PDA

View Full Version : Carolyn Dehoff - new head coach

roadwarrior
04-11-2008, 04:09 PM
1:30 pm press conference today

RedRiver
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I wonder if 970 or 740 will have it live?

lakesbison
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
ROAD BEAT ME! *GRR*

I was in a meeting from 9-1130!! ARGH!!

met1990
04-11-2008, 06:26 PM
740 said they're carrying it live

Hammersmith
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
First question from the media:

Hallstrom: "What's the biggest thing you'll need to learn as a head coach?"

DeHoff: <long pause> "Dealing with the media."

<laughter from the assembled hacks>

Seriously, she does need some work on public speaking, but that will come in due time.

Mr_Meanor
04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
First question from the media:

Hallstrom: "What's the biggest thing you'll need to learn as a head coach?"

DeHoff: <long pause> "Dealing with the media."

<laughter from the assembled hacks>

Seriously, she does need some work on public speaking, but that will come in due time.

Just curious why you say this...I think she is doing a great job speaking at the press conference.

Hammersmith
04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
On a side note, you can tell recruiting is her strength. She's uncomfortable talking about most head coaching topics, but she relaxes and speaks fluently when recruiting is the topic.

Hammersmith
04-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Just curious why you say this...I think she is doing a great job speaking at the press conference.
She tends to wander and stumble a bit when speaking. It's not horrible, but you can tell she's not used to dealing with the media in a press conference environment. She's not comfortable in this situation, but that's to be expected. You don't get good at something without practice, and I doubt she's had a huge amount of experience, never being a head coach before. Give her a year and she'll settle in and anticipate questions and have prepared answers. This has nothing to do with any other aspect of her abilities as a head coach.

Bison bison
04-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Give her a year

gladly!

looking forward to good things for the Bison Women's program under Carolyn!

sambini
04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Welcome Carolyn your a BISON NOW+++

DORMIE
04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I was at the press conference. I was really impressed in the person. Very competetive. compasionate and really cares about the student athlete. Obviously she was a little nervous as she had not gone through this before as to the comment about the media that is what she said, because she never had to deal with the media before. She also commented on the large amount or media there. I guess back in Utah they might get 600 for a WBB game but 2,000 for gymnastics. This kind of overwhelmed her. All in all, I think we found a diamond in the rough.

tony
04-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Anybody catch Lynn Dorn's description of the hiring process? I thought that was kind of interesting.

roadwarrior
04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
You can listen to the press conference here:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1437774

Tatanka
04-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Good luck to the new coach!!!! Expecting great things!!!!

BlueKeyAlum
04-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Anybody catch Lynn Dorn's description of the hiring process? I thought that was kind of interesting.

Chapman seems to have figured significantly in this process.

Welcome to Fargo, Carolyn!!

Bet she sets off on the recruiting trail right away.

cabis
04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Hate to be negative but looks like a good career assistant. Didn't we already have one of those in house?

roadwarrior
04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Hate to be negative but looks like a good career assistant. Didn't we already have one of those in house?

Same goes for Craig Bohl before his current job.

roadwarrior
04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Hate to be negative but looks like a good career assistant.

d3boys
04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I htink this is a good hire long term
we will have to wait and see

cabis
04-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Road, you are 100% right, but Craig was a co-ordinator on a National Championship runner up. Then he was the fall guy and was cut loose to the great benifit of the Bison.
It is always an issue to stay internal or go outside for a new coaching position. Last year when we went with Saul, I was a little nervous about his lack of HC experience, but he just seems to project a level of confidence in the program that is contageous.
Listening to Carolyn I just don't get that same level of confidence. To me that is the first level of recruiting. I hope I am 120% wrong in this and the Bison crush the rabbits and the rest of the Summit League.

DIBISON
04-13-2008, 04:25 AM

Carolyn has been well prepared for this job and she has been very successfull at each of her previous positions.

DORMIE
04-13-2008, 03:50 PM
It's obvious, cabis that you were not in the room at the press conference. The theater was basically full with the front packed with 4 TV staions and a couple of radio stations. She was a little nervous as this was probably her first time dealing with the media especially with such a large group and in a new environment with which she wasn't accustomed. As for our assistants, they are either not qualified or can't handle the pressure of a DI head job. Carolyn has been a top assistant in 3 DI programs the past 17 years and comes highly recommended for the position. As for hiring assistants, we do not have one coach on the staff that came in as a head coach.

BlueKeyAlum
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Road, you are 100% right, but Craig was a co-ordinator on a National Championship runner up. Then he was the fall guy and was cut loose to the great benifit of the Bison.
It is always an issue to stay internal or go outside for a new coaching position. Last year when we went with Saul, I was a little nervous about his lack of HC experience, but he just seems to project a level of confidence in the program that is contageous.
Listening to Carolyn I just don't get that same level of confidence. To me that is the first level of recruiting. I hope I am 120% wrong in this and the Bison crush the rabbits and the rest of the Summit League.

Apples and oranges. You can't judge someone's confidence level off a single news conference, made in front of media folks, and in front of people she just met 48 hours ago. And comparing news conference to Saul, who was comfy in the Bison program from 3 years as an Assistant Coach isn't a fair marker either.

NDSU1980
04-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I've never seen anything in the way of personal info on her. Anyone know if she is married? Children?

Overall, I think she is a very capable coach. I sure like what I've seen.

Hammersmith
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
McFeely has a nice column on the NDSU WBB head coaching positon. I tend to agree with his(and DeHoff's) opinion; NDSU is one of the elite mid-major coaching gigs in DI WBB.

No reason for DeHoff to fail (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197751)

For the record, I think DeHoff is going to be a fantastic coach. She knows recruiting inside and out, she's had experience at high level DI schools, she'll have all the support she needs from Joe, Gene and Lynn, and if she ever has a head coaching question, Amy will be just down the hall. I can't think of a better situation.

BlueKeyAlum
04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I'd love to see the program get the fan support back to where it was. Too bad we couldn't pull in Wahlin (Crookston) or Draxten (Fergus Falls). Those communities would travel to see these kids play.

Tennessee and UCONN, two programs that are at the top of the attendance rankings, pull in a lot of blue hairs. I know that the basketball season coincides with snow birds flying south but it would be great to build up that kind of following in Fargo.

d3boys
04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
just win baby

sambini
04-14-2008, 12:44 AM
She will be just fine+++

SlickVic
04-14-2008, 02:57 AM
I'd love to see the program get the fan support back to where it was. Too bad we couldn't pull in Wahlin (Crookston) or Draxten (Fergus Falls). Those communities would travel to see these kids play.

Tennessee and UCONN, two programs that are at the top of the attendance rankings, pull in a lot of blue hairs. I know that the basketball season coincides with snow birds flying south but it would be great to build up that kind of following in Fargo.

whats a blue hair?

lakesbison
04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Its "slang" for ancient people.

BlueBisonRock
04-14-2008, 03:08 AM
whats a blue hair?

From Wikepedia:

A blue rinse is a dilute hair dye used to reduce the yellowed (or translucent, showing scalp colour) appearance of greying hair on older women. The ability to see blue decreases with age, so an older woman perceives her uncolored hair to have a yellow-tinge, and the blue rinse brings the color back to a perceived normal color in their eyes. The blue rinse supposedly makes yellow-white hair appear blue-white, but an inexpertly applied blue rinse will leave a distinctly unnatural tinge behind.

The phrase entered popular culture as a term for elderly women, the blue rinse brigade. An alternative term is "blue hair." It has declined in popularity with the increasing popularity of home dyeing, the reduced prevalence of smoking (which yellows the hair) and with society's more relaxed attitude to aging.

Urban Dictionary definition 3:

An old person, but especially a slick, well-dressed retiree that still thinks that they have it going on.

Visuals:

http://japundit.com/images/bluehair.JPG

http://somecallmeduh.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/blue-hair.jpg

Of course, in my case, its referred to as no hair.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/robwriter6/ps1.jpg

BisBison
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
whats a blue hair?

What's this??? Slick asking for a translation?? THAT has to be a first :confused: Usually I need about 3 reads to make heads or tails out of his posts. :nod:

BlueKeyAlum
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Slick??....What's you tail, nightengale....I figured you'd dig my vibe when I did the jive lay on. Your the ginchiest of all us cats!!

SlickVic
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
dont dawg me im just tryin to expand my vocabulary...i know 50 words of da english language but i got 10 mil in da bank...50 words in the english language- 10 mil in the bank...rep points to anyone who can call me out on that ;)

SDbison
04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
dont dawg me im just tryin to expand my vocabulary...i know 50 words of da english language but i got 10 mil in da bank...50 words in the english language- 10 mil in the bank...rep points to anyone who can call me out on that ;)
I find this definition most amusing because it includes the word slick:
Urban Dictionary definition 3:
An old person, but especially a slick, well-dressed retiree that still thinks that they have it going on.

lakesbison
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Artist: YOUNG BUCK

MONEY IN THE BANK

[Lil Scrappy]
Okay-kay-kay-kayyy, G's up, Lil Scrappy
I got money
BME (BME), money in the bank, G-Unit!

[Chorus - 4X]
I got money in the bank (yea)
shawty what you drank

[Lil Scrappy]
I'ma get that, dough and **** with dem, hoes
Young ladies that know me know Scrappy's a, pro
Fill up at the, bar go get a mas-sage
Find me a couple we can make it a, me-nage
You be tryin, hard but ***** don't, start
You be doin **** is gon' get you to the, morgue
I go get that, paper a mega ****** watch
I be pullin out knots, that can buy me a, yacht
Hold on baby, please, go get on yo', knees
If you don't do it for me then do it for the, cheese (yea)
I got extra weed (yea) money long like sleeves (yea)
If a ***** try to creep, I got extra heat
Got a bank account with a large amount
If a ***** wanna talk, ***** we can let it bounce (bounce)
Take it outside, ***** **** fallin back
Killers run up in the club, ballin with a bigger stack

[Chorus] - 2X

[Young Buck]
Two step with me, let me show you how it goes
The Murcielago, lemme show you how it roll
I got a Bentley that I only drove one time
50 bought it for me shorty but it's still mine
My Chevy clean and the paint look like lemon-lime
You wanna shine, it ain't hard, just get on your grind
We keep a bankroll, wallet full of credit cards
Cup full of Cristal, box full of cigars
Dirty South tatted on my back, I'm country
She said she like the way I talk, these hoes love me
Club goin crazy, we throwin out stacks
G-Unit South yeah, tell the DJ bring it back
See I'm A-Town stompin in a A-Town hat
But I'm reppin Tennessee, like my homey Project Pat
It ain't 'bout where you from homeboy it's where you at
Scrappy beat me on the dice, yeah it's cool I'll be back
Cause I got

[Chorus] - 2X

[Lil Scrappy]
50, got me, Lil Jon, got me
I got a big-*** squad, how you gon' stop me
Y'all ******, watch me, rise to the, top
My **** gon', sell, yo' **** gon', flop
Lil Jon, got me, 50, got me
I got a big-*** family, how you gon' stop me
Y'all ******, watch me, rise to the, top
My **** gon', sell, yo' **** gon', flop

[Chorus] - 2X

lakesbison
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder what CARLOYN or her FRIENDS/FAMILY think when they read the direction of where this thread went.

H I L A R I O U S !!!!

roadwarrior
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Another thread hijacked with nonsense! :banghead:

UTH
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Another thread hijacked with nonsense! :banghead:

... and UTH didn't even have anything to do with it! http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/innocentangelhalosmilies.gif...

In other news, Congratulations and Welcome to Bisonland! Here's to another almost-30-years of coaching excellence!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/HorseDrinkingbeeranimals.jpg

*wondering if it was the blue hair or posting of the song that clinched it...

Bison Dan
04-14-2008, 07:40 PM
... and UTH didn't even have anything to do with it! http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/innocentangelhalosmilies.gif...

In other news, Congratulations and Welcome to Bisonland! Here's to another almost-30-years of coaching excellence!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/HorseDrinkingbeeranimals.jpg

*wondering if it was the blue hair or posting of the song that clinched it...

That looks like Lakes when he's at a kegger with free beer!

UTH
04-15-2008, 01:25 AM
That looks like Lakes, congratulating and drinking to Carolyn's success as the new coach, when he's at a kegger with free beer!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Iwasheresmilies.gif Fixed That For You http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Iwasheresmilies.gif

*previous potential hijackings of this thread already on radar...