PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on going back to Griz country?

4mcruenomore
03-11-2008, 03:35 AM
I haven't been on egriz for quite some time, but I saw something interesting:
Gametime wrote:
My wishful thinking 2009 schedule

road: University of Washington
home: Cal Poly
road: Cal Davis
home: Georgia Southern

If there weren't budget concerns here'd be the sched I'd like to see:

Road (choice of 1): Wyoming/UNLV/Colorado St/Idaho/Boise/Fresno
Road: Cal Davis
Home: Cal Poly
Home (choice of 1): UNI/Deleware/NDSU/McNeese

Nice to see them wanting to play us, but at home. I myself would hope we never go there unless they play at the FFD first, IMO.

tjbison
03-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Gametime wrote:

Nice to see them wanting to play us, but at home. I myself would hope we never go there unless they play at the FFD first, IMO.

Nope, been there done that, they need to head east for the next one, but its their unwillingness to leave the comfy confines of WA/Griz that gets them the patsy schedule tag.

BisonAccountant44
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I'd be more apt to say that when we went out there it was a one time guarentee game with no promised return trip.

To me, as long as the next time we play them it's part of a home & home (with a BIG buy out so we don't end up with another Montana St. situation) it doesn't matter too much if we go there first or they come to Fargo first, but I'd obviously rather see them come to us first.

Bisonguy
03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd be more apt to say that when we went out there it was a one time guarentee game with no promised return trip.

To me, as long as the next time we play them it's part of a home & home (with a BIG buy out so we don't end up with another Montana St. situation) it doesn't matter too much if we go there first or they come to Fargo first, but I'd obviously rather see them come to us first.

That's exactly what it was. Montana fulfilled their contract by giving NDSU a check. I'd like to see a home/home start in Fargo, but they don't owe NDSU anything.

HerdBot
03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Gametime wrote:

We should play Montana every single year and rotate games with them. It's silly we don't because it's a great geographical rivalry and really competitive games. It doesn't get a whole lot better. Problem is I don't trust Montana or Montana State so they have to come here first. They are traveling to Poly but Poly has to go to Montana twice.

I'd like to play Cal Davis or Cal Poly every year because we have a great rivalry with us and they helped us in the transion and the games are always GOOD!

I'd like to see Georgia Southern honor the agreeement. Grambling is always on my list of great games.

Anything Big Ten is a must. But if I had to pick teams on the list I would go with Colorado State.

Bison Dan
03-11-2008, 08:02 PM
We should play Montana every single year and rotate games with them. It's silly we don't because it's a great geographical rivalry and really competitive games. It doesn't get a whole lot better. Problem is I don't trust Montana or Montana State so they have to come here first. They are traveling to Poly but Poly has to go to Montana twice.

I'd like to play Cal Davis or Cal Poly every year because we have a great rivalry with us and they helped us in the transion and the games are always GOOD!

I'd like to see Georgia Southern honor the agreeement. Grambling is always on my list of great games.

Anything Big Ten is a must. But if I had to pick teams on the list I would go with Colorado State.

I'm pretty sure the Georgia Southern is on the 2009 Schedule for a home game.

aces1180
03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

They have to want to play us first, which after 2003, has not been in their plans.

Bison Dan
03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
They have to want to play us first, which after 2003, has not been in their plans.

If someone else started winning the Sky and Cal Poly starts going to the playoffs and they get left out of the playoffs for a couple of years they'll change their tune. As weak as the BSC is now they're a lock to get 1st or 2nd every year and a playoff spot. They have no incentive to change anything.

bisonmike2
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
If someone else started winning the Sky and Cal Poly starts going to the playoffs and they get left out of the playoffs for a couple of years they'll change their tune. As weak as the BSC is now they're a lock to get 1st or 2nd every year and a playoff spot. They have no incentive to change anything.

You are right on. They sell out their house every week and win their weak conference. Why would they want to drop some cash, travel, and pick up a tougher opponent?

Herd
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
If I was GT, game 1 of a home/home with the Griz would be in Fargo, or at least, 6 figure buyout be contracted. What are the chances that the Griz come out from behind the shadows of Washington/Griz to play? Not very good!

Tatanka
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Agreed herd!

Yes, our last game with them was a (very profitable) one-night stand.

Sounds like a good deal, and a great opportunity to involve the western locales in our great state, but travel back to Griz country?

One only needs to recall the total douchebagnitude of their screwing of our hasenpfeffer brethern to the south to quickly formulate a response:

Hell, no.

They can come to the dome for their buttwhooping, and THEN we can negotiate a home-and-home...

CaBisonFan
03-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Gametime wrote:

Their turn to hit the road. A home & home agreement would be acceptable, with them coming to Fargo first.

tjbison
03-12-2008, 02:51 AM

B I N G O !! !! !! !!

Sorry folks in 03 they thought it was a PATSY, NDSU 1 Griz 0, they thought wrong!!!! GO BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonBrewer
03-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Gotta agree with Aces!

After what happened when the patsy came to town. The Griz won't play us unless they are forced to via the playoff route.

They know that we are a lot better now than on that beautiful fall day in Missoula!

heymch86
03-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Gotta agree with Aces!

After what happened when the patsy came to town. The Griz won't play us unless they are forced to via the playoff route.

They know that we are a lot better now than on that beautiful fall day in Missoula!

wouldn't that be something? the first playoff game in the fargodome has the grizzlies coming in? that would be the noisiest the dome has ever been!

tcbison
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
wouldn't that be something? the first playoff game in the fargodome has the grizzlies coming in? that would be the noisiest the dome has ever been!

I don't know if the Griz would ever make it to the Fargodome in the regular season or playoffs. I assume they would just outbid NDSU and the game would be in Montana. Hopefully I am wrong on that but I thought I read that on egriz once. Can anyone confirm that? Bisonguy or Hammersmith? I know Furman was much better than Montana State a couple of years ago and Montana State got the home playoff game.

TransAmBison
03-12-2008, 03:27 AM
I don't know if the Griz would ever make it to the Fargodome in the regular season or playoffs. I assume they would just outbid NDSU and the game would be in Montana. Hopefully I am wrong on that but I thought I read that on egriz once. Can anyone confirm that? Bisonguy or Hammersmith? I know Furman was much better than Montana State a couple of years ago and Montana State got the home playoff game.
Good point, but I think it would take a heckuva bid to outbid NDSU. I would think NDSU could beat there bid. Just my opinion, but this isn't the first time NDSU has been in a playoff system where you bid for home field...

tcbison
03-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Good point, but I think it would take a heckuva bid to outbid NDSU. I would think NDSU could beat there bid. Just my opinion, but this isn't the first time NDSU has been in a playoff system where you bid for home field...

I hope you are right but Montana seats a good 4,000 more than the Fargodome does and that is a lot of extra $$$$.

TransAmBison
03-12-2008, 03:32 AM
I hope you are right but Montana seats a good 4,000 more than the Fargodome does and that is a lot of extra $$$$.
We've got Lakes. 'Nuff said.

tcbison
03-12-2008, 03:34 AM
We've got Lakes. 'Nuff said.

Lakes has the inside scoop? Now I feel better...

4mcruenomore
03-12-2008, 03:36 AM
1990 has been along time ago, and I would think if it came down to a home playoff against them, we'd bid/pay whatever it took. Meaning we are hungry to get back to where we once were, whatever it takes........

tjbison
03-12-2008, 03:38 AM
1990 has been along time ago, and I would think if it came down to a home playoff against them, we'd bid/pay whatever it took.

Don't think you can "PAY" for a home playoff game? Unless the whole NCAA rule concept has changed:confused:

4mcruenomore
03-12-2008, 03:40 AM
So then we couldn't outbid them then???????

TransAmBison
03-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Don't think you can "PAY" for a home playoff game? Unless the whole NCAA rule concept has changed:confused:
Yes, you pay for home playoff games in FCS.

CaBisonFan
03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
That's exactly what it was. Montana fulfilled their contract by giving NDSU a check. I'd like to see a home/home start in Fargo, but they don't owe NDSU anything.

I totally agree that they don't owe us anything...but I still would want a home & home, and like others here, do the first one in Fargo. We're on equal ground with them now, so we can deal with them in that way.

Each team would benefit equally...not sure of the finances, but at least in terms of playing a quality team in a bordering state. It used to be a big rivalry to play UM or MSU. HUGE

bisonmike2
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM

I got giddy with excitement at the thought of having Montana come into Fargo for a playoff game. The electricty of that game would be more than every other game (in any sport) I have ever personally attended.

mebisonII
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I got giddy with excitement at the thought of having Montana come into Fargo for a playoff game. The electricty of that game would be more than every other game (in any sport) I have ever personally attended.

No kidding. Realistic or not, I got chills thinking of that :hungry:

Hammersmith
03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Just to clear up any confusion, the playoff pairings go something like this. A week prior to the selection of teams, schools have the opportunity to submit bids for hosting playoff games. Boiled down, a school might bid x dollars for a first round game, y dollars for a second round game, and z dollars for a third round game. Those bids are put aside until Selection Sunday.

On Selection Sunday, the selection committee first decides on the eight at-large teams to join the eight autobids. Next, they seed the top four teams. The 1st and 2nd seeds are guaranteed home field through the first three rounds. The 3rd and 4th seeds are guaranteed home field through the first two rounds, and possibly the third round if the 1st or 2nd seed has been knocked off in their half of the bracket.

For pairings, the 4 seeds are first paired with the schools closest to them. After that, the remaining 12 teams are also paired together through geography. The only hard rule is that teams from the same conference cannot meet during the first round. While the four games involving the seeds are taken care of, the location of the remaining six games are determined by the bids that were placed a week before. The school with the highest bid gets the game. This is repeated after every round is completed to determine the location of the next round's games.

As to the location of an NDSU/Montana game, if NDSU is seeded and Montana is not(and they are both in the same half of the bracket), the game will be in Fargo no matter the bids. The reverse also applies. If neither team is a top-4 seed, the school with the higher bid gets the game. Montana, with the larger stadium, has the advantage, but NDSU has shown a willingness to risk losing money if it's deemed to be worth it(televising FSN games and the Bison Radio Network).

If the 20-team playoff is approved, most of this will go out the window in 2009, but it should still apply for 2008.

BISON Thunder
03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Just to clear up any confusion, the playoff pairings go something like this. A week prior to the selection of teams, schools have the opportunity to submit bids for hosting playoff games. Boiled down, a school might bid x dollars for a first round game, y dollars for a second round game, and z dollars for a third round game. Those bids are put aside until Selection Sunday.

On Selection Sunday, the selection committee first decides on the eight at-large teams to join the eight autobids. Next, they seed the top four teams. The 1st and 2nd seeds are guaranteed home field through the first three rounds. The 3rd and 4th seeds are guaranteed home field through the first two rounds, and possibly the third round if the 1st or 2nd seed has been knocked off in their half of the bracket.

For pairings, the 4 seeds are first paired with the schools closest to them. After that, the remaining 12 teams are also paired together through geography. The only hard rule is that teams from the same conference cannot meet during the first round. While the four games involving the seeds are taken care of, the location of the remaining six games are determined by the bids that were placed a week before. The school with the highest bid gets the game. This is repeated after every round is completed to determine the location of the next round's games.

As to the location of an NDSU/Montana game, if NDSU is seeded and Montana is not(and they are both in the same half of the bracket), the game will be in Fargo no matter the bids. The reverse also applies. If neither team is a top-4 seed, the school with the higher bid gets the game. Montana, with the larger stadium, has the advantage, but NDSU has shown a willingness to risk losing money if it's deemed to be worth it(televising FSN games and the Bison Radio Network).

If the 20-team playoff is approved, most of this will go out the window in 2009, but it should still apply for 2008.
Great post, Hammer.

MrTitleist
03-12-2008, 11:33 PM
20 teams is too many...

BisonNeil
03-13-2008, 02:16 AM

Actually, it was Montana State that wrote the check to get out of coming to Fargo. Montana wouldn't agree to a home-home back in 2003.

Bisonguy
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Actually, it was Montana State that wrote the check to get out of coming to Fargo. Montana wouldn't agree to a home-home back in 2003.

Actually, it was Montana that completely fulfilled their contract by paying NDSU the guarantee on the contract. A lot of people believe that Montana 'owes' NDSU a game in Fargo. They don't, it was a guarantee game. If that's the case, NDSU 'owes' Valpo and Northeastern games.

Montana State is an entirely different issue. They double-booked their return date with NDSU with Dixie State, said they'd try to honor the return trip at a later date, ending up paying out the meager buyout clause, and said they may try to honor the return trip again. They fulfilled their portion, I guess, but more than slightly unethical, IMO.

tcbison
03-13-2008, 02:55 AM
The crazy thing is that Montana State hasn't finished their schedule for this year yet and if they wanted to honor the return trip to Fargo they surely could have by now. This year they are playing at Minnesota and have a DII along with a possible game with South Dakota at home(DII counter this year). If that is how their schedule finishes out they will essentially schedule themselves out of the playoff unless they win the Big Sky. It seems like they like their home games and their FBS game.

tjbison
03-13-2008, 04:31 AM
I think we should just leave the Montana schools alone, if we meet in the playoffs perfect, lets get Mcneese to the FFD, Delaware, Appy, Poly, Umass, Maine etc. Lots of other teams better than UM and MSU. We all know that the GRIZ AND BOBCATS don't migrate well!

OldBison
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Actually, it was Montana that completely fulfilled their contract by paying NDSU the guarantee on the contract. A lot of people believe that Montana 'owes' NDSU a game in Fargo. They don't, it was a guarantee game. If that's the case, NDSU 'owes' Valpo and Northeastern games.

Montana State is an entirely different issue. They double-booked their return date with NDSU with Dixie State, said they'd try to honor the return trip at a later date, ending up paying out the meager buyout clause, and said they may try to honor the return trip again. They fulfilled their portion, I guess, but more than slightly unethical, IMO.

Nope, you're wrong. We never had a home:home contract with Montana, only Montana State. We went to Missoula knowing full well there would NEVER be a Griz coming to Fargo.

MN_BISON
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Nope, you're wrong. We never had a home:home contract with Montana, only Montana State. We went to Missoula knowing full well there would NEVER be a Griz coming to Fargo.

Hey OldBison, I think you need to go back and read Bisonguy's post again because you are saying the same thing he did in his post. :nod:

OldBison
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey OldBison, I think you need to go back and read Bisonguy's post again because you are saying the same thing he did in his post. :nod:

That's possible. He said "That's exactly what it was. Montana fulfilled their contract by giving NDSU a check. I'd like to see a home/home start in Fargo, but they don't owe NDSU anything." I interpreted that to mean we had a home:home contract with them and they paid us off not to come to Fargo. We did get paid to go there, as all teams do when they play on the road for OC games. So, to me it implied that there was a home:home contract, it that is not what BisonGuy meant, then my bad.:hide:

DenverBison05
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
That's possible. He said "That's exactly what it was. Montana fulfilled their contract by giving NDSU a check. I'd like to see a home/home start in Fargo, but they don't owe NDSU anything." I interpreted that to mean we had a home:home contract with them and they paid us off not to come to Fargo. We did get paid to go there, as all teams do when they play on the road for OC games. So, to me it implied that there was a home:home contract, it that is not what BisonGuy meant, then my bad.:hide:

No, all he was saying was that Montana paid us to come out there and play one games against them, just like WYoming is doing this year.

Bisonguy
03-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Yeah, I was stating that Montana was strictly a guarantee game. Montana State was a home/home with a WAY too small buyout clause (that's more Gene's fault- hope he learned from it at least).

I'm just disputing the mentality with some people that feel Montana 'owes' us a game back in Fargo. Given Montana's track record, a home/home should start in Fargo, just to make sure NDSU actually gets a home game.

BigBison
03-13-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd liked to see one of these games here at Fargo either UM or MSU. The whole MSU thing pissed us off last year because it was hard schedule good home games in the Great West. But now were in the Gateway and get some awesome home games every year, so its not such a big deal anymore.

Hammerhead
03-19-2008, 03:01 AM
The only time the Montana schools will visit NDSU (or UND) is if they have to travel for a playoff game.

Jdubs21
03-19-2008, 03:18 AM
pussies....maybe we should get some more sheep around here :) lol

MontanaBisonFan
03-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Given Montana's track record, a home/home should start in Fargo, just to make sure NDSU actually gets a home game.

The Griz are capable buying their way out of the first game if it was in Fargo if they get a chance to play a lower level division II instead.

Forget the Griz they won't come.
But I think the Bobcats will come.