PDA

View Full Version : New QB under center....????

02Bison
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
How much will Steve Walker's absence from under center be noticed this upcoming season?

Jdubs21
03-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I honestly dont think it will be as bad as alot of people think, will we ever be able to replace a steve walker???? probly not, but with our Offensive line and Running game, i highly doubt our quarterback will be under much pressure, mertens is gonna raise some heads i have a feeling, the only part of our game i am worried about is our special teams

tjbison
03-11-2008, 01:49 AM
I honestly dont think it will be as bad as alot of people think, will we ever be able to replace a steve walker???? probly not, but with our Offensive line and Running game, i highly doubt our quarterback will be under much pressure, mertens is gonna raise some heads i have a feeling, the only part of our game i am worried about is our special teams

I agree, don't think we will see major dropoff, but the D-line is my worry!

56BISON73
03-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Im sure there were the same worries when Bentrim and a few other storied QBs left. PL

4mcruenomore
03-11-2008, 03:21 AM
I have to agree with PL on this one, I'm sure people in bisonland were freaking when #1 graduated, then along came #10, etc....and we've had some pretty good QB's since Simdorn. I think we'll be just fine.

sambini
03-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Nick will be just fine. He is a winner and will get the job done++

EagleBison
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Might not have the miracle comebacks as often without Walker, but a Mertens led team, with all the vets coming back, could score a lot of points if the coaches let them.

TransAmBison
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I think the Wyo game is going to be a tough one. My guess is they will throw everybody at the offensive line to stop the run. My guess is they will key in on the run with a rookie QB and make him beat them. Mark my words, that game will depend on Mertens arm. The run may open up, but only if Mertens burns them early.

aces1180
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I think the Wyo game is going to be a tough one. My guess is they will throw everybody at the offensive line to stop the run. My guess is they will key in on the run with a rookie QB and make him beat them. Mark my words, that game will depend on Mertens arm. The run may open up, but only if Mertens burns them early.

This is true...It will only be his third game as a starter...I expect a lot of slants to Heck, drags to Wurzbacher and dumps to Roehl to start out the game....Kind of like Tyler's first TD run last year against the Gophers...I just hope our defense plays like they did have been known to do.

bisonmike2
03-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Not worried. Merterns could be average and we will be okay. Studs returning at almost every skill position, a solid o-line, and a defense that should be able to neutralize some mistakes. I can't wait for the season to begin.

TransAmBison
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Not worried. Merterns could be average and we will be okay. Studs returning at almost every skill position, a solid o-line, and a defense that should be able to neutralize some mistakes. I can't wait for the season to begin.
Average qb's don't see a lot of playing time in the playoffs.

bisonmike2
03-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Average qb's don't see a lot of playing time in the playoffs.

I'm just saying we don't need him to turn water into wine. He could be average and we will still win alot of games. I'm not seeing Mertens having to go 32-45 for 400 yards and 4 td's. Teams will have to pick a poison. Try to stop our running game, risk single coverage on our WR and TE's. He can be conservative with the ball, not make mistakes and we could go far in the playoffs.

Tatanka
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Not to be overly sentimental but could you imagine the field day Drago would have punting in the thin air???

(In practice, of course, I'm not planning on needing a punter during the game. :))

TransAmBison
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm just saying we don't need him to turn water into wine. He could be average and we will still win alot of games. I'm not seeing Mertens having to go 32-45 for 400 yards and 4 td's. Teams will have to pick a poison. Try to stop our running game, risk single coverage on our WR and TE's. He can be conservative with the ball, not make mistakes and we could go far in the playoffs.
Oh, I understand you now. I can agree with that.

OldBison
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I have no worries about Mertens. I agree, we will be fine.

After Mertens in the depth chart, now there is reason for concern, IMO. I hope we have a very athletic LT to replace Safe and protect Mertens blind side.

X-Factor
03-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I have no worries about Mertens. I agree, we will be fine.

After Mertens in the depth chart, now there is reason for concern, IMO. I hope we have a very athletic LT to replace Safe and protect Mertens blind side.

My best guess is that Buckman will move over from RT. He was all-conference last fall and appears to be really athletic for a man his size.

SDbison
03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
My best guess is that Buckman will move over from RT. He was all-conference last fall and appears to be really athletic for a man his size.
I don't worry about the O-line as much as I worry about how fast Mertens can take the reigns and be a confident QB that will make good decisions and execute consistently. Walker demonstrated his confidence in the first game he got significant play time (when he almost pulled off the comeback victory at Northern Colorado). Mertens has not shown anywhere near that kind of confidence yet. As for back ups, I hope the kid from San Diego can get up to speed fast and be prepared to have his red shirt yanked if needed.

bisonmike2
03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't worry about the O-line as much as I worry about how fast Mertens can take the reigns and be a confident QB that will make good decisions and execute consistently. Walker demonstrated his confidence in the first game he got significant play time (when he almost pulled off the comeback victory at Northern Colorado). Mertens has not shown anywhere near that kind of confidence yet. As for back ups, I hope the kid from San Diego can get up to speed fast and be prepared to have his red shirt yanked if needed.

Who would of thought we were watching a legend being born during that game? Confident QB. That's exactly what he needs to be.

BisonNeil
03-14-2008, 02:58 AM

I think that might happen also, but when I suggested that very thing a month or so ago on Bisonsports, I got filleted pretty badly. We'll see what happens.

Jdubs21
03-14-2008, 04:24 AM
SD Bison---"Mertens has not shown anywhere near that kind of confidence yet."

first of all he has never had the opportunity..but his stats for last year were 10-14 for 144yds and a TD....not to bad for about 10 minutes of playing time if u ask me

99Bison
03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Who would of thought we were watching a legend being born during that game? Confident QB. That's exactly what he needs to be.

It was actually kind of evident... I remember the discussions after the game we had. "Will Bohl be gutsy enough to start him yet? Probably not." Then we had the same discussion every remaining game until game 8 or whenever he finally got in.

99Bison
03-14-2008, 05:06 AM
SD Bison---"Mertens has not shown anywhere near that kind of confidence yet."

first of all he has never had the opportunity..but his stats for last year were 10-14 for 144yds and a TD....not to bad for about 10 minutes of playing time if u ask me

Agreed. Give him half a chance before questioning. He sounds and has a history of being plenty confident.

lakesbison
03-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Do I Have To Bring Up The Hs Stats Of The 2004 Minnesota Gatorade Player Of The Year Again/.../???????????

Stop It Sdbison!!!

Mertens Is Gonna Be A Freakin Star.... Taller Than Walker, Faster Than Walker And A Stronger Arm Then Walker....

Walker Had The Heart, Moxie, Elway-like Comebacks And Skill.... Lets Hope He Passed That Onto Mertens!!!

tcbison
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I can't say for sure how Mertens will be but I remember last year when a lot of people didn't think we could replace Kyle Steffes. Tradition never graduates!!

rutlandbison
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
We shouldn't worry so much. Mertens is gonna be a freakin stud back there. Steve was a great QB this we know, but Mertens has more athletic ability than Steve did and i think he is gonna be great.

tjbison
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I can't say for sure how Mertens will be but I remember last year when a lot of people didn't think we could replace Kyle Steffes. Tradition never graduates!!

Very good point!

bisondad
03-14-2008, 03:54 PM

That's exactly what I thought. Kyle was great, and I figured nobody would replace him. Guess again. I do hope we continue to run the ball strong, because that will definately take some pressure off of Mertens. But, one reason we could run the ball is that coaches knew Walker would light them up if they didn't repect the pass. I think coaches will gamble a bit and make Mertens throw to see how he is under pressure. You can see in a hurry (Minnesota Vikings) that all the running game in the world won't work for long if there is no passing game. Mertens has some huge shoes to fill. I hope he is up to the task.

Jdubs21
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
tradition never graduates is prolly the best way you could ever sum up our graduating players and their replacements...nicely said

Scooter1
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
That's exactly what I thought. Kyle was great, and I figured nobody would replace him. Guess again. I do hope we continue to run the ball strong, because that will definately take some pressure off of Mertens. But, one reason we could run the ball is that coaches knew Walker would light them up if they didn't repect the pass. I think coaches will gamble a bit and make Mertens throw to see how he is under pressure. You can see in a hurry (Minnesota Vikings) that all the running game in the world won't work for long if there is no passing game. Mertens has some huge shoes to fill. I hope he is up to the task.

bisondad, you make a good point. Teams can't rely strictly on the run. But, using the Vikings as an example.....:smh:

In comparing the two programs (Vikes/Bison) the Bison record speaks for itself. However, one has to wonder if the Vikes will ever win a superbowl. (the answer is a huge NO...and I'm a huge Vikes fan.) The Vikes coaching staff flat out stinks while the Bison's are top notch.

If I were to compare the QB's I would say to Mertens, "Young man, I have seen T Jackson play ball on TV. I have seen him play ball at the Metrodome. You sir, are no T Jackson, and all of Bisonville thank God every night for this fact." ;)

I'm excited to find out how good this kid really is. I have the feeling that if Walker had gone down to injury, we would have been just fine with Mertens at the helm. That being said, I think that Walker was one of the elite QBs to wear a Bison uniform.

SDbison
03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Agreed. Give him half a chance before questioning. He sounds and has a history of being plenty confident.
I am not questioning without observation. I have seen Mertens last year during a practice, at the spring game and in highlights of the Mississippi Valley State game. From those situations he did not appear to have the confidence thing going yet. Walker was unusual and I don't expect Mertens to get up to speed as fast as him. That is MY opinion. Did I SAY ANYTHING about not giving Mertens a chance. The QB situation is what it is this year. Not good since NDSU has a very inexperienced QB taking over. Just because he was very good in high school doesn't mean he will translate into an excellent college QB. I hope everything works out well, but you have to be a bit realistic folks.

AEBison1998
03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I think that mentioning good coaching is a good point. It seems the coaches have done a nice job in the past of tweaking the offense to use players talents. With a more mobile quarterback I see them running some different QB option stuff that will keep the defense guessing. If there are more of those types of plays in the playbook maybe Parsons will work in and out of that role next year some too. There are different ways to keep the defense from zeroing in on our strengths and the coaches have done a nice job of this in the past. I'm excited to see what kind of wrinkles they put in to play to Mertin's strengths.

AEBison1998
03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
SD's observations on confidence is true. Confidence is huge when it comes to winning games down the stretch. A lot of you guys might be like me and played a little ball in high school (not nearly talented enough to play in college). When we were freshman or sophmores we got beat on by the varsity each day in practise and felt very out of place when we got in at the end of a game. But then at the beginning of our junior year we move into a starting role and regularly play with the varsity. By the time the first game starts it feels very natural. All of the games we won in the JV ranks are in our minds and that new role is natural. That was my experience. It felt very natural and comfortable. I see that happening with Mertins as well. He has had a lot of success in his past. He will remember that success and have the confidence. That is my thought. I have worries for next year but it isn't at QB. I'm excited for April 17th.

56BISON73
03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
SD's observations on confidence is true. Confidence is huge when it comes to winning games down the stretch. A lot of you guys might be like me and played a little ball in high school (not nearly talented enough to play in college). When we were freshman or sophmores we got beat on by the varsity each day in practise and felt very out of place when we got in at the end of a game. But then at the beginning of our junior year we move into a starting role and regularly play with the varsity. By the time the first game starts it feels very natural. All of the games we won in the JV ranks are in our minds and that new role is natural. That was my experience. It felt very natural and comfortable. I see that happening with Mertins as well. He has had a lot of success in his past. He will remember that success and have the confidence. That is my thought. I have worries for next year but it isn't at QB. I'm excited for April 17th.

Well said!!! PL

BisonNeil
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Exactly.

I remember what Nate Safe's parents told us during an alumni event before one of the away games this year.

When Sam Houston went up and the Bison had only 27 sec left, or some sick amount, Walker went into the huddle and said "Believe guys, believe."

Nate said, everyone calmed down and, they believed.

That my friends, is confidence.

SDbison
03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Exactly.

I remember what Nate Safe's parents told us during an alumni event before one of the away games this year.

When Sam Houston went up and the Bison had only 27 sec left, or some sick amount, Walker went into the huddle and said "Believe guys, believe."

Nate said, everyone calmed down and, they believed.

That my friends, is confidence.

Those who can get others to feel their confidence (especially in bad situations) are leaders. Walker was an excellent leader, a very good athlete, a great decision maker, and a winner at the collegiate football level.
Mertens has a lot to prove.

02Bison
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Here's to Mertens proving he's a leader!

Mr. Burgundy
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
4th year Junior, Mr. Football in MN, learned from potentially the best QB in Bison history, coaching staff is in tact, UNREAL running game, fantastic line, additional playmakers at wide receiver, best group of TE's in 1AA football.........I think Mr. Mertins will be better than expected.

He was a HUGE recruit for us to get, huge luxury for him to learn from Walker.

X-Factor
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
4th year Junior, Mr. Football in MN, learned from potentially the best QB in Bison history, coaching staff is in tact, UNREAL running game, fantastic line, additional playmakers at wide receiver, best group of TE's in 1AA football.........I think Mr. Mertins will be better than expected.

He was a HUGE recruit for us to get, huge luxury for him to learn from Walker.

yeah, I'll add that recruits like Mertens usually don't have to wait 4 years to start at their position. I think it is unreal that we have a 4th year recruit the caliber of Mertens to step into a starting QB role this fall. Mertens probably has been ready for a long time, and that is something that you have a hard time discerning from practices and a few minutes of mop up duty on the field. Walker was never really outstanding in practice either, but he showed it out on the field where it matters most. And don't think for a minute that Mertens doesn't have any pressure on his shoulders to improve his game. Not only all of this message board talk(players do read this you know! Very often in fact!) but knowing your going to quarterback a team in front of 20k rabid fans expecting the playoffs is motivation enough to work hard to excel and get the job done.

I think we might find this to be a similar situation to what happened when Steffes graduated not too long ago! All of the tools are there for the guy to flourish like crazy.

BisonNeil
03-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Just one more time for me, I am not in the least bit worried about Mertens being a very good QB. I really believe he will be. I just hope he stays healthy and can play 30 games in a row to finish out his career :)

BlueBisonRock
03-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Those who can get others to feel their confidence (especially in bad situations) are leaders. Walker was an excellent leader, a very good athlete, a great decision maker, and a winner at the collegiate football level.
Mertens has a lot to prove.

To steal a quote:

Believe guys, believe."

X-Factor
03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Just one more time for me, I am not in the least bit worried about Mertens being a very good QB. I really believe he will be. I just hope he stays healthy and can play 30 games in a row to finish out his career :)

30 games. I like it! now THAT is some optimism!