You guys wanna hear something scary???

I have 3 people on my myspace as friends from NDSU

Shaman, Tyler Roehl and Blincoe, *GULP*

Ill delete Tyler right away!!

I don't get it...

tjbison
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't get it...

Blincoe and Shamen are hurt with knee injuries, WE DON"T NEED ROEHL GOING DOWN. thus meaning 2 of the three myspace friends of Lakes are hurt Roehl being the third!! Get it

GET HIM OFF THERE!!!

onbison09
04-03-2008, 10:15 PM
GET HIM OFF THERE!!!
:praying: I'm sure he'll know it's not personal. It's for the good of the team.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Can't get into the link.

Shamen hurt his knee again? That certainly isn't good.

Hammersmith
04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Apparent meniscus tear according to the article. Hell of a lot better than a torn ACL or MCL.

90BISON
04-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't want to divert too far from the subject at hand, but in the same article he said we had a freshman receiver, Seth Krueger, leave the team to transfer to a DIII school in Wisconsin? No chance of playing, on scholly, not on scholly? Think he said there would be a full story about Seth on Friday.:confused:

Bisonguy
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Don't want to divert too far from the subject at hand, but in the same article he said we had a freshman receiver, Seth Krueger, leave the team to transfer to a DIII school in Wisconsin? No chance of playing, on scholly, not on scholly? Think he said there would be a full story about Seth on Friday.:confused:

I'm guessing the 'more on this story, see tomorrow's Forum' refers to Shamen.

90BISON
04-04-2008, 04:02 AM
I'm guessing the 'more on this story, see tomorrow's Forum' refers to Shamen.

Or both? You may be right though. You aren't Jeff Kolpack are you?????

GradBison
04-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Looks like it's an
<strike>MCL</strike> meniscus tear.. expected to have surgery today.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/196929

Best wishes to Shamen, get well soon!

imabison
04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Or both? You may be right though. You aren't Jeff Kolpack are you?????
I will stand up for Bisonguy and say he is not Jeff Kolpack, but probably takes better pictures :) :)

BlueBisonRock
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I will stand up for Bisonguy and say he is not Jeff Kolpack, but probably takes better pictures :) :)

I will agree and even state there is no probably in this statement. BG does a great job shooting the action and game day fun. I am very greatful that he is willing to share his work with Bisonville.

Cheers BG. Lets let Kolpack earn his rep and not infringe on yours! :bow:

Bisonguy
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM

I'm also taller and have more hair. :hide: :D

Bisonguy
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Looks like it's an MCL.. expected to have surgery today.

Shamen supposedly has a meniscus tear, which is different from a MCL.

Maybe one of the doc/PT types can get us up to speed on the difference......

TheBisonator
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
The Forum article said he'll likely be ready and back for fall camp. Might take a good portion of the summer to heal.

Get well FAST and SOON, Shamen!!!

Hammersmith
04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Shamen supposedly has a meniscus tear, which is different from a MCL.

Maybe one of the doc/PT types can get us up to speed on the difference......
Well, I ain't one of those, but maybe I can hold the fort until one of them shows up.

The meniscus is sort of like a cushion seperating the femur from the tibia. It's located behind the kneecap and sort of wraps around/beside the ACL. Unlike the ligaments(ACL/MCL/PCL/LCL/PTL), it doesn't actually hold the bones of the leg together; so we're not talking about structual damage in Shamen's case. I believe the surgery consists of cleaning up any loose fragments and then just letting it heal. The only thing to keep Shamen off his leg is the pain from the tear(not horribly bad). Exercising the leg probably won't do any additional damage, but it could inflame the wound, extending the time Shamen would have to deal with the pain. Thankfully, we're months from fall camp, so he should have plently of time to let it heal up and still get back into top shape prior to the opener.

This is assuming the damage to the meniscus was relatively minor(Shamen's reaction to the pain would seem to support that). If the damage is more significant(requiring the removal of parts or all of the meniscus), then recovery will be longer and require more PT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_of_meniscus

I really don't know what I'm talking about, so if somebody notices I got something wrong, correct away.

Bison"FANatic"
04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
You have it about right. If it is just a tear in the meniscus they should be able to go in arthroscopically and clean that up. The stability of the knee will still be intact just need to clean it up then rehab it. I fully expect him to be back at 100% in the fall if it is a meniscus.

Most knee injuries are to one or more of the "unhappy triad" (Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) and the medial Meniscus.) Out of those three the meniscus is usually the least serious as your stability of the knee is still intact. Think of the meniscus of a tiny shock absorber in the knee.

Clean it up, let the PT's rehab the crap out of it and he will be on the field come fall!

CarringtonBison
04-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Okay, the doc will give it a shot. The above description of a meniscus is accurate. It serves as a cushion. We don't need it but if gone, can increase the risk for arthritis later in life. The meniscus will not regenerate/heal. A tear can be minor/small which can settle down or is very amenable to repair. A large tear (bucket handle) needs to be removed. Either way, athletes return to normal function.

An MCL tear can be mild (sprain) or severe. Current thought is that even the most significant tear does not need to be repaired, certainly not a grade I or II (mild-moderate). However, in high level athletes, this may not be the case. I'm sure that each case is different.

Hope this clears it up.

silkamilkamonico
04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
OT: from the article in the forum today, it looks like Seth Krueger is going to transfer.

I wonder where Shamen was projected in the depth chart at WR?

56BISON73
04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, I ain't one of those, but maybe I can hold the fort until one of them shows up.

The meniscus is sort of like a cushion seperating the femur from the tibia. It's located behind the kneecap and sort of wraps around/beside the ACL. Unlike the ligaments(ACL/MCL/PCL/LCL/PTL), it doesn't actually hold the bones of the leg together; so we're not talking about structual damage in Shamen's case. I believe the surgery consists of cleaning up any loose fragments and then just letting it heal. The only thing to keep Shamen off his leg is the pain from the tear(not horribly bad). Exercising the leg probably won't do any additional damage, but it could inflame the wound, extending the time Shamen would have to deal with the pain. Thankfully, we're months from fall camp, so he should have plently of time to let it heal up and still get back into top shape prior to the opener.

This is assuming the damage to the meniscus was relatively minor(Shamen's reaction to the pain would seem to support that). If the damage is more significant(requiring the removal of parts or all of the meniscus), then recovery will be longer and require more PT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_of_meniscus

I really don't know what I'm talking about, so if somebody notices I got something wrong, correct away.

There was a time when they would go in and take the torn part out. They can now repair that tear in some instances. All depends on the extent of injury. PL

SDbison
04-04-2008, 08:02 PM
There was a time when they would go in and take the torn part out. They can now repair that tear in some instances. All depends on the extent of injury. PL
I had surgery to repair (actually all they can do is remove) tears in the meniscus 5 years ago. I was back doing circuit class two weeks after the surgery and playing basketball within a month. I am really surprised they make such a big deal about it. The surgery requires only a couple small incisions around the knee that are less than a centimeter long. For a young and smaller guy like Shamen it should be less of an issue. I know my doctor is more worried since high impact exercise tends to do more damage, especialy for bigger guys like me and eventually there is not enough of the meniscus between bones. Knee replacement is then the only option.

Bison101
04-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Looks like it's an MCL.. expected to have surgery today.

Yes, best wishes Mr. Washinton!

Hopefully we see you on the opening kickoff vs. Austin Peay!

BisonNeil
04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I had surgery to repair (actually all they can do is remove) tears in the meniscus 5 years ago. I was back doing circuit class two weeks after the surgery and playing basketball within a month. I am really surprised they make such a big deal about it. The surgery requires only a couple small incisions around the knee that are less than a centimeter long. For a young and smaller guy like Shamen it should be less of an issue. I know my doctor is more worried since high impact exercise tends to do more damage, especialy for bigger guys like me and eventually there is not enough of the meniscus between bones. Knee replacement is then the only option.

Good information, thanks. So now my question is "for bigger guys" like Austin Richards, 6'2" and 325 lbs, his meniscus tear and recovery could be much longer and slower?

All of these knee injuries this spring worries me, but then again, I'm a handwringer :)

Jdubs21
04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
how long is recovery from an MCL tear?

SDbison
04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Good information, thanks. So now my question is "for bigger guys" like Austin Richards, 6'2" and 325 lbs, his meniscus tear and recovery could be much longer and slower?

All of these knee injuries this spring worries me, but then again, I'm a handwringer :)
Actually the recovery for a meniscus related surgery is only as long as it takes for the swelling to go down around the knee. Think of the meniscus as two flat washers that fit between the bones in two places at the knee. It allows the leg to take loads and flex at the knee. Under pressure from exertion, the edges of the meniscus can tear thus allowing the bone to slide and follow the tear. I first noticed I had a problem while pushing off for quick acceleration during hockey. Felt like my lower leg just slipped away. The problem for bigger guys is we flatten and tear the meniscus more due to the load placed on the joint and soon there is not enough to pad the area where the bones come together. I am currently starting to feel the effects. Limited flexibility and some swelling and pain in the knee after playing a high impact sport like basketball. I had to entirely give up running and can now only work out on elliptical machines. I hear they are starting to grow meniscal tissue in lab environments. Hopefully they can get something approved for medical use in the next 5 years. The only other realistic option at this time is knee replacement.

SDbison
04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
how long is recovery from an MCL tear?
I don't know, but I believe it is closer to the time it takes for ACL recovery. Meniscus tears are minor compared to ACL / MCL tears.

Hammersmith
04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Question: Where is all this MCL talk coming from? I've been watching the paper, message boards, and blog, and I haven't seen or heard anything from the Bison players or staff mentioning an MCL tear.

Bisonguy
04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Question: Where is all this MCL talk coming from? I've been watching the paper, message boards, and blog, and I haven't seen or heard anything from the Bison players or staff mentioning an MCL tear.

No clue. I brought this issue up two days ago- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186269&postcount=16

Maybe some assume MCL= Meniscus Cruciate Ligament?

56BISON73
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
No clue. I brought this issue up two days ago- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186269&postcount=16

Maybe some assume MCL= Meniscus Cruciate Ligament?

MCL usually stands for Medial Collaterial Ligament unless they have changed the terminology since I took anatomy.

Bisonguy
04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
MCL usually stands for Medial Collaterial Ligament unless they have changed the terminology since I took anatomy.

Yeah, that's why I had 'Meniscus' in italics.

Somewhere, people are getting the two confused. Shamen has a meniscus injury, but people keep bringing up MCL, which is an entirely different part of the knee.

Jdubs21
04-07-2008, 02:12 AM
my bad...i thought the meniscus was the mcl...either way, how long does it take to repair a meniscus than?????

56BISON73
04-07-2008, 02:38 AM
my bad...i thought the meniscus was the mcl...either way, how long does it take to repair a meniscus than?????

If they remove the portion that is torn the recovery is much shorter than if they repair the tear. Sorry dont have any time lines. PL

Yellow
04-07-2008, 05:25 PM
When I had my meniscus repaired it took me about 6 weeks. With the staff they have at NDSU im sure he will be back up to speed by summer

CarringtonBison
04-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Mine took about six weeks as well (as long as you behave in recovery).

As a side, a MCL strain/tear can take anywhere from 1-8 weeks to heal, based on amount of damage.

The problem with the meniscus is that it is avascular (no blood vessels to it) and will not repair itself. So if we can grow it and "replace it" it would be difficult to get it to take as it would get little nutrients. Currently the meniscus gets nutrients from joint fluid. Hence the remove it or repair small tears.

stevdock
04-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Apparently 4 months for this meniscus

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197287

BisBison
04-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Per the in--forum.com today. 4 month rehab http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197287

BisBison
04-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Per the in--forum.com today. 4 month rehab http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=197287

Oops I'm too slow:hide:

JackJD
04-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Here's a concise, general description of a meniscus tear:

One of the most commonly injured parts of the knee, the meniscus, is a wedge-like rubbery cushion located where the major bones of the leg connect. Meniscal cartilage curves like the letter C at the inside and outside of each knee. A strong stabilizing tissue, the meniscus helps the knee joint carry weight, glide, and turn in many directions. It also keeps your femur (thighbone) and tibia (shinbone) from grinding against each other.

Athletes in contact and noncontact sports may tear the meniscus by twisting the knee, pivoting, cutting, or decelerating. In athletes, meniscal tears often happen in combination with other injuries such as a torn anterior cruciate ligament. People can injure the meniscus without any trauma as the cartilage weakens and wears thin over time, setting the stage for a degenerative tear.

Symptoms
You might experience a "popping" sensation when you tear the meniscus. Most people can still walk on the injured knee and many athletes keep playing with a meniscal tear. When symptoms of inflammation set in, the knee typically feels painful and tight. For several days you will likely experience:

Stiffness and swelling
Tenderness in the joint line
Collection of fluid ("water on the knee")
Catching or locking of your knee
Knee buckling
Without treatment, a fragment of the meniscus may loosen and drift into the joint, causing it to slip, pop, or lock. The knee gets stuck, often at a 45-degree angle, until it is manually moved or otherwise manipulated. If you think you have a meniscal tear, see your doctor right away for diagnosis and individualized treatment.

Source: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00358

Sometimes it's worth repairing a meniscus tear but the recovery is relatively long (e.g. the four months being discussed on this thread). In other cases, it may be appropriate to snip out the torn portion with relatively quick scope surgery. Often, having one's knee "scoped" to remove a portion of the meniscus requires a recovery of only days. Example: I tore the meniscus in one knee (sheesh! squatting down to change oil on snowblower!...knee popped...so I went up and down trying to figure out what that popping noise was...could hardly walk the next day...don't do squats if you're over age 40!) and after putting up with the pain for about five months, I had my knee scoped and four days later I rode my bike out to and around a local lake (rode hard, not a leisurely ride), a total of about 20+ miles. A friend of mine had his knee scoped and was downhill skiing a week later.

lakesbison
04-08-2008, 03:41 AM
WHO CARES WhAT YOU'ALL CALL IT...

HE;S OUT TIL AUGUST and WILL BE BACK.

ENOUGH TALK BOUT MCL's..

SHAMAN... you da man!

Tatanka
04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/punkette151617/Caps.png

:D