PDA

View Full Version : Hockey, Title IX and fully funded sports...

AKBison
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been on the fence with Hockey at NDSU and kind of go back and forth on the issue. The thing that most gets me excited about Hockey is that we can realistically win a national championship in Womens or Mens Hockey. What other sports at NDSU could realistically do that besides Football? Its possible that we could have individual national champs in Wrestling or Track and Field, but that is it. With all that said, I would not want Hockey at the expense of any other current sport we offer. Does anyone know how many scholarships NDSU currently offers in the following sports...

Baseball (11.7) ( )
MBasketball (13) (13)
Wbasketball (15) (15) <----This may drop to 13 very soon
Wrestling (9.9) ( )
Mens CC (12.69) ( )
Womens CC (18) ( )
Mens Track (12.69) ( )
Womens Track (18) ( )
W Soccer (12) ( )
M Golf (4.5) (0)
W Golf (6) ( )
Volleyball (12) ( )
Softball (12) ( )
Football (63) (63)
W Tennis (8) (0) <----We are the only school in the Summit that does not sponsor this sport.

My whole point is that once we get our schollies were they need to be and get our facilities up to par we should look to add Hockey. NDSU is about winning National Championships, Hopefully we can continue that in DI. Sweet sixteen runs are awesome and worth 10 national titles as far as publicity for the University goes, but there is something special about being a national champ.

roadwarrior
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh good, another hockey thread:hide:

roadwarrior
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Mens basketball 13
Womens basketball 15
Mens golf 0

Those are the only three I am pretty confident about.

You forgot football and softball from your list.

TransAmBison
04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sambini
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++

AKBison
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Mens basketball 13
Womens basketball 15
Mens golf 0

Those are the only three I am pretty confident about.

You forgot football and softball from your list.

Thanks for those numbers, I added Softball and Football to the list. Does anyone else know how many schollies we are offering right nowin the rest of the sports?

I know some people hate the Hockey debate, but what other sports could we add or build up enough to actually win a National Championship in? Not to mention mens Hockey is one of the few revenue sports in the NCAA.

Bisonguy
04-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd rather see lacrosse than hockey. Too much expense involved in hockey, including yet another facility that NDSU does not have (and an arena on the opposite end of town is not realistic). .

Hammersmith
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I can't back any of this up, but I've heard 4 for baseball and I think volleyball and soccer are at the max, or very close to it. Really guessing now, but I'd bet softball and WT&F/CC are 67+% funded. Don't hold me to it, though.

lakesbison
04-02-2008, 05:43 AM
oh yea. we'd win a hockey title with

DEAN BLAIS and the U P C!!!!

lets do it!

westriver bison
04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for those numbers, I added Softball and Football to the list. Does anyone else know how many schollies we are offering right nowin the rest of the sports?

I know some people hate the Hockey debate, but what other sports could we add or build up enough to actually win a National Championship in? Not to mention mens Hockey is one of the few revenue sports in the NCAA.

Equestrian probably is our best bet

cabis
04-02-2008, 04:20 PM
The limit for soccer was raised from 12 to 14 either last year or the year before. I don't think we were quite up to 12 yet but not sure. With this year's large class of ten freshmen we will be getting close to fully funded.

bisonaudit
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Equestrian probably is our best bet

Who gets the scholarship the horse or the rider? :)

Ferd
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Who gets the scholarship the horse or the rider? :)

The horse. The other is just along for the ride.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

:hide: :hide: :hide:

sambini
04-03-2008, 03:00 AM
fULL RIDE CONSIST OF OATS ETC...

westriver bison
04-03-2008, 04:22 AM
fULL RIDE CONSIST OF OATS ETC...

You are partially right!! Most of the time the girls get partial scholarships. If the girls provide their own horse some of those expenses are picked up also.

UTH
04-03-2008, 04:34 AM
You are partially right!! Most of the time the girls get partial scholarships. If the girls provide their own horse some of those expenses are picked up also.

Goatball. For the ladies. Drop hockey. Make this the priority for expansion. Let's do this. What do you say, Lakes???

lakesbison
04-03-2008, 04:50 AM
goatball??

maybe girls strip football would be better than that.

ANYWAYS>.............

I had a meeting with the ND HORSE PARK... I brought up NDSU Equestrian, they told me NDSU already owns 17 acres of the ND HORSE PARK and has Barns there already.

So NDSU Equestrian would EASILY be made available!!!! LETS PLAY HOCKEY!!

TransAmBison
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
maybe girls strip football would be better than that.

I think you might be on to something. Tell me more about this girls strip football. I could see a stadium being erected for this...with retractable roof...for those cold days.;)

westriver bison
04-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I think you might be on to something. Tell me more about this girls strip football. I could see a stadium being erected for this...with retractable roof...for those cold days.;)

Girls strip football? The stadium would erect itself, especially for all the fans that crawl out of their mothers basement to attend.

Ferd
06-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Girls strip football? The stadium would erect itself, especially for all the fans that crawl out of their mothers basement to attend.

What's all this talk about stadium erections? Did I miss something ;)

DORMIE
07-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Billy Iverson ( M. golf) is excited, he now has 1 full ride. Women must have 5 or 6. As far as hockey, get your head out of your ass. Why sacrafice the whole program for one that is basically a northern tier sport. Where are you going to make enough $$$ even after the 40 scholarships (20 each) unless you waive the women's, because you're going to lose $750,000 with women's hockey.

d3boys
07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Billy Iverson ( M. golf) is excited, he now has 1 full ride. Women must have 5 or 6. As far as hockey, get your head out of your ass. Why sacrafice the whole program for one that is basically a northern tier sport. Where are you going to make enough $$$ even after the 40 scholarships (20 each) unless you waive the women's, because you're going to lose $750,000 with women's hockey.

easy dormie there is more to life than golf

Bison Dan
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Your right on Dormie !

DORMIE
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I was talking to Saul Phillips the other day and he mentioned that he felt that the UND Women's Hockey budget was higher that his, but that he made money. It's obvious that the W. Hockey program is a huge burden for UND. It could really hurt their DI move.

Bison Dan
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I was talking to Saul Phillips the other day and he mentioned that he felt that the UND Women's Hockey budget was higher that his, but that he made money. It's obvious that the W. Hockey program is a huge burden for UND. It could really hurt their DI move.

For sure it's higher - Women's hockey is what keep NDSU from looking harder at hockey years ago. Women's hockey is like a anchor around the neck of any athletic dept.

BisoninNWMN
08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
...anchor...you bet....and then average only 100-200 fans!!:confused: I bet women's hockey is the biggest money loser in the NCAA

Tatanka
08-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Good thing that the good taxpayers of ND are footing the bill, unless I missed something and und isn't using tuition waivers to fund their chick hockey schollies anymore. :banghead: