PDA

View Full Version : Summit League next year...

NDSUstudent
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
If you didn't know already the League next year is going to be stacked, there is a ton of talent coming back. Oakland returns everyone but Cassise and that is good thing because he killed us at the BSA but Jones, Kangas, and Nelson will be tough. IUPUI returns 3 of their 4 top scorers and that includes Summit League POY George Hill. ORU loses a few good players but they don't rebuild they just reload, the big question with them is probably does Sutton move on to greener pastures or not?

After that a few teams could rise from the middle, Centenary returns a solid backcourt, SUU returns four of their top scorers and that includes the very talented Geoff Payne.

UMKC should be about the same, SDSU has a young team but they are still a few years away in my opinion, and WIU will be breaking in a new coach so who knows about them.

IPFW is the only team that should go downhill because they lose everybody. Dane Fife has his work cut out for him and not a lot of money to work with. If you didn't know IPFW has an athletic budget of 4.7 million and their alumni donations to the athletic department summed up to a grand total 100k.

Then of course there is that team that we all know and love. I think the team can compete for the title right now and could be really set if Saul finds a decent power forward. Then of course there is Carlson, who I really like but the team is so deep at the three that he is just more depth. I know a lot of people will focus on the big three but next year I think our depth will be what sets us a part.

To sum it all up, this League next year is top 15 quality. Whoever wins the conference tourney is going to be battled tested and should put a scare in any high seed they have to play. The quality of basketball next year is going to be better then this town or state has ever seen, if you haven't gotten involved in following the team or getting season tickets there is no better time to start then this upcoming season.

bisonhusker
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Nagle will redshirt for NDSU next year.

NDSUstudent
03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Nagle will redshirt for NDSU next year.

I kind of thought he would redshirt, he looks like he has a good frame but it is a big jump from Class 2A ball in Iowa to DI.

silkamilkamonico
03-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Oakland has 4 of the top 10 recruits in the state of Michisgan next year.

Either Michigan is significantly down, or Mich/MSU just aren't recruiting well right now.

That's a scary thought. If anyone of those players step up to a significant role, Oakland is going to be supertough next year.

Greenie
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Refering to Silk's post...ESPN has stepped up their recruiting tracker

Summit League
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/conference?confId=49&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fconference%3fconfId%3d49

silkamilkamonico
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Summit League
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/conference?confId=49&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fconference%3fconfId%3d49

Nice link. It must just be 3 players that Oakland has.

It's nice to see that we're finally on rivals now too.

O-Rizzle 4-Shizzle
03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
that board may be a bit inaccurate.

We got some guys coming in not mentioned there.

Germane
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM
The espn board has it pretty much right for Oakland. We have 3 major recruits so far, not 4, and getting 3 of the top 10 in-state seniors was a big coup for us in the Darwinian recruiting struggle (there are 6 Division 1 programs in Michigan, in addition to the Ohio and Indiana schools). One development not reflected on the espn board is that Blake Cushingberry, who was initially rated slightly lower than Maynard and Thames, exploded during his senior season - averaging 25.5 points, 11.1 boards, 4.6 assists, and 3.2 steals a game in a pretty good league - and there is a lot of local buzz surrounding him now. Maynard and Thames had great senior seasons as well, but Cushingberry is an outstanding shooter and we're hoping he can contribute early by replacing some of the outside firepower we're losing in Cassise.

The Bison were a great addition to the Summit this year, and I agree that the talent level in the league next year should be impressive. I can definitely see NDSU and Oakland having significantly higher RPI's next year, and I expect IUPUI to be at least around the same level with Hill back for his senior year. And while it would be tough for ORU to outdo their great performance this year, I wouldn't put anything past them - especially if Sutton stays around. Good luck to all in the off season (and here's to hoping that ORU represents the Summit in the tourney with a first round win).

Also, for those who don't know, you're welcome to drop in on the OU discussion board (it's not one of those spam-ridden voy boards): http://www.voy.com/173961/

scottheck
03-15-2008, 03:40 AM

Summit League

And, we're the only one with a player listed for '09.

DenverBison05
03-15-2008, 06:45 AM
And, we're the only one with a player listed for '09.

And look at his rank. It awesome to see us getting a pg who ranked #11 in the nation for 2009 by ESPN. :nod:

Mr. Burgundy
03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
That has Nagle at 215....and he is 245 lbs.

NDSUstudent
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
With Flower's signing our lineup is looking very deep next year....

PG-Woodside/Vaughan/Pennick
SG-Nelson/Coleman/Pennick
SF-Winkelman/Tveidt/Carlson
PF-Flowers/Tveidt/Riley
C-Moorman/Sussenguth

If Flowers is the real deal this team could do some damage next year, and I'm not talking about just within the Summit League.

99Bison
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM

PF-Flowers/Tveidt/Riley
C-Moorman/Sussenguth

If Flowers is the real deal this team could do some damage next year, and I'm not talking about just within the Summit League.

OR

PG-Woodside/Vaughan/Coleman/Pennick
SG-Nelson/Carlson/Coleman/Vaughan/Pennick
SF-Winkelman/Carlson/Tveidt
PF-Flowers/Winkelman/Tveidt/Riley
C-Moorman/Sussenguth/Flowers

:D

TheBisonator
04-02-2008, 06:47 PM

PF-Flowers/Tveidt/Riley
C-Moorman/Sussenguth

Imagine us as a 13 seed beating, for example, a 4 seeded Arizona and advancing into the second round. Somebody get me a towel...

ndsubison1
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Oakland has 4 of the top 10 recruits in the state of Michisgan next year.

Either Michigan is significantly down, or Mich/MSU just aren't recruiting well right now.

That's a scary thought. If anyone of those players step up to a significant role, Oakland is going to be supertough next year.

Michigan St. has one of the top recruiting classes in the nation for next year. But still that is pretty impressive by Oakland.

silkamilkamonico
04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Imagine us as a 13 seed beating, for example, a 4 seeded Arizona and advancing into the second round. Somebody get me a towel...

Winning the SUmmit conference tourney is going to be extremely difficult next year.

We aren't the only top tier team that really isn't losing anybody.

Obviously winning the conference tournament will be a goal, but I think it would be amazing if NDSU somehow even made the NIT.

BisonBlogger
04-03-2008, 12:23 AM
It will be difficult to make post season next year considering the strength of certainly Oakland, IUPUI and Oral Roberts. The only thing that may help is that it is a nuetral floor and they have to come to the Soiux Falls. I don't see anyone rolling over the Bison in that situation.

It will be high stakes basketball for sure.

Mr. Burgundy
04-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Hey, lets make sure that Sioux Falls isn't a neutral court. I can't even imagine one game for all the marbles.

NDSUstudent
04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
OR

PG-Woodside/Vaughan/Coleman/Pennick
SG-Nelson/Carlson/Coleman/Vaughan/Pennick
SF-Winkelman/Carlson/Tveidt
PF-Flowers/Winkelman/Tveidt/Riley
C-Moorman/Sussenguth/Flowers

:D

Coleman at the point? Not sure about that, but I've always liked the idea of putting Winks at the 4 against smaller teams and Flowers at Center could be interesting. Don't really know what to think about Carlson, I liked what I saw in the two exhibition games but I don't want to expect too much too soon.

BisonBlogger
04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Carlson is showing he is a gifted scorer, especially around the basket.

IMO, Flowers was a much needed find for defense and rebounding, but Carlson will be providing a much needed scoring punch next year depending on the match ups of course.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Carlson is showing he is a gifted scorer, especially around the basket.

IMO, Flowers was a much needed find for defense and rebounding, but Carlson will be providing a much needed scoring punch next year depending on the match ups of course.

Scoring from Carlson will be a big help, but I don't know how much we should account for him as a freshmen. We've were spoiled with Woody and company as freshmen. That just rarely happens at this level. Remember we we're hoping from big time contributions from Vaughn, and it has taken him a while to get settled in.

Production from Flowers is one thing, but I think any continuous solid production from Carlson as a freshmen is like a bonus.

We don't know how he will do in games as a freshmen.

BisonBlogger
04-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Let's face it, with the exception of Winks who had a brilliant year scoring around the basket, we were sorely lacking in that area because of our bigs having trouble with their touch in the paint area.

With as much as our offense being geared for putting pressure on the defense by getting the ball into the paint area and getting to the line, Carlson should be effective because he has a scorers mentality and has skills around the basket.

Even 4 to 6 points a game by someone like him will make a huge difference next season. It appears Oakland and IUPUI will be adding some more depth. We will need to as well.

X-Factor
04-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Could you say Carlson is similar in playing style to Tveidt? How about outside range? It seemed to me that Tveidt became more and more comfortable with taking outside shots as the season went on. Hopefully we can see some solid improvement from him as well, especially defensively.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Could you say Carlson is similar in playing style to Tveidt? How about outside range? It seemed to me that Tveidt became more and more comfortable with taking outside shots as the season went on. Hopefully we can see some solid improvement from him as well, especially defensively.

From the little I've seen (two exhibition games and one intrasquad scrimmage), Carlson is more similar to Winkelman.