PDA

View Full Version : Jacks and the WNIT

BlueKeyAlum
03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Bunnies host Creighton in first round of WNIT for an opportunity to play Marquette in round 2.

WNIT bracket gives first round byes to teams who may be crappy but are still from major conferences.

Hope the Bunnies kick lots of butt.

Greenie
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Hope they get their butts kicked...You can't be nice to our 'rival' :)

Bison"FANatic"
03-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I'll be rooting for them. It is just different for me than the old rivalry with the school that shall not be mentioned. I actually want to see the rabbits do well as it brings attention to the league. Same with ORU I want to see them do well but they got very tough games in both the mens and womens tournament.

Elephants Dream?
03-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Where would I find easily printable brackets for the
NCAA Women and WNIT?

Hammersmith
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Where would I find easily printable brackets for the
NCAA Women and WNIT?

http://www.womensnit.com/photos/bracket.pdf
http://www.ncaa.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Basketball_(W)/2008WBKBracket.pdf

Elephants Dream?
03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks. Exactly what we needed.

BlueKeyAlum
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Go, Bunnies, Go!!!!

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
If the Jacks win we will host round 2 against Marquette. Weird, they get a bye and may have to travel to Brookings.

bisonmike2
03-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry but I hope they lose....bad! Look they've whooped our arse consistantly the past couple of years and they don't need a solid NIT run to help their recruiting out.

BlueKeyAlum
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Bunnies are up 11-4 early....3 pt. shooters are on fire.

Go Bunnies, go!!!

Walrus
03-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Jacks up 34 - 27 at the half

Walrus
03-21-2008, 01:49 AM
CU wins 76-69

BlueKeyAlum
03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Big comeback by the Jays. 6-8 from downtown in the second half for Creighton team. Tale of two hlves.

Great season, Bunnies.

SDbison
03-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Sorry but I hope they lose....bad! Look they've whooped our arse consistantly the past couple of years and they don't need a solid NIT run to help their recruiting out.
Even without the solid WNIT run this year they can say they finished at the top of the Summit conference and had a WNIT appearance this year and last year they made a good run in the WNIT. They also already have a solid group of starters and a deep bench, not to mention a coach who has been there for a while. NDSU women's basketball on the other hand can talk of the glory years 10 plus years ago, no WNIT appearances and no recent conference championships. NDSU just lost their coach and the basketball facility is much less desirable than SDSU's. I would say big advantage SDSU in recruiting and on game day for several years to come. So why did NDSU women's program falter for so long?

lakesbison
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
1 game & out is a good run?

bisonmike2
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Even without the solid WNIT run this year they can say they finished at the top of the Summit conference and had a WNIT appearance this year and last year they made a good run in the WNIT. They also already have a solid group of starters and a deep bench, not to mention a coach who has been there for a while. NDSU women's basketball on the other hand can talk of the glory years 10 plus years ago, no WNIT appearances and no recent conference championships. NDSU just lost their coach and the basketball facility is much less desirable than SDSU's. I would say big advantage SDSU in recruiting and on game day for several years to come. So why did NDSU women's program falter for so long?

I have no idea why NDSU has faltered for so long. As great as Amy was for the program I think it's good we are going to get some new blood in here. We never quite took to Divison I like SDSU did and maybe a new coach will help jumpstart that. Add the (potential) new b-ball arena and hopefully the glory days will come back.

SDbison
03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
1 game & out is a good run?
I thought SDSU won 2 games in the WNIT last year?

lakesbison
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
i was talkin this year.

DORMIE
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
SDBison, are you really a Bison or Jackrabit fan. You seem to be pretty negative and it really gets old. Sure the Jack's have had our number the past 3 years (6-0) but injuries to our point guards didn't help. We were 3-1 the 2 years prior. Over the past 10 years it's 12-8 Jacks. Not like you've beat the crap out of us forever. Oh to have Nancy back. You seem to forget who set the bar.

SDbison
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
SDBison, are you really a Bison or Jackrabit fan. You seem to be pretty negative and it really gets old. Sure the Jack's have had our number the past 3 years (6-0) but injuries to our point guards didn't help. We were 3-1 the 2 years prior. Over the past 10 years it's 12-8 Jacks. Not like you've beat the crap out of us forever. Oh to have Nancy back. You seem to forget who set the bar.
I am a Bison fan.....just took my green and gold goggles off a moment to see the Jack womens basketball program is about as well positioned as NDSU's football team when comparing who would win recruiting battles and big games (except the Jacks football team surpised us 2 out of 4 times recently). :blush:

NorthernBison
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I am a Bison fan.....just took my green and gold goggles off a moment to see the Jack womens basketball program is about as well positioned as NDSU's football team when comparing who would win recruiting battles and big games (except the Jacks football team surpised us 2 out of 4 times recently). :blush:

The points you made comparing us to the Jacks are valid but, they are only part of the story. Everything isn't all negative. I believe the NDSU women did finish second in the Summit.

SDSU last year had one of the best mid-major teams in the country and they weren't far off this year. Even Jack fans talk about how much better these teams have been than their NC DII team.

That means the Jacks have not only gotten much better, they leaped over established D1 programs. The Bison also are better than many established D1's.

The future should be bright for NDSU when you consider the institutional support, the tradition of winning, and a new coach with youthful energy, D1 experience, recruiting experience and everything else I expect Lynn Dorn's hire to have.

d3boys
03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
The points you made comparing us to the Jacks are valid but, they are only part of the story. Everything isn't all negative. I believe the NDSU women did finish second in the Summit.

SDSU last year had one of the best mid-major teams in the country and they weren't far off this year. Even Jack fans talk about how much better these teams have been than their NC DII team.

That means the Jacks have not only gotten much better, they leaped over established D1 programs. The Bison also are better than many established D1's.

The future should be bright for NDSU when you consider the institutional support, the tradition of winning, and a new coach with youthful energy, D1 experience, recruiting experience and everything else I expect Lynn Dorn's hire to have.
great response nb
cant agree more

rabidrabbit
03-23-2008, 03:21 PM
It may take a couple of years to get to the Bunnies level, but this rabid rabbit hopes to see the whole Summit come up the Jacks level, rather than Jacks come down into the 150-200 level.

To bring the league as a whole into better ratings, OOC games should be against teams that made post season the year before, and win those games.

Creighton shot over 70% the second half, vs their normal 33% success. Jacks took more shots, matched them on rebounds and basically lost by 10.

Next year, SDSU and NDSU have the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls. Time to bring the noise and passion that has been missing in Tulsa.

Good luck Bison! Look forward to when you're competitive against the Jacks again.

TheDoctor
03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
How did the Jacks women make the NIT this year, but our men had no chance of making it this year before the season began? The rational as to why they couldn't does not make sense if the Jack women made it. ;)

roadwarrior
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
The answer is easy. The NCAA runs the men's NIT and not the women's.

Bison"FANatic"
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Didn't the NCAA buy the rights to the mens NIT a year or two ago?

Hammersmith
03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the NCAA just might've bought out the men's NIT a couple years ago. What does anyone else think?

:p ;) :D

Elephants Dream?
03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Besides the NCAA ownership, you also have the Jacks women
winning a couple games last year, eventually losing to
Wyoming. Nice showing last year probably helped this year.
What is the men's RPI rating this year?
Jacks women is probably higher, high enough to make the tourney.

TheDoctor
03-26-2008, 12:59 AM
I didn't realize they bought the one but not the other. I thought they bought both. Thanks. ;)

BTownJack
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Men's NDSU RPI: 193
Women's SDSU RPI: 60

RPI ratings taken from www.realtimerpi.com.

That sums it up pretty well. Also, the WNIT grants one automatic bid to every D-I conference. That bid goes to the highest regular season ranked team that doesn't make the NCAA tournament. Since we finished the regular season ranked 1st, we would have went no matter of our RPI.

TheDoctor
03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Men's NDSU RPI: 193
Women's SDSU RPI: 60

RPI ratings taken from www.realtimerpi.com.

That sums it up pretty well. Also, the WNIT grants one automatic bid to every D-I conference. That bid goes to the highest regular season ranked team that doesn't make the NCAA tournament. Since we finished the regular season ranked 1st, we would have went no matter of our RPI.

Um...........no it doesn't sum it up. I was not saying that I thought NDSU should have been selected at the end of the year (as you are suggesting). I am stating that at the beginning of the season when we had high hopes, we were told the NIT was not an option. The answer is now clear as to why at the beginning of the season when the Bison Men and Jack Women both had hopes of an NIT birth. The Women were eligible and the Men were not, because the NCAA bought the Mens tourney and NOT the womens tourney. THAT sums it up pretty well. ;)

BTownJack
03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Um...........no it doesn't sum it up. I was not saying that I thought NDSU should have been selected at the end of the year (as you are suggesting). I am stating that at the beginning of the season when we had high hopes, we were told the NIT was not an option. The answer is now clear as to why at the beginning of the season when the Bison Men and Jack Women both had hopes of an NIT birth. The Women were eligible and the Men were not, because the NCAA bought the Mens tourney and NOT the womens tourney. THAT sums it up pretty well. ;)

My apologies...I mid-understood your statements about the Bison men not being considered for the NIT this year. I should have quoted Elephants Dream? post asking what the RPIs were, that would have been more appropriate.

Until I read your most recent post, I was unaware our men's team were ineligible for the NIT. I knew the NCAA had bought the rights to the tournament but I wasn't aware they were keeping transitional teams out.

Isn't it nice we don't have to worry about this next year???

Cheers to all NDSU and SDSU fans to filling up the Sioux Falls Arena next year. Let's make it a special event!

TheDoctor
03-28-2008, 04:21 PM
My apologies...I mid-understood your statements about the Bison men not being considered for the NIT this year. I should have quoted Elephants Dream? post asking what the RPIs were, that would have been more appropriate.

Until I read your most recent post, I was unaware our men's team were ineligible for the NIT. I knew the NCAA had bought the rights to the tournament but I wasn't aware they were keeping transitional teams out.

Isn't it nice we don't have to worry about this next year???

Cheers to all NDSU and SDSU fans to filling up the Sioux Falls Arena next year. Let's make it a special event!

No problem. And sorry if it seemed I got a bit huffy :D. I learned something new about the acquisition as well. I didn't realize the only bought the mens. I can't wait for Sioux Falls. ;)