PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays To Philly!!!

Jdubs21
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Congrats Joe!!!

ndsubison1
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I knew it! I am an Eagles fan so this is great news

lakesbison
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Way To Go!!

Im Gonna Blow Up His Phone!!!! Hell Ey!

Go_Herd
04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
From Espn Draft Central:

34(200) Philadelphia Joe Mays ILB NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Mays has adequate size, good instincts and plays with a great motor. He's also a sound tackler and flashes the ability to make the big hit, but he isn?t a sideline-to-sideline run defender and he has limitations in coverage.

Bison101
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
From Espn Draft Central:

34(200) Philadelphia Joe Mays ILB NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Mays has adequate size, good instincts and plays with a great motor. He's also a sound tackler and flashes the ability to make the big hit, but he isn?t a sideline-to-sideline run defender and he has limitations in coverage.

I saw it live. I was very excited, and surprised that he was picked before Drago. Nice to see that he's in the city of brotherly love. :)

lakesbison
04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Joe is at home... press conf at BSA at 5pm..

good man!

onbison09
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
The former GM on NFL Network said quote, "Joe Mays, besides Mike Hart, could be the sleeper of the 6th round." Philly fans will love Joe.

onbison09
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Joe is at home... press conf at DOME at 5pm..

good man!
gobison.com or anything Lakes?

TheDoctor
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
:D :D :D :D :D I called him at about #198 and teased that maybe the Bengals will take him with the last pic of the 6th round #207, he said something to the effect of, "I doubt it". I told him good luck in the 7th round and to call if he was offered a free agent deal right after the draft. As I hung up the phone, the Eagles were up at #200 and I dropped the phone dropped my jaw and was in total shock. I guess SI had stated the Eagles were one team interested. Joe is going to go to Philly and prove to everyone he belongs. Congrats buddy! I know you wanted to see your name on the board. Now go show them why they drafted you. ;)

lakesbison
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Im guessing all access.. and wday radio .

I know FOX NEWS at 9pm will be there... so watch that tonite!

BSA at 5pm.

Fightin' Bison
04-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Iggles fans not happy:

"123eagleWarNest
Re: Official Draft Discussion Thread

JOE Mayes ILB North Dakota State...Ginats pick up Andre Woodson at 198...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1993HeelWarNest

WHO? This 6th round has only one highlight, and we have to "wait until next year" to enjoy it. We just drafted 3 guys who would never have been drafted had we not drafted them. Andy must have gotten his hands on his kid's stash."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=67&f=1913&t=2407247#s=67&f=1913&t=2407247&p=8

onbison09
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Iggles fans not happy:

"123eagleWarNest

1993HeelWarNest

WHO? This 6th round has only one highlight, and we have to "wait until next year" to enjoy it. We just drafted 3 guys who would never have been drafted had we not drafted them. Andy must have gotten his hands on his kid's stash."

They'll see.......:nod:

aces1180
04-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Iggles fans not happy:

"123eagleWarNest

1993HeelWarNest

Philly fans wouldn't be happy if they were able to draft a clone of Tom Brady or Randy Moss...They complain just for the sake of complaining.

lakesbison
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=67&f=1913&t=2414673&sto=MS_28884015#s=67&f=1913&t=2414673

is that a better thread?

BisManBison
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Congratulations Joe! Although I wish it were the other team in Pennsylvania that had drafted you.

Mr_Meanor
04-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Are they making him into a fullback or is he going to play LB?

Montana Bison
04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Way to GO Joe, Kick some NFC East ASS !!!!

OrygunBison
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Crap. I hate the Eagles. Now I have to follow them and root for one guy to shine...

I'mWithNOSIB
04-28-2008, 12:25 AM
It's awesome to see Mays in the NFL. I believe he will be a stud and look forward to seeing him play....even though hes playing for the Eagles :banghead: (ACCKKK).

49ers ROCK!!!!

X-Factor
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm not an eagles fan, but big time congrats to Joe!! Hope to see him on the field next fall.

SloStang
04-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Congrats to Mr. Mays.

Philly likes FCS linebackers. They have former Mustang Chris Gocong starting at stong side OLB and former JMU linebacker Akeem Jordan as a reserve OLB. Today they also drafted McNeese State's DE Bryan Smith and expect to convert him to a weekside OLB and of course Joe Mays as an ILB.

Once again, congrats.

tcbison
04-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Congrats to Mr. Mays.

Philly likes FCS linebackers. They have former Mustang Chris Gocong starting at stong side OLB and former JMU linebacker Akeem Jordan as a reserve OLB. Today they also drafted McNeese State's DE Bryan Smith and expect to convert him to a weekside OLB and of course Joe Mays as an ILB.

Once again, congrats.

Good post SloStang. I noticed that as well. Some NFL teams are willing to research FCS players, others not so much.

bisoneer
04-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah!!!!! for Joe Mays! The games I saw him play in showed me he is a big hitter and a sure tackler with good quickness and he also showed leadership skills, Good Luck at the Eagles camp.

jeffdaryl3rd
04-28-2008, 01:14 AM
The Eagles only have Jason Davis (2nd year player from Illinois, hasn't played in a game yet) and Dan Klecko (ex-Colt DT the Eagles are trying to convert to FB) on the depth chart at fullback, so maybe he has a shot there should they choose.

CarringtonBison
04-28-2008, 01:32 AM
congrats to another bison name on the big board

Mr_Meanor
04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
The Eagles only have Jason Davis (2nd year player from Illinois, hasn't played in a game yet) and Dan Klecko (ex-Colt DT the Eagles are trying to convert to FB) on the depth chart at fullback, so maybe he has a shot there should they choose.

I think you are right...I think the Eagles are looking at him for the FB position.

scheelsguy
04-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Congrats Joe!!! I told you it would happen. We are SO proud of you! Now go and show'em what you can do in Philly.

99Bison
04-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Congrats Joe!!! I told you it would happen. We are SO proud of you! Now go and show'em what you can do in Philly.

Yes, congrats and Go Joe!!!

TheDoctor
04-28-2008, 05:42 AM
What an exciting day!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooo happy for Joe, Latoya and Joi (and baby number 2 on the way). I called him at pic #198 and teased him about the Bengals taking him in the last pic of the round, then I called him right back to ask him about the red shirt deal and then the phone rang again right after that and Latoya said, "Is that Deutsch again?", to which Joe said "This isn't Deutsch!!!". They asked him if he had injured himself or gotten in any trouble with the law since they last talked and he said no, so they said "get ready, because were taking you next" and then he saw it seconds later on the TV. He called me 15 minutes later and said they were going to do a press conference at the BSA at 5. So, we headed up there and met up with them. He had worked so hard since the season got over and it paid off for him, I was so pround of him. After the press conference we went over to Apple Bees and had supper and then they were headed to BW3's South to meet some players and their parents. His humbless no matter the situation always amazes me. He leaves for Philly Friday and he's ready to show them why they drafted him. The scout that worked with him from Philly was a former Butkus award winner and went to battle with the team to draft him and Joe thanked him promised him he was going make him proud. Your the man Joey! It's your day! Enjoy it, because you worked so hard for it! ;)

sambini
04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Congrats to Joe +++++++++++++

Mr. Burgundy
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Class act!!! Good Luck in Philly.

Bison Dan
04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Joe will represent NDSU well! Good Luck Joe!

Bison"FANatic"
04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
What an exciting day!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooo happy for Joe, Latoya and Joi (and baby number 2 on the way). I called him at pic #198 and teased him about the Bengals taking him in the last pic of the round, then I called him right back to ask him about the red shirt deal and then the phone rang again right after that and Latoya said, "Is that Deutsch again?", to which Joe said "This isn't Deutsch!!!". They asked him if he had injured himself or gotten in any trouble with the law since they last talked and he said no, so they said "get ready, because were taking you next" and then he saw it seconds later on the TV. He called me 15 minutes later and said they were going to do a press conference at the BSA at 5. So, we headed up there and met up with them. He had worked so hard since the season got over and it paid off for him, I was so pround of him. After the press conference we went over to Apple Bees and had supper and then they were headed to BW3's South to meet some players and their parents. His humbless no matter the situation always amazes me. He leaves for Philly Friday and he's ready to show them why they drafted him. The scout that worked with him from Philly was a former Butkus award winner and went to battle with the team to draft him and Joe thanked him promised him he was going make him proud. Your the man Joey! It's your day! Enjoy it, because you worked so hard for it! ;)

Joe is a great role model to all of the players on the Bison team. He worked hard and that is paying dividends. Some said to small, some said to slow, some said he didn't play against top competition. He proved them all wrong with hard work and a never give up attitude. He worked his arse off to get this shot and I wish him the best and hope he continues to make the Bison faithfull proud.

bisonmike2
04-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Not exactly a ringing endoresment from the philidelphia inquirer. Best of luck, Joe. I have ever all the coinfidence in the world that Joe can make this team. Even if he doesn't, he will always be known as one of the all-time great defense players at NDSU, at that is saying something. From the paper:

Joe Mays
LB, North Dakota State
Sixth round, 200th overall, 5-11, 245.

FAST FACTS: Mays was the Great West Conference defensive player of the year after registering 16 sacks and intercepting two passes.

HOW HE FITS: The Eagles already have a lot of young linebackers they like, so Mays might not be around on opening day.

mebisonII
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
You know, I just remembered that I used to have an Eagles winter coat when I was in elementary and team jackets were super-popular. It was huge on me, so it probably still fits....wonder if my parents still have that....

brewcityboy
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Well deserved! He is as humble of a guy that you'll ever meet. Being a close personal friend and former teammate I can say that im very proud of him. It takes a MAN to balance school,football,wife and child and still accomplished what he has done.

bisonhusker
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Well said Brew City.....I can almost guarantee that he would be a great backup as a rookie and an absolute fan favorite (If there is such a thing in Philly) on special teams. Every loves the big hitter. Plus, he just looks tough in a uniform. He would dominate on punt and kick teams. Every teams needs a few guys like Joe. I hope he makes it!!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
04-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Best of luck Joe, show Philly why they drafted you.....Bison 4 life!

onbison09
04-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Kick some ass Joe!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
"I think I can adjust fairly well. Football is football, athletes come from different sorts of places. I don't think that really matters," Mays said. "I think once it comes down to it, if you can play football, you can adjust."

find from another thread: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15409

UTH
04-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Well deserved! He is as humble of a guy that you'll ever meet. Being a close personal friend and former teammate I can say that im very proud of him. It takes a MAN to balance school,football,wife and child and still accomplished what he has done.

Being successful at just one of those listed is in and of itself a laudable accomplishment. It isn't everyday that you can make as true a statement as this.

TheDoctor
04-28-2008, 11:54 PM

Marques Johnson! Whats up buddy? How is Milwaukee? I hope your doing well! ;)

TheDoctor
04-29-2008, 04:20 AM
He's on the roster and when you click on his name---this is his page.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/player132.html

It's amazing how photo editor works. The pic on the page looks as if he is wearing an Eagles jersey in the head shot, but in fact, they removed the Bison green and yellow collar and replaced it with Eagles green and black collar. Here is the original pic.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=73726&Q_SEASON=2007

brewcityboy
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Marques Johnson! Whats up buddy? How is Milwaukee? I hope your doing well! ;)

What's up bud? Im doing pretty well. Still playing for the Bonecrushers...actually we've been getting are bone's crushed all season but Im still having fun lol...

TheDoctor
04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
What's up bud? Im doing pretty well. Still playing for the Bonecrushers...actually we've been getting are bone's crushed all season but Im still having fun lol...

I like the sig pic. You look sharp in all black. You moving back here in the fall again or staying home this time? I hear the Venue is missing their favorite bouncer! ;)

brewcityboy
04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I like the sig pic. You look sharp in all black. You moving back here in the fall again or staying home this time? I hear the Venue is missing their favorite bouncer! ;)

Thanks, a big change compared to the Hallowenish Omaha Beef jersey's. Im in Milwaukee for good but I'll be there in mid June for Micah wedding that Im in which happens to also be my 25th bday so that will be pretty interesting. I also plan on coming up for the Hail the Bison athletic reunion in Sept. The Venue definately needs me and Alvin Robinson back in there running the place lol....Fun job

bisongirl
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
B1SON-Glad you could catch up with brewcityboy!

Back to the topic at hand--Good luck to Joe in Philly! Everyone at Bison Illustrated wishes him the best and we're looking forward to watching him in the NFL! It looks like Saturdays this fall will be Bison Football and Sundays this fall will be more...Bison Football!

TheDoctor
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
B1SON-Glad you could catch up with brewcityboy!

Back to the topic at hand--Good luck to Joe in Philly! Everyone at Bison Illustrated wishes him the best and we're looking forward to watching him in the NFL! It looks like Saturdays this fall will be Bison Football and Sundays this fall will be more...Bison Football!

WOW! Zinger! I guess I deserve that, as I am normally the one who gets mad when things get "off topic". Your lucky I like you, or I'd sick Lakes on you right now! :rofl: ;)

lakesbison
04-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Sick??? yes. im still hurting.

MARQUES!!!! ILL SEE YOU IN WISC THIS FALL!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FELLA!!

NWNDBison
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I saw the negative comments on the Philly boards too, but a few are willing to give him a chance and here's a video clip that turned some heads among Eagles' fans:

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile---joe-mays---lb?autoplay=true

Till
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Joe was given jersey #51 today. I'm looking forward to him living up to it's previous owner, Takeo Spikes.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I want to be rocking one of those jerseys and hopefully get a Drago jersey good luck to the both of you!

Bison101
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Joe was given jersey #51 today. I'm looking forward to him living up to it's previous owner, Takeo Spikes.

Takeo's got nothin' on Joe! :nod: :nod:

TheDoctor
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Joe left this morning and will get back Sunday night. I can't wait to hear about his weekend. Maybe he'll even come home with a #51 jersey. ;)

bisongirl
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Joe left this morning and will get back Sunday night. I can't wait to hear about his weekend. Maybe he'll even come home with a #51 jersey. ;)

How quickly are you going to try and get that jersey from him? i suppose after the first time he wears it in a game so that it is "game used"!!

TheDoctor
05-02-2008, 04:15 PM
How quickly are you going to try and get that jersey from him? i suppose after the first time he wears it in a game so that it is "game used"!!

:rofl: We'll figure something out I am sure! :rofl: Your right though, I don't do replicas! ;)

Till
05-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Check out pictures 7 and 13

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/photos/

Looks like Joe is already fitting in :)

BisBison
05-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Gotta love that Great West Football Conference Championship ring he's wearing. :cheers:

Jdubs21
05-03-2008, 03:39 PM
does anyone know if we can purchase a jersey with his name on the back anywhere?

bisonmike2
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
does anyone know if we can purchase a jersey with his name on the back anywhere?

You could just get a customized replica from the nfl pro shop. You can get any number and put any name (execpt Ron Mexico) on the back.

http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2237513

Bison101
05-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Check out pictures 7 and 13

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/photos/

Looks like Joe is already fitting in :)

I went to the site, and did not see joe. :(

spelunker64
05-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I went to the site, and did not see joe. :(

He's there, just not those numbered pics, they've been changed.

Just do a search for "Mays" and he pops up.

Till
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
The weekend mini camp pics on the Eagles site has a new one of Joe, just do a search.

Also, the following was written about the first impression of Joe on the field:

"Linebacker Joe Mays looks great in a uniform. He is a bowling ball with muscles."

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15435&spadaro=1

Bison"FANatic"
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
B1SON B1SON You have to have the inside track. How did the weekend turn out for Joe. What does Joe think about everything????????

TheDoctor
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry guys, been away. Joe said the weekend was good. He said they introduced 5 blitz plays on Saturday morning and they were responsible for them right away. Kind of over whelming. Otherwise, while the speed of the game is faster, he filled just fine and he's excited to go back on the 16th. Right now though he's getting ready for graduation on Friday, which is awsome for him. ;)

Bison Dan
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry guys, been away. Joe said the weekend was good. He said they introduced 5 blitz plays on Saturday morning and they were responsible for them right away. Kind of over whelming. Otherwise, while the speed of the game is faster, he filled just fine and he's excited to go back on the 16th. Right now though he's getting ready for graduation on Friday, which is awsome for him. ;)

Thanks B1SON - It's also good to know Big Joe is graduating too!!

BisBison
05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Listened to the FAN this afternoon. Sports news this afternoon led with legal problems for standout sue linebacker resulting in dismissal from team. Followed by Joe Mays' weekend in Philly and how he is now excited to get his degree this weekend from NDSU. It's a GREAT time to be a Bison.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Bison"FANatic"
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
A strong college career, playing on a NFL tem, a college degree and a family also. That sounds like a great Bison career.

Congrats Joe, a posterchild for a successfull Bison career!!!!!

I'mWithNOSIB
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Awesome news! Thanks for the heads up and GL Joe. Philly has turned up some good LBs.

Fightin' Bison
05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Listened to the FAN this afternoon. Sports news this afternoon led with legal problems for standout sue linebacker resulting in dismissal from team. Followed by Joe Mays' weekend in Philly and how he is now excited to get his degree this weekend from NDSU. It's a GREAT time to be a Bison.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Is it really "GREAT" to be a Bison because a young man from the "other" team is in such trouble that it cost him his reputation, scholarship, and possibly his freedom? C'mon, people. That is just really poor taste. The Bison don't look good because somebody else has fallen on their face. You should be hoping that young man gets his life together instead of rejoicing in how much his failures makes the Bison look good.

BisBison
05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Is it really "GREAT" to be a Bison because a young man from the "other" team is in such trouble that it cost him his reputation, scholarship, and possibly his freedom? C'mon, people. That is just really poor taste. The Bison don't look good because somebody else has fallen on their face. You should be hoping that young man gets his life together instead of rejoicing in how much his failures makes the Bison look good.

No it's not great to be a Bison because an idiot pulled a knife on a woman, I was just making an observation. Two back to back stories on the local radio station, one very positive about Joe Mays. That's what makes it great to be a Bison, regardless of what happens downstream. There happened to be a sue fan in my car at the time these stories were aired, he made the observation, doesn't look good for "my school" does it?

Jdubs21
05-11-2008, 07:05 AM
saw joe in the mall today and he had a big grin on his face....must be a great feeling to be graduating college and making his way to the NFL...congrats again joe!

BisonNeil
05-11-2008, 03:08 PM
saw joe in the mall today and he had a big grin on his face....must be a great feeling to be graduating college and making his way to the NFL...congrats again joe!

What was cool at graduation was when Mays got his diploma from the Dean of his college, walked to the center of the stage to shake President Chapman's hand and they gave each other a big hug. I'm sorry, but that was just way too cool and a real indication of the impact this young man has had on the institution. I think it is safe to say that Chapman doesn't hug just anyone. Congrats again Joe!!!

Go_Herd
05-11-2008, 03:14 PM
What was cool at graduation was when Mays got his diploma from the Dean of his college, walked to the center of the stage to shake President Chapman's hand and they gave each other a big hug. I'm sorry, but that was just way too cool and a real indication of the impact this young man has had on the institution. I think it is safe to say that Chapman doesn't hug just anyone. Congrats again Joe!!!

I saw that too during graduation, thought it was pretty cool. Thanks for being a Bison Joe, class act

Fightin' Bison
05-12-2008, 03:17 AM
No it's not great to be a Bison because an idiot pulled a knife on a woman, I was just making an observation. Two back to back stories on the local radio station, one very positive about Joe Mays. That's what makes it great to be a Bison, regardless of what happens downstream. There happened to be a sue fan in my car at the time these stories were aired, he made the observation, doesn't look good for "my school" does it?

Yeah, your observation took "GREAT" satisfaction in how good the Bison look compared the troubles of that young man. It's not just an observation. So what if a Sioux fan said it didn't look good for his school. How does that make the Bison any better? You shouldn't be so happy about somebody else's personal tragedy. What goes around comes around. I guarantee you that a Bison player will eventually run afoul of the law with something more serious than public intoxication. Will the Sioux look "GREAT" then?

roper1313
05-12-2008, 01:39 PM

And what an impact the institution had on the young man!!

90BISON
05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, your observation took "GREAT" satisfaction in how good the Bison look compared the troubles of that young man. It's not just an observation. So what if a Sioux fan said it didn't look good for his school. How does that make the Bison any better? You shouldn't be so happy about somebody else's personal tragedy. What goes around comes around. I guarantee you that a Bison player will eventually run afoul of the law with something more serious than public intoxication. Will the Sioux look "GREAT" then?

Hope you just chose your words poorly. This most recent incident with the Sue player couldn't be anything further from a "personal tragedy". Sorry, but self-inflicted misery or really bad personal choices doesn't fall under the category of personal tragedy. I would agree with you that one should never delight in someone else's downfall though, but that is human nature. Now back to our regularly scheduled program "JOE MAYS".

lakesbison
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
someone go through this and delete the "BS" about the lb up north. bla bla.

JOE doesnt deserve that at all!! the man is a LEGEND!!

Joe Mays will always be a part of NDSU and NDSU will always be a part of him, he will succeed in Philly no doubt!!

SDbison
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
someone go through this and delete the "BS" about the lb up north. bla bla.

JOE doesnt deserve that at all!! the man is a LEGEND!!

Joe Mays will always be a part of NDSU and NDSU will always be a part of him, he will succeed in Philly no doubt!!
I agree Lakes, and was thinking the same earlier this morning. Moderators do your job.......the crap that has nothing to do with joe doesn't belong in this thread.

roadwarrior
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
If the moderators were to delete every post that did not relate to the title of the thread, we would have full time jobs and 1000's of posts would have to be deleted.

TransAmBison
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
If the moderators were to delete every post that did not relate to the title of the thread, we would have full time jobs and 1000's of posts would have to be deleted.
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!

DELETE all OF Roadwarrior's POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S trying TO make SENSE!!!! WE have NO room FOR that kind OF logic.

AAAAAAAARRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

SDbison
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
OK, but this one has merit because all the anti UND and UND crimimal athlete crap is taking away from discussion about Joe Mays. BTW, sorry if my initial request sounded a bit demanding. In general, I agree there is too much off topic wandering that goes on within most topics at Bisonville.

wilson
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
OK, but this one has merit because all the anti UND and UND crimimal athlete crap is taking away from discussion about Joe Mays. BTW, sorry if my initial request sounded a bit demanding. In general, I agree there is too much off topic wandering that goes on within most topics at Bisonville.

Welcome to every message board on the face of the Earth.

90BISON
05-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Well that's almost 2 pages of posts OFF TOPIC, what were we talking about again?:confused:

WRSDBison
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Way to go off topic just to bring up the off topic material.

CLASSIC

BisonAccountant44
05-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Well that's almost 2 pages of posts OFF TOPIC, what were we talking about again?:confused:

I don't know, but I just heard a rumor that Joe Mays was drafted by the Eagles. If this is true who cares about whatever we were talking about before, let's congratulate Joe!

CarringtonBison
05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Way to go off topic just to bring up the off topic material.

CLASSIC

way to go off topic to go off topic just to bring up the off topic material

great job JOE!!

lakesbison
05-12-2008, 10:10 PM
classic stuff there!! ha ha

Till
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Based on the Eagles web site it sounds like they are going to be working Joe in at WILL 'backer, but he'll be earning his position on Special Teams. They seem to like his chances at a roster spot if he shows up for training camp and performs.

TheDoctor
05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Based on the Eagles web site it sounds like they are going to be working Joe in at WILL 'backer, but he'll be earning his position on Special Teams. They seem to like his chances at a roster spot if he shows up for training camp and performs.

Quotes??????????????

sambini
05-16-2008, 12:05 AM
B1son you are close to Joe. How does he feel about his chances etc..

Till
05-16-2008, 01:28 AM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15471&spadaro=1

JOE MAYS, LB

Mays is a good athlete and a plugger who is going to get a look at the WILL linebacker position. This is not an easy position to learn. There are so many things to recognize, so many adjustments to make and it takes time. The Eagles want to see Mays and how he reacts to movement and to the speed of the game.

Mays is going to be on special teams in the preseason, and he has a chance to earn a roster spot there. Linebacker is a matter of playing with aggressive discipline. Mays comes from a small school and has to learn a totally new system under Johnson, a stern teacher. Mays should be in the mix for a roster spot in the summer.

TheDoctor
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
B1son you are close to Joe. How does he feel about his chances etc..

Joe, as I am sure you know if you've ever talked to him or seen an interview, puts his mind to something and believes without a shadow of a doubt that he will accomplish it. In other words, he's been given the opportunity (which someone had to give him) and now he is going to make the team. Thats it. It's not "I sure hope to make the team", it's "I will make the team". Thats the thing about Joe that you got to love. When he decides he is going to do something, he doesn't stop until he gets it done and he never waivers on whether he can do it. I have no doubts that he will be successful with the Eagles. ;)

bisonmike2
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15471&spadaro=1

JOE MAYS, LB

Mays is a good athlete and a plugger who is going to get a look at the WILL linebacker position. This is not an easy position to learn. There are so many things to recognize, so many adjustments to make and it takes time. The Eagles want to see Mays and how he reacts to movement and to the speed of the game.

Mays is going to be on special teams in the preseason, and he has a chance to earn a roster spot there. Linebacker is a matter of playing with aggressive discipline. Mays comes from a small school and has to learn a totally new system under Johnson, a stern teacher. Mays should be in the mix for a roster spot in the summer.

I don't want to sound ignorant or stupid but what the hell is a WILL linebacker? When I played we had stong side, weak side. Darn kids and their complex defensive schemes.

/I'm guessing weakside inside linebacker?

TheDoctor
05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
In the 4-3 defense there are four down linemen and three linebackers. The middle linebacker is designated "Mike" and two outside linebackers are designated "Sam" and "Will" according to how they line up against the offensive formation. If there is a strong call, the linebacker on the strongside is called "Sam", while the linebacker on the weakside is called "Will". The outside linebackers' job is to cover the end to make sure a run doesn't escape, and to also watch the pass and protect from it. The middle linebackers' job is to stop runs between the Tackles and watch the entire field to see the play develop. On pass plays, the linebackers responsibilities vary based upon whether a man or zone coverage is called. In a zone coverage, the linebackers will generally drop into hook zones across the middle of the field. However, some zones will send the outside linebackers into the flats. In a man-to-man call, the "Sam" will often cover the tight end with help from a safety over the top, while at other times, the "Sam" and "Will" will be responsible for the first man out of the backfield on their side of the center, with the "Mike" covering if a second man exits on that side of the field.

In the "Tampa 2" zone defense the middle linebacker is required to drop quickly into a deep middle zone pass coverage thus requiring a quick player at this position.

Till
05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice little article on Joe from philadelphiaeagles.com

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15500

tcbison
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice little article on Joe from philadelphiaeagles.com

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15500

Thanks for sharing this. Over the long weekend I watched the Craig Bohl show on the Central Michigan game where they interviewed Joe Mays. He said his favorite teams are the Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles. Pretty cool to be drafted by one of your favorite teams.

SamsRams
05-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah great article, although it makes me wanna slap the people who left comments at the end!

WRSDBison
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah great article, although it makes me wanna slap the people who left comments at the end!

I hope they like the taste of crow. Knowing Joe and his work ethic, he'll use whatever he can to motivate him more.

tjbison
05-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Kick butt Joe, to Hell with the naysayers!!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
nfldraftcountdown's review of the Eagles, with Joe getting mentioned at the end of the article.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/reviews/reviews/philadelphiaeagles.html

TheDoctor
05-29-2008, 06:02 AM
nfldraftcountdown's review of the Eagles, with Joe getting mentioned at the end of the article.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/reviews/reviews/philadelphiaeagles.html

Thanks Jeff for the find! I haven't seen a negative thing written (other then spelling his last name wrong :D)by anyone with any expertise. Good things said here. Go get them Joe! ;)

"With their next selection the Eagles chose North Dakota St. inside linebacker Joe Mayes, who may actually have a decent opportunity to contribute as a rookie. Mays doesn't have the ideal height or speed you look for but he is very strong and a classic run thumper. The Eagles really don't have a lot of depth in the middle so Mays could potentially wind up competing with journeyman Pago Togafau for a backup job right out of the gate."

Till
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
The May 29th rookie report video on http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ is about the linebackers. Some good footage of Joe and a short interview.

Go_Herd
06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
For NDSU's Mays, Size Matters Little

Good article talking about/to Joe.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=for-ndsu-s-mays-size-matters-little&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Make sure and check out the video link, it's a short clip but it's of Joe talking. It could be the same video as the one Till posted but I was too lazy to check

Here is the same article taking from Philly.com

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20080531_For_LB_Mays__size_matters_little.html

Good luck Joe, Everything your getting could not go to a better person!!

Till
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Joe signed a 4-year deal today. The terms were not released:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15588

westnodak93bison
06-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Awesome. Best of luck to ya Joe!

TheDoctor
06-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I was flying to Hawaii all day yesterday for a conference, so I wasn't on here, but I had a hunch Joe got paid, because I got a text letting me know he had a new phone number. Good for Joe! I'll have to call him and congratulate him. ;)