PDA

View Full Version : Deep thoughts, by Tatanka.

Tatanka
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
OK. So I'm at the Winter Show Rodeo in Valley City this afternoon and the "featured entertainment" is a guy with one arm on a horse, a massive horse trailer, and two trained (full size) BISON. The guy rides around on the horse, up a ramp, and then stands on top of the horse on top of the horse trailer. So I'm thinking, yay, good for the dude with one arm. But then, he gets down, rides around a couple of times, whistles, and the BISON run up the ramp and stop on top of the horse trailer. And then it hits me: if a dude with one arm can get two BISON to run up a ramp onto a horse trailer just by whistling, certainly we can find a way to get a live mascot in teh Fargodome for pre-game.

Discuss.

travelingbison
03-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Tatanka, or anyone for that matter, what is the reason for no bison at football games?!?

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the Dome Nazi's would consider it too much like a horse, thinking it would poop on the field......

......which we all know would never happen, because all bison have been trained to poop on ladies up north named Sue.....by that same one arm man... :D

lakesbison
03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I 2nd the nomination for LIVE BISON at the DOME.

Colorado never has a problem, do they?

bisonhusker
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
One girl got ran over by the Bison at Colorado years ago. If I remember correctly she fell in front of the Bison as they would run out and lead the Bison onto the field. Chearleader. probably some form of liability concern.

UTH
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I would say that any liability concerns would likely take care of themselves if the handlers properly keep control and don't do certain things like point the beast at places where people are standing, etc... just keep control. The only prohibitive issues that I see are the logistical aspect (maintaining, support within the FFD, etc.), and trampling poop on the turf in the FFD. They're already stingy enough with the turf - just imagine how much more quickly it would age with a buffalo running around and crapping on it.

Darn good idea, though. Tatanka probably just posted what many have been thinking.

bisonaudit
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
The idea of 'controlling' a Bison is pretty laughable. I think the most you can reasonably hope for is 'influencing.'

Any word on how the wrangler at the wintershow lost that arm in the first place?

Tatanka
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Here's the info (http://www.theonearmbandit.net/john_payne)...

UTH
03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
The idea of 'controlling' a Bison is pretty laughable. I think the most you can reasonably hope for is 'influencing.'

:D Meh. It's been done before. :D
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/kingkongcage.jpg

*just 'influence' it properly

lakesbison
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! swweeeet!!!! pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bisonmike2
03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I like the idea of a live mascot but where would Zeke (that's the name I'd push for) go after the initial intro? There's no a lot of room on the sidelines.

lakesbison
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
in front of section 20 to police them. and intimidate the opposing team.

sambini
03-12-2008, 01:56 AM
West parking lot to Thors party. He can watch the game on the plasma in the truck.

HooliganBison
03-12-2008, 04:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K50U0-OY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4WBinOxBQ&feature=related

Not the best videos but I've seen them do it quite a few times(also a Husker fan). If the dome nazi's would ok it, there is no reason we could not control one. My other observation is that their buffalo looks a little small, but I've never been up close with one.

Bisonguy
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K50U0-OY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4WBinOxBQ&feature=related

Not the best videos but I've seen them do it quite a few times(also a Husker fan). If the dome nazi's would ok it, there is no reason we could not control one. My other observation is that their buffalo looks a little small, but I've never been up close with one.

They use a smaller, female bison because they're easier to control (think cow vs. bull). A male bison would probably stampede the sidelines and end up goring somebody.

BisonCountry
03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
John Payne Show (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-p5ZzhTOerw)

Bisonguy
03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
John Payne Show (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-p5ZzhTOerw)

ROFLMAO- Yeah, I can see a couple members of the cheer team handling a big bull like that. :rofl:

Leonardite
03-13-2008, 04:32 AM
NDSU tried....anyone remember "Wooly Bully?" And yes, it was during the Fargodome era.

SDbison
03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought NDSU had a small live Bison at Dakotah Field back in the late 70's or early 80's. Anybody else recall? Maybe this occurred elsewhere, but I also remember the little Bison once broke loose and got hung up on the chain link fence that surrounded the field. Or just maybe I was drinking too much, blacked out and think something like this happened.

aces1180
03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I thought NDSU had a small live Bison at Dakotah Field back in the late 70's of early 80's. Anybody else recall? Maybe this occurred elsewhere, but I also remember the little Bison once broke loose and got hung up on the chain link fence that surrounded the field. Or just maybe I was drinking too much, blacked out and think something like this happened.

I heard it was a bull...And it tried to ram a gate, but broke its neck...Then they needed a payloader to remove its body before the game...This would have been during the Wacker era...I was too young to remember this, but I have heard stories.

Anybody know if I am on the right track?

SDbison
03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
I heard it was a bull...And it tried to ram a gate, but broke its neck...Then they needed a payloader to remove its body before the game...This would have been during the Wacker era...I was too young to remember this, but I have heard stories.

Thanks, sounds vaguely familiar. I was there when that happened, but don't recall much as I was a student at the time and pre-game drinking got the best of me. My guess is it would have happened in 1977 or 1978. I thought it rammed the fence on the west end of the field?

Bisonguy
03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
NDSU tried....anyone remember "Wooly Bully?" And yes, it was during the Fargodome era.

Was that the calf outside for tailgating?

Leonardite
03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Was that the calf outside for tailgating?

I'm pretty fuzzy on the details myself, which is why I was hoping someone would remember more clearly. One year at halftime in the dome of a game (almost sure it was against Mankato) they had a young Bison run from end zone to end zone and they announced that it's name was "Wooly Bully." I believe there was some sort of an insinuation that was going to be a mascot of some sort, but that eventually liability issues quashed the idea and the live Bison was never seen again. This was at least ten years ago, so hopefully someone remembers the specifics around this situation better than me.

Bisonguy
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty fuzzy on the details myself, which is why I was hoping someone would remember more clearly. One year at halftime in the dome of a game (almost sure it was against Mankato) they had a young Bison run from end zone to end zone and they announced that it's name was "Wooly Bully." I believe there was some sort of an insinuation that was going to be a mascot of some sort, but that eventually liability issues quashed the idea and the live Bison was never seen again. This was at least ten years ago, so hopefully someone remembers the specifics around this situation better than me.

That's not what I was thinking of. They had a calf (or maybe two) outside the Fargodome for tailgating at the Valpo game.

roadwarrior
03-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Aces, you are correct. The West Fargo Stockyards would donate a bull to NDSU each year at the first game. This was the final time a live one was shown to highlight the donation.