PDA

View Full Version : The D-Line

AEBison1998
04-22-2008, 02:28 AM
I heard the coach talking about how the D-line has improved so much. I was excited to hear that. But he also said that behind the front 4 is a lot of inexperience. Does anyone know who the leading contenders are for the number two spots on the d-line? How are those guys doing?

I saw a clip where Garrett Johnson was playing DT. I thought that was interesting since previously he was a DE. We are only going to go as far as the D-line takes us next year. That is how I see it. And depth is so important for the guys in the trenches.

SlickVic
04-22-2008, 07:28 AM
the D-line will be just fine no doubt about it whats everybody so concerned about? our best player on defense plays DE...joe lardinois is practically unblockable

Scooter1
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with Slick. With Lardinois, Gratzek, Fairbairn, and Compton returning, if just two others step up to the challenge we will be just fine. With Boyer, Johnson, Danilkowicz, Phillips, Stockzinski, and Yuen backing them up, the odds are good that two of those guys will step up their game and contribute.

AEBison1998
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm just going by the clips seen on the news but it looks to me like the guys playing together are Phillips, Johnson, Stoczynski, and Boyer. If that is our number two's that is a very impressive recruiting class from last year. Three redshirt freshmen.

OldBison
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
It sure sounds like the D is asserting itself, but it usually does in spring drills when the O is working in a new QB. This from the SID on last Thurs scrimmage:

North Dakota State University football conducted its second scrimmage in five days and the defense stepped up with four sacks, three pass breakups, a pair of forced fumbles and an interception on Thursday, April 17, in the Fargodome.

It was the fourth workout over the span of five days for the Bison football team and the defense set the tone early as the first teams squared off in the first three series of the 45-play scrimmage. NDSU is scheduled to practice at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

The first drive stalled at the 38-yard line as defense end Joe Lardinois and linebacker Matt Anderson combined to stuff a running play, while cornerback Nate Agbetola came up with a pass breakup on a third and 10 situation.

The entire scrimmage along with quotes from coaches and players can be found here:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1442530

It looks like the SID has updated the roster since the seniors like Mays and Walker are no longer on it. That is important in this discussion. Posters here say Johnson is working this spring as a DT, roster still lists him as a DE. That's fine, but they list his weight as 255, way too light to play DT. Danilkowicz is listed at 262, also too light. If they have bulked up beyond that it would be nice to know. Last years tackles ran in the 270 range and they were too light in the middle to be as effective as they could have been. I see Gratzek is about 283 this, and he will likely be an animal, Phillips is about 274. Yuen was listed in the 280-285 range as I recall, if that's true that will help.

My bottom line is this, unless I see differently I think many of these young guys are too light to really be contributors at DT unless the roster is not current and they are bigger than that. Boyer will likely see time at DE, but backups in the middle of the DL behind Fairburn, Gratzek and Yuen at the DT and nose peg positions are going to be a premium and I am not sure the Bison are there, YET. There is the summer weight program, however.

bisonmike2
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I hope our d-line is improved. In my opinion it's the most important set of defensive players. They set the tone for the whole defense. They take on blockers, letting the LB's flow to the ball. They put pressure on the QB's, forcing bad passes and rushed throws. If you don't have solid play from the d-line you have better have all-stars at every other position b/c the d-line really does allow everyone else on the defense breathe a little easier. I thought our defense looked a tad down from the year before, and it was mainly due to the play at d-line. We didn't get the pressure last year like we did the year before and as a result, I thought we saw some bigger plays given up by the d. If we are going to have a big playoff push we will need solid d-line play all year.

Bison bison
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree with Slick, with Lardinois, Gratzek, Fairbairn, and Compton returning, if just two others step up to the challenge we will be just fine. With Boyer, Johnson, Danilkowicz, Phillips, Stockzinski, and Yuen backing them up, the odds are good that two of those guys will step up their game and contribute.

Me and you.

Yuen me.

Both of us together!!!!!

Bison bison
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
It sure sounds like the D is asserting itself, but it usually does in spring drills when the O is working in a new QB.

And that's why our schedule is perfectly tailored to further prove our offense enroute during our first playoff-eligible season.

msvjcpa
04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Just looking at the sizes on-line and I'm struck by how Stoczynski is getting left behind in the size department. At 6'2" 236 he is barely the right size for a linebacker let alone a defensive end. The days of the small DE are over if you want to compete. We need our DE corps in the 250-260 range. Can stoczyncki get there? Some guys bodies get tapped out and you can't put much more mass on them without them slowing down. Is he in that situation?

stevdock
04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Lardinois was this size too when he was a freshman. I would assume that Stoczynski will add on more the older he gets, and by the time he is consistently called upon to perform, he will be up in that 250-260 range that I agree DE's have to be for us to compete.

Scooter1
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Lardinois was this size too when he was a freshman. I would assume that Stoczynski will add on more the older he gets, and by the time he is consistently called upon to perform, he will be up in that 250-260 range that I agree DE's have to be for us to compete.
Stoczynski has put on 8 lbs and could put on 4 more in the summer this could put him at 240 for his RFR year. Here is how our two SR DE progressed at NDSU.

Lardinois
FR.....212
RFR...229
SO....250
JR.....250
SR....262

Compton
FR...225
RFR..229
SO...229
JR....247
SR...254

msvjcpa
04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Stoczynski has put on 8 lbs and could put on 4 more in the summer this could put him at 240 for his RFR year. Here is how our two SR DE progressed at NDSU.

Lardinois
FR.....212
RFR...229
SO....250
JR.....250
SR....262

Compton
FR...225
RFR..229
SO...229
JR....247
SR...254

Fair enough. It just seemed like with the weight program these guys have been on since they started, Johnson and Boyer have really responded. Both have added significant weight (25lbs. or so) and haven't lost any speed or agility. Stoczynski has added 8. I heard he didn't test that quick a month or so ago either. Johnson was the quickest and most agile of the three from what I heard.

Seems like the team is in a tough spot with Sto as a recruit because there is really no where for him to play but DE and he's not near big enough yet. It's a shame because I'm sure the coaches would love to have both Boyer and Johnson backing up the DE spot but you can't put Sto in the middle to reinforce so you have to move Johnson or Boyer in there. For now, it looks like Johnson got the call. If the Juco comes in and does what we all hope he can do, I see them moving Johnson back out to the other DE spot opposite Boyer and Sto... well... kinda puts him on the bubble.

As for the weight of Lardinois and Compton over the years, the team has come a long way competition-wise since they started. We don't have the luxury any longer of waiting until the SR year to be at the right weight if we want to be competitive. We'll have to wait and see how Sto develops. I think there are high-tech tests to determine how much each kids frame can handle weight-wise and not lose any speed or agility. Anyone know if the team does these tests? Is Sto tapped out on his frame? May be a reason he has only be able to add 8 in 9 months.

X-Factor
04-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Isn't Lardinois 6-4 or 6-5? He has a huge frame in any event and was basically a twig when he came to NDSU. If Sto is 6-2 he probably wont ever be that big. But with the proper dedication, there is no reason why he can't be at his optimal weight by this fall(whatever that might be I don't know). I am 5-10 and I have put on 10lbs of muscle in a 5 week period before so it is possible. It's not easy by any means, but doable with the enough time/food/sleep.

I think it's just great that we have a couple RFr. DE's that will be able to contribute quality minutes this fall. That's huge.

SlickVic
04-25-2008, 04:37 AM
X what are the odds on lardinois for first team all-american? even money? u think that utah houston under all hit? u bet that? 40 pts for the 4th quarter i got a dime on that to ouch

Scooter1
04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
As for the weight of Lardinois and Compton over the years, the team has come a long way competition-wise since they started. We don't have the luxury any longer of waiting until the SR year to be at the right weight if we want to be competitive. We'll have to wait and see how Sto develops. I think there are high-tech tests to determine how much each kids frame can handle weight-wise and not lose any speed or agility. Anyone know if the team does these tests? Is Sto tapped out on his frame? May be a reason he has only be able to add 8 in 9 months.

I disagree with you. I think NDSU has never been in a better situation than right now to go out and get those Lardinois type kids out of HS. With Fairbairn, Gratzek, Yuen, Danilkowicz, Johnson, Boyer, all looking to get significant time this year, where is the dire need to get these kids on the field at day 1 of their college experience? My guess is that you may see another JC DL thrown into the mix after next year at the DE spot. Here is a list of the DL kids that have 2 or more years left. I've highlighted the ones that I feel will contribute significantly next year and projected them out for the 2009 year

JR Fairbairn....... 6' 2 294......2009...298
JR Yuen T..........6'0" 280......2009...285
JR Rossi ............5"11 283.....2009....?
SO Gratzek..........6'2 283.....2009...290
So Phillips...........6'4 274.......2009....280
SO Papke ...........6'0 256.....2009...?
SO Sharpe ...........6'1 243.....2009...250
RFR Danilkowicz.....6'3 262.....2009...282
RFR Johnson...... ..6'4 255.......2009...270
RFR Boyer ............6'4 247......2009..260
RFR Stockzynski....6'2 236......2009...250
FR Offerman........6'3 270......2009...280