PDA

View Full Version : Kriss McCleary

bisoncraze
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Kriss McCleary was at the Western Regional on Saturday and so was Tyler Johnson. Kriss is a 4time state champion at 215lbs and Johnson is a 3time state champion at 160lbs. Does anyone know if these two are thinking about committing to the Bison?

onbison09
03-12-2008, 02:51 AM
See- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11473&page=2

aces1180
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Kriss is a Bison.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=194659

tcbison
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Kriss is a Bison.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=194659

He is a very good football player as well. He ended up being the 9-man football player of the year and led his team to the state championship game.

BisonAccountant44
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
McCleary, who was a high school All-American finishing fifth in the National High School Coaches Association Junior Nationals in Virginia Beach, Va., said he’ll probably compete at 197.

Just a warning :offtopic:

It's great to have Kris as a Bison, but I feel compeled to rant a little on this one.

This is the part of wrestling that has always bothered me. We didn't have wrestling in high school, but I've been to a few tournaments/duels and have always thought that it's a great sport with great athletes who have to have enormous amounts of talent, dedication, and love for the sport to compete.

My issue though, is here is a kid who has been wrestling at 215#'s for the last 4 years. Sure when he was a Freshman and Sophmore he probably wasn't too worried about making weight there, but as a Junior and Senior I'd venture to guess that he probably hat to work at it at least a little. Now he's supposed to come to college as a Freshman again and cut 18#'s to get down to a weight he hasn't seen since the 8th grade! That just doesn't seem like it can be healthy for a kid at that age to me.

Bison bison
03-12-2008, 06:27 PM
The kid can't drop to 197?

c'mon. it's not like he's a large framed guy standing 6'2" who's being asked to drop to 133.

BisonAccountant44
03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not saying anything about Kris in particular. I have never seen him in person so all I know are the numbers he was at, how long he's been there, and where he's going. For all I know he could've been wrestling at 215, but actually weighs closer to 197 than 215. It's just a pet peeve of mine with wresteling in general with some of the things these kids are asked to put their bodies through.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that everytime I hear about wrestlers cutting weight I think about a guy I knew in high school who wrestled at 103 as a senior, and I just remember the story of him running laps for hours until he finally passed out trying to make weight for the state tournament.

CarringtonBison
03-13-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm not saying anything about Kris in particular. I have never seen him in person so all I know are the numbers he was at, how long he's been there, and where he's going. For all I know he could've been wrestling at 215, but actually weighs closer to 197 than 215. It's just a pet peeve of mine with wresteling in general with some of the things these kids are asked to put their bodies through.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that everytime I hear about wrestlers cutting weight I think about a guy I knew in high school who wrestled at 103 as a senior, and I just remember the story of him running laps for hours until he finally passed out trying to make weight for the state tournament.

The next closest weight class in high school is 189, so he may be at 205-210 right now and to cut 16 to 21 pound may have been too much. In college, we may only be talking about 10 pounds. Don't know, just a thought.

BraxtonT
03-13-2008, 02:04 PM

My pet peeve is people who have not wrestled being so willing to make blanket statements about the sport.

Those who have cut weight the wrong way are the ones who are to blame for this. Rules have been implemented to try to reduce these things from happening, but they do still happen. However, there are those who cut correctly with proper diet and exercise. Unfortunately, these cases are not widely known.

If Kriss is able to cut to 197 safely, he should do it. With his body, he would need to add a lot of weight and strength to be competitive against 285# heavyweights at the DI level.

In this case, it is about being competitive. If he were to weigh around 220-225 pounds, he'd be at a disadvantage. Safely cutting to 197# will allow him to be competitive at the DI level.

Good luck to Kriss. I look forward to cheering for an "Imperial" wearing the Bison singlet.

90BISON
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
My pet peeve is people who have not wrestled being so willing to make blanket statements about the sport.

Those who have cut weight the wrong way are the ones who are to blame for this. Rules have been implemented to try to reduce these things from happening, but they do still happen. However, there are those who cut correctly with proper diet and exercise. Unfortunately, these cases are not widely known.

If Kriss is able to cut to 197 safely, he should do it. With his body, he would need to add a lot of weight and strength to be competitive against 285# heavyweights at the DI level.

In this case, it is about being competitive. If he were to weigh around 220-225 pounds, he'd be at a disadvantage. Safely cutting to 197# will allow him to be competitive at the DI level.

Good luck to Kriss. I look forward to cheering for an "Imperial" wearing the Bison singlet.

In my experience it's almost always about being competitive, and whereever there's a hole or possible hole in the lineup. I had to wrestle @ 126 my senior year @ 6' tall because the guy @ 132 was a multiple time state contender and 138 was too high up, but was closer to my natural weight at the time of about 150. And from a previous poster, I don't recall anyone ever being "asked" to cut weight to get to a particular class, it was always an individual decision. Shortly after I got done I thought they started actually taking body fat measurements and stuff like that, so you aren't having kids dropping weight they don't have to lose. The guys that were really hard on their bodies were the guys that would come in to Monday practice, after the weekend @ 10-15 lbs over. Then they had to work their butts off all week just to get back down. All I know is that within 2 months of wrestling being over I gained 50 lbs.:D

NDFAN2
03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Kriss' record in HS is very impressive. The Bison should look at him for FB as well.

90BISON
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Kriss' record in HS is very impressive. The Bison should look at him for FB as well.

Seasons overlap, especially if we make the post season. But yes, his HS record is very impressive.

onbison09
03-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Word is he's wrestling for the Herd.