft, the title of this thread is worded the way it is because CaBisonFan started the "Why not Joe?" thread literally five minutes before Joe was drafted. I figured, "What the hell?"

No, I'm not superstitious. Why do you ask?

CaBisonFan
04-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Oh, and for those that were not online during the draft, the title of this thread is worded the way it is because CaBisonFan started the "Why not Joe?" thread literally five minutes before Joe was drafted. I figured, "What the hell?"

No, I'm not superstitious. Why do you ask?

I really had a feeling that Joe wasn't going to be drafted...so I wrote the question. Man, it couldn't have been 5 minutes...more like 1 or 2 minutes.

:bow:

As far as Steve Walker is concerned, it just appears that everyone continues to look for the 6' 4" or taller quarterback...and in the 210 or 220 lbs. range. Steve would have to find 'exactly' the right kind of offense and a situation where a 3rd stringer or a practice squad player is needed. Then, and only then, would someone give him a real look. He'd almost have to fall into some game situations through injuries, or something like that, to be able to show what he is capable of under pressure. I'm really sick of the speed, height, weight, stats, etc. in the NFL.

I have a name for the NFL....it's 'Pinball Wizard.' They don't tackle...they fly around and smack each other like pinballs. They're 'steroid' quick, and their lower body strength is absolutely terrifying. I got to be on the sidelines of a Vikings game once with a marching band. It's violent. I couldn't believe how quick it was...and how big everyone was.

Still...I think that Steve could handle it. He would have played well for a Bill Walsh. Joe Montana wasn't a specimen at all. But he fit Bill's offense perfectly, and the offense fit him perfectly. It didn't hurt to have about 5 or 6 hall of famers around him either.

Final Comment

I watch guys like Rex Grossman and think to myself...exactly what does he have over someone like Steve?

Answer?

noth-ing...and I don't give a damn what college he came from, or what awards he won, or what his pedigree is

56BISON73
04-29-2008, 03:57 AM
I really had a feeling that Joe wasn't going to be drafted...so I wrote the question. Man, it couldn't have been 5 minutes...more like 1 or 2 minutes.

As far as Steve Walker is concerned, it just appears that everyone continues to look for the 6' 4" or taller quarterback...and in the 210 or 220 lbs. range. Steve would have to find 'exactly' the right kind of offense and a situation where a 3rd stringer or a practice squad player is needed. Then, and only then, would someone give him a real look. He'd almost have to fall into some game situations through injuries, or something like that, to be able to show what he is capable of under pressure. I'm really sick of the speed, height, weight, stats, etc. in the NFL.

I have a name for the NFL....it's 'Pinball Wizard.' They don't tackle...they fly around and smack each other like pinballs. They're 'steroid' quick, and their lower body strength is absolutely terrifying. I got to be on the sidelines of a Vikings game once with a marching band. It's violent. I couldn't believe how quick it was...and how big everyone was.

Still...I think that Steve could handle it. He would have played well for a Bill Walsh. Joe Montana wasn't a specimen at all. But he fit Bill's offense perfectly, and the offense fit him perfectly. It didn't hurt to have about 5 or 6 hall of famers around him either.

Final Comment

I watch guys like Rex Grossman and think to myself...exactly what does he have over someone like Steve?

Answer?

noth-ing...and I don't give a damn what college he came from, or what awards he won, or what his pedigree is

Fact is he apparently does have something over him. Plus the NFL is very concerned about the stuff you are not. Grossman has been to the Superbowl. Not many QBs can claim that. PL

UTH
04-29-2008, 04:09 AM

That phenomenon speaks volumes. You should drop short little posts like that more often. Awesome - respeck to you. In other news, it sounds like Joe owes half his first paycheck to a band geek* from California.

Congrats, CBF!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Retardeddancingofficewtfgoodforyouh.gif
You're taking us to Disneyland!!!

*term used respectfully because i can't band:hide:

HerdBot
04-29-2008, 04:29 AM
Hey, it worked for Joe.

Here's my latest blog entry. I'll take Walker over T-Jack!

Steve Walker or T-Jack?

Joe Mays got drafted by the Eagles and Drago is apparently trying out with the Patriots. Good luck!

I cannot believe nobody is looking at Steve Walker because he is arguably the best of the 3 players. This is your classic case of a guy who is overlooked because he doesn't have the rocket arm, the height, or the speed NFL teams covet. I'm convinced they spend too much time evaluating forty times that the fail to notice the obvious... the guy can win football games!!

What did he do? He lead his team to a 20-2 record his last 2 seasons! How does he respond under pressure? Walker saved his best games for the higher level competition and went 3-1 vs D1-A teams.What kind of system does he play in? He runs the complicated West Coast Offense.

Chew on this... Vikings QB Tavaris Jackson played his college ball at D1-AA, Alabama State. Yes, that is the same SWAC conference that has Mississippi Valley State. Last year NDSU beat MVSU 58-7. Alabama State beat MVSU 20-16. So clearly Walker and the Bison played against a higher level of competition than Alabama State and runs a more complicated offense. (note: Alabama State went 6-5 T-Jacks last year)

The Vikings run the West Coast Offense. So do the Bison! And when you compare the stats of Tavaris Jackson and Steve Walker, one could argue that Walker is the logical choice.

TAVARIS JACKSON COLLEGE STATS
35 starts. (24-11 as a starter)
537 of 985 passes (54.5%)
7,839 yards
67 touchdowns
27 interceptions.

STEVE WALKER COLLEGE STATS
35 starts (29-5 as a starter)
534 of 841 (63.4%)
7,054 yards
60 TD's
21 INT's

T Jack has an advantage because of his running ability but consider this. Jackson has rushed for 337 yards for his career and most of them were running for your life yards. Is running ability that important?

Let's hope somebody gives Steve Walker a shot because they have no idea what they are missing out on!

CaBisonFan
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
That phenomenon speaks volumes. You should drop short little posts like that more often. Awesome - respeck to you. In other news, it sounds like Joe owes half his first paycheck to a band geek* from California.

Congrats, CBF!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Retardeddancingofficewtfgoodforyouh.gif
You're taking us to Disneyland!!!

*term used respectfully because i can't band:hide:

Damn straight! Bring it on Joe!! The band gods were pulling for you Joe.

CaBisonFan
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Fact is he apparently does have something over him. Plus the NFL is very concerned about the stuff you are not. Grossman has been to the Superbowl. Not many QBs can claim that. PL

There are several average quarterbacks that have played in the Super Bowl.

Steve Walker may lack what the NFL values, as you discussed, but he has something that only the elite QB's have. It's an intangible that resembles a Montana attitude & awareness.

Am I saying that Walker will make a team, or that he definitely belongs there? nope

But I 'am' saying that I believe in his ability to play at the NFL level, like many NFL quarterbacks are doing right now. Some of the starters, and many of the backups, have little to nothing over Steve. Height...and especially arm strength...are over-rated in today's 'ding' pass offenses. Short, quick passes...recognizing defenses...screens...audibles...pump-faking a pass.....they are all a strength for Steve. With the salary cap in the NFL, the formula for most teams is to build a solid defense, and to pray that the offense won't make too many mistakes...move the ball for field position...score some...and pray. Steve has the ability to protect the ball...to audible...to anticipate defensive strategies...and to put the ball in the right person's hands exactly where it belongs. In the right kind of offense, he could thrive.

The coaching staff at NDSU wasn't sold on Steve until he got into a game as you probably recall. His intangibles became very apparent immediately. He has a 6th sense on the field. Not many have it. A ton of big-throwing QB's are robotic pocket passers that don't 'feel' the game. They just throw. If something changes, or the pressure is big, they implode.

I still can see Steve's pass to Kole to win the Sam Houston game. That pass...to me...was amazing. He had the DB for lunch with the pump-fake...and then put the ball in Kole's hands perfectly...and the timing of the pass had to be perfect...and there couldn't have been more pressure to make the play. It was a piece of art. That's just one example. It was 'Montana-ish.'

Different physique...but Walker has the mentality of a Montana...and the field awareness. As good as Montana? Not

But there are similarities.

that guy
04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
steve is too short
too slow
and not athletic enough to play qb in the pros......now dont get me wrong he was a great player here and a hell of a guy so i dont want to come off bashing him but

rutlandbison
04-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Here's my latest blog entry. I'll take Walker over T-Jack!

Steve Walker or T-Jack?

Joe Mays got drafted by the Eagles and Drago is apparently trying out with the Patriots. Good luck!

I cannot believe nobody is looking at Steve Walker because he is arguably the best of the 3 players. This is your classic case of a guy who is overlooked because he doesn't have the rocket arm, the height, or the speed NFL teams covet. I'm convinced they spend too much time evaluating forty times that the fail to notice the obvious... the guy can win football games!!

What did he do? He lead his team to a 20-2 record his last 2 seasons! How does he respond under pressure? Walker saved his best games for the higher level competition and went 3-1 vs D1-A teams.What kind of system does he play in? He runs the complicated West Coast Offense.

Chew on this... Vikings QB Tavaris Jackson played his college ball at D1-AA, Alabama State. Yes, that is the same SWAC conference that has Mississippi Valley State. Last year NDSU beat MVSU 58-7. Alabama State beat MVSU 20-16. So clearly Walker and the Bison played against a higher level of competition than Alabama State and runs a more complicated offense. (note: Alabama State went 6-5 T-Jacks last year)

The Vikings run the West Coast Offense. So do the Bison! And when you compare the stats of Tavaris Jackson and Steve Walker, one could argue that Walker is the logical choice.

TAVARIS JACKSON COLLEGE STATS
35 starts. (24-11 as a starter)
537 of 985 passes (54.5%)
7,839 yards
67 touchdowns
27 interceptions.

STEVE WALKER COLLEGE STATS
35 starts (29-5 as a starter)
534 of 841 (63.4%)
7,054 yards
60 TD's
21 INT's

T Jack has an advantage because of his running ability but consider this. Jackson has rushed for 337 yards for his career and most of them were running for your life yards. Is running ability that important?

Let's hope somebody gives Steve Walker a shot because they have no idea what they are missing out on!

Well acually i think people remember Tavaris because he originally went to arkansas as a top recruit and got beat out by a guy named Matt Jones (now with the Jaguars).

Hammerhead
04-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Don't most of the experts say that Mays is "too short" and/or "too slow"?

steve is too short
too slow
and not athletic enough to play qb in the pros......now dont get me wrong he was a great player here and a hell of a guy so i dont want to come off bashing him but

met1990
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Zach Thomas and Emmitt Smith were too small and too slow as well.

Mr. Burgundy
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Emmitt was never to short or slow. 1st round pick (In the Herschel trade).

met1990
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM

ESPN told me he was considered too short and too slow to be the type of player he ended up being. Why would ESPN lie to me?!...

Bison bison
04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
If it was just brains, heart, or execution under pressure I think Steve would have a place.

What's missing is world-class athleticism. He has an average arm for college (good thing we've been running a west coast offense).

CaBisonFan
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
If it was just brains, heart, or execution under pressure I think Steve would have a place.

What's missing is world-class athleticism. He has an average arm for college (good thing we've been running a west coast offense).

Some of the best NFL quarterbacks in history didn't have a rocket. I agree that the NFL would view it like this however.

The greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL, in my opinion, was Joe Montana. One of the raps on his late draft position was his arm strength. He was drafted because he played for Notre Dame. He wasn't a world-class athlete either. But on the field, he was in a world of his own.

THEsocalledfan
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM

I need to apologize in advance to everyone that only sees out of NDSU made glasses, but the above is reality in the pros. People are correct that the small college is affecting him even "getting a shot," but guess what? Professional football is played at a higher level than college. What Steve proved at NDSU has not been proved at the professional level and it is understandable why his phone is not ringing off the hook. Do I think he should get a shot? Yes, because, hell, what does a team have to lose? However, don't be surprised if he still doesn't get one. I would think going to Canada and further proving himself would be a great idea. If he did great there, he definetely would get a chance. It worked for Warren Moon.....

stevdock
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Montana was a 3rd round pick so I wouldn't exactly call that late when back then 12? rounds. You are right though, he didn't have a rocket arm, but did make very good decisions and won games that Notre Dame just shouldn't have won (Cotton Bowl comes to mind). Does sound alot like Walker, the only problem is, Montana came from Notre Dame, and Walker came from NDSU. If Walker wants to make it he probably can go the route of the CFL, Arena, and when he finds success there, the NFL might find him then. Still a long route, but it's there if he wants it.

Bison bison
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't buy into the small college argument.

The NFL is a business-it is in their best interest to get the best players.

OldBison
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Drago does have the athleticism and still didn't get drafted or a free agent contract (although there is a chance he could earn one). Sometimes players just don't hit all the measurables. In Steve's case it is the height, NFL wants QBs to measure 6'3" or better, and have a rocket arm. Just look at what everyone said about Ryan, Brohm and Henne. In Drago's case, he can't do both P and K. So, neither has the measurables.

There are exceptions obviously and Mays is one of them. Minimum height is like 6' for MLB/ILB (I heard the pundits be critical of a guy from TN because he was only 6'1/2"), but his speed for his size may have been the difference.

Whatever the real answer is, Walker AND Drago were great college football players, they had great careers and I am damn happy to have gotten to watch them for 4 years:nod:

OldBison
04-30-2008, 05:26 PM
By the way, I haven't seen this posted before, so forgive me if it has but here is a pretty good perspective on FCS QBs and their path to the NFL. Some very good points made on what the measurables are when it comes to NFL QBs:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91674

SlickVic
04-30-2008, 05:35 PM

my dad was tarring roads in dallas back in the day emmit smith pull up in a benz emmit22 on the license plate rolls down his window my dad says "dont go gettin tar on your new car now emmit!!!!!" emmit smith says "dat righ dat righ" and rolls...pretty sweet story...anyways yeah hope steve gets a shot

THEsocalledfan
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
There are exceptions obviously and Mays is one of them. Minimum height is like 6' for MLB/ILB (I heard the pundits be critical of a guy from TN because he was only 6'1/2"), but his speed for his size may have been the difference.
:nod:

I think you are right on the money. While I am a little skeptical on if Mays could ever be an every down starter, I think he could excel at special teams for sure. He almost seems custom made for it (fast, compact, and can blow you into next week).

Bison101
05-01-2008, 12:29 AM
my dad was tarring roads in dallas back in the day emmit smith pull up in a benz emmit22 on the license plate rolls down his window my dad says "dont go gettin tar on your new car now emmit!!!!!" emmit smith says "dat righ dat righ" and rolls...pretty sweet story...anyways yeah hope steve gets a shot

I'm looking in my English-Gangster dictionary..... :D

stevdock
05-01-2008, 02:45 AM
How bad did it also hurt Walker's chances of getting drafted that during the main TV event he was overshadowed by our FB turned RB?? If Roehl has a normal day instead of an unbelievable day and Walker has to consistently drive the team against the Gophs, I really think that would have helped his draft status immensly. But from what I've seen the last four years from him, I doubt Walker would have traded a great perfomance on a big stage and maybe not win, for what actually did happen.

Fightin' Bison
05-01-2008, 02:51 AM
I don't buy into the small college argument.

The NFL is a business-it is in their best interest to get the best players.

Unless you are an NFL GM, whether you buy "the small college argument" is pointless. NFL GM's clearly buy it. Their opinions are the only ones that count.

Walker doesn't get a shot because he's short, slow and has weak arm strength - not average. QB's from small schools that got a chance, got it because of size and arm strength: Flacco, TJack, Bouman.

Walker's stats were built on 5 yard outs and dump off's to rb's. Arm strength not required. Walker excelled under pressure. NFL teams need someone great under pressure who can throw a 30 yard out pattern on a rope. As great as he was at NDSU, Walker doesn't have that ability.

99Bison
05-01-2008, 02:54 AM
steve is too short
too slow

These were almost the exact comments of Montana coming out of school... in addition to weak arm.

WRSDBison
05-01-2008, 02:57 AM
On the Montana comment, I'll give you the arm and too slow parts. But he was 6'2" so he wasn't short. On a side note, Walker is just as tall or taller than Drew Brees.

56BISON73
05-01-2008, 03:06 AM
How bad did it also hurt Walker's chances of getting drafted that during the main TV event he was overshadowed by our FB turned RB?? If Roehl has a normal day instead of an unbelievable day and Walker has to consistently drive the team against the Gophs, I really think that would have helped his draft status immensly. But from what I've seen the last four years from him, I doubt Walker would have traded a great perfomance on a big stage and maybe not win, for what actually did happen.

Roehls performance had No bearing on walkers draft status. PL

WildBill
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM
These were almost the exact comments of Montana coming out of school... in addition to weak arm.

You are wrong about that. Montana had an average arm,not great,but certainly not weak. Montana was also a good enough of an athlete to get offered for both DIV 1 Basketball and Football

Bison101
05-01-2008, 10:04 PM

I believe that you are wrong, stevdock. I mean, Walker wouldn't of wanted to lose the game, just to have a good performance on the Big Ten Network!

I see where u are coming from, but the main point of winning that game was to get NDSU on the map, not Steve Walker.

stevdock
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I believe that you are wrong, stevdock. I mean, Walker wouldn't of wanted to lose the game, just to have a good performance on the Big Ten Network!

I see where u are coming from, but the main point of winning that game was to get NDSU on the map, not Steve Walker.

That's exactly what I said. He wouldn't have traded a big performance and a loss for a win and his average performance.

Bison bison
05-12-2008, 04:05 AM
If Steve's arm had the strength of Drago's leg he would have been drafted imo.

If he had Drago's leg for an arm Steve could have joined the Ringling Circus!

I'mWithNOSIB
05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm looking in my English-Gangster dictionary..... :D

Now that is a sweet story. ROFL :rofl:

Bison101
05-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Now that is a sweet story. ROFL :rofl:

Thank you. Can I get some reps?

sambini
05-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Anyone heard anything on Steve?

Jdubs21
05-17-2008, 04:10 PM
not a thing...im sure he's busy enjoying the married life right now

sambini
05-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Cadilac said he thought he saw him running in the Fargo Marathon today.

Bison bison
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
not a thing...im sure he's busy enjoying the married life right now

that's a pretty explicit comment for a saturday night.......:p

bisonmike2
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
any updates on Walker? Has he had any interest from any CFL teams? Steve never had a nickname did he? I wish we could have got this going when he was playing but better late than never. I'm going to only refer to him as "Clutch". That or "Clutch Walker" or "CW". His first name is dead to me. As one of the most amazing players in NDSU history he deserves a nickname legacy.

TheDoctor
05-22-2008, 02:40 AM
any updates on Walker? Has he had any interest from any CFL teams? Steve never had a nickname did he? I wish we could have got this going when he was playing but better late than never. I'm going to only refer to him as "Clutch". That or "Clutch Walker" or "CW". His first name is dead to me. As one of the most amazing players in NDSU history he deserves a nickname legacy.

And Steve Walker will forever be know as "Clutch" Walker! ;)

mjh
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
He and his wife did run in the relay marathon, and I think he has a job working for an investment firm here in Fargo.