PDA

View Full Version : Gopher spring training

bisonmike2
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/17002101.html

Article in the Strib out Weber and the Gopher spring training. I only post it b/c I found this quote interresting. It's Weber's response to the Illinois game.

"That was the one game all year when I felt as though we were totally outplayed. Juice Williams was great that night."

I'm pretty sure they were totally outplayed in a several of their games last year. One against a certain team from North Dakota comes to mind.

imabison
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/17002101.html

Article in the Strib out Weber and the Gopher spring training. I only post it b/c I found this quote interresting. It's Weber's response to the Illinois game.

"That was the one game all year when I felt as though we were totally outplayed. Juice Williams was great that night."

I'm pretty sure they were totally outplayed in a several of their games last year. One against a certain team from North Dakota comes to mind.
Do you think for any moment that the Gophers are going to admit being outplayed by NDSU?

Not going to happen.

mebisonII
03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Do you think for any moment that the Gophers are going to admit being outplayed by NDSU?

Not going to happen.

heh, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was an electrical error that the scoreboard showed more points for NDSU at the end of the game. And more yards. And a tighter defense.

WildBill
03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
and still only won by 6. Illinois dominated in every facet of the game. Illinois's win was far more electric and impressive . Not a slight at all,but Williams and Mendenhall were impressive

tony
03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Having somebody run for 400 yards on you is being dominated - there is no way around that.

DIBISON
03-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Having somebody run for 400 yards on you is being dominated - there is no way around that.

No doubt that anyone who watched the game would agree that the Bison did dominate.

BlueBisonRock
03-29-2008, 06:21 AM
There is no doubt that the Bison did dominate that game. Unfortunately, the Bison did not deliver a knockout blow in the third or early fourth quarter. The Gophers were down by 6 and really believed that they could pull the game out until the Gophers botched the punt block. Leaving the Gophers in the game provided the wiggle room for the Gophers to claim that it was a close and winable game.

Herd
03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Two bad FG misses by the Bison and another chip shot FG for 3 that should have been six kept the gophers in the game from a scoreboard standpoint. On the field they got their asses kicked, that fact cannot be disputed. The gopher offense was pathetic and without spark (save 1st drive). The bison dominated the game and that has to be a major frustration for gopher fans. Just look at the stats and watch the game, it is very clear.

A score of 37-21 or 34-21 should have been the outcome for the bison, but field goal execution was terrible as stated before.

WildBill
03-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Two bad FG misses by the Bison and another chip shot FG for 3 that should have been six kept the gophers in the game from a scoreboard standpoint. On the field they got their asses kicked, that fact cannot be disputed. The gopher offense was pathetic and without spark (save 1st drive). The bison dominated the game and that has to be a major frustration for gopher fans. Just look at the stats and watch the game, it is very clear.

A score of 37-21 or 34-21 should have been the outcome for the bison, but field goal execution was terrible as stated before.

Thats why most Gopher fans don't view that as domination. The Illinois game stands out because they were dominant in all areas,including the final score.

DIBISON
03-30-2008, 05:09 AM
The Bison did dominate and won the game.

To do that against a Big Ten FBS football team will be remembered as one of the greatest Bison victories ever!!

sambini
03-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Well I don't think Brewster will make any mention of the Bison.

SirHinn
03-31-2008, 05:26 AM
No doubt that anyone who watched the game would agree that the Bison did dominate.

The problem though is you can dominate teams as much as you want, the only thing that matters is the final score. Had the Bison lost, no one outside of the people from Fargo would have remembered or cared the stats.

SlickVic
03-31-2008, 06:20 AM

+++++++++++ my nomination for post of the day...rep to you tony

RedRiver
04-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I expect that everything will gradually improve in Gopherland. Just read the Scout.com magazine and they had the Gophers ranked 26th overall for this year's football recruiting class. Glad the Bison got the victory this past fall.

DIBISON
04-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Even thought the Gopher's recruiting class ranked that high nationally, I think they were only 3rd or 4th in the Big Ten.

sambini
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
They can rank the class wherever they want. But Brewster still got to coach them up. That will be interesting to see how he and his staff do.

WildBill
04-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Even thought the Gopher's recruiting class ranked that high nationally, I think they were only 3rd or 4th in the Big Ten.

Behind 2 national powers(Tosu,Michigan) for a 1-11 team,with Tosu getting the best recruit in the nation.

TransAmBison
04-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Behind 2 national powers(Tosu,Michigan) for a 1-11 team,with Tosu getting the best recruit in the nation.
Yeah, they should be proud of their recruiting class. Now to do something with them, that will be the real test.

SirHinn
04-07-2008, 02:18 AM

Well considering that the 2 teams who had better classes were Ohio St and Michigan and both of which had top 10 classes in the country, I would say having the 3rd best class in the big 10 can be no way construed as a bad thing.

WildBill
04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, they should be proud of their recruiting class. Now to do something with them, that will be the real test.

Thank you,Mr Obvious

Mr. Burgundy
04-08-2008, 12:29 AM
If they continue to get the 3rd best class in the Big 10, they will be a National Power. The two schools ahead of them are serious recruiting powers.

TransAmBison
04-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you,Mr Obvious
Wow, I throw out a little compliment to the gophers and the troll comes out of the woodwork.

sambini
04-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Is There Spring Game Next Weekend The 19th?

Herd
04-12-2008, 03:52 PM
It's great to have Tim Brewster back on the radio with regularity this spring talking about how great his preparation methods are and how great of a recruiter he is. It is great to know that he has no concern about his preparation, only elation at how great his preparation is.

After one season, he has to be the greatest coach in Minnesota history, bar none . . . all sports. (that is my comment, not Brewsters, but I'm sure he would concur)

If all this garbage came out of Craig Bohl's mouth, I'd have a real problem with it. Who does Brewster think he is? He must not be from around here . . . he has zero humility or modesty. I want to root for the gophers as a MN'sotan, but I'm having a real hard time doing so. It's time for the guy to put up or shut up. Even the defenders of the guy have to questions some of the stupid stuff that comes out of his mouth.

SlickVic
04-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Who does Brewster think he is? He must not be from around here . . . he has zero humility or modesty. I want to root for the gophers as a MN'sotan, but I'm having a real hard time doing so. It's time for the guy to put up or shut up. Even the defenders of the guy have to questions some of the stupid stuff that comes out of his mouth.

exactly...who does he think he is? calling lloyed carr out like that last year at big ten media day...he said something along the the lines of "no offense lloyed but the jug belongs to us" i mean wtf...even an average c football fan would concur michigan was a top 5 football team talent wise last year

WildBill
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
It's great to have Tim Brewster back on the radio with regularity this spring talking about how great his preparation methods are and how great of a recruiter he is. It is great to know that he has no concern about his preparation, only elation at how great his preparation is.

After one season, he has to be the greatest coach in Minnesota history, bar none . . . all sports. (that is my comment, not Brewsters, but I'm sure he would concur)

If all this garbage came out of Craig Bohl's mouth, I'd have a real problem with it. Who does Brewster think he is? He must not be from around here . . . he has zero humility or modesty. I want to root for the gophers as a MN'sotan, but I'm having a real hard time doing so. It's time for the guy to put up or shut up. Even the defenders of the guy have to questions some of the stupid stuff that comes out of his mouth.

Confidence is a great thing. If you don't show confidence as a coach,especially with young kids.you're done before you even start. Give it a rest,his 2nd year hasn't even started yet

WildBill
04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
exactly...who does he think he is? calling lloyed carr out like that last year at big ten media day...he said something along the the lines of "no offense lloyed but the jug belongs to us" i mean wtf...even an average c football fan would concur michigan was a top 5 football team talent wise last year

The call out of Lloyd Carr was very tongue in cheek.

Herd
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Confidence is a great thing. If you don't show confidence as a coach,especially with young kids.you're done before you even start. Give it a rest,his 2nd year hasn't even started yet

Way beyond confidence, way beyond. He has a high level of arrogance. Confident people do not go around telling others that they are confident. They exude confidence and you see it in their face. He comes off a arrogant, plain and simple. If he has some success, then I guess it will be OK.

Don't tell me how I should think either, you have your opinion of the guy, and I have mine. You may think that I am not a gopher supporter, but I am.

WildBill
04-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Way beyond confidence, way beyond. He has a high level of arrogance. Confident people do not go around telling others that they are confident. They exude confidence and you see it in their face. He comes off a arrogant, plain and simple. If he has some success, then I guess it will be OK.

Don't tell me how I should think either, you have your opinion of the guy, and I have mine. You may think that I am not a gopher supporter, but I am.

First off,i am not telling you what to think. Secondly,smug is thinking you are better than someone else and flaunting it. Brewster believes in himself,as do most coaches. Bohl is the same way,only his is a quiet confidence

Herd
04-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Watch & Listen . . . Bohl and Brewster . . . Night & Day . . . us,us,us & me,me,me.

sambini
04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Coach Bohl has class. Now Brewster has not learned that yet.

WildBill
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Watch & Listen . . . Bohl and Brewster . . . Night & Day . . . us,us,us & me,me,me.

Not really. Just different styles.

WildBill
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Coach Bohl has class. Now Brewster has not learned that yet.

And you know that how? Seriously,i want to hear this one

Herd
04-17-2008, 12:07 AM
And you know that how? Seriously,i want to hear this one

You must be muting Brew when he comes on if someone has to explain this to you. If you want to call arrogance a style, then yes, he has lots of style. I think we've all had a few bosses like this guy. Ususally they have short lifecycles and don't stay in a job for long. That's my experience with the know-it-all on day 1 guys like Brew. They are impossible to work for.

WildBill
04-17-2008, 01:06 AM
You must be muting Brew when he comes on if someone has to explain this to you. If you want to call arrogance a style, then yes, he has lots of style. I think we've all had a few bosses like this guy. Ususally they have short lifecycles and don't stay in a job for long. That's my experience with the know-it-all on day 1 guys like Brew. They are impossible to work for.

And that proves you know nothing about Brewster.

Mr. Burgundy
04-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Wildbill, can you please change your name again, you are starting to bug me again.

Why do you chose to defend Brewster? What has he done to deserve it. Yeah, he can recruit.......we have established that. We knew that going into this. Besides that....tell me his qualities that you love.

I loved his pre game speach before the Bison dominated them. "Lets go choke their ass out and go sing the rouser...." Stay Classy Minneapolis.

SirHinn
04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Wildbill, can you please change your name again, you are starting to bug me again.

Why do you chose to defend Brewster? What has he done to deserve it. Yeah, he can recruit.......we have established that. We knew that going into this. Besides that....tell me his qualities that you love.

I loved his pre game speach before the Bison dominated them. "Lets go choke their ass out and go sing the rouser...." Stay Classy Minneapolis.

I think he defends Brewster because people (most notably bison fans) take bits and pieces of what he says and then they try to generalize everything like they know him. Instead of reading a tiny portion of what he says; read or listen to the actual whole interview, he's really not all that cocky. Craig Bohl comes off very cocky and arrogant....... only with the ladies though and not on the football field.

Mr. Burgundy
04-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Hey, it is easy to be cocky when you have double digit wins.....not losses.

sambini
04-17-2008, 04:00 AM
And you know that how? Seriously,i want to hear this oneListen to them ...

sambini
04-17-2008, 04:02 AM

I loved his pre game speach before the Bison dominated them. "Lets go choke their ass out and go sing the rouser...." Stay Classy Minneapolis. Wild Bill needs to go over Gopher hole.... This is not the same Wild Bill that I know?

lakesbison
04-17-2008, 05:08 AM
brewster... all talk.. PERIOD

tight end coaches are great masterminds of the game.. really.

all brewster did was target low level 4 star players and got them.. PERIOD

not HIGH level 4 stars.

he was all about the rivals scoutin sites.. period.

WIN more than 3 games in the big ten then get back to me!

p.s- schedule NDSU again. you freakin wimp!

bisonhusker
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Wildbill's previous name was Nobohl....if that gives you any indication as to if he likes NDSU or not.

SirHinn
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM
brewster... all talk.. PERIOD

tight end coaches are great masterminds of the game.. really.

all brewster did was target low level 4 star players and got them.. PERIOD

not HIGH level 4 stars.

he was all about the rivals scoutin sites.. period.

WIN more than 3 games in the big ten then get back to me!

p.s- schedule NDSU again. you freakin wimp!

I don't know who's more talk between Lakes and Brewster, I'd say its a definte toss up PERIOD. Lakes, don't even try and talk about what level recruits Brewster targeted. You sound like a complete utter moron who doesn't know what he is talking about. He targeted players that fit his system PERIOD. According to you, Nick Mertens was a super blue chip who just happened to end up at NDSU. Let's see if you understand this, COACHES RECRUIT PLAYERS THAT FIT THEIR SYSTEM OR PLAYERS THAT WILL MAKE THEIR TEAM BETTER. THEY DON'T CARE WHAT RANKING THE PLAYER IS PERIOD. Make a statement where you actually use your brain, then get back to me.

WildBill
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
I think he defends Brewster because people (most notably bison fans) take bits and pieces of what he says and then they try to generalize everything like they know him. Instead of reading a tiny portion of what he says; read or listen to the actual whole interview, he's really not all that cocky. Craig Bohl comes off very cocky and arrogant....... only with the ladies though and not on the football field.

You are right. I have had the pleasure of meeting Brewster at a few functions. He is anything but cocky and arrogant.

Herd
04-17-2008, 11:20 PM
You are right. I have had the pleasure of meeting Brewster at a few functions. He is anything but cocky and arrogant.

Ok . . . Omniscient, Almighty . . . is that closer.

WildBill
04-18-2008, 03:18 AM
Ok . . . Omniscient, Almighty . . . is that closer.

Bravo. Great post