PDA

View Full Version : Is Steve Walker an NFL caliber quarterback?

CaBisonFan
04-14-2008, 04:02 AM
I happen to think that he is.

OK...he isn't a prototype NFL prospect...but...

...I think that if Steve landed on the right team, that he could be a very good one...and that he would surprise people with his intelligence, his heart, his competitiveness, and his arm.

I will never, ever, never forget the 47-yard rope that he threw to Kole H. at Cal Poly last fall with about 30 seconds left. I've watched that clip over & over, and the ball was an absolute rope...and it went 47 yards to exactly the spot that it 'had to' be. Kole made a great move, and a great catch, and broke a tackle to get to the end zone...but man...did the ball ever get there in a hurry. Lack of arm? Oh please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw

So he lacks a couple of inches in height...big deal. Steve has a Joe Montana type of football smarts. He 'feels' the game. An NFL team would do well to give him at least a couple of years to show what he can do.

SDSUJack3031
04-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Nope he isn't

CaBisonFan
04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Nope he isn't

How many games did you see him play during his career at NDSU?

SirHinn
04-14-2008, 09:01 AM

How many games have you seen him play during his career? Regardless though, that's completely irrelevant. Just because he had a solid career at NDSU and made smart decisions and has a feel for the game doen't mean he's an NFL caliber quarterback. There's plenty of QB's out there who have had that same heart, intelligence, competiveness, and yes even that below average arm strength that couldn't make it into the NFL. My opinion is that he has a chance to possibly make a practice squad if he's given that opportunity.

He's hoping to possibly land on a practice squad or perhaps in the CFL, that's all he can ask for at this point.

SDSUJack3031
04-14-2008, 09:33 AM

About 5 or 6 I would say during his junior and senior year. I just don't feel he'll make it. He was an awesome QB and I'm glad he's gone, but I just don't think he's an NFL quality quarterback. Just my opinion. I would be happy if he did make it though.

missingnumber7
04-14-2008, 01:37 PM

I've seen a lot more than 5 or 6 and as many good moments as he had, I would have to say I agree. I don't think he is. I think that he could be a CFL caliber QB, but not an NFL guy.

G-city Bison Fan
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Just remember that all of those things you would consider average on him now will be magnified by about 100 times if he were to go to the NFL.

As much as I would love to see it, I really don't think he has the physical tools to be there. The smarts, guts, and overall mentality...absolutely, but unfortunately that isn't all that it takes.

bisonaudit
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
How many of the guys in the NFL are NFL caliber quarterbacks?

silkamilkamonico
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
IMHO, the only way he's going to impress is if he gets a shot in a preseason game situation and takes advantage of it.

People can talk about his smarts all they want, but he isn't much of a practice QB, and in the eyes of the NFL that won't even get you a roster spot, or een an oppurtunity a lot of the times.

CaBisonFan
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM

I couldn't agree more.

Bison Dan
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM

All of them!

Kermit
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
All of them!

Wrong! Many of the non-quarterbacks in the NFL are not NFL caliber quarterbacks.

Bison Dan
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Wrong! Many of the non-quarterbacks in the NFL are not NFL caliber quarterbacks.

I'm sure he meant NFL quarterback in the NFL.

bisonaudit
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess you can take a statement literally (BisonDan) or you can take a statement LITERALLY (Kermit). :)

Bison"FANatic"
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Just remember that all of those things you would consider average on him now will be magnified by about 100 times if he were to go to the NFL.

As much as I would love to see it, I really don't think he has the physical tools to be there. The smarts, guts, and overall mentality...absolutely, but unfortunately that isn't all that it takes.

I think you summed it up pretty well. I am no NFL Scout but guts and smarts don't get you into the Not For Long league. I hope he gets a shot but I don't expect it to happen I just don't think I saw the Arm Strength that is needed to succeed in the NFL. The Cal poly throw was 48 yards and I believe the top prospects this year are throwing it a minimum of 65+ in the long distance throws. The kid from Deleware launched it 70+ at the one "try out" on TV earlier this year. Granted those were not game time throws but 20 yards is a huge difference at the NFL level. Just my .02

Smarts, guts and overall mentality go a long ways though, because if it was just on arm strength and throwing a "pretty ball" in warm ups Mertens would have started for us last year as I thought he looked a lot better in warmups last year than Walker. Walker has the "IT" though and he knew how to use it.

56BISON73
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I think you summed it up pretty well. I am no NFL Scout but guts and smarts don't get you into the Not For Long league. I hope he gets a shot but I don't expect it to happen I just don't think I saw the Arm Strength that is needed to succeed in the NFL. The Cal poly throw was 48 yards and I believe the top prospects this year are throwing it a minimum of 65+ in the long distance throws. The kid from Deleware launched it 70+ at the one "try out" on TV earlier this year. Granted those were not game time throws but 20 yards is a huge difference at the NFL level. Just my .02

Smarts, guts and overall mentality go a long ways though, because if it was just on arm strength and throwing a "pretty ball" in warm ups Mertens would have started for us last year as I thought he looked a lot better in warmups last year than Walker. Walker has the "IT" though and he knew how to use it.

Didnt the receiver have to slow down so he could catch that pass also???
PL

TransAmBison
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Didnt the receiver have to slow down so he could catch that pass also???
PL
I don't think so, if I remember correctly. I thought that one hit him right in stride. Anything less than perfect would not have ended up a touchdown.

99Bison
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
IMHO, the only way he's going to impress is if he gets a shot in a preseason game situation and takes advantage of it.

People can talk about his smarts all they want, but he isn't much of a practice QB, and in the eyes of the NFL that won't even get you a roster spot, or een an oppurtunity a lot of the times.

Agreed, hope he gets a shot.

On a tangent, physical this, that and the other thing are always over valued during draft season.

99Bison
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
One other thing to note about Walker's passing that haven't seen for a while is that he has a full arselna of passes that he does well.

He is accurate on touch, in, out or passes with zip. That is actually a fairly complicated set to have, and many don't have this, including some at the nfl level.

Hambone
04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I may have posted a link to something from this guy before, but Josh Buchanon posts on the d2football message board, and he actually does a lot of work on small school (FCS and below) draft prospects. It's my understanding that he's very reputable. Anyway, he has ranked the small school players 1-328 for a small school mock draft. See posts 57 and 58 here:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=10498&page=3

Bison included are Drago at #15, Mays at #30, and Walker at #280.

He also has completed a 7 round mock draft on small school players, found here:

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/small_shool_seven_mound_mock_draft.html

This draft has Drago going #16 to Arizona, Mays going #29 to San Fran, and Walker going in the 7th round (#235) to Dallas.

Just some info that I thought you guys would like, seeing how he is a reputable draft guy, when thinking about Walker's chances. I do wish him the best of luck!

99Bison
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I may have posted a link to something from this guy before, but Josh Buchanon posts on the d2football message board, and he actually does a lot of work on small school (FCS and below) draft prospects. It's my understanding that he's very reputable. Anyway, he has ranked the small school players 1-328 for a small school mock draft. See posts 57 and 58 here:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=10498&page=3

Bison included are Drago at #15, Mays at #30, and Walker at #280.

He also has completed a 7 round mock draft on small school players, found here:

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/small_shool_seven_mound_mock_draft.html

This draft has Drago going #16 to Arizona, Mays going #29 to San Fran, and Walker going in the 7th round (#235) to Dallas.

Just some info that I thought you guys would like, seeing how he is a reputable draft guy, when thinking about Walker's chances. I do wish him the best of luck!

This sounds somewhat respectable from a drafting stand point.

Bison"FANatic"
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Don't know anything about the guy that made that list but for being a list of just small school prospects. I believe there are around 18 QB's listed in front of Walker. As much as I want to keep my green and yellow glasses on, I just don't believe we will be seeing Walker in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong but my answer to the title of this thread is No.

CaBisonFan
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
One other thing to note about Walker's passing that haven't seen for a while is that he has a full arselna of passes that he does well.

He is accurate on touch, in, out or passes with zip. That is actually a fairly complicated set to have, and many don't have this, including some at the nfl level.

The pass to Heckendorf at the end of the Sam Houston game is actually more impressive than the Cal Poly pass. For me...I don't see many NFL quarterbacks...or many DI quarterbacks that can make that pass look so simple. True...the DB probably wasn't very good, but man, the pass was so perfect, and under immense pressure.

I agree with you.

X-Factor
04-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Walker was a great QB for the Bison, I love him to death, but jeeze come on he is just not NFL material. There is no shame in that either. I think if he can get onto a practice squad or maybe even the CFL that would be just great.

56BISON73
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Walker is a very good college QB. The problem arises for many because he produced great memories. That in its self doesnt make him NFL material. Would I like to see him play at the next level? Sure I would. But I dont think we will. PL

skolbrother
04-15-2008, 01:57 AM
I certainly agree he is not prototypical but.... he just seems to have IT. That will always make those of us that followed him wonder if IT translates to the next level.

rutlandbison
04-15-2008, 02:01 AM
I certainly agree he is not prototypical but.... he just seems to have IT. That will always make those of us that followed him wonder if IT translates to the next level.

Very well put.

G-city Bison Fan
04-15-2008, 02:23 AM
The pass to Heckendorf at the end of the Sam Houston game is actually more impressive than the Cal Poly pass. For me...I don't see many NFL quarterbacks...or many DI quarterbacks that can make that pass look so simple. True...the DB probably wasn't very good, but man, the pass was so perfect, and under immense pressure.

I agree with you.

Just for the sake of argument, I remember hearing a story back in the day when Daunte Culpepper was a rookie that he was throwing footballs into a five gallon bucket from 50 yrds away. True or not I don't think you guys understand the talent differential between college and pro ball, especially at the skill positions. I could be wrong, who knows, but I really don't think Steve would hold up well against pro-defenses.

rutlandbison
04-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Just for the sake of argument, I remember hearing a story back in the day when Daunte Culpepper was a rookie that he was throwing footballs into a five gallon bucket from 50 yrds away. True or not I don't think you guys understand the talent differential between college and pro ball, especially at the skill positions. I could be wrong, who knows, but I really don't think Steve would hold up well against pro-defenses.

So, you must know this because you were an NFL quarterback?

NDSUstudent
04-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Walker has the intangibles and the mental aspects but he lacks the measurables. NFL teams will just pick apart his size, speed, and arm strength to the point where it will be tough for him to get that one chance he needs.

G-city Bison Fan
04-15-2008, 05:26 AM

lol...hell i don't even play qb in our flag football league ;)

I hate to be the bad guy in this argument and say Steve can't do it. I would love to see him get an opportunity and make the most of it.

I am pretty sure I saw him get his first action at UNC (I think that was the first game time action he saw) and he made so many clutch throws over the years, he is definitely one of the best NDSU has ever had. In my opinion though (keeping in mind I have no affiliation with the NFL) ;) I think his lack of physical tools wouldn't be enough to make up for his superior head and guts.

missingnumber7
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I hate to be the bad guy in this argument and say Steve can't do it. I would love to see him get an opportunity and make the most of it.

I am pretty sure I saw him get his first action at UNC (I think that was the first game time action he saw) and he made so many clutch throws over the years, he is definitely one of the best NDSU has ever had. In my opinion though (keeping in mind I have no affiliation with the NFL) ;) I think his lack of physical tools wouldn't be enough to make up for his superior head and guts.

1st off you aren't being a bad guy by saying he can't do it. Its part of being a realist vs being a homer. I too say that I don't think he can do it. I hope he proves me wrong. I would love to watch him play again.

2nd...if they would've pulled Stauss before he had thrown 5 INT's then Walker would've won that game for us.

NDSUguy
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM

I love walker to death but "it" doesn't get you into an NFL camp. Only tangible things: height, speed, arm strength, etc will get you a look.

There are MANY FBS QBs who have statistically better tangible skills and they won't get a look. I would love to have walker on an NFL roster but thinking for one moment that he'll actually do that is nothing short of a pipe dream.

SirHinn
04-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Mel Kiper wasn't an NFL QB and he sure seems to know the difference.

Herd Mentality
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
If Todd Bouman can get a shot in the NFL... Steve has a chance. I'm sure he'll make good use of any opportunities he gets. That is all.

rutlandbison
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Mel Kiper wasn't an NFL QB and he sure seems to know the difference.

Mel Kiper??? he feeds off what all the NFL teams give him. He looks at there draft boards and gets the scouting reports from the teams.

SirHinn
04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Mel Kiper??? he feeds off what all the NFL teams give him. He looks at there draft boards and gets the scouting reports from the teams.

No he doesnt', he spends thousands of hours watching tape. It wouldn't shock me if Mel has seen tape of Walker from scouting Drago.

WildBill
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Actually,no. Kiper does put in a lot of work. personally,i don't think he's the best anymore(if he ever was) If there is a small school prospect,some team will know about him. Currently,Scout has him ranked 66th out of 109. They project him as an undrafted FA

rutlandbison
04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
No he doesnt', he spends thousands of hours watching tape. It wouldn't shock me if Mel has seen tape of Walker from scouting Drago.

So now your a friend of Mel Kipers?;)

BeckerBison
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM
:nod: Steve was a great FCS quarterback. He has the ability to win games and be a leader. :nod:

But physically cannot compete in the NFL for even a backup job or the practice team.

Scooter1
04-17-2008, 03:41 AM
:nod: Steve was a great FCS quarterback. He has the ability to win games and be a leader. :nod:

But physically cannot compete in the NFL for even a backup job or the practice team.

maybe you are right, however....

Brooks Bollinger 6'1 205
Tavaris Jackson 6'2 232
Seneca Wallace 5'11 205
DJ Stockley 6'0 214
Troy Smith 6'0 225
Eric Meyer 6'1 215
Darrel Huckney 6'0 242
Jeff Otis 6'1 210
Marques Tiasasopo 6'1 220
Jeff Garcia 6'1 205
Rex Grossman 6'1 217
Bruce Gradkowski 6'1 220
Anthony Wright 6'1 211
Broc Berlin 6'1 215
Jerry Babb 6'2 225
Dalton Bell 6'2 206
Jon Kitna 6'2' 220
Drew Olson 6'2 222
JT O'Sullivan 6'2 227
Jake Plummer 6'2 212
Kurt Warner 6'2 222
Tony Romo 6'2 224
Brett Basanez 6'2 210
Jake Delehome 6'2 215
Steve McNaire 6'2 230
JP Loshman 6'2 212
Brady Quinn 6'2 235
Cullen Finnerty 6'2 223
Patrick Ramsey 6'2 225
Charlie Batch 6'2 216
Jared Zabranski 6'2 219
Josh Betts 6'2 217
Kellen Clemmens 6'2 223

lakesbison
04-17-2008, 06:07 AM
and he can DANCE

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=198225&section=news

check him out

rutlandbison
04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
maybe you are right, however....

Brooks Bollinger 6'1 205
Tavaris Jackson 6'2 232
Seneca Wallace 5'11 205
DJ Stockley 6'0 214
Troy Smith 6'0 225
Eric Meyer 6'1 215
Darrel Huckney 6'0 242
Jeff Otis 6'1 210
Marques Tiasasopo 6'1 220
Jeff Garcia 6'1 205
Rex Grossman 6'1 217
Bruce Gradkowski 6'1 220
Anthony Wright 6'1 211
Broc Berlin 6'1 215
Jerry Babb 6'2 225
Dalton Bell 6'2 206
Jon Kitna 6'2' 220
Drew Olson 6'2 222
JT O'Sullivan 6'2 227
Jake Plummer 6'2 212
Kurt Warner 6'2 222
Tony Romo 6'2 224
Brett Basanez 6'2 210
Jake Delehome 6'2 215
Steve McNaire 6'2 230
JP Loshman 6'2 212
Brady Quinn 6'2 235
Cullen Finnerty 6'2 223
Patrick Ramsey 6'2 225
Charlie Batch 6'2 216
Jared Zabranski 6'2 219
Josh Betts 6'2 217
Kellen Clemmens 6'2 223

Nice:nod: :nod:

aces1180
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
and he can DANCE

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=198225&section=news

check him out

Ugh...I felt uncomfortable watching that video.

NDSUstudent
04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
All Walker needs is a chance but that chance isn't going to be easy to get. The guy has all the intangibles in the world and a great head on his shoulders but that isn't something that can be seen in practice, pro days, or 10 second highlights. Walker's greatest attributes are something a scout will never be able to get a true handle on unless they had watched Walker extensively throughout his career. That said, what works against him would work for him if some team actually gives him a chance.

99Bison
04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
FWIW, Many of these guys were "under qualified."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3329687

Bison101
04-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey! These guys were smaller than average, and look what they accomplished!

bisoneer
04-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, I'd say he has about a 45% chance of making a roster somewhere, at least I hope he does and I wish him the best of luck no matter what happens.

Bison101
04-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, I'd say he has about a 45% chance of making a roster somewhere, at least I hope he does and I wish him the best of luck no matter what happens.

That's what the council in the "Fellowship of the Ring" said. But look what happened. The hobbits defeated the mightiest evil doer in Middle Earth.

I believe that Steve Walker will be able to conquer the smoldering volcano of the NFL.

sambini
04-21-2008, 01:20 AM
I hope some one gives him a chance.

UTH
04-21-2008, 01:53 AM
I hope some one gives him a chance.

Time will tell... tic toc, tic toc...:praying:http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Boxingsmilies.gif:praying:http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Boxingsmilies.gif:praying:

Jdubs21
04-21-2008, 03:41 AM
we'll fine out next sunday haha