PDA

View Full Version : I like the 2008 football schedule

BisonNeil
03-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I think the upcoming football schedule is a great one, kudos to Gene Taylor for putting it together. I like it from several standpoints.

First, there are never more than two road games in a row. Two home, two away, two home, two away, home, away and home for the regular season finale. I realize some of this is handed down by the conference, but it works well compared to the brutal travel schedule of 2006.

Second, I like how the breaks are laid out. Four games, then the Bison get a breather on Sept 27. Heal dings, get a breather, tweak their game. Then five games and another breather on Nov 8 before the final six games and playing in the national championship game.

This is a great schedule!!

Thu, Aug 28 Austin Peay Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Sep 06 Central Connecticut State Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Sep 13 Wyoming at Laramie, Wyo.
Sat, Sep 20 Youngstown State * at Youngstown, Ohio
Sat, Oct 04 Southern Illinois * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 11 Western Illinois * Fargo, N.D.
Sat, Oct 18 Northern Iowa * at Cedar Falls, Iowa
Sat, Oct 25 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Indiana State * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo.
Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota State * Fargo, N.D.

* Conference Games

GrizFoo
03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know anything about Austin P. Or C.Conn, but I love your schedule other than them. Given that you will be breaking in a new QB (I think) and given how tough your schedule was last year, I think you deserve some warm up games.
I wish the Griz had Wyoming (or any FBS team for that matter) on the schedule.
Congrats, and congrats on being playoff eligable. For the team and fans that has to be a huge weight lifted. The frustration you've had to live with, is now something in the past. All of FCS looks forward to seeing NDSU perform as a full member of the FCS. Maybe we'll see you in the playoffs, since for some odd reason our powers that control scheduling can't seem to get a game between the two of us. I would love a home and home with NDSU and SDSU for that matter.
Welcome to the possibility of the playoffs!

CaBisonFan
03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
I think the upcoming football schedule is a great one, kudos to Gene Taylor for putting it together. I like it from several standpoints.

First, there are never more than two road games in a row. Two home, two away, two home, two away, home, away and home for the regular season finale. I realize some of this is handed down by the conference, but it works well compared to the brutal travel schedule of 2006.

Second, I like how the breaks are laid out. Four games, then the Bison get a breather on Sept 27. Heal dings, get a breather, tweak their game. Then five games and another breather on Nov 8 before the final six games and playing in the national championship game.

* Conference Games

I totally agree with you Neil. We get two games at home that will allow the less experienced players, especially the QB, to get adjusted to their new roles...and then they get to go on the road to play a good FBS team, but not one of the juggernauts.

This formula 'should' prepare the Bison for the conference schedule very well.

CaBisonFan
03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't know anything about Austin P. Or C.Conn, but I love your schedule other than them. Given that you will be breaking in a new QB (I think) and given how tough your schedule was last year, I think you deserve some warm up games.
Congrats, and congrats on being playoff eligable. For the team and fans that has to be a huge weight lifted. The frustration you've had to live with, is now something in the past. All of FCS looks forward to seeing NDSU perform as a full member of the FCS. Maybe we'll see you in the playoffs, since for some odd reason our powers that control scheduling can't seem to get a game between the two of us. I would love a home and home with NDSU and SDSU for that matter.

Thanks for the comments Grizfoo. You seem to understand what's been going on here. I wish that we could establish a tradition with Montana, to play every year. It's an old natural rivalry that wouldn't distract from playoff eligibility because of the quality of both programs. It would add to the legitimacy of our pre-conference schedules...and the fan interest would be off the chart.

TheBisonator
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I think it was imperative that we get a couple lower FCS teams to start out with, because it gives Mertens a chance to fine-tune his skills and get into a weekly game rhythm against mediocre teams in front of a friendly home crowd.

onbison09
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
WOW a level headed Griz fan!!! :nod:

WYOBISONMAN
03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
And of course I love it!

Hansel
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
now that the schedule is finished let's hope Jorgensen starts working on getting some games on TV (preferably Fox Sports ;)

Bison101
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
now that the schedule is finished let's hope Jorgensen starts working on getting some games on TV (preferably Fox Sports ;)

I think that the SIU home game would be most likely to be brodcast on FSNN.

KVLY is fine with me.

ESPN is even finer. :nod:

BisonNeil
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I think it was imperative that we get a couple lower FCS teams to start out with, because it gives Mertens a chance to fine-tune his skills and get into a weekly game rhythm against mediocre teams in front of a friendly home crowd.

I really don't think either of the first two teams are mediocre. Besides, I don't think that is respectful of our opponents and a hundred or so years ago when I was an athlete we were always taught to respect our opponents.

SDbison
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I really don't think either of the first two teams are mediocre. Besides, I don't think that is respectful of our opponents and a hundred or so years ago when I was an athlete we were always taught to respect our opponents.
Nothing disrespectful about mediocre. Maybe better to say middle of the road or average, because that is what they are. No one said they suck, or we are going to easily kick their a$$.

BisonNeil
03-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Nothing disrespectful about mediocre. Maybe better to say middle of the road or average, because that is what they are. No one said they suck, or we are going to easily kick their a$$.

I don't know, mediocre is a pretty difficult word. Just remember how pissed everyone got when CMU and MN where discounting NDSU because we were FCS. We got downright testy because of it. Even with the smack WY has already started. Imagine if one of them called us mediocre, are you saying you wouldn't think it was disrespectful?

56BISON73
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't know, mediocre is a pretty difficult word. Just remember how pissed everyone got when CMU and MN where discounting NDSU because we were FCS. We got downright testy because of it. Even with the smack WY has already started. Imagine if one of them called us mediocre, are you saying you wouldn't think it was disrespectful?

I myself dont see the mediocre reference as disrespectful. Especially if its true. People who say teams are mediocre are just voicing an opinion.
If someone called the Bison Football team mediocre I would look at him as extremely uninformed.
I think there is a line between not respecting a program for whatever reasons and being disrespectful.

Jdubs21
03-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I dont mind having a couple easy games on there....because after that we will have our work cut out for us every week from there on out, the gateway is gonna be tough road

Mr. Burgundy
03-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I ran into Coach Bohl tonight and brought up the schedule. He was very optimistic and excited for us to play in a great conference, play at Wyoming, and be able to play in the playoffs/national championship.

He also made some great points about how the transition was great for Fargo. How it was great in ALL sports, and how football tickets are soon going to be at a premium. Very interesting points. Fun conversation.

Gully
03-17-2008, 03:08 AM
I ran into Coach Bohl tonight and brought up the schedule. He was very optimistic and excited for us to play in a great conference, play at Wyoming, and be able to play in the playoffs/national championship.

He also made some great points about how the transition was great for Fargo. How it was great in ALL sports, and how football tickets are soon going to be at a premium. Very interesting points. Fun conversation.

Hey Burgundy.....I now have a knot on my head. It seems I tripped over all of the names that you've been dropping on this board!:D :D :D :D

I kid because I care.:p

TheDoctor
03-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Hey Burgundy.....I now have a knot on my head. It seams I tripped over all of the names that you've been dropping on this board!:D :D :D :D

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

HerdBot
03-17-2008, 05:05 AM

* Conference Games

After further review...I LOVE the schedule!! Six home games baby!! (hopefully a playoff game too!)

IS THIS THE TOUGHEST STRETCH WE HAVE EVER PLAYED?

THOUGHTS ON THE SCHEDULE
Austin Peay and Central Connecticut State are not too bad for warmup games. Think to the days of transition when we played the likes of D2 Concordia St Paul and D3 Montana Tech!! Austin Peay is one of the better teams in the D1 Ohio Valley Confernce and there is a small chance they could win unlike warm up teams in the past.

We've got a D1A road trip game to Wyoming. We've got a road trip game to Cedar Falls Iowa. We've got a huge game vs Dale Lennon and Southern Illinois at home along with Western Illinois. And to think we get to cap it off against SDSU!

Speaking of TV games? I sure as hell hope the Youngstown game is on TV because I cant make the trip. We need to have every road game on TV. I liked the setup they had with 4 and 11 last year. I'd like to see a few games on FSNN.

I was checking out the South Dakota schedule and they play a D2 team and 3 NAIA teams! How is that for a rough transiton.

Bison Dan
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Burgundy.....I now have a knot on my head. It seams I tripped over all of the names that you've been dropping on this board!:D :D :D :D

He can't help if he's well connected!!!

stevdock
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Anyway we get some road games on TV this year? If not, I'll have to think about getting the web stream through the Gateway this year.

mebisonII
03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Anyway we get some road games on TV this year? If not, I'll have to think about getting the web stream through the Gateway this year.

I know a way to get on ESPN.....:)

Hammerhead
03-18-2008, 03:27 AM
A mediocre FBS team = good FCS team.

The Bison have had 2 good FCS teams and we barely lost to a medicocre Gophers team in 2006 and beat sub-mediocre Gophers team in 2007.

Therefore I wouldn't consider it an insult to call Wyoming mediocre.

I myself dont see the mediocre reference as disrespectful. Especially if its true. People who say teams are mediocre are just voicing an opinion.
If someone called the Bison Football team mediocre I would look at him as extremely uninformed.
I think there is a line between not respecting a program for whatever reasons and being disrespectful.

OldBison
03-18-2008, 01:33 PM
A mediocre FBS team = good FCS team.

The Bison have had 2 good FCS teams and we barely lost to a medicocre Gophers team in 2006 and beat sub-mediocre Gophers team in 2007.

Therefore I wouldn't consider it an insult to call Wyoming mediocre.

Hammer, that comment was made in response to Bisonator stating on the first page of this thread "I think it was imperative that we get a couple lower FCS teams to start out with, because it gives Mertens a chance to fine-tune his skills and get into a weekly game rhythm against mediocre teams in front of a friendly home crowd."__________________

Nothing about that comment could be construed as talking about Wyoming. Try to keep up :p

OldBison
03-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Really. So Austin Peay went 7-4 last year. You think its fair to call them "mediocre", that's what Bisonator said.

The Bison have twice gone 7-4 under Bohl, playing the likes of Concordia-St. Paul and DIII Montana Tech. So, I guess if one of their opponents referred to us as mediocre after those two seasons it is safe to assume you wouldn't have taken those comments as disrespectful, correct?

I for one would have and I guess I agree with others, respect for opponents is always a good thing, and calling a 7-4 team mediocre can, in no way, be considered respectful.

Scooter1
03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Really. So Austin Peay went 7-4 last year. You think its fair to call them "mediocre", that's what Bisonator said.

The Bison have twice gone 7-4 under Bohl, playing the likes of Concordia-St. Paul and DIII Montana Tech. So, I guess if one of their opponents referred to us as mediocre after those two seasons it is safe to assume you wouldn't have taken those comments as disrespectful, correct?

I for one would have and I guess I agree with others, respect for opponents is always a good thing, and calling a 7-4 team mediocre can, in no way, be considered respectful.

2003 8-3 losses -st cloud, UND UC Davis
2004 8-3 losses -Cal Poly, SDSU, UNC
2005 7-4 Losses -Montana St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, S Illinois
2006 10-1 Losses -U of Minnesota
2007 10-1 Losses -SDSU

mebisonII
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Such distress over 'mediocre'? Geez, back in the day, if the worst an opposing team got called was mediocre, we were having an off day :D

TransAmBison
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Such distress over 'mediocre'? Geez, back in the day, if the worst an opposing team got called was mediocre, we were having an off day :D
OFF DAY????!!! :ranting: :ranting: Who are you saying is having an off day????!!! How dare you say we are having an off day!! :ranting: I've NEVER heard such nonsense-drivel-hogwash!!!!!!!!! AArrrghhhhhhh!!!

*As always, I kid because I care.

bisonmike2
03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
What does everyone think about adding huge banners outside of the dome on game day? Like a big picuture of Mays unloading on someone and maybe a picture of Walker poised to pass. And it doesn't have to be recent players. Just take Bison greats and put them on several gigantic banners and hang them around the fargodome on game day. I just thought that could always be a great way to signify game day. If done right it could be cool. If done wrong it could look tacky.

mebisonII
03-18-2008, 06:34 PM
OFF DAY????!!! :ranting: :ranting: Who are you saying is having an off day????!!! How dare you say we are having an off day!! :ranting: I've NEVER heard such nonsense-drivel-hogwash!!!!!!!!! AArrrghhhhhhh!!!

*As always, I kid because I care.

I find your rant....mediocre.

;)

UTH
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I find your rant....mediocre.

;)

Meh... All it seems to lack is lazy misspelling, excessive use of capslock, and inconsistent use of punctuation. Oh yeah, the grammar is too proper, too.

*miss anything, lakes?

TransAmBison
03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I will work harder to have better rants next time. Man, tough crowd!

lakesbison
03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
How Do I Get Ripped And Im Not Even On This Thread!!

Dam!!! Thundering

UTH
03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
How Do I Get Ripped And Im Not Even On This Thread!!

Dam!!! Thundering

Didn't mean it as a rip. You are the undisputed king of rants on this board - nobody can deny that with a straight face. I was just using your style as a benchmark to measure TAB's post as a proper rant. It seems that, the more frustrated or angry you are about something, the more those listed characteristics pop out. His post seemed to lack some critical pieces of your style and I tried to point them out to help him improve his game. :innocent:

So long as trying to read posts doesn't make a person's head hurt, there is a natural personality that your style presents that is like no other. It works for you. Don't ever change, lakes.

*tab calls it a tough crowd - i calls it tough competition

By contrast, this precious snowflake
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Standingoutbecauseblendinginoverrat.jpg
is different only for the sake of being different

UTH
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Ooooh yeah, back to the topic...

Methinks that this is the greatest schedule in memory (esp. if it ends with a victory in Chattanooga). It includes a very strong conference schedule, a good non-conference schedule, including an FBS road trip, and hopes alive for a good run at the playoffs. There's nothing to not like.

For Bison Football
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Americasfuturechurchfail.jpg
every day is a happy day

bisoneer
03-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Thanks for the support Montana man!!! I like our situation now with the Gateway Conf. for football and the Summit for other sports. And yes, see you in the playoffs hopefully this year!

WarBison
03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
And yes, see you in the playoffs hopefully this year!

Preferably at our place...