PDA

View Full Version : Is spring football worth the injuries?

NDSU1980
04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
First off, I'm not saying I'm against spring football, but I do remember one of the area college coaches at least 20 years ago spoke out against spring football claiming that the only thing you got out of it was injuries.

In view of all the hurt players we have had this spring, should we be doing anything different?

Thunder_Struck
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
In view of all the hurt players we have had this spring, should we be doing anything different?

No

Bison06
04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
What is the total number of injuries that we have had this spring?

CaBisonFan
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
First off, I'm not saying I'm against spring football, but I do remember one of the area college coaches at least 20 years ago spoke out against spring football claiming that the only thing you got out of it was injuries.

It's a good question, and worth discussion. The problem as I see it, as it is with most sports, is that it is a 'keep up with the Jones's' thing. Heck(endorf)...our high schools have spring football down here in SoCal.

Spring football is a lot about evaluation, setting positions & depth charts, etc.

All in all, if no one did it, I'd say "no, let's not have it. It ain't worth it. And let them just go to class & enjoy college."

Oh well. I'm probably in the minority...but the athletic monster continues to spiral out of control, to the detriment of young people's ability to have rounded lives, and to the detriment of coaches that would like to 'have' a life.

I'd guess that most DI football coaches would say that it's absolutely necessary however. It puts their whole system in place.

Good post.

gobison1
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Spring football is more important to the football program than fall camp. This is a time to set the depth chart. When fall camp rolls around they have their starting lineup and they can focus on fine tuning their game before kickoff.

Scooter1
04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I say it is worth the injuries. Although we have had a few injuries this year with Blincoe, Brown, Beson, Washington, Brecke, and Richards all nursing something, you could certainly argue the counterpoint. Spring ball is huge for the young players. Mertens needs this time to get comfortable leading the offense, and the the different positions need this time to refine their game.

Every snap taken in the spring, every coaching session improving technique is imperative for success at this level. The time spent in the spring increases the effectiveness of the individual effort that is put in during the summer. Without spring ball you would see the learning curve for the younger players drop dramatically. Time would be spent instilling the techniques that a player should have been refining all summer. What it comes down to is spring football increases a player's general football knowledge and that translates into wins in the fall.

ndsubison1
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
There's going to be injuries, that's football. But unfortunately we've experienced numerous of them, but again that's football. I agree that spring football is necessary, as mentioned before it helps set the depth chart and it gives younger guys a chance to get to know the playbook more and adjust to the system, plus a chance to move up the depth chart too. A lot of it is to get more reps, especially for the younger guys. With spring football, it doesn't leave coaches scrambling for backups and it gives them more time to go over things. I think time has something to do with it. Overall, I think there are more pros to it than cons.