PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf practice field

roadwarrior
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Gene mentioned on the radio this morning that they are looking into putting down a Field Turf practice field. Most likely on the Dacotah Field site.

lakesbison
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
with a bubble attached to the BSA?

imabison
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Gene mentioned on the radio this morning that they are looking into putting down a Field Turf practice field. Most likely on the Dacotah Field site.
On WDAY TV he said they started looking at it last December after there was a storm that would have interupted practice if a playoff run was in place, and the Fargodome was busy.

$ 400,000

bisonmike2
04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

I wish they replace the turf in the Fargodome. Field turf with the logo in the turf and not painted on it. And get the huge Fargodome logo off of there. It should be the NDSU Bison head logo on the 50 with the current logo's in the endzone only sewn in. Put the Fargodome logo (if needed) on the 20's. That or the Gateway logo.

TheBisonator
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM

I thought I heard they were going to put it on one of the practice fields...

Does this mean they'll FINALLY tear down the old abandoned grandstand?? They can make some nice change selling the bricks and chunks of wood benches. I just know there's someone on Bisonville who would purchase a quarter of the entire grandstand if he could...:D

bisonmike2
04-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Does this mean they'll FINALLY tear down the old abandoned grandstand?? They can make some nice change selling the bricks and chunks of wood benches. I just know there's someone on Bisonville who would purchase a quarter of the entire grandstand if he could...:D

I think you just stumbled onto a great fundraising idea! Sell of the bricks of the old Dacotah Field for 10 or 20 bucks. Maybe put some sort of commerative stamp on it. I could make a cool display to house a brick that would look great in my office.

roadwarrior
04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I think you just stumbled onto a great fundraising idea! Sell of the bricks of the old Dacotah Field for 10 or 20 bucks. Maybe put some sort of commerative stamp on it. I could make a cool display to house a brick that would look great in my office.

Gene talked about this idea this morning also. And selling pieces of the old astroturf.

bisonaudit
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM

People go crazy for that stuff. Wacky Yankees fans were trying to steal the bunting on opening day. They and the Mets have doubled security details to try to prevent vandalism. I hope I've still got a seat to go with my ticket come July. :)

Tatanka
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM

THIS is why there's a difference between us and teh university.

There's actually value in the "old abandoned grandstand". The "old abandoned outhouse" on the other hand...:D

bisonmike2
04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
People go crazy for that stuff. Wacky Yankees fans were trying to steal the bunting on opening day. They and the Mets have doubled security details to try to prevent vandalism. I hope I've still got a seat to go with my ticket come July. :)

I would go crazy for that stuff. I would love to have a brick of the old stadium.

mebisonII
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
THIS is why there's a difference between us and teh university.

There's actually value in the "old abandoned grandstand". The "old abandoned outhouse" on the other hand...:D

Come on, like you wouldn't pay a few dollars to help take down that place too? ;)

Tatanka
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Come on, like you wouldn't pay a few dollars to help take down that place too? ;)
Touche!!! +++

Hammersmith
04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like it might really happen and without the immediate demolition of Dacotah Field; just a turf replacement.

NDSU AD Taylor wants to install new artificial turf at Dacotah Field (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197545)

TheBisonator
04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks like it might really happen and without the immediate demolition of Dacotah Field; just a turf replacement.

NDSU AD Taylor wants to install new artificial turf at Dacotah Field (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197545)

Two problems if the field is just being replaced, and not oriented north-south:

1) The westward expansion of the BSA would not happen, because the west edge of the current BSA is only like 30 feet from the current field

2) You can't fit a second Field Turf field in that orientation.

I hope Gene knows about this. I know him personally, if he doesn't know about these issues, I may have to bring them up to him.

roadwarrior
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
When Gene was on the radio yesterday morning talking about this he pointed out that the BSA expansion will take some of the land currently used by the old football field. So I don't think it is as simple as Kolpack made it sound in his article.

TheBisonator
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
When Gene was on the radio yesterday morning talking about this he pointed out that the BSA expansion will take some of the land currently used by the old football field. So I don't think it is as simple as Kolpack made it sound in his article.

Exactly, Road. Here's what the Dacotah/BSA portion of the Athletics Master Plan claled for:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dacotah2.jpg

They would have to demolish the old grandstand if they were going to make one of these fields.

Hammersmith
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Yep, you guys are right. I thought they might be able to squeeze in the BSA expansion and leave Dacotah alone if absolutely necessary, but it doesn't look like that will work. I suppose they could shift the new field west about 10 yards and avoid the future BSA addition if they want a quick and dirty practice field. If Taylor thinks he can put together the $400,000 for new turf but not the $2 million(?) to demolish Dacotah Field and move all the practice fields around, just replacing the turf might be decent option for the short term. In five years or so, the area could be reconfigured again with additional funds.

Here's the BSA plan superimposed over the existing layout.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hammersmith52/BSAComplexExpansion.jpg

TheBisonator
04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
That's a great drawing, Hammersmith. Rep to you!

GradBison
04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Checkout this awesome areal photo from live maps: Link (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=46.898421~-96.799711&style=a&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&encType=1).

The Bison are on the practice field!! You can zoom in more.

Ferd
04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Checkout this awesome areal photo from live maps: Link (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=46.898421~-96.799711&style=a&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&encType=1).

The Bison are on the practice field!! You can zoom in more.

I don't think they took that picture this week. :confused: :)

GradBison
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM

Nope, not this year... still great timing with The Herd on the field though!

TheBisonator
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Nope, not this year... still great timing with The Herd on the field though!

Picture is from last summer, I'm pretty sure.

I like that aerial of Fargo, because it's more up-to-date than the one from Google Maps.

GradBison
04-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Picture is from last summer, I'm pretty sure.

I like that aerial of Fargo, because it's more up-to-date than the one from Google Maps.

Yeah, better resolution too.

Scooter1
04-11-2008, 04:35 AM

Must have been a Thursday in August of last year. I can tell by which cars are at work. I had just moved in late July and my new home has my car in the driveway. My car is never in the driveway on a friday during lake season. Saturday...forget it.

Jdubs21
04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
since lakes is responsible for all our cheers and is pretty much the only reason the bison ever win a game...he should have hook ups to get us some nice new turf right?

sambini
04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I can see it now the Lakes field turf practice fields. Get it done+++

bisonmike2
04-11-2008, 08:38 PM
since lakes is responsible for all our cheers and is pretty much the only reason the bison ever win a game...he should have hook ups to get us some nice new turf right?

His comment in the "Bison to Make Serious National Title Run in '08" was like a gift that keeps on giving. I predict that it's going to be referenced for many years to come.

TransAmBison
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
His comment in the "Bison to Make Serious National Title Run in '08" was like a gift that keeps on giving. I predict that it's going to be referenced for many years to come.
The thing is we won't have to reference it for years to come. He will come up with something even better within a week or two.

Jdubs21
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
so lakes....since u invented the "Lets go bison" chant, whats your new chant gonna be? Defense(clap clap)?

AKBison
04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Instead of blowing 400k on field turf that would need to be eventually moved anyway why don't we spend $400k to take out what is left of the old stands, have them break it into manageable pieces, encourage every bison fan to bring their trucks down to load up the garbage and head to the dump.

Seriously though, 400k is a lot of cash to borrow just to put in something that doesn't fit into your master plan. Hopefully we wait on this and do it right the first time.

Tatanka
04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
so lakes....since u invented the "Lets go bison" chant, whats your new chant gonna be? Defense(clap clap)?
Shhhhh.... He's still working on a prototype for his latest invention. It's a picket fence with a big "D" on it.

DIBISON
04-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Instead of blowing 400k on field turf that would need to be eventually moved anyway why don't we spend $400k to take out what is left of the old stands, have them break it into manageable pieces, encourage every bison fan to bring their trucks down to load up the garbage and head to the dump.

Seriously though, 400k is a lot of cash to borrow just to put in something that doesn't fit into your master plan. Hopefully we wait on this and do it right the first time.

If the turf will help Bison football secure a NC next fall I think it will be a wise investment. What is NDSU going to do the second week of December in the middle of a snow storm and the FargoDome is busy? It is critical that there is a surface available for the Bison to practice on. The field turf can be easily cleaned of snow, whereas that is impossible with the current grass practice fields.

met1990
04-12-2008, 01:32 PM
What is NDSU going to do the second week of December in the middle of a snow storm and the FargoDome is busy?

I think you're forgetting that, according to the ignorant people in Fargo, the Fargodome is only used for NDSU events. Therefore, it should always be open for practice.

sambini
04-12-2008, 02:57 PM
This can also be used by softball,baseball, and soccer as well.

Jdubs21
04-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Shhhhh.... He's still working on a prototype for his latest invention. It's a picket fence with a big "D" on it.

hahaha wow he's amazing, never seen or even heard of that one b4...where on earth does he come up with this stuff? lol

TheBisonator
04-13-2008, 12:38 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/RTBrooke/hijack.gif

PLEASE let's get back on topic!!!

bisonranch
04-13-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm sure someone can tell me why this won't work... Can they put new turf in the dome and use the old dome turf for the practice field?

TheBisonator
04-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I'm sure someone can tell me why this won't work... Can they put new turf in the dome and use the old dome turf for the practice field?

We need an outdoor Field Turf field with a drainage system, because we can't use the Fargodome all the time. Either that, or a new indoor practice facility, but that will cost far out the ass. We have about 10 million saved, but that's for the BSA. And don't forget the $15 million in the new Fargodome arena donations.

bisonranch
04-15-2008, 03:00 AM
We need an outdoor Field Turf field with a drainage system, because we can't use the Fargodome all the time. Either that, or a new indoor practice facility, but that will cost far out the ass. We have about 10 million saved, but that's for the BSA. And don't forget the $15 million in the new Fargodome arena donations.

I meant can they use the current dome turf for the practice field and put the fancy new stuff in the dome?

I'm working on winning the lottery to make it all happen, I'll let you know...

Hammersmith
04-15-2008, 06:58 AM
I meant can they use the current dome turf for the practice field and put the fancy new stuff in the dome?

I'm working on winning the lottery to make it all happen, I'll let you know...
Short answer: no.

Long answer:

At the current time, there are two major types of artificial turf: 2nd generation(carpet type or AstroTurf*) and 3rd generation(infill type or FieldTurf*). For the vast majority of applications, 3rd gen turf is preferred. It costs a little more, but it's safer and is much closer to natural grass in all ways. However, one of it's major drawbacks is that the typical 3rd gen installation is permanent; once it's down, it can't be taken up. That's a big problem in the Fargodome. There is another installation option available, but it would be expensive($750,000-$1,000,000) and would require five to ten times the labor to lay out the turf and take up that it currently takes to roll up/out the current FD turf. A 3rd gen turf will still probably be the next turf installed at the FD, but, due to the extra labor costs, it will have to be on their timetable, not NDSU's. Theoretically, a new 2nd gen rug could be installed in the FD and the current rug could be moved to Dacotah, be that would be the worst of all worlds. The FD would be locked into another bad rug for many years, and the Dacotah practice field would be inferior to the 3rd gen turf in Gene's proposal.

On a side topic, I really can't fault Gene for not demo-ing Dacotah at this time. NDSU just doesn't have the money at its disposal that some of you think. It took a full five years to raise the eight million dollars for the (then)Phase I of the BSA renovation. Right now, the athletic department is staring at $50 million worth of projects, $15 million of it is needed fast, and there's only $10 million in the bank. Every spare dollar of fundraising, save for Team Makers, has got to be earmarked for the FD arena. If the city decides to go ahead with that project, it will need NDSU's share of the money, and it will need it quick. After that, the BSA renovation has got to be the top priority, and that could be up to $25.5 million. Considering the need for those two projects, new turf is a luxury item.

Gene is trying to make the new turf happen for almost no up-front money. By simply shifting the current field over by 10 yards or so, the site prep can probably be done for under $25,000. By paying on an installment plan, the money can come from other sources like guarantee games; saving donor monies for the two arena projects. By going with an off-brand(some competitor of FieldTurf's), Gene might be able to save $100,000-$200,000 on a turf that might be ripped up before it wears out. That's a good option since we don't know if the BSA will be renovated in two years or ten years(probably closer to two than ten) and we don't know when the $1.5 million will be available to demo Dacotah and put down a couple of new practice fields(remember, the demo work has to be paid up-front, not on an installment plan). It's possible that selling chunks of turf, sections of seating, or bricks could generate revenue, but Gene can't count on that. He has to go under the assumption that the sale of those materials would bomb and view any revenue actually collected as a wonderful bonus. With the current proposal, Gene's just making the best out of NDSU's current situation. If that's still not acceptable to some, I suggest they start writing some seven-figure checks to the athletic department.

*AstroTurf and FieldTurf are both the names of specific brands of turf, but they have also come to be synonymous with the type of turf; much like Kleenex, Q-Tips and Xerox all have similar double meanings.

sambini
04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Hammersmith for the insight+++++

Paulie
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
So what is left of the old stadium? When I look at a satelite image it appears the south grandstand has been demoed and a small stand still sits on the north side. Is that correct?

Are there any photos floating around of the stadium in it's hay day?

roadwarrior
04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
The old south stands at Dacotah field were moved to the Ellig Sports complex for track and soccer. They were split into two sections and are on both the east and west sides of the track/soccer field. The old north stands remain as they were before the dome, only they havent had any upkeep. The scoreboard is still there also and the old turf. The goalposts were removed a couple of years ago.

roadwarrior
04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Look at page 6 in the football media guide for a look at a packed house at Dacotah Field.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11862&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1147585

Bisonguy
04-15-2008, 10:09 PM
While I believe that NDSU should have a new-gen turf practice field, I'm starting to question the 'knee-saving' qualities of the surface. A regional DI transitioning school with a fieldturf practice field, which shall not be named, has three DB's out with ACL's so far in spring practice.

bisonranch
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Short answer: no.

Thanks for the wisdom! I figured someone would have the answer.

TheBisonator
04-17-2008, 12:09 AM
I was just talking to Gene Taylor at the MU Gallery a few minutes ago, and we were talking about the practice field. He told me that the demolition of the old grandstand, lights and scoreboard is in the plan, and that there is plans for one field turf field right away, with a 2nd parallel one coming later on. Most likely there will be a dirt pasture alongside the field where the 2nd one would be. (Just my assumption) I told him about selling off parts of the old grandstand for auction to pay for the demolition, and he seemed intrigued by that.

Either way, I think the plan for the field has become clearer.

Hansel
04-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Are there any photos floating around of the stadium in it's hay day?

for the lazy types

56BISON73
04-19-2008, 01:19 AM
for the lazy types

Thanks. Nothing better than outdoor football in the fall!!! PL

sambini
04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks. Nothing better than outdoor football in the fall!!! PL

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++