PDA

View Full Version : Jordan May Chooses UND

TheDoctor
04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
A player from Canada is quitting the UND basketball team, freeing up a scholarship. That scholarship was offered to Jordan May and he has accepted. Thats all I know now. Would have been a great preferred walk-on, but oh well. ;)

Bison"FANatic"
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats to bad to hear but I wish him luck. It is hard to pass up a free education vs. paying for your education and I can't fault him for that.

SirHinn
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Thats to bad to hear but I wish him luck. It is hard to pass up a free education vs. paying for your education and I can't fault him for that.

NDSU had offered him 4/5, evidently playing time and playing for nothing meant more then a potential NCAA Tourny run.

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I am in shock. How could a kid actually want to play for UND for 4 years....rather than pay for school for ONE year and then get 4 years paid for. Meanwhile, he uses his redshirt year to get his body in great shape, and end up playing for conference tourneys/NCAA births. Just shocking a kid could make that decision. I am just glad he wasn't a bigtime recruit, or this would really fire me up. Congrats to UND....good kid.

Just look at the schedules....if you are a competitor, you just don't want to face the transition period.

99Bison
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I am in shock. How could a kid actually want to play for UND for 4 years....rather than pay for school for ONE year and then get 4 years paid for. Meanwhile, he uses his redshirt year to get his body in great shape, and end up playing for conference tourneys/NCAA births. Just shocking a kid could make that decision. I am just glad he wasn't a bigtime recruit, or this would really fire me up. Congrats to UND....good kid.

Just look at the schedules....if you are a competitor, you just don't want to face the transition period.

UND/USD is selling the same thing NDSU/SDSU was 5 years ago. NDSU got some competitors presumably.

FWIW, news did not report 4/5 offer, just walk on.

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
We got very lucky with the players that signed with us 5 years ago. They developed and stuck together.

Now that a local kid has seen the success of NDSU....I can't believe he would want to go to UND.

New arena, proven conference...etc. Just amazing. I may be biased, but I think I am looking at this fairly logically. How many of us would have taken 4 years of free school after paying for one? These kids are all going to take 5 years to graduate anyway. Plus, NDSU redshirts everyone.

99Bison
04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
We got very lucky with the players that signed with us 5 years ago. They developed and stuck together.

Now that a local kid has seen the success of NDSU....I can't believe he would want to go to UND.

New arena, proven conference...etc. Just amazing. I may be biased, but I think I am looking at this fairly logically. How many of us would have taken 4 years of free school after paying for one? These kids are all going to take 5 years to graduate anyway. Plus, NDSU redshirts everyone.

Perhaps he wasn't confident in 'earning' his scolly after 1 year?

Perhaps if someone isn't strongly leaning one way or another as to where the desire is to go, and you get a 5/5 that is significantly better than the other 5/5's you do it... We probably will never know.

You know that all transitional schools are pointing to NDSU and saying we can do it too.

Mr_Meanor
04-23-2008, 12:53 AM

I don't understand why everyone gets all defensive when a kid choose another school over NDSU. These kids have alot to think about when choosing a school. I am sure he made the best decision for himself.

Mr. Burgundy
04-23-2008, 01:09 AM
I said I was in shock, and didn't understand a decision....I don't see how that is a big deal.

Kermit
04-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Many kids want to get out of the home town. Frankly, many kids need a new environment.

Tatanka
04-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Good luck to Mr. May.

BlueBisonRock
04-23-2008, 01:59 AM
This kinda reminds me of my son's dating life. Any girl that does not want to go out with him obviously has a problem. :D

I wish Jordan the best with his decision. IF the Bison ever do play the Sioux, I will be cheering for the Bison to stick it to 'em.

SirHinn
04-23-2008, 02:25 AM
UND/USD is selling the same thing NDSU/SDSU was 5 years ago. NDSU got some competitors presumably.

FWIW, news did not report 4/5 offer, just walk on.

That you can play for nothing while waiting to become eligible for the dance? Hey, perhaps he can be the next Jade Jahner or maybe even the next Dan Dahl. Also, of course the news isn't going to report the 4/5 offer. NDSU lined up a scholarship that is available for African Americans for May. So technicall speaking, he had a full ride though. Good luck to him, hopefully he can take care of his off court issues.

Mr_Meanor
04-23-2008, 02:31 AM
I said I was in shock, and didn't understand a decision....I don't see how that is a big deal.

But thats the thing...we don't have to understand why he made his choice. I am sure he has very good reasons why he decided he wanted to play at UND. Maybe they have his major and NDSU doesn't. Its not for us to decide whats right or wrong for this kid. Only he knows. I just hate it when people on this board question the decisions these kids make and bash them for not choosing NDSU.

Swat_Team10
04-23-2008, 02:31 AM
I am shocked by Mr Burgandy's comments. NO PUN INTENDED. Only because you are one that usually gives some good solid comments on this board. I think you are showing your true colors, GREEN and GOLd!

As we all know the Sr. class did not have any mid major offers from DI programs. Coach Miles and his staff took players that they fealt could develop into high DII - Low Major DI players. They also sold PLAYING TIME. It worked and panned out. As far as I know Mike Tveidt, Carlson, This new JC player are the only ones on the roster that NDSU can honestly say they beat another descent DI program out on a recruit.

With that being said, I just think its kind of odd when you are down on a decision Jordan May made regarding going to a upstart DI program like UND, when four of our starting five made the same choice in coming to NDSU.

Take the scholly and run kid, congrats, and best of luck.

Stay tuned Mr B. as they may just land another local player up in Grand Forks in the Allard kid!

DIBISON
04-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Nice story about May on the WDAY TV sports tonight.

As reported, UND was the ONLY DI opportunity that he had. He also received SEVERAL DII offers.

So why wouldn't he take the DI scholarship over the DII offers?

At least he isn't going to a conference opponent.

DIBISON
04-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Also, of course the news isn't going to report the 4/5 offer. NDSU lined up a scholarship that is available for African Americans for May. So technicall speaking, he had a full ride though. Good luck to him, hopefully he can take care of his off court issues.

I assume that is not a basketball scholarship because Flowers received that last available NDSU basketball scholarship last week.

TheDoctor
04-23-2008, 03:00 AM
If he walked on this upcoming year and played well, he could have one of the 4 scholarships that will come open at the end of next season. ;)

Mr. Burgundy
04-23-2008, 03:08 AM
GOOD LUCK JORDAN MAY!!!!! I hope you are all "conference" for 4 years and enjoy your stay in Grand Forks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ra Ra Ra.....

Sorry if I offended anyone by saying I was shocked he took the UND offer.

SirHinn
04-23-2008, 03:29 AM
I am shocked by Mr Burgandy's comments. NO PUN INTENDED. Only because you are one that usually gives some good solid comments on this board. I think you are showing your true colors, GREEN and GOLd!

As we all know the Sr. class did not have any mid major offers from DI programs. Coach Miles and his staff took players that they fealt could develop into high DII - Low Major DI players. They also sold PLAYING TIME. It worked and panned out. As far as I know Mike Tveidt, Carlson, This new JC player are the only ones on the roster that NDSU can honestly say they beat another descent DI program out on a recruit.

With that being said, I just think its kind of odd when you are down on a decision Jordan May made regarding going to a upstart DI program like UND, when four of our starting five made the same choice in coming to NDSU.

Take the scholly and run kid, congrats, and best of luck.

Stay tuned Mr B. as they may just land another local player up in Grand Forks in the Allard kid!

May will do well at UND no doubt about that. UND on the othe hand, well I'm sure they'll continue to be just plain bad and to even try and compare them to NDSU is just plain silly. UND is on the 10 year plan, not the five.
Also, what do you expect Burgandy to say? He thought he was definately coming to NDSU, so he was shocked that he chose UND. Haven't you ever fully anticipated something to happen only to get completely blind sided? UND just came into the picture within the past week afer a scholly opened up. This is a NDSU message board, people will wish him luck, send him on his way and that's it. If you want people to continue to praise him, go to website up to the north. So you want Allard to walk on at UND instead of taking a scholly and running?

BisonBlogger
04-23-2008, 03:53 AM
What the young man didn't consider is the absolute pits it will be to play your entire career on a D1 independent team with a full 5 year probationary period until post season eligibility.

At least NDSU's next seasons redshirt Seniors knew they had a shot at post season their final year when they came in.

A good competitive basketball player playing his whole career with out a post season chance just makes no sense to me.

Mr. Burgundy
04-23-2008, 04:24 AM
I have calmed down. I have never lied to any of you guys on this board, so after digging up some 100% facts.....I thought I would share.

He was NOT offered a 4/5. He was offered the opportunity to walk on, have a jersey and compete for a scholarship down the road. I think something was mentioned about an "African American" Scholarship, and that is not true. Again, I just wanted to clear the facts.

I really wanted him to walk on, as I like his ability to score. However, after digging into this a bit more, I can understand and appreciate his decision. He gets a full ride and will probably play alot of games for UND.

The bottom line, they are offering full rides to kids that NDSU is offering to walk on. Expect Allard to follow....which has been mentioned many times.

Sorry for venting earlier....hope this clears some things up.

99Bison
04-23-2008, 04:45 AM
I have calmed down. I have never lied to any of you guys on this board, so after digging up some 100% facts.....I thought I would share.

He was NOT offered a 4/5. He was offered the opportunity to walk on, have a jersey and compete for a scholarship down the road. I think something was mentioned about an "African American" Scholarship, and that is not true. Again, I just wanted to clear the facts.

I really wanted him to walk on, as I like his ability to score. However, after digging into this a bit more, I can understand and appreciate his decision. He gets a full ride and will probably play alot of games for UND.

The bottom line, they are offering full rides to kids that NDSU is offering to walk on. Expect Allard to follow....which has been mentioned many times.

Seems pretty clear with this :-)

TheDoctor
04-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Expect Allard to follow....which has been mentioned many times.

I am 100% positive Allard is going as well. My question is....with a scholarship? Supposidly from sorces close to Jordan, this scholarship that Jordan just accepted came open on a fluke. Was Allard offered an open scholarship already that they are saving for his decision? I honestly don't know. But, if they didn't, then I don't think any scholarships are available. ;)

WYOBISONMAN
04-23-2008, 04:59 AM

I am with Burgundy on this one...........

heymch86
04-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Fargoans are just a little ticked one of their own went up north. If May would have gone to Moorhead State, Mary, St. Cloud, etc. we're all wishing him good luck. Truth is, May would not have played one lick at North Dakota State, and for those of you that really think he could have, that means NDSU would have some pretty ugly teams after the big 3 are gone. I don't think its a coincidence that UND was the only D1 school to offer him.

SirHinn
04-23-2008, 05:05 AM

This just shows in my case don't trust all your sources, even if they are his former coaches.

56BISON73
04-23-2008, 05:05 AM
There is no guarantee that he would have been offer a scholly. Plus there is no guarantee that they would have offered a full ride. He had the offer in front of him so he took it. Best of luck to him. PL

SlickVic
04-23-2008, 05:09 AM
This just shows in my case don't trust all your sources, even if they are his former coaches.

should have known better...have no fear hanks all be here somebody please text coach phillips and get it done

ndsubison1
04-23-2008, 06:20 AM
How can any of you ridicule a kid that choose a different college over NDSU? Even if it is UND... May is a great player, the couple times I've watched him in my life I was very impressed. After a couple of years I think he could have played for NDSU, he's that talented. The choice does seem a little weird since their bball program is horrible, but maybe he wants to play more and not earn his way towards a scholly or maybe UND has his major and NDSU doesn't,we may never know. But I would just like to say best of luck to Jordan.

sambini
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Good Luck To Jordan ++++

Hambone
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
What the young man didn't consider is the absolute pits it will be to play your entire career on a D1 independent team with a full 5 year probationary period until post season eligibility.

At least NDSU's next seasons redshirt Seniors knew they had a shot at post season their final year when they came in.

A good competitive basketball player playing his whole career with out a post season chance just makes no sense to me.

He's actually in the same spot as your redshirt Seniors, as he will redshirt this year (I would assume) and his senior year they will be eligible. Remember there are only 4 years remaining in the transition.

Bison Dan
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
He's actually in the same spot as your redshirt Seniors, as he will redshirt this year (I would assume) and his senior year they will be eligible. Remember there are only 4 years remaining in the transition.

Eligible for what? You have to be in a conference that has a auto bid to make that happen. As far as I can tell there isn't any conference out there waiting for new members.

missingnumber7
04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
UND sounds like a good place for him. I watched May play from junior high on up officiating. Hes a good streetballer. He left a fargo south system where he probably could've been part of a team as a sophomore and worked his way into the rotation to go to fargo north and play right away. But I think that he would've struggled to fit into NDSU and walking on would've been more work than he was willing to put in. Nothing against the kid, I enjoyed watching him play, and wish him luck.

RedRiver
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM

I understand that NDSU wants the local kids, but in the case of May a walk on offer was fair.

The Forum article today indicated that besides NDSU, May's final choices were amoung UND, Southwest Minnesota St. and Minnesota St. Moorhead.

Those are all DII schools.

This situation is not like Dufualt of Kildeer who had multiple DI offers.

Bison Dan
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I understand that NDSU wants the local kids, but in the case of May a walk on offer was fair.

The Forum article today indicated that besides NDSU, May's final choices were amoung UND, Southwest Minnesota St. and Minnesota St. Moorhead.

Those are all DII schools.

This situation is not like Dufualt of Kildeer who had multiple DI offers.

You would think that some better dii schools would have offered - like Winona, Mankato etc. It looks like und is building it's future on projects hoping that one or two will work out. They have yet to sign a good mid major recruit.

lakesbison
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
"I like the UND program and where its going"

where is it going? oh my gosh, are you kidding?

"HOW DO I REACH THEEEEESE KIIIIIIIDZ" Eric Cartmenez....

imabison
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM

No, I think the bottom line is that NDSU did not have a scholarship available, or he probably would have had one.

bizongrad83
04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
You are exactly right imabison. Good luck to Jordan!

Mr. Burgundy
04-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Not to be rude, but that is not correct. He was a walk on candidate regardless of scholarship availability. He is going to play, go to school for free...you can't fault him for that.

There is a difference in the ability of the kids the two schools are going after.

RedRiver
04-23-2008, 06:36 PM
You are right on Mr. B. Just look at where his scholarship offers were from.

Now when you look at Mr. Dufault from Killdeer and all of the DI interest in him, there is no comparison between the two. It still hurts because NDSU lost Dufault, but at least we were on level ground as we offered him a scholarship.

The_Herd
04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
He's on with Hammer right now

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
If I was a betting man........and I do at times....I would say the odds are pretty good down the road, that we will say "we are glad he made the choice to go up North"

roadwarrior
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Are his abilities on par with guards from places like Oakland, IUPUI, or Oral Roberts? Just asking since I have never seen him play. If we want to beat these teams we better be looking at athletes that can compete with them. And I would hope that other DI schools are interested in the athletes that we get to come to NDSU.

bisonhusker
04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Roadwarrior....the answer is no. He is not on par with those guards. Not athletically. Not nearly quick enough. But, he will work on his body and maybe gain some quickness. I was hoping he would walk on, nice local flavor. But not a Summit contributor.

heymch86
04-24-2008, 02:06 AM
May said on hammer today that his goal was to get UND to the ncaa tournament by his senior year. how about, get his team in a conference by his senior year.

TheDoctor
04-24-2008, 03:54 AM
May said on hammer today that his goal was to get UND to the ncaa tournament by his senior year. how about, get his team in a conference by his senior year.

OR getting his team to the tournament his senior year. NOT, BY his senior year, since the 1st year they are even eligible IS his senior year. ;)

heymch86
04-24-2008, 04:35 AM
ha geez. thank you B1SON for clearing that up. i thought you were a kickball teacher not an english professor

TheDoctor
04-24-2008, 04:55 AM
ha geez. thank you B1SON for clearing that up. i thought you were a kickball teacher not an english professor

Ah yes, the beauty of the internet! You should know better than to think my slight was on you heymch. I assumed what you said was accurate and therefore it was a knock on UND and/or Jordan for saying the goal was to get there by the end of his senior year, as if it even possible to do it before. So now over a simple misunderstanding, you made a commment like that to me. I could very easily get offended and defensive (such as you did originally), but I'll take the high road. Stay classy buddy! ;)

RedRiver
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Eric Peterson of The Forum provided an update in today's paper that clarified the scholarship and walk on situation.

"UND gave May a full scholarship. NDSU asked May to walk on, unable to offer May scholarship assistance."

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=199034&section=Columnists&columnist=Eric%20Peterson

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Eric Peterson of The Forum provided an update in today's paper that clarified the scholarship and walk on situation.

"UND gave May a full scholarship. NDSU asked May to walk on, unable to offer May scholarship assistance."

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=199034&section=Columnists&columnist=Eric%20Peterson

I think the argument here is more of, if NDSU had a scholarship available, would they have still asked May to walk on, or not.

bisonhusker
04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Silk....the answer is no. He was asked to walk on. Now, if a walk on really improves....obviously he would have been a redshirt as a freshman walk on.....he would have had an opportunity to earn a scholarship. The PG from Wisconsin that will be here in two years is absolutely a stud. Call it stupid, but he is very similar to Woodside at that age. Small, very confident, but a DEEP shooter. Plays on one of the top AAU teams in the country...I have heard the BEST, but I don't know that for sure. I just know they are very good and he is the PG. Maybe he will be our 2nd Mr. Basketball coming from Wisconsin!!!!

Bison101
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Silk....the answer is no. He was asked to walk on. Now, if a walk on really improves....obviously he would have been a redshirt as a freshman walk on.....he would have had an opportunity to earn a scholarship. The PG from Wisconsin that will be here in two years is absolutely a stud. Call it stupid, but he is very similar to Woodside at that age. Small, very confident, but a DEEP shooter. Plays on one of the top AAU teams in the country...I have heard the BEST, but I don't know that for sure. I just know they are very good and he is the PG. Maybe he will be our 2nd Mr. Basketball coming from Wisconsin!!!!

Good work, Bisonhusker, and good points!

SirHinn
04-25-2008, 04:14 AM

He's not similar to Woodside at all though, they are complete polar opposites. Look at actual tape before you comment on how players are similar. Zastrow isn't similar to how Woody at all. Zastrow is much more of a shooting guard compared to a point guard from the tape I've scene. At this age, I'd compare him more to Mr. Nelson then I would Woody.

SlickVic
04-25-2008, 04:21 AM
He's not similar to Woodside at all though, they are complete polar opposites. Look at actual tape before you comment on how players are similar. Zastrow isn't similar to how Woody at all. Zastrow is much more of a shooting guard compared to a point guard from the tape I've scene. At this age, I'd compare him more to Mr. Nelson then I would Woody.

have you seen any tape on jordan may? im assuming you havnt or may be blind because if you've ever seen the kid youd no he has no chance at ever qualifying for an "african american" scholarship

99Bison
04-25-2008, 06:33 AM

One could argue that Woody isn't a point guard type either. From the tape on the web I would agree that they are very similar.

ndsubison1
04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
have you seen any tape on jordan may? im assuming you havnt or may be blind because if you've ever seen the kid youd no he has no chance at ever qualifying for an "african american" scholarship

May may be lighter skinned, but his dad isn't. Maybe that would qualify?

bisonhusker
04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I compared Zastrow to Woody by saying they are both small and very confident. Nothing to do with their games. I have seen plenty of tape. Woody is obviously physically alot bigger after 4 years in the program. Zastrow can fill it from DEEP. Range that starts when he ties his shoes. he will be alot of fun to watch. Very competitive. I don't see the Mike Nelson comparison at all. But, that is just my opinion.

SirHinn
04-25-2008, 09:02 PM

No I haven't seen any tape of Jordan May, I just saw him play live in person around 10 to 15 games. Have you seen May play?
It's also called an AFRICAN AMERICAN COLLEGE GRANT, maybe if you actually did some research instead of running your mouth you'd realize he would more then qualify for the Grant.

SirHinn
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I compared Zastrow to Woody by saying they are both small and very confident. Nothing to do with their games. I have seen plenty of tape. Woody is obviously physically alot bigger after 4 years in the program. Zastrow can fill it from DEEP. Range that starts when he ties his shoes. he will be alot of fun to watch. Very competitive. I don't see the Mike Nelson comparison at all. But, that is just my opinion.

Good post! I see the Nelson comparison more then the Woody comparison because he can't penetrate like Woody. He's not a pure point guard and still really can't penetrate like Woody can.

SlickVic
04-25-2008, 09:36 PM
No I haven't seen any tape of Jordan May, I just saw him play live in person around 10 to 15 games. Have you seen May play?
It's also called an AFRICAN AMERICAN COLLEGE GRANT, maybe if you actually did some research instead of running your mouth you'd realize he would more then qualify for the Grant.

ive played with him in person...im not the one running my mouth about anything you were the one who brought up the "african american" shcholershship now all the sudden its a grant? i dont need to do any research to realize that the kid wouldnt qualify as an african american in any way shape or form

TransAmBison
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
i dont need to do any research to realize that the kid wouldnt qualify as an african american in any way shape or form
How about if he spoke gangsta? Would that at least get'em some free books? :D Just kidding, just kidding.

SirHinn
04-26-2008, 12:34 AM
ive played with him in person...im not the one running my mouth about anything you were the one who brought up the "african american" shcholershship now all the sudden its a grant? i dont need to do any research to realize that the kid wouldnt qualify as an african american in any way shape or form

I'd ask you if you even knew the difference between the two, but clearly I already know the answer considering you don't even think he would qualify for the Grant. That pretty much tells the tale of the tape right there. Again, depending on the Universities, there are African American Scholarships and Grants available. Again though, I wouldn't expect you to know that because that would involve RESEARCH. One of my friends was 1/8 Native American, he qualified for a scholarship on that basis. According to you though, he wouldn't qualify because he's not native american in any way shape or form.

BisonBlogger
04-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Point will be the only position Zastrow will be able to play at the D1 college level because of his height. Will he be Woodside? No. Woody will be the all time leading scorer and maybe the most talented player NDSU has ever had, but Zastrow shows the moxie to try to get the job done.

Because defense is a high priority in Coach Phillips philosophy, playing the wing or two-guard will require some size and athletism to defend wing players at this level. No doubt, Zastrow can score and shoot the ball, but he would be very limited trying to do it off the ball with much taller players defending him.

Nelson's replacement and what he can do on both sides of the ball has not been recruited yet.

Mr. Burgundy
04-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Zastrow is a 1. Period. He can shoot the ball....that doesn't make him a 2 guard. Just wanted to clarify. I am pretty pumped about this kid, and he isn't even a sernior in high school yet!