PDA

View Full Version : Mertens

tjbison
03-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Kolpack has a nice column on Mertens today. Kid sounds like a natural Leader, Walker was great, but I can't wait to see a 6'1", 215lb, mobile QB in the backfield!

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=195647

Jdubs21
03-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Can't wait to see him finally get his chance, i dont think many people have much confidence in him, but look at all my other posts from day 1 when we started talkin about him, this kid is gonna be a stud

BisonNeil
03-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Can't wait to see him finally get his chance, i dont think many people have much confidence in him, but look at all my other posts from day 1 when we started talkin about him, this kid is gonna be a stud

I think most fans have confidence in Mertens. It's the lack of depth and the fact the coaching staff didn't recruit a QB for two years that scares some of us. I have sensed very little apprehension regarding Mertens as the QB. He'll be a dandy.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
He'll be the best QB at handing the ball off in all of Division 1 AA!!

THEsocalledfan
03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Too bad he is kind of short. Only knock I can make against him. But, Walker wasn't that tall either, and he did great!

Can't wait to win our first national title in D1.

BisonNeil
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Too bad he is kind of short. Only knock I can make against him. But, Walker wasn't that tall either, and he did great!

Can't wait to win our first national title in D1.

Are you being sarscastic?

Mertens is 6'1" and gargantuan compared to Brecke and the new scholie QB from CA (Mohler), both of those guys about 5'11", and maybe not that tall.

So, if you think he is kind of short, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Why do you think they recruited all of the OL this past season who are 6'2" instead of the 6'4" to 6'6" they had been recruiting?

Jdubs21
03-23-2008, 09:07 PM
dont judge kids on their size, it really means nothing....otherwise your saying shamen shouldnt be playing football...he's barely bigger than most junior high kids, but is the most electrifying player on the field

4mcruenomore
03-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Interesting, as far as the Bis. Tribune article today we are still up in the air of who is the starting QB, even quoted Perles.

Tatanka
03-24-2008, 12:43 AM
There was a Bison article in teh Bismarck Tribune? Glory Hallelujah! It's a Christmas miracle!!!

Of course, it was probably buried on one of the back pages after the three-page pictoral spread of UND football players doing situps and talking up their fall schedule.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Da Bison
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
There was a Bison article in teh Bismarck Tribune? Glory Hallelujah! It's a Christmas miracle!!!

Of course, it was probably buried on one of the back pages after the three-page pictoral spread of UND football players doing situps and talking up their fall schedule.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Close................ It was wedged in after the three page article about the huge third place conference hooky win by the Whioux.

Tatanka
03-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Close................ It was wedged in after the three page article about the huge third place conference hooky win by the Whioux.
Sadly, this is actually progress... :smh: :smh: :smh:

lakesbison
03-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Dude is gonna be a STUD!!

I been saying it for 3 years!!!

LETS GET IT ON

4mcruenomore
03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Lots of people talking about the Century QB signing on, in Bismarck anyways. Saying he's all that.

sambini
03-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Dude is gonna be a STUD!!

I been saying it for 3 years!!!

LETS GET IT ON
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

SlickVic
03-24-2008, 06:07 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bisoner1011
03-24-2008, 07:44 AM
he needs to learn alot this spring and become more comfortable in the pocket like walker, you cant teach the things walker has done in games, Much like the pump fake in the sam houston game which was never taught. He needs to lead the team and become more of a voice in the huddle to take the reigns of the bison.

Ferd
03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
he needs to learn alot this spring and become more comfortable in the pocket like walker, you cant teach the things walker has done in games, Much like the pump fake in the sam houston game which was never taught. He needs to lead the team and become more of a voice in the huddle to take the reigns of the bison.

And he will! :nod: :nod:

bisonmike2
03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Mertens is saying all the right things. And he says he's bigger, faster, stronger, and his football knowledge is way ahead of where he was in high school. I think we are in good shape.

THEsocalledfan
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Are you being sarscastic?

Mertens is 6'1" and gargantuan compared to Brecke and the new scholie QB from CA (Mohler), both of those guys about 5'11", and maybe not that tall.

So, if you think he is kind of short, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Why do you think they recruited all of the OL this past season who are 6'2" instead of the 6'4" to 6'6" they had been recruiting?

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. Size does matter at quaterback and height for a pocket passer is important. However, as I said, it is the only knock I can make against him. Many quaterbacks succeed who are short like Mertens (ie Walker as I said); it is just not ideal.

Bison bison
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
he needs to learn alot this spring and become more comfortable in the pocket like walker, you cant teach the things walker has done in games, Much like the pump fake in the sam houston game which was never taught.

i taught him that pump fake.

in the tailgating lot.

45 minutes prior to the game.

seriously.

i mean it.

TransAmBison
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
i taught him that pump fake.

in the tailgating lot.

45 minutes prior to the game.

seriously.

i mean it.
Yeah, well Lakes called the play in on his cell direct to Bohl.

lakesbison
03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
LAKES talked to Walker yesterday on campus.

Walker says' "dont worry about mertens, you'll forget about me after week 4"

I said.. oh hell no, you're a legend!! he just smiled..

Walker said he had a good pro day and is just looking for a chip and a chair and a chance...

p.s- I was lookin for a button hook, but then the pump fake opened up the deep corner... LOVING IT!!

bisonmike2
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Walker said he had a good pro day and is just looking for a chip and a chair and a chance...

p.s- I was lookin for a button hook, but then the pump fake opened up the deep corner... LOVING IT!!

Statements like that are one reason why we won't forget about him anytime soon. What a cool customer. The ultimate competitor yet humble at the same time. I really hope he makes an NFL roster. He's the type of person that I want my little boy to be wearing his NFL jersey.

lakesbison
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
walker is amazing, love his personality!!... best of luck to him.

THEsocalledfan
03-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Statements like that are one reason why we won't forget about him anytime soon. What a cool customer. The ultimate competitor yet humble at the same time. I really hope he makes an NFL roster. He's the type of person that I want my little boy to be wearing his NFL jersey.

I completely agree. But, do you realize, you are making this statement based on a LakesBison quote. Did you independently verify the accuracy?:)

bisonmike2
03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I completely agree. But, do you realize, you are making this statement based on a LakesBison quote. Did you independently verify the accuracy?:)

Actual quote from Walker "Mertens sucks Donkey Balls. I'm way better than him and you guys will be wanting me to suit up by the 4th game. And who the hell are you? Get out of my face Lakes!"

/actually I've heard nothing but good things about Walker ever since he got to NDSU. So I believe Lakes probably got this quote right.

aces1180
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM

What were you doing hanging out on campus?

bisonmike2
03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
What were you doing hanging out on campus?

You know what Lakes likes about college girls? He keeps getting older and they stay the same age. Allllll riiiight.

lakesbison
03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
NICE.... Ad campaign with NDSU Alumni and Flint Comm.

Oh.. and the college girls.. :)

Jdubs21
03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
You know what Lakes likes about college girls? He keeps getting older and they stay the same age. Allllll riiiight.

HAHAHAHAHA classic...one of my top 5 favorite movies, i needed that laugh thank you...lol

Mr. Burgundy
03-27-2008, 12:13 AM
When we think about Taco Bell....we think 13th Ave South by the mall....Lakes thinks...STUDENT UNION!!!!

aces1180
03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
When we think about Taco Bell....we think 13th Ave South by the mall....Lakes thinks...STUDENT UNION!!!!

Too bad they have a limited menu there...I used to be pissed when I couldn't get a Chalupa.

I think Mertens is going to be good...Plenty of talent and he has world-class coaching.

BisonNeil
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Given our lack of depth at QB (due solely to, and I reiterate this again ad nauseum, the lack of this staff's ability to recruit a QB in 2006 and 2007), something like this scares me to death:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391926

Especially if the injury was worse, like Blincoe's.

bisonhusker
03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Is there a difference between chosing not to recruit a quarterback for two years and the "lack of ability to recruit a quarterback?" just curious.

Jdubs21
03-29-2008, 06:08 PM
i think it would be tough to recruit a QB if there isnt immediate playing time, it takes a strong willed kid to sit for 2 or 3 years and bust his ass day in and day out in practice to sit on the bench and wait around for his chance, but i guess thats part of the game

Scooter1
03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Given our lack of depth at QB (due solely to, and I reiterate this again ad nauseum, the lack of this staff's ability to recruit a QB in 2006 and 2007), something like this scares me to death:

We have two other quarterbacks that can be pulled from the defense and both were pretty damn good in HS. (Eaves and Belmont) We did sign a QB last year (Eaves), we just chose to use his talents elsewhere. Belmont was Mr. Everything for his HS team. However, I do think that it would be in the best interrest of NDSU to see if they couldn't get a JUCO quarterback over the spring and summer as an insurance policy. It seemed to work out pretty well for Cal Poly.

BisonNeil
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
We have two other quarterbacks that can be pulled from the defense and both were pretty damn good in HS. (Eaves and Belmont) We did sign a QB last year (Eaves), we just chose to use his talents elsewhere. Belmont was Mr. Everything for his HS team. However, I do think that it would be in the best interrest of NDSU to see if they couldn't get a JUCO quarterback over the spring and summer as an insurance policy. It seemed to work out pretty well for Cal Poly.

I doubt very much there is a JUCO QB worth having at this point in time.

My understanding is that they offered a QB in 2007, but only one, and couldn't land him. But, that is all I was told, which doesn't mean much.

I doubt very, very much that playing time would have been an issue in landing a QB in 2007 since that person would be a soph when they would be given their shot at the reins. So, yes, I do think it is an "inability" to recruit a QB, in my opinion.

But, I have been the lone voice of concern about the lack of a QB recruit in 2006 and 2007, so obviously that concern is misplaced and NDSU will be fine. (And I know we will be fine as long as Mertens can play 30 straight games!)

But, Bohl himself said the QB is the most important position, in commenting at the end of last season what Walker has meant to the program. I just don't understand if that is true, and if he really meant what he said, how the coaches can go two recruiting seasons without either landing a QB or trying to get a QB. Now we are down to two with two true freshmen coming in. I simply can't make sense of it, that's all.

BisonNeil
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
i think it would be tough to recruit a QB if there isnt immediate playing time, it takes a strong willed kid to sit for 2 or 3 years and bust his ass day in and day out in practice to sit on the bench and wait around for his chance, but i guess thats part of the game

So, you must be saying both Mertens and Mohler are "strong willed"? Likely they are, but isn't that what you want in a QB?

SlickVic
03-30-2008, 01:16 AM
wheres the love for mitch brecke????? thats my boy

WRSDBison
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
How many "boys" do you have on the team? Or are they all your boys???

Scooter1
03-30-2008, 02:03 AM
I doubt very much there is a JUCO QB worth having at this point in time.

My understanding is that they offered a QB in 2007, but only one, and couldn't land him. But, that is all I was told, which doesn't mean much.

I doubt very, very much that playing time would have been an issue in landing a QB in 2007 since that person would be a soph when they would be given their shot at the reins. So, yes, I do think it is an "inability" to recruit a QB, in my opinion.

But, I have been the lone voice of concern about the lack of a QB recruit in 2006 and 2007, so obviously that concern is misplaced and NDSU will be fine. (And I know we will be fine as long as Mertens can play 30 straight games!)

But, Bohl himself said the QB is the most important position, in commenting at the end of last season what Walker has meant to the program. I just don't understand if that is true, and if he really meant what he said, how the coaches can go two recruiting seasons without either landing a QB or trying to get a QB. Now we are down to two with two true freshmen coming in. I simply can't make sense of it, that's all.

So, Lone Voice of Concern, outside of wringing your hands, what do you propose? You are all keen on pointing out that this coach can't recruit a quarterback; something we have all read over and over and over. You enjoy thowing water on every suggested ulternative. Now, let's hear your brilliant plan to "save" this sinking ship. We could look to see if we could pick someone up or we could sit here and do nothing. I prefer to at least look.

lakesbison
03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Walker = 2 Years

Mertens = 2 Years

Mohler = 2 Years

Big Flippin Deal... Everyone Needs To Chill Out And Enjoy The "green Wave!"

twowheels
03-30-2008, 03:08 AM

this happens for more than the quarterback position. the players that stay with the program and continue to bust their butts waiting for their chance are team players, not me players.

Kermit
03-30-2008, 06:04 AM
wheres the love for mitch brecke????? thats my boy

Slick has a point. Maybe the coaches who recruited Brecke and have been watching him in practice for 3 years believe that he can play.

sambini
03-30-2008, 08:12 AM
And Coach Vigen does a great job in coaching these young men. I remember they said the same thing when Bentrim left and Mark Speral left. These guys are BISON they will get it done for the TEAM. Its called Bison Pride.

WRSDBison
03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I can see where all the questions are coming from about Mertens leading the team, BUT I know the kid first hand and have looked into his prior experience. WE AS NDSU FANS AND ALUMNI should have absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever.

By the way: I know Walks BOTH as a QB (I have interviewed him) and a person. Greatest guy I have ever met PERIOD. (PM me if you want an exapmle)

I have 100% in Nick and everyone else should jump on board.

sambini
03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Nick is a winner++++++++++++++++++++

BisonNeil
03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I can see where all the questions are coming from about Mertens leading the team, BUT I know the kid first hand and have looked into his prior experience. WE AS NDSU FANS AND ALUMNI should have absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever.

By the way: I know Walks BOTH as a QB (I have interviewed him) and a person. Greatest guy I have ever met PERIOD. (PM me if you want an exapmle)

I have 100% in Nick and everyone else should jump on board.

Nothing I have written, or anybody else that I can see, questions Mertens and his ability to lead the team. Get off that subject for crying out loud. The question is about depth, and what happens if he gets hurt. I don't understand how many of you cannot seem to understand that.

NDSU does have Brecke at #2, yes, and I don't know anything about him, haven't seen him play. After that its true freshmen, so I am concerned about the lack of depth/experience at the QB position after those two, plain and simple.

And I am not, as has been suggested, wringing my hands. I simply posted an link for an article about Florida State's QB woes continuing because their #1 got hurt during spring practice and I shudder to think what the season would be like if either one of our QBs get hurt in spring or fall practice given the razor thin depth. It's a simple observation and expression of concern, not hand-wringing. There's a big difference between the two.

tjbison
03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Nothing I have written, or anybody else that I can see, questions Mertens and his ability to lead the team. Get off that subject for crying out loud. The question is about depth, and what happens if he gets hurt. I don't understand how many of you cannot seem to understand that.

NDSU does have Brecke at #2, yes, and I don't know anything about him, haven't seen him play. After that its true freshmen, so I am concerned about the lack of depth/experience at the QB position after those two, plain and simple.

And I am not, as has been suggested, wringing my hands. I simply posted an link for an article about Florida State's QB woes continuing because their #1 got hurt during spring practice and I shudder to think what the season would be like if either one of our QBs get hurt in spring or fall practice given the razor thin depth. It's a simple observation and expression of concern, not hand-wringing. There's a big difference between the two.

I follow you, it would be a HUGE blow to lose Mertens or anybody at the QB position for that matter!

d3boys
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
I would say most teams would drop aliitle if they lost their first sting quaterback
the rest of the team has to step up and support the second string
we will be ok

IBleedYellow
03-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I've heard he has a better arm than Walker, I just hope he has a calm head to guide that arm.

Scooter1
03-31-2008, 03:39 AM

Well, it kind of looks like hand wringing. I've been known to do a little hand wringing of my own about certain subjects. This just happens to be yours. But, Hey, that's ok.

3-29-08 "But Bohl Himself said that the QB is the most important position, in commenting at the end of the season what Walker meant to the propgram. I just don't understand how, if that is true and he really meant what he said, how the coaches can go two seasons without signing a QB. Now we are down to two with two true freshman comming in. I simply can't make sense of it all." - BisonNeil

3-29-08 "Given our lack of depth at QB (due solely and I reiterate ad nauseum, the lack of this staffs ability to recruit a QB in 2006-2007) Something that Scares Me to Death." - BisonNeil

3-18-08 "The very thin QB position just got thinner. Not having any qb recruits in 2006-2007 makes Parson's departure that much more painfull...Mertens, Brecke return after that 2 true freshman. UGH...."- BisonNeil

3-7-08 "The pooch will be screwed if Mertens goes down and if that does happen (god forbid) my concern about the QB situation will finally be realized by more than just me" -BisonNeil

1-30-08 "How can any of you see every other position on the football team recruited every single year while the most important position isn't recruited for 2 years and most of you think that is an OK deal?? I don't get it, I just don't get it." -BisonNeil

extremerouge
03-31-2008, 04:57 AM
ooo, BisonNeil looks like he got ya on that one...

KC Bison
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Living in KC, I get little of the daily sense of what is going on with the QB situation. I thought Mertens was the next qb, no questions asked. Now I read that he is simply in a head to head competition with Brecke. I guess I can go to the Bison site and do some reading about him but I know nothing about him. Is the starter at QB really up in the air at this time??

roadwarrior
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Coach Bohl simply stated that the QB position was open for competition. Isnt this how it should always be?

rutlandbison
04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Coach Bohl simply stated that the QB position was open for competition. Isnt this how it should always be?

I think it would be cool if they gave Eaves a shot at QB. With his speed, Vince Young maybe???:rolleyes:

tjbison
04-01-2008, 03:15 AM

Thats what I thought too Road!! Afterall doesn't competiton bring out the best in everyone, it would be bad to give Nick a big head by simply handing him the #1 spot. Gotta make him earn it hands down.

rdh701
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
From last nights TV sports on WDAY, sounds like Merten's is doing a lot of things right. Very early, but pretty positive comments.

X-Factor
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
They have to keep the position open, maybe even until fall camp. However, it is Mertens' job to lose.

lakesbison
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
talked to my inside guy on the staff.

Mertens has been very vocal and very intelligent with his decisions so far.

nothing to worry about boys!! lets get it on!

Tatanka
04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
talked to my inside guy on the staff.

Mertens has been very vocal and very intelligent with his decisions so far.

nothing to worry about boys!! lets get it on!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/seanwoods/11111.jpg

Oops, sorry. Duplicate post. :hide: :D

TransAmBison
04-07-2008, 10:14 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/seanwoods/11111.jpg

Oops, sorry. Duplicate post. :hide: :D
I actually laughed out loud at that post...Tatanka you da man!

4mcruenomore
04-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Tell me I'm wrong, I heard from a good source today that he's been throwing to the wrong color? And the coaches are worried about him calling the plays in the huddle????????

lakesbison
04-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Ya. your wrong

unbison
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
lakes and all his insiders...... lakes do not lie.... u have never comprehended anything out of anyone else's mouth..... u only spit out half truths hard to comprehend others when your mouth does not stop opening with more noise coming out:D

4mcruenomore
04-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I actually heard it from the coaches social in Bis. a couple of weeks ago, guess the source was wrong Lakes.

SlickVic
04-14-2008, 03:54 AM
I actually heard it from the coaches social in Bis. a couple of weeks ago, guess the source was wrong Lakes.

ya didnt see any throwing to the wrong color just some straight tatooing to the right color...a few fumbled snaps tho

4mcruenomore
04-14-2008, 04:04 AM
good to hear

lakesbison
04-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Mertens looked great today. nothing to worry about!

Walker has said it before " you will forget about me in 2 years, thats how good mertens is"

obviously WE WONT FORGET WALKER...

Go bison!!

sambini
04-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Nick was ON WDAY TV SPORTS TONIGHT++

Jdubs21
04-22-2008, 04:34 AM
howd he look?

OldBison
04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Mertens looked great today. nothing to worry about!

Walker has said it before " you will forget about me in 2 years, thats how good mertens is"

obviously WE WONT FORGET WALKER...

Go bison!!

Sounds like he struggled mightily against the #1 D last Thurs. According to GoBison:

Mertens was 1-of-5 for 50 yards, while Brecke completed 6-of-10 passes for 67 yards.

One for five?

Lots of work ahead of Nick to be competitive at this level on a consistent basis.

imabison
04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like he struggled mightily against the #1 D last Thurs. According to GoBison:

Mertens was 1-of-5 for 50 yards, while Brecke completed 6-of-10 passes for 67 yards.

One for five?

Lots of work ahead of Nick to be competitive at this level on a consistent basis.
Last even on WDAY he commented that it brings you down in a hurry to throw a 50 TD pass and then get intercepted. He admitted he is learning every day. And yes he said he has lots to learn.

UTH
04-22-2008, 03:51 PM

One for five?

I would argue that 1 / 5 isn't too indicative of the way he'll play in the next 20 games. If he is consistently overthrowing receivers, passing into double coverage, or tossing up rainbows when panicked, then I'd be a little concerned. Nobody's brought up any serious issues. We can all relax - there is plenty of time for everything to fall into place. Let the Big Red Panic Button continue to gather dust and cobwebs.

Hammersmith
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
but it's so big

and red

and shiiiiny

push the button

push the red, shiny, candy-like button

:D :D :D

UTH
04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
but it's so big

and red

and shiiiiny

push the button

push the red, shiny, candy-like button

:D :D :D

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Temptationdonotpushbutton.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykdNzt6iUo&feature=PlayList&p=5CF68A9320115003&index=9)

*no worries - rick does not roll here

Bison101
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Temptationdonotpushbutton.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykdNzt6iUo&feature=PlayList&p=5CF68A9320115003&index=9)

*no worries - rick does not roll here

Funny stuff. You gotta love Family Guy!

Bison101
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I think all this worry about Mertens is needless.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4766/xpw8.jpg

He has a cannon for an arm!:nod: