PDA

View Full Version : Spring Building Update

mebisonII
03-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Alright, its about the time of year for construction to start (ok, I'm in Iowa, so its closer to construction season here), so it must be time for a new construction thread. Someone said the MU is done. What else is finishing/starting/continuing now? Is the new Living Learning Center (what a stupid name for a building :smh: ) going up yet? I don't even know what other projects are in the works on the North Campus. I assume work is progressing at the new downtown building(s)?

I haven't been past campus in a couple years, so fill me in please! :)

Go_Herd
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
The MU is mostly done, they are still doing some small/little things inside the building. The new MU is great I can hardly imagine going to campus with it the old way.

The Living Learning Center pt. two is already up. They are finishing up the guts inside the building.

There is a material handling building going up on the edge of campus.

There is plans this spring to start another greenhouse project / plant science research center.

I have no idea about the progression of the downtown campus.
I will check on campus today if there are any other plans for the immediate future.

roadwarrior
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Work is progressing on both new downtown buildings. They have been working on the addition for Barry Hall through the winter. Check out the constuction cam here:

http://facilities-mgmt.ndsu.nodak.edu//maint_const/barry/

A block east of that project, an additional floor is being added to the former Lincoln Mutual building. This building will be called Klai Hall and will be the home of Architecture.

Hammersmith
03-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but I doubt there'll be many major projects on the main campus this year or next. With 12th Ave all torn up, it could make logistics a nightmare. (I realize 19th is an option, but there'll be greatly increased traffic up there until the 12th Ave projects are done. Even worse if the BB arena happens.)

Side note: Does anyone know if a third and fourth LLC are in the plans?

roadwarrior
03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Only the 12th Ave bridge is involved during 2008.

Next year, the DOT plans to reconstruct 12th Avenue North from 10th Street to Interstate 29.

Hammersmith
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Only the 12th Ave bridge is involved during 2008.

Next year, the DOT plans to reconstruct 12th Avenue North from 10th Street to Interstate 29.

Yeah, but the effect is the same if it involves transporting construction equipment and materials. Traffic over the viaduct this summer is going to be limited to 11 feet and I bet it will be sloooooow going.

Again, I could be completely off base, but I don't think I'd want to be the general contractor of a major project on the main campus this summer.

mebisonII
03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I didn't realize there was construction on 12th (bridge) this summer...I could see that slowing things up.

I've never heard anything about a 3rd and 4th LLC. IMO, it seems like the campus should be pretty well stocked with decent apartment-style living on campus. I'd think that student life buildings have gotten a lot of attention lately and some academic buildings could use a rework or two. South engineering looks tough, I imagine Dolve Hall will need work for its repurposing (whatever it gets repurposed to), and the music department could use some more space.

roadwarrior
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
The State of ND appropriated $5 million last year for the 1st phase of renovations of Minard Hall. I wonder if that project will start this year?

Also the new residence for Pres Chapman will be built this year.

Will the BSA project get started this year ?

roadwarrior
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I didn't realize there was construction on 12th (bridge) this summer...I could see that slowing things up.

The bridge will have a four lane road when completed, but more importantly some structural problems will be corrected.

Hammersmith
03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

I've never heard anything about a 3rd and 4th LLC. IMO, it seems like the campus should be pretty well stocked with decent apartment-style living on campus. I'd think that student life buildings have gotten a lot of attention lately and some academic buildings could use a rework or two. South engineering looks tough, I imagine Dolve Hall will need work for its repurposing (whatever it gets repurposed to), and the music department could use some more space.

I think that the construction of the new residence halls caught NDSU up to where it should be. If enrollment does make it to 16k by 2014 or '16, more will be needed. There seems to be space enough north for another two buildings(if you can find more parking somewhere else), so I've always wondered if plans existed to put them there.

Shhhhh. The music department doesn't need anymore space. We want to let them keep outgrowing the Music Ed building so we can push for a new music/theater building downtown between the art department and the Plains Art Museum. College of Art and Architecture. It's got a nice ring, doesn't it? Refurbish an old apartment building into university housing, and you take NDSU Downtown to a whole new level. Get the city to kick in with $50-75 million for a performing arts center, and everyone is set. Es beautiful, no?

mebisonII
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
I think that the construction of the new residence halls caught NDSU up to where it should be. If enrollment does make it to 16k by 2014 or '16, more will be needed. There seems to be space enough north for another two buildings(if you can find more parking somewhere else), so I've always wondered if plans existed to put them there.

Shhhhh. The music department doesn't need anymore space. We want to let them keep outgrowing the Music Ed building so we can push for a new music/theater building downtown between the art department and the Plains Art Museum. College of Art and Architecture. It's got a nice ring, doesn't it? Refurbish an old apartment building into university housing, and you take NDSU Downtown to a whole new level. Get the city to kick in with $50-75 million for a performing arts center, and everyone is set. Es beautiful, no?

Oooo...I like it! :nod: