PDA

View Full Version : Bismarck - Laramie Road Trip

UTH
03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Stay in touch on the road trip. I've got 6 or 7 interested in going down, perhaps we can get a nice caravan of green and gold out of Bismarck/Mandan.

Road Trip!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/waynesworldgarthpartyonawesome.gif

Haven't had much luck on my side yet, but it's only been a couple days. I'm hoping that we can get the numbers rolling in by mid-summer. Let's not forget that another bonus is Bismarck's central location in North Dakota. It should make a good rally point for road-trippers from Minot, Devils Lake, and Fargo to join in. I'd say that Everyone's invited.

We can call it the Cowboy Kicker Express, the Wyoming Bison Stampede, whatever... What's important is the places and the faces...

Thoughts on the idea? Let's discuss...

We can take the road less travelled
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Roadmountainkosovodrivingdrivedange.jpg

*not like this sort of trip would be stoopid crazy... http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Wantedadtimetravelernotjokebringown.jpg... or is it?

extremerouge
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
haha that's great! I like the last line on your back in time classified. Also, how would you like to be in the semi on the outside of the two passing!

UTH
03-13-2008, 11:19 PM
haha that's great! I like the last line on your back in time classified. Also, how would you like to be in the semi on the outside of the two passing!

La carretera mas peligrosa del mundo ===> The most dangerous road in the world*... reminded me a lot of Kosovo, so I right-clicked / saved as. [linky (http://javimoya.com/blog/pics/200607/bolivia.htm)]

Back to the topic at hand... How 'bout a head count of people friendly with the concept from the outset?

*ground travellers to baghdad international airport and wartime residents of sniper alley, sarajevo, might callhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/smiliesbsflagbullshit.gif

Swaghook
03-13-2008, 11:50 PM
We're hoping to make the drive from fargo going down on friday and coming back Saturday and sunday. Our route would be through bismarck.

Tatanka
03-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Just out of curiosity, why would you route through western ND and SD instead of taking the interstate all the way (i.e. through Omaha)?

Maybe I'm just too much of a city kid but wouldn't the interstate be a lot less hassle?

Swaghook
03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Just out of curiosity, why would you route through western ND and SD instead of taking the interstate all the way (i.e. through Omaha)?

Maybe I'm just too much of a city kid but wouldn't the interstate be a lot less hassle?

did mapquest for the shortest route. I-29 jogs east and then on the east-west interstate it dips south and then comes back up. I-94 is fairly straight and the road down to spearfish is as well. Then is is a little jog over to a road in WY that is fairly straight down until Douglas.

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Depending on how well you follow speed limits.....

Driving to the western part of ND and then south cuts about 150 miles off the trip from Fargo.

Swaghook
03-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Depending on how well you follow speed limits.....

Driving to the western part of ND and then south cuts about 150 miles off the trip from Fargo.
80 mph on I-94 and 70mph or so on other roads.

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 12:31 AM
did mapquest for the shortest route. I-29 jogs east and then on the east-west interstate it dips south and then comes back up. I-94 is fairly straight and the road down to spearfish is as well. Then is is a little jog over to a road in WY that is fairly straight down until Douglas.

You need to cut over at Spearfish on I-90 to Gillette, then head south to Douglas. :) That's the Highway of a Million Rabbit Deaths. It also seems like you're driving in some really bad, grade-B horror movie. Two towns in about 100 miles (one of which is only a train town), and nary a farmstead or ranch to see from the highway.

Tatanka
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Indeed you are correct. Microsoft MapPoint in its infinite wisdom estimates that I'll save time because of the difference in speed limit on the Interstates, even though its 150 miles longer. :banghead:

via the Black Hills it is.

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM

Yeah, as I said, depending on how you follow speed limits......:D

Tatanka
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
You need to cut over at Spearfish on I-90 to Gillette, then head south to Douglas. :) That's the Highway of a Million Rabbit Deaths. It also seems like you're driving in some really bad, grade-B horror movie. Two towns in about 100 miles (one of which is only a train town), and nary a farmstead or ranch to see from the highway.
Thought that was I-29 from Brookings to Fargo (for football, that is).

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Indeed you are correct. Microsoft MapPoint in its infinite wisdom estimates that I'll save time because of the difference in speed limit on the Interstates, even though its 150 miles longer. :banghead:

via the Black Hills it is.

Wyoming Highway 59, Wyoming Highway 59!!!!!

Actually, that's a decent way back if you want to stop by Devil's Tower.

CarringtonBison
03-14-2008, 12:40 AM
La carretera mas peligrosa del mundo ===> The most dangerous road in the world*... reminded me a lot of Kosovo, so I right-clicked / saved as. [linky (http://javimoya.com/blog/pics/200607/bolivia.htm)]

Back to the topic at hand... How 'bout a head count of people friendly with the concept from the outset?

*ground travellers to baghdad international airport and wartime residents of sniper alley, sarajevo, might callhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/smiliesbsflagbullshit.gif

I have been on/seen the road in Bolivia and route irish. Don't want to see either again!!

I won't hijack the thread again-sorry. I am planning on attending the WYO game.

Tatanka
03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Wyoming Highway 59, Wyoming Highway 59!!!!!

OK, you win. I'll do my part to run up the dead bunny count.

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 12:58 AM
OBEY SPEED LIMITS???? PSH>> YEA RITE!!!

PARTY IN BISMARCK!!! LETS DO THIS ON THE WAY TO WYOMING@!!

Bismarck at noon, laramie at 9. thats our motto.

Swaghook
03-14-2008, 01:00 AM
If I remeber right from the last time I took the route I plan on taking when I went down to denver the road was littered with dead rabbits as well. It is WY after all.

Swaghook
03-14-2008, 01:01 AM

Been there 3 times already I think we can by pass it this time.

MrTitleist
03-14-2008, 01:16 AM
So if you Bison make it down to Laramie.. do you guys do a Bisonville tailgate?

Tatanka
03-14-2008, 01:26 AM
So if you Bison make it down to Laramie.. do you guys do a Bisonville tailgate?
Does the sun rise in the east? :nod: :nod: :nod:

I would also be so bold as to say that it's not a matter of "if". It's a matter of "how many". Bisonville will likely be one of the top 20 cities in Wyoming that weekend!!!

SDbison
03-14-2008, 01:36 AM
If I remeber right from the last time I took the route I plan on taking when I went down to denver the road was littered with dead rabbits as well. It is WY after all.
Now we all know why WYOBISONMAN likes to make rabbit brats (best damn brat I ever ate). He says he has to get like 90 rabbits to make a decent batch of brats (I believe there is elk in the rabbit brats too). Hopefully WYO's rabbits are not picked up on the side of the road. :p

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 02:32 AM
sd bison...... oh gosh.. ur onto something.. or ON SOMETHING

MrTitleist
03-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Does the sun rise in the east? :nod: :nod: :nod:

I would also be so bold as to say that it's not a matter of "if". It's a matter of "how many". Bisonville will likely be one of the top 20 cities in Wyoming that weekend!!!

I'm planning on flying in from Missoula (if the Griz are away or play Cent. Washington) to Denver then coming up for the game.. gotta watch my Pokes win this one. If I can round up some WyoNation guys, we'll be crashin' the Bisonville tailgate, if ya don't mind. I may even try to sneak some Moose Drool. :)

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 03:40 AM
only 1 questiion 4 u........

blondes or brunettes.?

THATS how bisonville tailgate rolls!!!

MrTitleist
03-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Sure! One of those! :)

I've always wanted to tailgate with the Bison fans.. but you guys won't come back to Missoula to hang out with us. Admit it.. our stadium/tailgating is way better! :)

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 04:21 AM
better than laramie????? no idea ....

griz stadium. . . .rocks!!!!!! ill admit that...

fargodome rocks........ someone will post tailgate pics!!!

tjbison
03-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Sure! One of those! :)

I've always wanted to tailgate with the Bison fans.. but you guys won't come back to Missoula to hang out with us. Admit it.. our stadium/tailgating is way better! :)

Why don't you come to Fargo?? Bigger, Better, and yes Better:D would be nice to see the Griz OUTSIDE of WA/Griz for a OOC game in ND.

UTH
03-14-2008, 05:29 AM
More thoughts...

For the sake of keeping things simple and easy to coordinate, just name a time and place to meet, stage, and take off. That way, people who show up late need not worry about holding anything up and should have a good idea how much catching up they have to join up.

By my reckoning, the Spearfish-to-Deadwood area looks to be about halfway. Nine to ten hours can take a while :D and this is supposed to be fun. Anybody know about any relatively quick, group-friendly restaurants in the area?:hungry:

State of South Dakota
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bunnies/SDSUJacksBrookingsBunnyRabbitroadki.jpg
We're coming through...

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 06:06 AM
who's a teammaker in bismarck thats' a bar??

we'll meet there.. NOON friday.. right??

get our asses into laramie 9,10pm ish??

we only got 6 months to plan this.. SO LETS HURRY UP!!!

haha.... nah, not really.. no rush.

WYOBISONMAN
03-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Now we all know why WYOBISONMAN likes to make rabbit brats (best damn brat I ever ate). He says he has to get like 90 rabbits to make a decent batch of brats (I believe there is elk in the rabbit brats too). Hopefully WYO's rabbits are not picked up on the side of the road. :p

Hell no......they are FRESH!!! LOL!

missingnumber7
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Is there someone that can translate Lake's posts for me?

Oh and on the Rte Irish comment...was on Irish, have been on some hairier ones than that...Rte Vanessa, Rte Predators...both through bahqubah...anyway...I wanna go to Laramie.

BISON Thunder
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
who's a teammaker in bismarck thats' a bar??

we'll meet there.. NOON friday.. right??

get our asses into laramie 9,10pm ish??

we only got 6 months to plan this.. SO LETS HURRY UP!!!

haha.... nah, not really.. no rush.

That would be the Elbow Room...

BisManBison
03-14-2008, 01:46 PM
That would be the Elbow Room...

The Elks is also I believe.

BisManBison
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM

More like 80 mph on I-94 and 85 mph on other roads. Once you get going south of Bowman, you won't see another vehicle until you get to Belle Fourche.

Warning, warning: You must be an expert at playing dodge deer if you are going go that fast on the back roads, or in the case of South Dakota and Wyoming, an expert at playing dodge speed goat.

NDPokes
03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Just so you guys know. Do not go through Gillette and Douglas. That is still a "long" route. Once you hit Spearfish head west to Sundance then south to Newcastle on to Lusk. Over to Guernsey then Wheatland. Through the canyon to Laramie. Believe me, this is the shortest and fastest way from Bismarck to Laramie. The drive is 630 miles and should take you driving reasonably about 9 1/2 - 10 hours. It can be done a bit faster but you have to watch for HP's in WY. I've done it many times without seeing any HP's, but also the converse has happened.

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!

We need that insight.. any watering holes along that route??

NDPokes
03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Deadwood is only around 15 miles or so south of Spearfish. You can hit Newcastle by going through the hills from Deadwood and it is only about 50 miles away. Just a lot of curves for those not used to winding roads. Spearfish is a great town, as is Deadwood. Drive through liquor stores are abundant in WY so depending on your preferences??? Laramie is an awesome college town that you will not be disappointed in. Many bars that will treat you to a very good time. Good food, and even better people. The fans are as hospitable as they come as long as treat them the same.

I look forward to adding a WYO insight on here occasionally as the game gets closer.

NDPokes.

go_bison
03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
You have to take 85 thru Bowman, ND "The Gateway to the West". They have great bars (The Crystal, Windy's) and great places to eat (Hawks Landing, Gateway). I am spokesperson for Bowman Tourism (born and raised there). Bowman is about the halfway point between Fargo and Laramie. They also have several hotels. I am looking forward to this road trip!!

BisonBabe
03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Deadwood is only around 15 miles or so south of Spearfish. You can hit Newcastle by going through the hills from Deadwood and it is only about 50 miles away. Just a lot of curves for those not used to winding roads. Spearfish is a great town, as is Deadwood. Drive through liquor stores are abundant in WY so depending on your preferences??? Laramie is an awesome college town that you will not be disappointed in. Many bars that will treat you to a very good time. Good food, and even better people. The fans are as hospitable as they come as long as treat them the same.

I look forward to adding a WYO insight on here occasionally as the game gets closer.

NDPokes.

That will be the route we take.

aces1180
03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
You have to take 85 thru Bowman, ND "The Gateway to the West". They have great bars (The Crystal, Windy's) and great places to eat (Hawks Landing, Gateway). I am spokesperson for Bowman Tourism (born and raised there). Bowman is about the halfway point between Fargo and Laramie. They also have several hotels. I am looking forward to this road trip!!

I went to Bowman numerous times in the mid-90s when my Mandan A's used to take on the Blue Sox in Legion baseball...We always had fun down there hitting on the local girls.

BisManBison
03-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Who wants to ride with me? Ladies first of course.:D

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/cchorne/Rideone.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/cchorne/ridethree.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/cchorne/ridefour.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/cchorne/Ridetwo.jpg

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Just so you guys know. Do not go through Gillette and Douglas. That is still a "long" route. Once you hit Spearfish head west to Sundance then south to Newcastle on to Lusk. Over to Guernsey then Wheatland. Through the canyon to Laramie. Believe me, this is the shortest and fastest way from Bismarck to Laramie. The drive is 630 miles and should take you driving reasonably about 9 1/2 - 10 hours. It can be done a bit faster but you have to watch for HP's in WY. I've done it many times without seeing any HP's, but also the converse has happened.

According to Googlemaps, it only adds about 20 miles to go through Gillette/Douglas, and the view makes it worthwhile IMO(at least if you've never driven that route before). :D

90BISON
03-14-2008, 06:49 PM
More thoughts...

For the sake of keeping things simple and easy to coordinate, just name a time and place to meet, stage, and take off. That way, people who show up late need not worry about holding anything up and should have a good idea how much catching up they have to join up.

By my reckoning, the Spearfish-to-Deadwood area looks to be about halfway. Nine to ten hours can take a while :D and this is supposed to be fun. Anybody know about any relatively quick, group-friendly restaurants in the area?:hungry:

State of South Dakota
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bunnies/SDSUJacksBrookingsBunnyRabbitroadki.jpg
We're coming through...

ROMA'S in Spearfish is an excellent Italian style mid-upper end resturaunt, probably seating for 100+. It's about a block off the main drag running through downtown Spearfish, just a possible suggestion.

NDPokes
03-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Not sure of the view you are speaking about. The ONLY thing you will see on your way to Gillette as you speed by is a somewhat distant view of Devils Tower. Not sure of the 20 miles difference although I find that hard to believe (not you, but googlemaps). To me the only different view you will have on the Gillette route is of more cars, as it is more interstate. Neither rout from Spearfish on to Wheatland offers much to look at, and you will see what I mean when you're driving the long straight stretches trying to stay awake. Scenery drastically changes once you hit Wheatland and cruise through the canyon and hit the high plains.

Bisonguy
03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Not sure of the view you are speaking about. The ONLY thing you will see on your way to Gillette as you speed by is a somewhat distant view of Devils Tower. Not sure of the 20 miles difference although I find that hard to believe (not you, but googlemaps). To me the only different view you will have on the Gillette route is of more cars, as it is more interstate. Neither rout from Spearfish on to Wheatland offers much to look at, and you will see what I mean when you're driving the long straight stretches trying to stay awake. Scenery drastically changes once you hit Wheatland and cruise through the canyon and hit the high plains.

If the scenery and the dead rabbit count are equal, I'd opt for the shorter route. I drove through Gillette on the way back from Colorado to hit Devil's Tower. We saw one other vehicle during the middle of the day driving from Douglas to just outside Gillette. It was a Sheriff in a big arse pickup, who tailgated us for about five miles, passed us doing at least ninety, backed up in the middle of the road, changed direction, and then passed us again doing about ninety again.

UTH
03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
From another thread...

the deadwood jam is the same weekend as the Cowboys game. might be a place worth stopping at on the way or back.......

It looks like this will be on Friday and Saturday, with the hours being described as "all day". Unless "all day" goes into the wee hours of night on Saturday, this is an opportunity that's only available on Friday. Anyone been to this before? There doesn't seem to be much information immediately available on the internets. Either way, it looks like it has a wide range of bands and could be mighty fun.

NDPokes
03-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I know people who attend a lot of the special events in Deadwood and they all are worthwhile. Free beer when you're playing, can't beat that.

tjbison
03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
If the scenery and the dead rabbit count are equal, I'd opt for the shorter route. I drove through Gillette on the way back from Colorado to hit Devil's Tower. We saw one other vehicle during the middle of the day driving from Douglas to just outside Gillette. It was a Sheriff in a big arse pickup, who tailgated us for about five miles, passed us doing at least ninety, backed up in the middle of the road, changed direction, and then passed us again doing about ninety again.

Probably glad to Finally see another car!!

walknroehl
03-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I made this drive a couple years ago to edgemont, SD for my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary. When you cross over from ND to SD there is a long stretch of nothing. I get goosebumps when I think of a long green and yellow caravan on those desolate stretches of road. Clearly we need a helicopter or plane flyover videotaping us. That would be EPIC.

http://www.photomediagroup.com/archive/2005-spring/img/bw-bison.jpg

MrTitleist
03-15-2008, 12:15 AM
When you get to Laramie.. Corona Village, Lovejoys, The Library, Mulligans, and the Ranger are all places worth visiting. A couple of bars across the street from the stadium, and the Holiday Inn Express as well will have a bar, which also is by the stadium. I highly recommend the H.I. Express (my cousin is the general manager) so do stay there! :)

MrTitleist
03-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Why don't you come to Fargo?? Bigger, Better, and yes Better:D would be nice to see the Griz OUTSIDE of WA/Griz for a OOC game in ND.

Definitely not better or bigger. We're adding 2000 more seats on before next season, to push our capacity up to 25K. But yes, I'd love to see a home/home with the Bison. I got tired of watching us bludgeon SDSU.

tjbison
03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Definitely not better or bigger. We're adding 2000 more seats on before next season, to push our capacity up to 25K. But yes, I'd love to see a home/home with the Bison. I got tired of watching us bludgeon SDSU.

Sorry should have stated population wise BIGGER, but i'll stick to better:p But yes Home and home would have kicked butt, maybe some year!

BisonNeil
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
When you get to Laramie.. Corona Village, Lovejoys, The Library, Mulligans, and the Ranger are all places worth visiting. A couple of bars across the street from the stadium, and the Holiday Inn Express as well will have a bar, which also is by the stadium. I highly recommend the H.I. Express (my cousin is the general manager) so do stay there! :)

Do any of those have beer worth drinking, aka, NOT Bud light, Coors light, Miller light and the other brews fu#*ing near water?

TransAmBison
03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Do any of those have beer worth drinking, aka, NOT Bud light, Coors light, Miller light and the other brews fu#*ing near water?
Ahhh, an aristocrat...

Bisonguy
03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Ahhh, an aristocrat...

I was going to say someone with functioning taste buds. :blush:

BisonNeil
03-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Ahhh, an aristocrat...

No, no, no, but good one! I just want my beer to taste like something. Besides, at 7200 ft it will be a cheap buzz and since I won't be drinking very many I may as well make them good.

Mr. Burgundy
03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
That is fine, there won't be any Bud Light left after out tailgate gets to Laramie. Leave the "fancy" stuff to Neil.

Swaghook
03-16-2008, 12:13 AM
That is fine, there won't be any Bud Light left after out tailgate gets to Laramie. Leave the "fancy" stuff to Neil.
Could always make a side trip to Golden and pick up some fresh Killian's Irish Red.

MrTitleist
03-16-2008, 03:58 AM

Well, you'll have your choice of any of the New Belgium (Fat Tire, etc) beers made in Fort Collins, and of the beer made at Odell (Easy Street Wheat) in Fort Collins.. I think Moose Drool can be found a few places down there. Micro's are easy to find.

WYOBISONMAN
03-16-2008, 12:05 PM
The best brew pub to hit after the game.......and the only one in Laramie......is Altitude.....a great place!

sambini
03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Fort Collins brewery is not far away Mr. Burgundy vip tour.

tjbison
03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
There used to be a bar in the little town of Rozet, east of Gillette about 20-30miles on I-90, might not want the wife with at that one though if you know what I mean:p

sambini
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Is it a ballet? Dancing girls etc..

tjbison
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Is it a ballet? Dancing girls etc..

I guess you could say its like a ballet, and yes they are dancing girls!!

UTH
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I made this drive a couple years ago to edgemont, SD for my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary. When you cross over from ND to SD there is a long stretch of nothing. I get goosebumps when I think of a long green and yellow caravan on those desolate stretches of road. Clearly we need a helicopter or plane flyover videotaping us. That would be EPIC.

http://www.photomediagroup.com/archive/2005-spring/img/bw-bison.jpg

That's a novel thought / good idea. I like it. I agree - EPIC would be a good word to describe the right pic. This just might be a good opportunity for Mr. Bisonguy to get his 'outdoor dreamshot'. http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/awesomeheadbangingsmilies.gif You know, I can appreciate a good picture that tells a story.;)

Getting an aircraft to help might be a little stretch, but there should be a good spot (i.e., roadside hill) somewhere along the way. By my thinking, all the picture-taker would have to do would be to cruise ahead a few miles and keep an eye out for a good spot to replicate the pic in the quoted post, road trip style. If a good-sized caravan does indeed sprout up, walknroehl's EPIC picture must be taken.

*properly produced, it could look good in the 09 ffd football intro. it should blow your mindhttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/headexplodesmilies.gif

Bison53
03-16-2008, 06:57 PM
The "Armory" in Greeley, fun place.
I miss playing those guys.

sambini
03-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Diamond Jims downtown Denver was a ++++

Ferd
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM

I've driven the Lusk to Newcastle route several times. Now THERE is the longest 80 mile stretch of hiway in the country. :nod: No towns, no farms/ranches and only one crossroad about halfway. A great short route, if you like sagebrush. ;)

BisonNeil
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
The best brew pub to hit after the game.......and the only one in Laramie......is Altitude.....a great place!

Now you're talking!!! Thanks for the tip.

Burgundy, I am glad I can be here so you have plenty to rip me about.