PDA

View Full Version : NDSU disrespect?

4mcruenomore
04-25-2008, 03:36 AM
A buddy of mine was at Labby's recently, and his waitress was wearing a UND shirt. He asked what it was all about, and he was told that "she was a big hockey fan", um, so he asked when the last time was that they played and how they did. I can't believe the attitude even Fargo. You know, my wife used to waitress when she was in college, and she commented that if she wore a #1 NDSU jersey (football) for example if she waitressed in GF, would that be acceptable? When asked, she would just say "I'm a big NDSU football fan"? I really doubt it would go over so well. What's with this, even in Fargo, why all the Whioux fans?????

99Bison
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
They move to Fargo to get a job.

ndsubison1
04-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Fargo is a big city with lots of jobs

tony
04-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Well, I think UND fans should be able to wear their stuff in Fargo and root for their team without getting any grief. Fargo is not Grand Forks, after all.

met1990
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
They can wear their stuff, but I'm still giving them grief.

Bison Dan
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
They can wear their stuff, but I'm still giving them grief.

And NO tip! Actually that's just stupid on their part - I know I won't tip anyone wearing a Sioux shirt.

TransAmBison
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
And NO tip! Actually that's just stupid on their part - I know I won't tip anyone wearing a Sioux shirt.
I wouldn't go so far as to not give them a tip, but I will tease them every chance I get. (And enjoy the spit in my drink)

Bison Dan
04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to not give them a tip, but I will tease them every chance I get. (And enjoy the spit in my drink)

or worse!!!!

mebisonII
04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Seems fair for them to wear their UND gear and seems fair to give them a hard time about it. Its just sports, folks.

met1990
04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Sports, and hockey.

bisonmike2
04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
If she was smart (obviously she isn't, she's a UND fan) she would wear an NDSU shirt and increase her chances of getting a bigger tip. I know if she were my waitress, in the tip spot, I'd put "Cheer for a better team". But that's just me. :)

bisonaudit
04-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Is it really possible for an entire University to be disrespected by a waitress? If it is does it mean anything?

roadwarrior
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
You would think that the average person would work to increase their chances of getting a bigger tip in a restaurant. Friendly and good service definitely play a part, but if you are working in a place across the street from NDSU, wearing a shirt with UND on it isn't very smart.

westriver bison
04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
You would think that the average person would work to increase their chances of getting a bigger tip in a restaurant. Friendly and good service definitely play a part, but if you are working in a place across the street from NDSU, wearing a shirt with UND on it isn't very smart.

Goes with attendence at und

UTH
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Goes with attendence of sporting events at und

FTFYhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif

TheBisonator
04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't understand why people think that people who wear NDSU gear in GF get crap. I wear my NDSU shirts/pullovers with my NDSU key laniard every chance I get when I pass thru GF (my brother lives in Winnipeg), and I have never gotten so much as a sneer from the people in the places I've gone there. Maybe it's cause I'm a bulky, strong looking guy with a shaved head and a goatee, but probably not. I don't understand Bison fans' view on Bison clothing in GF.

westriver bison
04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't understand the "disrespect". Is it disrespectful to NDSU if people wear North Carolina, Notre Dame, Nebraska, etc. gear in Fargo? I don't see it as that.

However she was rather stupid to wear UND gear at an "NDSU" establishment if she is looking for tips.

UTH
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't understand why people think that people who wear NDSU gear in GF get crap. I wear my NDSU shirts/pullovers with my NDSU key laniard every chance I get when I pass thru GF (my brother lives in Winnipeg), and I have never gotten so much as a sneer from the people in the places I've gone there. Maybe it's cause I'm a bulky, strong looking guy with a shaved head and a goatee, but probably not. I don't understand Bison fans' view on Bison clothing in GF.

Disagree. Very much. My experience has been different. Results may vary. That is the case here.

TheBisonator
04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Disagree. Very much. My experience has been different. Results may vary. That is the case here.

You're right, I guess it varies from person to person.

56BISON73
04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Now granted wearing a UND shirt when you are working across from NDSU isnt very smart. Especially when a good part of your income is derived from tips. If she could handle the good natured ribbing and gave good service she would get a good tip from me.

A couple of years ago we were heading up to MN for the deer opener. It was cold so I brought my Greenbay sweatshirt because it was warm. When we arrived we went to the Timberlodge Steakhouse in Lakeview-Burnsville for supper. I didnt even think about what I was wearing. Well after about 5 minutes of being inside I started talking barbs from the bartender and some of the people who were there. Im thinking----???? What the hell did I do---I dont know these people. Then It dawned on me what I was wearing. At that time I reversed field and gave it right back. Within a few short minutes the place was rolling with laughter and the bartender even sent over a NA beer for me. I had people stop by our table later and thanks us for being such good sportsn etc. Of course I responded it always easy to be a good sport when we are always thumping your butts. LOL
As I told some of the people there and at the MN game last year who were tailgating next to and were totally outnumbered by the bison----WE are all football fans. We are just fans of different teams and there isnt any reason to be anal about it.
PL

tjbison
04-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Had my NDSU gear on in Brookings on Monday, and I didn't get any crap for it, and I sat beside a older couple in the rabbit gear, as PL said all fans just different teams, people need to relax!!

NorthernBison
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I wear NDSU gear all the time in Grand Forks. I never get any crap about it. Show your Bison pride. "These colors don't run" doesn't only apply to the flag. The only thing that might be a little dicey in El Forko Grande is leaving a vehicle with NDSU stickers, etc. in an isolated location while you are gone.

Once at the Ground Round in Grand Forks, my family came in decked out in Bison gear and I commented to the hostess that our clothing might not get us seated at the best table. She laughed and seated us way in the back. Kind of.

CarringtonBison
04-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I wore my stuff in GF for a few years and got crap fairly consistently, even had my pickup vandalized with a teammakers sticker on it (middle of town). I would say they are a bit hostile. Most people are fine, but "a few bad apples"

BraxtonT
04-25-2008, 10:49 PM
I always wear my Bison shirts or sweatshirts when I'm traveling. They come in quite handy as far as being conversation starters.

Just this past Groundhog Day I was in Punxsutawney, PA for the big festival. Wonderful Northwest Airlines couldn't get my luggage on the plane, so I had to wear my NDSU sweatshirt to a semi- formal dance. As I was leaving, some old dude yelled out to me "NDSU". It turns out out he is a big supporter of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. We had a great time talking about the 1990 season which featured bookend wins by the Bison over IUP. I found out they had to change their name from "Indians", so naturally that led into the UND Sioux saga.

Anyway, other than Grand Forks, I recommend wearing the Bison colors anywhere.

tjbison
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I always wear my Bison shirts or sweatshirts when I'm traveling. They come in quite handy as far as being conversation starters.

Just this past Groundhog Day I was in Punxsutawney, PA for the big festival. Wonderful Northwest Airlines couldn't get my luggage on the plane, so I had to wear my NDSU sweatshirt to a semi- formal dance. As I was leaving, some old dude yelled out to me "NDSU". It turns out out he is a big supporter of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. We had a great time talking about the 1990 season which featured bookend wins by the Bison over IUP. I found out they had to change their name from "Indians", so naturally that led into the UND Sioux saga.

Anyway, other than Grand Forks, I recommend wearing the Bison colors anywhere.

Why not in Grand Forks????

Bisonguy
04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I wear NDSU gear all the time in Grand Forks. I never get any crap about it. Show your Bison pride. "These colors don't run" doesn't only apply to the flag. The only thing that might be a little dicey in El Forko Grande is leaving a vehicle with NDSU stickers, etc. in an isolated location while you are gone.

Once at the Ground Round in Grand Forks, my family came in decked out in Bison gear and I commented to the hostess that our clothing might not get us seated at the best table. She laughed and seated us way in the back. Kind of.

I've worn a NDSU sweatshirt to a couple hockey games at UND. One time had a couple boneheads try to start a fight, but usually it's just plenty of "If you want to own the farm..." remarks which I can take care of.

Bison101
04-26-2008, 02:12 AM

I live in GF, and I always wear it. I sometimes get crap, but I have enough stuff in my head to bounce back at the insults. :)

UTH
04-26-2008, 03:06 AM
I live in GF, and I always wear it. I sometimes get crap, but I have enough stuff in my head to bounce back at the insults. :)

Don't know or even care what the campus is like now, but let's rewind and reminisce a few years back...

Walk across University anywhere between the union and chester fritz library on a daily basis - that was often interesting. The one-finger salute was common. Sometimes people shouted strange things. Attempted run-downs every once in a blue moon. Crazy.

Had cars intentionally back into me while walking a couple times in parking lots.

Every now and then, somebody tried to start something - "Hey, tough guy. What you doing here? You're pretty brave..." That's most common at closing time at the bars and in the union.

A favorite - I heard maybe three or four times total - after walking past a group of 'them', somebody would quietly say to friends, "that guy's gonna get his ass kicked." Never really happened, but in some places, you never know...

Another fun one... That beasly basketball player tried to get under my skin once, in the basement of the union. "So, you think the Bison are gonna win this weekend?..." Kept talking, as if I cared. I told him I didn't really care what he did with his weekends and turned my back to him, putting my nose back in my notes. Read the following Monday that NDSU was quite victorious at the Nazidome. Can only hope that I was on his mind when he walked off the floor.;)

That is teh place I remember. The culture of hate of outsiders has an institutional feeling to me. That's why they're dead to me, unless they're in the news again for something stupid. In that case, I read with amusement until bored and then move on.

I hate U#D Nazihttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SchutzStaffelSS.png
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/undillinoisnazisbluesbrothershate.jpg

*personally feel more welcome to let my guard down after dark in moscow, kiev, skopje, or sarajevo, than in gf

BraxtonT
04-26-2008, 04:16 AM

No intelligent or courteous comments are heard in that part of the world.

onbison09
04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I had to go to rehab every year in GF at Altru and in their fitness center they have a bunch of helmets and of course have a UND helmet but no Bison helmet. Well that was just unacceptable. So I yell out at the top of my lungs"WHERE'S THE BISON HELMET??" Pretty damn funny. Never have gotten any crap about it just good natured stuff.

tony
04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't understand why people think that people who wear NDSU gear in GF get crap.

Well, it might have been my post that started that line of thought. I said "Fargo isn't Grand Forks, after all." What I meant was that Fargo has grads from a lot of different colleges in pretty large numbers and isn't even a one-college town. In GF, UND almost equals GF in a lot of peoples' minds (that was my experience living there as a lad).

If it ever gets to the point where you can't even have a friendly beer wth fans of another school or can't tolerate seeing another school's stuff on people then that's taking things too far in my opinion (I'm not talking about friendly razzing, of course).

It does seem odd to wear another school's stuff working at what amounts to an NDSU bar but, hey, eccentric people give a place atmosphere.

tjbison
04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, it might have been my post that started that line of thought. I said "Fargo isn't Grand Forks, after all." What I meant was that Fargo has grads from a lot of different colleges in pretty large numbers and isn't even a one-college town. In GF, UND almost equals GF in a lot of peoples' minds (that was my experience living there as a lad).

If it ever gets to the point where you can't even have a friendly beer wth fans of another school or can't tolerate seeing another school's stuff on people then that's taking things too far in my opinion (I'm not talking about friendly razzing, of course).

It does seem odd to wear another school's stuff working at what amounts to an NDSU bar but, hey, eccentric people give a place atmosphere.

If the waitress is hot it also is a conversation piece:p

Tatanka
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
++
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/uselesswithoutpictures.gif

UTH
04-26-2008, 11:17 PM
++
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/uselesswithoutpictures.gif

Twist my arm...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/adolfhitlerparadekickmeund.jpg
Proof that 'they' do occasionally show a sense of humor

Go_Herd
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I know coming from small town near Brookings, SD, I get plenty of complements from SDSU people when i wear my NDSU stuff. Definitely have never gotten any crap from them.

extremerouge
04-27-2008, 05:53 AM
I know coming from small town near Brookings, SD, I get plenty of complements from SDSU people when i wear my NDSU stuff. Definitely have never gotten any crap from them.
nice win today chelski...