PDA

View Full Version : Give the Girls a home...

AKBison
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
NDSU Softball is something that has had a lot of success in the transition to DI. I know that a new Softball facility is on the burner but I am not sure where it currently stands at. Once the facility gets built, is there a chance that we could "bubble it" ala SCSU during the winter months and the first few months of Softball season so the girls could have a real home for Softball? Once the weather was nice enough to play outside, just deflate the bubbble and play on the same field. In all inclusive Softball stadium with a hometeam clubhouse and pressbox could really put the program over the top. And no, playing Softball in the Fargodome is bushleague at best, it is not a long term solution.

roadwarrior
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I am not familiar with the plans for the softball facility other than it will house locker rooms, pressbox, seating, and concessions. I'm not sure whether a big enough bubble would work. Its mother nature that is the culprit this spring, not the lack of a suitable facility. While dome ball might be bush league, it was much better than I had expected when I saw it in February.

Hammersmith
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
NDSU requested, and received, permission from the legislature to spend $4.5 million dollars of private money on the softball complex(they bumped the BSA project from $16M to $25.5M in the same bill). That permission remains valid through 2013(the 2007-09 biennium, plus two more). However, that permission was sought well in advance of any planned fundraising for the project and before the Dome Authority approached NDSU with the arena idea.

My pet idea, and a pretty unrealistic one at that, would be to build a permanent structure over two fb practice fields on the current Dacotah Field. One would be marked just for fb, and the other would have fb and soccer markings as well as a removeable section so a baseball/softball infield could be inserted for practices and the occasional game when weather is poor. It would be a little extravagant, but it wouldn't need to be much more than a pretty shell with the BSA's facilities right next door. Of course, I may need to win the lottery first...

Outatowner
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Many cold/wet weather universities manage to get games on their fields as they have drainage and facility crews to manage bad weather. The softball facilities are inadequate which makes it difficult to get good schools and players to come play. If you are DI, be DI. Build/improve the facility to live up to the program's success.

1bizon1
04-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Many cold/wet weather universities manage to get games on their fields as they have drainage and facility crews to manage bad weather. The softball facilities are inadequate which makes it difficult to get good schools and players to come play. If you are DI, be DI. Build/improve the facility to live up to the program's success.

I'm sure this will be taken care of soon. It is difficult to trade in all the Chevy's and buy Cadillacs all in one year. For any university. We all (including you outsider) need to help out with this. Talk doesn't build fields like you (many of us) would like to see on campus. Just my 2 cents also....

p.s. So that I do not get accused of just talk, I will be at the spring game with my checkbook giving what we can to help projects such as this.

Outatowner
04-08-2008, 08:49 PM
The journey from DII to DI began several years ago. Being an "out of towner" does not mean I am an "outsider" or even out-of-touch. A large amount of my $$$ have already landed in Fargo in support of the Bison. This is one of the best performing sports on campus.