PDA

View Full Version : Travis Mertens

RedRiver
04-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I have heard that Travis Mertens is considering the same options that Jordan May had. To walk on at NDSU this fall, red shirt, and and try to earn a scholarship the following year or go to UND on a scholarship. Travis did visit NDSU and worked out with the team and the coaches said he could play at our level but there was no scholarship available for next year.

It is down to these two choices and he expects to make a decision this weekend. His cousin Nick will be the starting quarterback for the Bison.

Bison101
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
I have heard that Travis Mertens is considering the same options that Jordan May had. To walk on at NDSU this fall, red shirt, and and try to earn a scholarship the following year or go to UND on a scholarship. Travis did visit NDSU and worked out with the team and the coaches said he could play at our level but there was no scholarship available for next year.

It is down to these two choices and he expects to make a decision this weekend. His cousin Nick will be the starting quarterback for the Bison.

Let's hope that he makes NDSU "A Family Affair".

lakesbison
04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
oh boy.. ... Im not sold on any of these nodak kids for bball.... mays, allard, mertens....... but thats just me.

met1990
04-25-2008, 01:33 AM
That's OK, Lakes. They're probably not sold on you either.

Bison_Pride
04-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Travis Mertens named All American

Sophomore 6'5" forward Travis Mertens was named to the NJCAA Division I All American team for 2007-08. Travis was earlier named as the MONDAK conference MVP. He averaged about 20 points and 10 rebounds this past season.

Phenomenal athlete, I saw him play in high school, he was a man among boys. I think if he were 3 more inches taller, he'd be considering offers from Big 10 schools, not walk-on offers from NDSU.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-25-2008, 02:46 AM
oh boy.. ... Im not sold on any of these nodak kids for bball.... mays, allard, mertens....... but thats just me.

I feel alot better about all of them now

ndsubison1
04-25-2008, 06:45 AM
I would love to see Mertens walk on. Great athlete and pretty good size. I've watched him many times, I think he could earn his way on the team.

bisonhusker
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Mertins is good. He can play at our level. If we can get him to redshirt/walk on...he actually could contribute....although we have a ton of kids at that position. He is an ATHLETE.

d3boys
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM

just because they are fro, nodak they cant play basketball
you crazy
can anybody remember jeff boschee

NDSUstudent
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
just because they are fro, nodak they cant play basketball
you crazy
can anybody remember jeff boschee

Don't forget about Denver Tenbroek, Phil Jackson, Nick Jacobson, among others.

aces1180
04-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Denver is from South Dakota, not NoDak.

NDSUstudent
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Denver is from South Dakota, not NoDak.

Didn't he live in North Dakota but go to school in South Dakota?

UTH
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM

I think that's the case here. Just imagine how much he would suck if he'd played high school ball in North Dakota, instead.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/CigarDerbyhatsmilies.gif

WRSDBison
04-25-2008, 09:35 PM

He lived about 8 miles into ND.

d3boys
04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
so then he could play because he barely lived in north dakota

UTH
04-26-2008, 03:56 AM
so then he could play because he barely lived in north dakota

Good thing that's cleared up. Lucky guy.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif

ndsubison1
04-26-2008, 07:56 AM

ND's had some good players... Travis Kraft, Kenny Younger, Tyrone Terry, Hunter Reinke, Russell Archambault

MN_BISON
04-29-2008, 02:19 AM
According to SS and WDAZ, Mertens is headed to UND. Said he had several DII offers and a walk on offer from NDSU.

Bison bison
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I can see the headline in tomorrow's Forum:

UND beats NDSU to another Recruit!!!

bisonhusker
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Tomorrow: Eric Peterson states UND beats NDSU in recruiting battle, and that they would have offered if they had money.
Tomorrow: Hammer has him live in studio and asks him 9 straight questions about how NDSU recruited him, what it was like to talk to the NDSU coaches, he he sees UND transition in comparison to NDSU. "Are you going to be the Brett Wink" of UND?"
Thursday: Insert McFeely negative article about NDSU and UND are not over their rivalry.

TransAmBison
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Tomorrow: Eric Peterson states UND beats NDSU in recruiting battle, and that they would have offered if they had money.
Tomorrow: Hammer has him live in studio and asks him 9 straight questions about how NDSU recruited him, what it was like to talk to the NDSU coaches, he he sees UND transition in comparison to NDSU. "Are you going to be the Brett Wink" of UND?"
Thursday: Insert McFeely negative article about NDSU and UND are not over their rivalry.
Friday: Lakes lets people know he invented recruiting
Fixed it for ya!

aces1180
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM

Add in something from Lakes on AreaVoices similar to the following:

"LET'S MOVE ON PEOPLE!
UND IS NOT OUR RIVAL....MINNESOTA, DUKE and KANSAS ARE OUR RIVALS!
NORTH DAKOTA KIDS ARE NOT WORTHY OF PLAYING FOR NDSU!"

aces1180
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Fixed it for ya!

Dammit, you beat me to the Lakes reference!

bisonmike2
04-29-2008, 08:59 PM

Wasn't Denver a South Dakotan? I went to school with his older brother Trampus and I swear he was from Mobrigde. I could be wrong though. I've been wrong before in the past...once.

bisonmike2
04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay, disregard my previous post as I did not read the entire thread.

TheBisonator
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Tenbroek lived on the Standing Rock rez on the ND side, I believe.

Kermit
04-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Tenbroek lived on the Standing Rock rez on the ND side, I believe.

Here's a great story on Denver's background:
http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=28725

bisonhusker
04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I like Mertens alot, but UND is offering full ride to the same kids NDSU is offering walk on status too. I think Mertens can play at this level, it is just too bad he has two years to play there and not the full 4 (plus redshirt). I personally think that if you are trying to build a program, and get through a transition period, that you would want kids that are in the program for 5 years. NDSU has redshirted every single kid that has come through....Zo Riley was the only one to play right away.

Bison bison
04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
NDSU had scholarships available in the past and passed on Mertens. If the Bison really wanted him they had their shots.

Bison_Pride
04-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I think Travis needed to work on his grades a little in order to play at DI, so JC was the way to go for him. He's did really well there obviously.

bisonhusker
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Mertens will be alot better than May at UND...but only has two years. He would have been buried on a depth chart at NDSU anyway. he made the right choice. even though he/his family are all Bison fans!!!! hey, he can cheer for us in the NCAA tourney!!!!