PDA

View Full Version : Visionaries vs. Dinguses

Tatanka
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
So there I am, sitting in my chair waiting for the Bon Jovi concert to start, and it hits me. Here are 25000 people from all over the region, swarming the city of Fargo, spending money all over town, many of them staying overnight in our hotels, enjoying a sold-out concert in the state's largest entertainment venue.

So I think to myself: Self, what a privilege it is to be able to enjoy this kind of night out with the wife and only have to travel 6 miles, most of that to avoid traffic. I'm in a building that has made a profit every year of its existence, and has put helped to put Fargo on the entertainment map. Thankfully the visionaries that pushed for the dome back in the day won...

Where are the dinguses that voted the dome down? What are they doing tonight?

Then I think to myself: Self, we have visionaries and dinguses in the present day as well. President Chapman as opposed to the soon-to-be-replaced administration at teh unifersity. A university successfully moving to Division I vs a university trying to trash the decision then follow in the footsteps just to keep up with the joneses and save face. Those pushing for the Dome Addition as opposed to teh Mike Williamses. Those who are saying "yes, we can do this" as opposed to those coming up with 1000 reasons why something might fail.

To hell with the dinguses. That is all.

</rant>

99Bison
04-21-2008, 05:06 AM
++++++++++++++++++++

DIGRAPPLER
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Someone (who is a more fancy writer than me) needs to write a letter to the editor thanking the dome for this vision and the fact that they do bring a lot to this community and state. Concerts, Rib fest, circus, Bison football!! I think people loose site of what the dome has done to positively affect the area both in quality of life and economic impact. West Acres, the restarants, hotels, gas stations, etc should all be sending the dome staff a box of cigars this morning.

met1990
04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Speaking about the Fargodome specifically, has there ever been a study done on its overall economic impact? I'd be interested to what impact it has by drawing in so many people.

lakesbison
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
TIME TO EXPAND THE WEST WALL!!!

35,000+ Seating!!

tony
04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Speaking about the Fargodome specifically, has there ever been a study done on its overall economic impact? I'd be interested to what impact it has by drawing in so many people.

There was a study done back in 2002 - it said that adult* concerts had the greatest direct economic effect, followed by USA Wrestling, followed by Bison football (2002 was the worst possible year to do the study).

They estimated $10 million in direct economic impact for 2002.

* Concerts with a largely adult audience, not pr0n

met1990
04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
There was a study done back in 2002 - it said that adult* concerts had the greatest direct economic effect, followed by USA Wrestling, followed by Bison football (2002 was the worst possible year to do the study).

* Concerts with a largely adult audience, not pr0n

Thanks Tony.

Here's a link to that study if anyone else is interested: http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/123456789/12055/1/sp040001.pdf

Tatanka
04-22-2008, 03:50 AM
According to WDAY News:

3.5M in economic impact. Every hotel in F-M sold out. People were staying in Barnesville, Casselton, Hawley because they couldn't find a room in Fargo...

skolbrother
04-22-2008, 04:01 AM
According to WDAY News:

3.5M in economic impact. Every hotel in F-M sold out. People were staying in Barnesville, Casselton, Hawley because they couldn't find a room in Fargo...

That is 1/10th of the cost of the proposed addition. it just makes sense but some will continue to think small.

TheBisonator
04-22-2008, 04:09 AM
According to WDAY News:

Time to build another hotel skyscraper downtown, like a Marriott or Double Tree.

I'm serious.

56BISON73
04-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Time to build another hotel skyscraper downtown, like a Marriott or Double Tree.

I'm serious.

Before you build a new church for easter sunday you have to know what the avg occupancy per hotel is. The hotel chains do. Last year hotel rooms were not at a premium for the Bison games. PL

missingnumber7
05-06-2008, 08:01 PM

How does one get invited to these "adult*" concerts?

99Bison
05-06-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm serious.

There's a serious cost involved with build that tall of buildings in Fargo (couple hundred feet down to get to bedrock). Hence they aren't very popular. It has always been cheaper to just expand out.

99Bison
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Before you build a new church for easter sunday you have to know what the avg occupancy per hotel is. The hotel chains do. Last year hotel rooms were not at a premium for the Bison games. PL

There are already a ton of hotels in the FM area... and more on the way.

roadwarrior
05-06-2008, 09:51 PM
There are already a ton of hotels in the FM area... and more on the way.

Two new ones opened this year in Fargo. The new Kelly Inn and the Expressway Suites. There are two more that I know of under construction also.

Hammersmith
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Two new ones opened this year in Fargo. The new Kelly Inn and the Expressway Suites. There are two more that I know of under construction also.

I live in the area of both those two. When the Hilton(?) is finished in a year or two, we'll have nine hotels in a nine square block area.

Gully
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM

I'm serious.

"Another" skycraper? What am I missing?