PDA

View Full Version : Spring Volleyball

Blue
04-01-2008, 04:50 PM
The Bison travel down to Brookings to take part in a 6 team tourney on Saturday for anyone interested.

Greenie
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Bison won all their exhibition matches last weekend in Fargo

Other teams included SDSU, South Dakota, and NDSU alumni

onbison09
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
How do we look for next year?

pancake83
04-02-2008, 12:07 AM
onbison09 ~ Plano West - quite the volleyball team for the Wolfpack this past year - Cal will definitely benefit from Hawari next year!

The Bison should do well next year, with a year of experience under the belt of 6 freshman returning - they're a little thin in the middle - but two middles coming in for '08 - Knuth is playing on M1 (one of the top 2 club teams in the Twin Cities), and starting in the middle, I heard she did very well at one of the major Junior qualifiers last month, so she will probably start in the middle, but there is still a question mark for the other spot.

Replacing Stuewe ('07 POY in Summit, which is a tremendous accomplishment to her and the coaching staff, considering where she was at when she came in to the program - kudos) will be especially huge, as well as Fagnan - all time leader in Digs, Digs per game, etc - all world rewrote the record books, they will both be missed.

That being said - you could expect Vandenberg a lock for OH, Hille as well, possibly at libero - or Perez - I could see Kelly Lopez on the right subbing for Johnson, with Jennifer hitting and setting in a 6-2, with Knuth in the middle, and the other middle being ??? That would be the combination to see - Lopez to Lopez for the next two years...okay, that's my $.02

onbison09
04-02-2008, 11:20 PM
onbison09 ~ Plano West - quite the volleyball team for the Wolfpack this past year - Cal will definitely benefit from Hawari next year!

The Bison should do well next year, with a year of experience under the belt of 6 freshman returning - they're a little thin in the middle - but two middles coming in for '08 - Knuth is playing on M1 (one of the top 2 club teams in the Twin Cities), and starting in the middle, I heard she did very well at one of the major Junior qualifiers last month, so she will probably start in the middle, but there is still a question mark for the other spot.

Replacing Stuewe ('07 POY in Summit, which is a tremendous accomplishment to her and the coaching staff, considering where she was at when she came in to the program - kudos) will be especially huge, as well as Fagnan - all time leader in Digs, Digs per game, etc - all world rewrote the record books, they will both be missed.

That being said - you could expect Vandenberg a lock for OH, Hille as well, possibly at libero - or Perez - I could see Kelly Lopez on the right subbing for Johnson, with Jennifer hitting and setting in a 6-2, with Knuth in the middle, and the other middle being ??? That would be the combination to see - Lopez to Lopez for the next two years...okay, that's my $.02
Impressed!! We made state and one a set from a team that went undefeated. Thanks for the info!

Blue
04-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Just finished up here in Brookings. Bison went 1-2 today. USD dominated the Bison, and the SDSU Alumni team won 2-1, the Bison beat the Jacks 2-0.

Lopez was walking around in a boot.

silkamilkamonico
04-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Just finished up here in Brookings. Bison went 1-2 today. USD dominated the Bison, and the SDSU Alumni team won 2-1, the Bison beat the Jacks 2-0.

Lopez was walking around in a boot.

Lopez hurt her foot a couple months ago. NDSU desperately need some MH's. With the incoming recruits it should be a very young and inexperienced NDSU team this year, but Coach Hinterstocker will have them playing well together in no time.

Blue
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Lopez hurt her foot a couple months ago. NDSU desperately need some MH's. With the incoming recruits it should be a very young and inexperienced NDSU team this year, but Coach Hinterstocker will have them playing well together in no time.
Judging by what I saw today and talking to Coach Hinterstocker, I think NDSU will be one of the top four teams by the end of the year. We might be facing a major rebuilding year in my opinion after watching some of the action today.

silkamilkamonico
04-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Judging by what I saw today and talking to Coach Hinterstocker, I think NDSU will be one of the top four teams by the end of the year. We might be facing a major rebuilding year in my opinion after watching some of the action today.

I've watched him teach a few times in practice and have attended his coaching clinics.

Dudes volleyball knowledge is completely off the charts, even as an exaggeration. Or more specifically, the tools he uses to teach his athletes.

It's funny to listen to him talk about teaching tools and drill specifics to high school coaches because it goes completely over most of our heads most of the time.

I really don't see him being at NDSU for a length of time, but who knows.

sambini
04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
How much of there spring schedule is left?

mjh
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
How did USD dominate us? they're just starting and we been in this thing for 5 years. Doesn;t sound good to me.

Greenie
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
How did USD dominate us? they're just starting and we been in this thing for 5 years. Doesn;t sound good to me.

NDSU beat USD a week earlier in Fargo. Don't get too worked up, they are exhibition games after all.

lakesbison
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
And Remember..... There Was No Lopez Girls!!

When They Get Back, Big Big Difference!

silkamilkamonico
04-07-2008, 07:51 PM

NDSU is going through their spring schedule with 2 walkon Middles, which makes a huge difference.

When they get an established lineup this spring to work with and progress, they will be fine.

volley11
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
NDSU beat USD a week earlier in Fargo. Don't get too worked up, they are exhibition games after all.

NDSU did not play USD a week earlier in fargo.

Greenie
04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
One of the players told me they played in Fargo. Maybe I misunderstood her.

volley11
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
One of the players told me they played in Fargo. Maybe I misunderstood her.

USD was at the spring tournament in Fargo. NDSU played everyone but USD.

Herd
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow, SDSU actually invited USD to town. Even if it was an unsanctioned, off-season, exhibition, pick-up game. This wouldn't have gotten by Chapman/Taylor . . . no sir.

Sorry . . . off topic!

Blue
04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
The Gopher Volleyball team will host their annual spring tournament on Sunday, April 20, 2008 in the Sports Pavilion. The schedule is as follows:

8:30-9:50 Marquette vs. Minnesota
10-11:20 Iowa State vs. NDSU
11:30-12:50 Marquette vs. Iowa State
12:50-1:20 Break
1:40-3 Minnesota vs. NDSU
3:10-4:30 Marquette vs. NDSU
4:40-6 Minnesota vs. Iowa State

pancake83
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Blue - you might be a little more blue with this news.... I'm sure you know about your (former) asst. coach, Phil McDaniel leaving to be the new head coach at Drake - but now Andrew Palileo will be named the new head coach at Washington State (USD's head coach, Brian Lamppa will join him as an assistant).

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080415/SPORTS/80414044/1052/OPINION01

This is a HUGE blow for SDSU - he's a great coach, an excellent trainer and recruiter. Who will fill those positions - the (coaching) cupboard is bare with their GA leaving during the season as well. You really can't blame the guy - he's been there for seven years, he took his team to the Summit league championship and the NCAA's - what a jump for him PAC 10!! Good luck to him.

As for playing USD or UND - the Summit League won't let teams in their conference play schools that are in 'transition' to Div. 1. This rules out either SDSU or NDSU from playing them next year as it is. They will schedule them soon enough, and I could see volleyball doing it before the other sports - but that's just a guess.

Blue
04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
As for playing USD or UND - the Summit League won't let teams in their conference play schools that are in 'transition' to Div. 1. This rules out either SDSU or NDSU from playing them next year as it is. They will schedule them soon enough, and I could see volleyball doing it before the other sports - but that's just a guess.
USD is scheduled to appear here next fall with Xavier, NDSU, UTPA, and us for our Jackrabbit Invitational Sept. 12-13

pancake83
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
USD is scheduled to appear here next fall with Xavier, NDSU, UTPA, and us for our Jackrabbit Invitational Sept. 12-13

Well if that's true - SDSU and/or NDSU aren't playing South Dakota because of the Summit League rules. They could be just playing Xavier and UTPan Am.