PDA

View Full Version : Solberg and McCleary at NHSCA Meet!

tony
03-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Kriss McCleary won his second-round match at the National High School Coaches Association National Wrestling meet. He got a first-round bye and then beat Greg Moulton, the third place finisher at the Texas State Wrestling Meet this year by a score of 3-1. His next round match is against Dominic Demarco who took 6th in this year's CA state championships.

Justin Solberg won his first and second round matches both by the score of 6-2. Justin's first round was win was against a New Mexico state champ, Jordan Espinosa (I checked his record and in the state meet he pinned all his opponents but one - and that match wasn't that close either, 9-1). His second round opponent was Gabe Ramos from New Jersey who placed 7th place in his state meet.

I also saw that Mike Maresh's brother Sam pinned his second-round opponent.

DIBISON
03-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Kriss McLeary won his second-round match at the National High School Coaches Association National Wrestling meet. He got a first-round bye and then beat Greg Moulton, the third place finisher at the Texas State Wrestling Meet this year by a score of 3-1. His next round match is against Dominic Demarco who took 6th in this year's CA state championships.

Justin Solberg won his first and second round matches both by the score of 6-2. Justin's first round was win was against a New Mexico state champ, Jordan Espinosa (I checked his record and in the state meet he pinned all his opponents but one - and that match wasn't that close either, 9-1). His second round opponent was Gabe Ramos from New Jersey who placed 7th place in his state meet.

I also saw that Mike Maresh's brother Sam pinned his second-round opponent.

Good job future Bison!!

onbison09
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Is this tourney this week?

CarringtonBison
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Solberg lost in the semifinals and McCleary lost in the quarterfinals this am

tony
03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
http://teamchamps.pawrsl.com/NHSCA/2008_Seniors.pdf

Yeah, Justin S. beat the Kansas state champ in the quarterfinal and then lost in the semis (2-1).

Kriss M. beat the CA wrestler and then lost in OT to the Virginia state champ.

Bah! It'd have been great to see them both in the finals. Time to put the hurt on somebody in the consolation bracket.

Sam Maresh has pinned everybody he's faced to make it to the finals. DANG! I'd have loved to see him in the Green and Gold!

CarringtonBison
03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Tyler Johnson, 152 from Bismarck, is in the National finals. Don't know what his post grad plans are. BraxT, do you remember?? Would be great to see him in green/gold.

sambini
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info on these future Bison. They will be great assets to the Bison program. Great job guys+++++++++++

CarringtonBison
03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Solberg ends up getting third-pinning his opponent. McCleary did not place. He lost his match that would have given him all american status. Sam Maresh ended up taking third place as well. Tyler Johnson has not wrestled for the title yet.

As a "team" ND is in 16th place as listed in the program before the finals matches.

onbison09
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Solberg ends up getting third-pinning his opponent. McCleary did not place. He lost his match that would have given him all american status. Sam Maresh ended up taking third place as well. Tyler Johnson has not wrestled for the title yet.

As a "team" ND is in 16th place as listed in the program before the finals matches.
Not bad!! Is this the senior national meet or what?

CarringtonBison
03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Yes it is the senior national meet

BraxtonT
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Tyler Johnson, 152 from Bismarck, is in the National finals. Don't know what his post grad plans are. BraxT, do you remember?? Would be great to see him in green/gold.

Just got an email from a close friend of the Johnson family. Pretty much sums up your question: (I took some parts out that were too personal.)

"Just wanted to let you guys know that Shannon's oldest boy Tyler took 2nd in the nation at 152 pounds in Virginia Beach. He lost in the finals 6-5 to some kid from Georgia. For those that don't know, Tyler is cool and a 4.0 student for one thing and just an outstanding young man. He is undecided as far as college but he was a 2 time all state DB for Bismarck High in football, a 3 time state wrestling champ and he's been playing legion ball in Bismarck since his 10th grade year. With his performance in this tournament he will no doubt get offers from some D1 schools to wrestle and the funny thing is, he's not 100% sure that this is the sport he is going to choose for college.

The brackets for this tournament can be found at www.theguillotine.com."

--------------------------------
I can attest based on limited interactions with Tyler that he is indeed a great kid. I hope Bucky can find a way to recruit him, too. North Dakota actually has a few top-notch kids graduating this year. We've got two of them to commit, but a third would be icing on the recruiting cake.

Good luck to Tyler in whatever he decides to do.