PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Line & Defensive Backfield

CaBisonFan
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
To me, these are the two biggest areas of concern for next fall. While I understand the anxiety over a new quarterback, I think that the talent surrounding the quarterback will make the transition as easy as is possible.

What do you guys think of our lineup in these two areas of defense? Do we have some up & coming athletes that will emerge this fall?

Where does a player like Matt Anderson fit into the plan? He has Mayville ties, that's why I'm asking. Went to school with his dad.

Gully
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree that DL is always a question....we do have Gratzek, Lardinois as anchors....along with a JC transfer.

The defensive backfield should be a strength if we stay healthy. What are you worried about back there?

onbison09
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree that DL is always a question....we do have Gratzek, Lardinois as anchors....along with a JC transfer.

The defensive backfield should be a strength if we stay healthy. What are you worried about back there?

D-backs were a worry last year and they did better than expected. WIth Lardinois and Gratzek I think the D-line will be fine.

BisonNeil
03-16-2008, 10:04 PM
With Courtney Mitchell back and Richard Bowman, I think we are okay in the DB area, although it will be interesting to see how depth at the safety positions work out, that is why I for one like the idea of Shane Potter transferring to NDSU. But by and large I am also not too concerned about the defensive backfield.

DL is another story, not because we don't have solid starters, its the backups that could be thin. I just don't know. The Juco will provide depth at NG/DT, but will there be anyone else who steps up? It took half a season for Gratzek to really play solid ball and I think he was a dandy the last half of the season. Can Danilkowicz do the same in 08? I see he is up to 285 lbs, so that is a good thing.

But what about DE? We were also thin there last year with only one solid backup rotating in making a significant impact. Can Coulter and Johnson be effective as RFr? Any others? I hope so. With the thin air of WY, we need some depth off the bench to make an impact if we expect to hang with them for four quarters.

Scooter1
03-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I think the defense for next year is going to be better than last year. We lost Mays, Earl, Brown and Dallas but gain Bowman, Mitchell, Colvin,Yuen and a bunch of talented young guns.

On the defensive end spot, we have some solid performers with Lardinois and Compton. Lardinois is a legitimate all conference candidate while Compton put in a solid year last year and should only get better. Throw Boyer and Johnson into the mix and we should be OK. But you guys are right, we do need two youngsters to step up to the challenge. Need to step up...Boyer,Johnson, Stockzinski, and Sharpe.

One thing to think about is this, NDSU has Wurzbacher, Brown, Hines, Smith, Shannon and Veldman at TE. Landon Smith at 6'2 240 is to good an athlete to get lost in the TE shuffle. Would he make a good DE?

In the interior line, Gratzek and Fairbairn are going to be solid. Both Fairbairn and Gratzek put up some descent numbers for underclassmen last year and again, they should be better next year. The youtube tape of Yuen was pretty impressive, rarely did you ever see this kid moved off the ball. In fact, the line of scrimmage routinely was reestablished 1 to 1 1/2 yards behind the original line of scrimmage. Gratzek and Fairbairn had better improve from their solid performance from last year or this kid could take one of the interior starting spots by game 2. The guy that I want to see on the field is Danilkowicz, at 285 I think this kid has the chance to be a real contibutor. I firmly believe that without the leg injury suffered during wrestling season, he probably would be wearing a different color uniform. We got a steal with this kid. Need to step up... Danilkowicz, Phillips, Yuen

In the secondary, what's to worry about? You have three of four starters coming back and, Bowman, Colvin, Mitchell, and Banks all get added into the mix from last year. Barring some massive injuries, you won't see the Bison secondary failing due to fatigue in the fourth quarter like last year (Sam Houston). Bowman, Richardson, Agbetola, Colvin, Mitchell, Schommer, and Belmont all have game time experience. How many teams can say that they have seven DBs with playing time experience coming back? Now, throw Eaves, Lemon, Bigley, Banks, into the mix and the 2008 recruits are really going to have to be something special to justify pulling a redshirt at defensive back. Need to step up... Colvin, Bigley, Lemon and Eaves.

The linebackers will be rock solid, we have Humber, Maresh, Henry, Anderson, Kittelson, Beson, Freeman, Brower (?), Senger, impressive new recruits and only three spots. Need to step up... Beson, Freeman, Anderson

CaBisonFan
03-17-2008, 03:01 AM

I wasn't sure if we had guys coming back from injuries in the backfield. It's paranoia from last year.

CaBisonFan
03-17-2008, 03:06 AM
I think the defense for next year is going to be better than last year. We lost Mays, Earl, Brown and Dallas but gain Bowman, Mitchell, Colvin,Yuen and a bunch of talented young guns.

On the defensive end spot, we have some solid performers with Lardinois and Compton. Lardinois is a legitimate all conference candidate while Compton put in a solid year last year and should only get better. Throw Boyer and Johnson into the mix and we should be OK. But you guys are right, we do need two youngsters to step up to the challenge. Need to step up...Boyer,Johnson, Stockzinski, and Sharpe.

One thing to think about is this, NDSU has Wurzbacher, Brown, Hines, Smith, Shannon and Veldman at TE. Landon Smith at 6'2 240 is to good an athlete to get lost in the TE shuffle. Would he make a good DE?

In the interior line, Gratzek and Fairbairn are going to be solid. Both Fairbairn and Gratzek put up some descent numbers for underclassmen last year and again, they should be better next year. The youtube tape of Yuen was pretty impressive, rarely did you ever see this kid moved off the ball. In fact, the line of scrimmage routinely was reestablished 1 to 1 1/2 yards behind the original line of scrimmage. Gratzek and Fairbairn had better improve from their solid performance from last year or this kid could take one of the interior starting spots by game 2. The guy that I want to see on the field is Danilkowicz, at 285 I think this kid has the chance to be a real contibutor. I firmly believe that without the leg injury suffered during wrestling season, he probably would be wearing a different color uniform. We got a steal with this kid. Need to step up... Danilkowicz, Phillips, Yuen

In the secondary, what's to worry about? You have three of four starters coming back and, Bowman, Colvin, Mitchell, and Banks all get added into the mix from last year. Barring some massive injuries, you won't see the Bison secondary failing due to fatigue in the fourth quarter like last year (Sam Houston). Bowman, Richardson, Agbetola, Colvin, Mitchell, Schommer, and Belmont all have game time experience. How many teams can say that they have seven DBs with playing time experience coming back? Now, throw Eaves, Lemon, Bigley, Banks, into the mix and the 2008 recruits are really going to have to be something special to justify pulling a redshirt at defensive back. Need to step up... Colvin, Bigley, Lemon and Eaves.

The linebackers will be rock solid, we have Humber, Maresh, Henry, Anderson, Kittelson, Beson, Freeman, Brower (?), Senger, impressive new recruits and only three spots. Need to step up... Beson, Freeman, Anderson

Thanks Scooter. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Was Yuen a redshirt last year?

Also, what's more of the story on Danilkowicz? Hometown, ability, who wanted him, etc. Was he a rated recruit...or highly recruited until getting injured?

thanks!

Bison"FANatic"
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Yuen is the Samoan we have coming in from a JC. I think he is going to be a fan favorite and will make some noise but only time will tell.

tcbison
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks Scooter. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Was Yuen a redshirt last year?

Also, what's more of the story on Danilkowicz? Hometown, ability, who wanted him, etc. Was he a rated recruit...or highly recruited until getting injured?

thanks!

CaBisonFan,
www.gobison.com (http://www.gobison.com) is a great resource for a lot of your questions.

X-Factor
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
We have discussed most of this stuff multiple times already and it's only March. Just paying attention to the threads as they go by is another great resource.

Or www.in-forum.com

Kolpack had an article a while back about the defensive backfield. It is stacked. Not sure why anybody would be the slightest concerned about it. The defense in general should be significantly improved. There isn't a single open position without at least 1 player that has seen significant playing time in the past.

BisonNeil
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
There are some intesting things to watch for the D this spring, something I will be watching at the spring game.

Lots of names mentioned by Scooter in the defensive backfield, most of them CBs. Depth at the safety positions is likely to come from RFr rather than upper classmen, IMO. So, I agree that we have lots of DBs, but do we have depth at SS or FS? The answer to that question will come, obviously.

Lot's of LBs, but who will be in the middle? Tyler Henry is the obvious answer since he got quality snaps this past season, but is he the answer? When Mays sat out a game late last season I was concerned by all the times Henry got a tackle as the guy was running over him. He didn't plug the hole like I was hoping he would. At 6'2" and 225 lbs I think he is a bit light to be in the middle, compared to 5'11" and 245 Mays. Some people I have discussed the LB situation with think Andersen is an FBS athlete and ultimately think he will be moved to the middle. Unfortunately, his body type is more of an OLB type than ILB type also, but I guess we'll see.

Bottom line, the spring game is going to be fun!!

Bisonguy
03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
There are some intesting things to watch for the D this spring, something I will be watching at the spring game.

Lots of names mentioned by Scooter in the defensive backfield, most of them CBs. Depth at the safety positions is likely to come from RFr rather than upper classmen, IMO. So, I agree that we have lots of DBs, but do we have depth at SS or FS? The answer to that question will come, obviously.

Lot's of LBs, but who will be in the middle? Tyler Henry is the obvious answer since he got quality snaps this past season, but is he the answer? When Mays sat out a game late last season I was concerned by all the times Henry got a tackle as the guy was running over him. He didn't plug the hole like I was hoping he would. At 6'2" and 225 lbs I think he is a bit light to be in the middle, compared to 5'11" and 245 Mays. Some people I have discussed the LB situation with think Andersen is an FBS athlete and ultimately think he will be moved to the middle. Unfortunately, his body type is more of an OLB type than ILB type also, but I guess we'll see.

Bottom line, the spring game is going to be fun!!

I didn't see Tyler Henry a lot in games, but I didn't see many people last year that could do this to another Tyler:
http://www.dehoff.smugmug.com/photos/185181446_BYJjo-M.jpg

msvjcpa
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Who is that making the tackle?

Bisonguy
03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Tyler Henry.

CaBisonFan
03-18-2008, 05:22 AM
We have discussed most of this stuff multiple times already and it's only March. Just paying attention to the threads as they go by is another great resource.

Or www.in-forum.com (http://www.in-forum.com)

Kolpack had an article a while back about the defensive backfield. It is stacked. Not sure why anybody would be the slightest concerned about it. The defense in general should be significantly improved. There isn't a single open position without at least 1 player that has seen significant playing time in the past.

I apologize for not living on bisonville and reading every source. I posed a question. If you're not interested, don't read it.

rutlandbison
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I apologize for not living on bisonville and reading every source. I posed a question. If you're not interested, don't read it.

Very well put CaBisonFan.

X-Factor
03-18-2008, 05:40 PM

CA, relax. Maybe I came off as though I was annoyed by your question. That was not the case I assure you :D I enjoy discussing about these topics!