PDA

View Full Version : Eric Carlson

RunDMc34
04-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Now I'm not a great basketball mind, like some of you, and I have also never seen a single second of this kid playing, but how much of a difference maker can this kid be.

I see a lot of people clamoring of the Flowers signing which is all great we need some attitude and some banging on this team, but I really felt like we needed another guy to take some pressure off Woody, Winks, and Nelson. I know last year we all thought that was Tveidt but he was ok just not what I expect from the talk I guess.

If we go with a starting lineup of

Woody
Nelson
Winks
Flowers
Moorman

Bench
Carlson
Tviedt
Coleman

At least we have some bench scoring maybe. Is Carlson good enough that he might start. Is he really going to have an impact? I sure hope so I kinda feel he may be the X factor to me dancin with the Bison next year.

d3boys
04-11-2008, 01:54 AM
carlson will be a nice new piece of the puzzle
he will do his job as will the others
win the summit

NDSUstudent
04-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Now I'm not a great basketball mind, like some of you, and I have also never seen a single second of this kid playing, but how much of a difference maker can this kid be.

I see a lot of people clamoring of the Flowers signing which is all great we need some attitude and some banging on this team, but I really felt like we needed another guy to take some pressure off Woody, Winks, and Nelson. I know last year we all thought that was Tveidt but he was ok just not what I expect from the talk I guess.

If we go with a starting lineup of

Woody
Nelson
Winks
Flowers
Moorman

Bench
Carlson
Tviedt
Coleman

At least we have some bench scoring maybe. Is Carlson good enough that he might start. Is he really going to have an impact? I sure hope so I kinda feel he may be the X factor to me dancin with the Bison next year.

Carlson won't start, he'll help but he is a 2 or 3 and as much as I like his potential we are pretty well set at that spot for next year. He will help out on the bench, in fact our bench is looking pretty deep for next season.

99Bison
04-11-2008, 03:48 AM
In the bits that I have seen Carlson is clearly a pure basketball player, in the same vein as Winks, Nelson and woodside. He litterly remined me of winks when he was a redshirt.

By pure I mean he moves, anticipates, attacks and shoots like one. On top of that he is clearly a scorer with multiple ways to score, most similarly like winks when he first arrived.

Carlson as a frosh sure looked better than tviedt in last years pregames. It isn't hard to predict him stepping into being the 4th leading scorer next year. Heck, he would have been that this year.

It may be to early to get set on this idea, but a small lineup of woodside, nelson, carlson, winks and flowers looks like it could really ball.

My prediction is that Carlson will be general public the suprise of the year, with Flowers being solid.

SirHinn
04-11-2008, 04:10 AM
In the bits that I have seen Carlson is clearly a pure basketball player, in the same vein as Winks, Nelson and woodside. He litterly remined me of winks when he was a redshirt.

By pure I mean he moves, anticipates, attacks and shoots like one. On top of that he is clearly a scorer with multiple ways to score, most similarly like winks when he first arrived.

Carlson as a frosh sure looked better than tviedt in last years pregames. It isn't hard to predict him stepping into being the 4th leading scorer next year. Heck, he would have been that this year.

It may be to early to get set on this idea, but a small lineup of woodside, nelson, carlson, winks and flowers looks like it could really ball.

My prediction is that Carlson will be general public the suprise of the year, with Flowers being solid.

Anything that sends Moorman to the bench would make me absolutely ecstatic.

lakesbison
04-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Carlson is a HUGE baller.

very similiar to winks.. ... carlson can drive and dunk. .and he can step back and shot..

very very good at getting to the line,

lead Suburban conference at Shakopee in scoring in high school.. the man can score.. PERIOD>. and we need that.

ThunderDan
04-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Anything that sends Moorman to the bench would make me absolutely ecstatic.

Haha....so true

NDSUstudent
04-11-2008, 04:49 AM

Most of the Summit League teams are small, so the idea works in theory but a lot hinges on how good Flowers really is. With that line-up he wouldn't need to score much but he'd have to be above average on defense and on the boards.

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Carlson seems like an intriguing player with his skill set.

With that being said, I don't see a whole lot of impact out of him as a freshamen.

And yes, that's ok.

Jdubs21
04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Just watching that bball highlight tape...he looks like he could be an electrifying player....as far as moorman he would be so much better if he was stronger and faster, now i know he is a big kid but for his size he really isnt much of a force down low, he gets pushed around and just out hustled because of his speed and strength issues

Herd
04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
My thoughts . . .

Very simlar to Winks, they will split the 3 spot. When Winks sits, no drop off period. Could get more time if Winks plays the 4 a little, depends on Flowers/Tveidt/Riley. I look for 8 -10 point next year and 15-20 for the remainder of his career. He will have a big splash, mark it down.

silkamilkamonico
04-12-2008, 01:25 AM
My thoughts . . .

Very simlar to Winks, they will split the 3 spot. When Winks sits, no drop off period. Could get more time if Winks plays the 4 a little, depends on Flowers/Tveidt/Riley. I look for 8 -10 point next year and 15-20 for the remainder of his career. He will have a big splash, mark it down.

You think a freshmen(RS) is going to come in and have the same impact as a guy like Winkleman? I heard that with Vaughn and Nelson. oops......

I know Carlson will be very good down the road, but good grief.

99Bison
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
You think a freshmen(RS) is going to come in and have the same impact as a guy like Winkleman? I heard that with Vaughn and Nelson. oops......

Wow, ah yea agreed... isn't even in the same realm yet. Do people realize how important winks is to this team? He does so much more than score his pts/game its rediculous.

I am gussing Carlson doesn't bulk up like winks over the years and ends up playing more like a 2/3 vs. 3/4.

Herd
04-12-2008, 03:09 PM
8-10 next year, 15-20 for the rest of his career. His is inside and out, his is great around the basket. He can flat score. Yes, the inside game will continue to improve over the next 4 years in the weight room, but he is at a good level right now, and would have got significant minutes last year. When he red-shirted last year I gulpped (air, for those of you thinking of your next joke), thinking about what he would have given to this team in 2007-08.

He will end up in the top 10 all time scoring list for NDSU. He will have a much bigger impact than the juco guy in 2008. My prediction, you don't have to agree with me.

Mr. Burgundy
04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
It will be fun to have his ability coming off the bench this year. With his added weight this year, and his abilty to score, he will find some minutes. To think he will average 10 points per game is lofty, but he will be a major contributor in the near future for NDSU. Love that we have depth this year on this team.

Flowers and Carlson are TOTALLY different players. This teams needs the Flowers type guy in the worst way. Leaper and defensive guy.

Herd
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM

What did Winks get last year, 19.? ppg. I said that Carlson will get 8-10, but he will be an impact player. When Winks sat last year, big void. Carlson is same height and same position with similar skill set. No big void in 2008.

99Bison
04-12-2008, 10:14 PM
These two comments are what people (like me) are saying is luda...

"Very simlar to Winks, they will split the 3 spot. When Winks sits, no drop off period."

...Carlson is same height and same position with similar skill set. No big void in 2008.

-------------------------------------

These other ones:

"8-10 next year, 15-20 for the rest of his career. His is inside and out, his is great around the basket. He can flat score. Yes, the inside game will continue to improve over the next 4 years in the weight room, but he is at a good level right now, and would have got significant minutes last year. When he red-shirted last year I gulpped (air, for those of you thinking of your next joke), thinking about what he would have given to this team in 2007-08.

He will end up in the top 10 all time scoring list for NDSU. He will have a much bigger impact than the juco guy in 2008. My prediction, you don't have to agree with me."

Don't have much disagreement here.
- Other than he won't be much on an insider scorer yet (and TBD on future bulk).

silkamilkamonico
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
What did Winks get last year, 19.? ppg. I said that Carlson will get 8-10, but he will be an impact player. When Winks sat last year, big void. Carlson is same height and same position with similar skill set. No big void in 2008.

I was responding to this comment....

"When Winks sits, no drop off period."

IMHO, you're either seriously underestimating how good Winks is, or you're seriously overestimating how good Carlson is because of what he did in high school, and "practice".

Like I said before, we heard this exact same stuff about Vaughn too. He comes in and does the unthinkable to some Bison fans, struggles as a freshman(RS), and people all of a sudden turn 180 degrees on him in his first year of playing, and think he's terrible.

I've made this comment before, but because Winks, Nelson, and Woodside came in and played great as freshman(RS), it almost seems like it should be a norm for some Bison fans.

IMHO, Carlson will be great coming off the bench and providing some positive minutes, and anything else will be a bonus next year. If people start thinking Winks/Carlson are interchangeable, it's a great possibility that they will be really let down. If that happens, lets just hope the hate posts don't show up again, for a freshman(RS) of all things.

If fr(rs) Carlson is on the same talent timetable as a sr(rs) Winks, then more power to ya. But then through a 3 year period of growth, I would expect him to be the greatest Bison bball player of all time when all is said and done.

Swat_Team10
04-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I like everything I am hearing about the Carlson kid, But Winks will not be his compitition for minutes it will be Mike Tveidt. Mike was 4th on the team in minutes played! Only averaged 6 pts and 3 rebounds.

Carlson will not even be close to the same player as Winks on the floor next season! Sorry to say there will be "drop off" for the Herd with who ever Saul puts in for Winks during a game. 1st team all summit does not join a seat next to the coaches and everyone is at ease because a redshirt freshman is subbing in!

NDSUstudent
04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
99bison is dead on in saying that Carlson is a sf/sg and not a sf/pf like Winks. They aren't exactly the same player, Carlson will score some inside but I think he'll struggle more against a bigger and more athletic sf. People also need to remember that Winks has gotten better each year, he isn't the same player he was as a RS Freshman. If Carlson is coming in off the bench and we aren't missing a beat at sf, Winks will either have regressed or Carlson will be the best player to ever wear the green and gold. ;)

99Bison
04-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Long Live Carlson and excited to see him play though :-)

I do think he'll be the first choice 6th man by middle of year.