PDA

View Full Version : While Recruits Are Interesting...

CaBisonFan
04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
...are we missing the point?

During my time living in rural Minnesota I became accustomed to the scratchings of Sid Hartman. Over time, I came to view him as a 'negative' for the U of M, and even the professional teams in the Twin Cities.

Let's see...what bothered me the most? hmmmm

I know, it had mostly to do with recruiting. Another favorite topic of Hartman's is the stupidity of the administration at the U of M 'and' civic leaders. When, in his mind, athletics wasn't given a blank check, he called everyone involved a 'genius,' sarcastically...meaning that he was out for their head.

And once the young Gopher recruit arrived on campus he/she was either pronounced a saint, or a bust...while their lives were taken apart and analyzed by Hartman & his fellow competitors at the Tribune. My family has first-hand experience with this. With Barry Wohler being my wife's cousin, we all found it to be a bit annoying when Hartman chastised him for making decisions about 'his' life.

This...to me...has been a piece of the 'puzzle of frustration' for Gopher fans. There has been too much concern over the size, height, weight, speed, etc. over recruits...and far too little written about teamwork, pride, and just general support from the people of Minnesota. People like Sid, and others in the Minnesota athletic power structure, have made commodities of these kids. The same would apply to coaches. In Sid Hartman's mind, coaches are either great, or they're idiots. He doesn't tolerate 'good.'

Back to Bison Country

While I don't see a problem with looking at lists of potential recruits and looking at the future, I do see a problem with getting 'too' interested. In the case of one potential quarterback recruit, we actually had him here reading some of our comments about his abilities and the recruiting process. For my taste, the line got a little blurry. I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I commented, so if anything, I'm questioning myself.

In a discussion with Gene Taylor several years ago, I mentioned a kid from Hemet, CA that I thought NDSU could recruit. Gene was very nice, but he asked me to be extremely careful with being over-involved, contacting him, contacting his parents, etc. I have stuck by his request 100 percent. I've sent a few newspaper clippings to the staff...that's all.

While I don't feel that we've broken any NCAA rules here, there have been times when I've felt that we have gone slightly over the line in terms of digging too deep into the lives of a 17 or 18 year old.

I want no part of what I believe Sid Hartman has done. I'd rather let the coaching staff do what they think is best...allow the players to make a decision that is right for them...and then enjoy the 'team.'

If someone wants to post a discussion about recruits, I have no problem. That's not my point at all. It's fun to read about. But maybe we should cool it just a little about kids, yeah kids, that may come to 'play,' or kids that want to leave, or kids that just want to stop playing...or kids that don't pan out...or kids that, kids that, kids that....kids............:nod: ...kids.

Facts are facts...yup. But maybe...just maybe...sometimes the facts can get a little too factual for the sake of the young people...and the Bison program.

Other universities can have great recruiting classes...but very few of them have what we have.

We have the Bison...a great team with tradition...something that we should protect...and something that we should allow the coaches to recruit for, and to coach. That, to me, is the continuing road to success.

But even more importantly...the Bison teams are made up of very young people that are searching for something that will make them successful & happy. If we lose sight of that, then we've really lost. I suspect that once upon a time, programs like we enjoy at all of our schools were designed to be good for the people that were involved.

Thanks to a fellow bisonville friend for reminding us of this.

(I'm writing this to myself as much as anyone.)

Jdubs21
04-21-2008, 03:40 AM
I agree CA, sometimes its easy to lose focus of these kids being people and not just football players, but than again everyone has done that some point in their life

Tatanka
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Well put and well taken.

bisonhusker
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Are you serious? That was just a bizarre post. The quarterback didn't read this board, that was a fan talking about the quarterback...I know the situation you are talking about.

Nobody on this board is doing anything wrong (Lakes**). We are in D1 now...and recruiting is a large part of it. People want to know, and are starting to follow the kids we are recruiting. nothing is over the line.

Some of the stuff that you think about is just bizarre to me.

Lets think about a 35,000 stadium....but not worry about recruiting. ok...

OldBison
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Are you serious? That was just a bizarre post. The quarterback didn't read this board, that was a fan talking about the quarterback...I know the situation you are talking about.

Nobody on this board is doing anything wrong (Lakes**). We are in D1 now...and recruiting is a large part of it. People want to know, and are starting to follow the kids we are recruiting. nothing is over the line.

Based on your posts over the past few minutes I would say there is someone having a very, very, bad day, for which there can only be one remedy :banghead:

met1990
04-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Somebody's got a case of the Mondays...

Jdubs21
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Somebody's got a case of the Mondays...

hahaha nice

bisonhusker
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Long day!!!!

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Who is Shane Potter....what is his status?

Thunder_Struck
04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I think Shane Potter posts on this board under the name OnTheFifty.

CaBisonFan
04-22-2008, 12:59 AM

And what shall I call your post...normal...or just a
bad hair day? :eeek:

I've written an article or two about the need to start
planning for a larger stadium. I agree totally.

'Bizarre' is a compliment. That...after all...is the point.

Otherwise, why bother?

This is what I would prescribe.

:bong: