PDA

View Full Version : West Regional on Saturday!!!!!!!!!

onbison09
03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
The BSA holds the West Regional on Saturday to determine who will go to the Big Dance. Tickets are $6 for kids and $12 for adults. Come out and support your Bison and watch the first championship event in the D1 era. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11989&SPID=701&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1404739

DIGRAPPLER
03-06-2008, 12:57 AM
There will be some good wrestling at the BSA on Saturday! I think it is a pretty big deal to have a NCAA regional at NDSU. Granted it is not basketball but it is a NCAA regional. Hopefully Bucky can have some of his guys advance again. It would be nice to have a nice home crowd for Bucky and his guys.

BraxtonT
03-06-2008, 04:59 AM
How many qualifiers from this regional? How many of these are automatic? How many are going to be 'wild cards'?

roadwarrior
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
I think there are 20 qualifiers. The 10 weight class winners plus 10 at large picked by the coaches.

Hammersmith
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
How many qualifiers from this regional? How many of these are automatic? How many are going to be 'wild cards'?

Road is correct about the 20. As for AQ vs WC, there are two options that are voted on by the coaches. Option A sends all first and second place finishers. Option B sends all first place finishers plus 10 wrestlers selected by the coaches who have finished no lower than fourth place. The vote to decide which option is to be used must be taken before the meeting that determines the seeding for the tournament. I don't know if the vote has happened yet or what the result might be. Also, Option A is the default choice if the vote is tied or if no vote is taken.

Edit: According to to the NDSU press release, it looks like the coaches chose Option B and will choose the 10 at-large wrestlers after the tournament.

TheBisonator
03-07-2008, 04:59 AM
I don't know anything about wrestling, so I'll ask: What does a team usually have to do to win an NCAA team national championship?? I ask because there's individual stuff muddled in with team stuff that I've never been able to figure out.

CarringtonBison
03-07-2008, 05:04 AM
I don't know anything about wrestling, so I'll ask: What does a team usually have to do to win an NCAA team national championship?? I ask because there's individual stuff muddled in with team stuff that I've never been able to figure out.

Each individual wrestler is granted points for a win (pin, major decision, etc.) and a certain number of points for placing (more for first, less for second, and so forth). The team with the most points (all wrestlers from that team added together) wins and go home happy. Quick and easy version.

BraxtonT
03-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Each individual wrestler is granted points for a win (pin, major decision, etc.) and a certain number of points for placing (more for first, less for second, and so forth). The team with the most points (all wrestlers from that team added together) wins and go home happy. Quick and easy version.

When will your "Wrestling Scoring for Dummies" be available in bookstores?

TheBisonator
03-07-2008, 05:43 AM

Thanks. My high school was the only public high school in Minnesota to not have a wrestling team, so I've never caught on to it...

CarringtonBison
03-07-2008, 01:38 PM
When will your "Wrestling Scoring for Dummies" be available in bookstores?

in April, you can get the first signed copy :)

BisonBabe
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
May have to go this weekend. Junior is now in wrestling and this would be a great experience for him.

90BISON
03-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks. My high school was the only public high school in Minnesota to not have a wrestling team, so I've never caught on to it...

Kind of like people from non-hockey towns in western ND trying to learn all the specifics of a hockey game and not look like an idiot.:D

90BISON
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
May have to go this weekend. Junior is now in wrestling and this would be a great experience for him.

There is no more insane fan than mothers of wrestlers! You might think you know a particular woman's personality until her son is in a do or die match that's close, kind of like Jeckyl & Hyde.;)

onbison09
03-07-2008, 11:53 PM
There is no more insane fan than mothers of wrestlers! You might think you know a particular woman's personality until her son is in a do or die match that's close, kind of like Jeckyl & Hyde.;)

At regionals (I'm the manager for my HS team) 2 parents got in a fist fight. They didn't bother to step outside they just threw down in front of everyone. I didn't know whether to laugh or just look away. Also a mom from Napoleon was sitting five feet away from me (at least) on the bleachers and she bumped into me at least 3 times during the match. Completley agree.

UTH
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
At regionals (I'm the manager for my HS team) 2 parents got in a fist fight. They didn't bother to step outside they just threw down in front of everyone. I didn't know whether to laugh or just look away. Also a mom from Napoleon was sitting five feet away from me (at least) on the bleachers and she bumped into me at least 3 times during the match. Completley agree.

Crazy hovering helicopters and their precious little snowflakes.

*uth waives first-pic-posting priveleges on this topic...

BisonBabe
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Junior has only been in wrestling for 3 weeks and only once a week. Will probably be in a tournament in a couple of weeks. Will get really exciting if he sticks with this through high school (only in 1st grade) and hopefully becomes a Bison.

BlueBisonRock
03-08-2008, 12:54 AM

I totally agree. My son wrestled his Jr and Sr years. (Started way late, but loved it). There were a number of good matches (along with some that were less than stellar). His mother - a neophyte - was dangerous to sit next by. One Mom in particular really did the Jeckel and Hyde move. Great person. Cheered for all the kids. But get out of her way when Ben was on the mat.

The one thing that really impressed me about wrestling was the sense of community. These kids were family through the weight classes. The kids and the parents welcomed new wrestlers (and their parents) with open arms. I did not wrestle in HS. I did learn to appreciate wrestling at NDSU. It took my son's wrestling experience to grasp the value of the sport even with these 'enthusiastic' Moms around.

onbison09
03-08-2008, 03:31 PM
No updated brackets online? That's not cool. Anyone have an updates who is there? Nevermind they're right here- http://www.ncaa.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Wrestling/Articles/Division_I/NCAA-DI-Wrestling-2008WestRegionalBrackets.pdf

onbison09
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Nevermind they don't update (at least not yet)

lakesbison
03-08-2008, 05:06 PM
for a NCAA regional. there should be live stats..

ridiculous!!

BisonCountry
03-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Can anyone explain to me why in some weight brackets the #3 seed gets BYE and not the #2?

onbison09
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

ridiculous!!
No updated brackets:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ...way to go Bison wrestling department. That's rediculous...it's not that hard. You can just post the PDF on gobison and update it. You can tell we don't hold regionals very often. Let UNI do it.

Bisonguy
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Wrestling/Articles/Division_I/NCAA-DI-Wrestling-2008WestRegionalBrackets-Consolation.pdf

NDSU hasn't updated anything on GoBison because it's an NCAA event.

lakesbison
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
NOT 1 SINGULAR PERSON CANT MAKE A TEXT OR GOTO BISONVILLE ON THEIR PHONES!??

cmon wrestling fans..

onbison09
03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Wrestling/Articles/Division_I/NCAA-DI-Wrestling-2008WestRegionalBrackets-Consolation.pdf

NDSU hasn't updated anything on GoBison because it's an NCAA event.
:blush: Sorry for being hard on NDSU. At UNI they had updates last year. Bout going crazy waiting for the qualifiers. Why couldn't NDSU do updates or something on the website? Like a little story "Through 2 rounds blah blah blah."

lakesbison
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
not 1 forum media person is there to BLOG on it on bison media blog?

even if it's freakin cameraman or reporter or intern for gosh sakes.

someone in BVILLE find out, puhlease!!

i had lunch in dinkytown in minneapolis big 10 wrestling tourney and i had my NDSU hat on.. and THEY were asking if I knew any reports... so I came on here... ZILCH NOTHING... argh.

lakesbison
03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
p.s heres big ten tourney wrestling LIVE updates.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf2/115523.pdf?&KEY=DUGCQYSFPCYWIRK.20080308201839&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=8400

onbison09
03-08-2008, 10:36 PM
We got UPDATES: Hoffman in finals, Sanders got beat in semis going for 3rd, Moony is done (kind of dissapointing), Adams in finals, Aho gets beat in semis, going for 3rd, Salminen gets beat in 1st round, is done, Fettig gets beat in semis, going for 3rd, Moenkedick is done, Bryce in finals, Hemmesch is done.

onbison09
03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
p.s heres big ten tourney wrestling LIVE updates.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf2/115523.pdf?&KEY=DUGCQYSFPCYWIRK.20080308201839&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=8400

Finals on BTN at 2 tomorrow.

lakesbison
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
dang, only 2 going to ncaa huh. next years team should be much better for NDsU

gabe dretsch (frazee) is in semifinals for gophs I see.

TheBisonator
03-09-2008, 05:19 AM
How many did we send to the NCAAs last year?? Did we do better than last year??

Bisonguy
03-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Three going to the NCAA's. Same guys as last year.

Hoffman,Bryce, and Adams.

TheBisonator
03-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Dupe. Delete

TheBisonator
03-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Is there any sort of Lloyd Christmas chance that a team that only sends three guys to the NCAAs can win the team national championship if all three guys kick complete and total ass throughout?? I'm wondering, and I'm hoping that there's an incentive for the top prize for a team that only sends three.

I really hope it's the case. It would just be nice to root for an NDSU team that has a Lloyd Christmas chance at winning it all after this miserable playoff-less transition. I had a little taste of it with the volleyball team...

TheBisonator
03-09-2008, 05:35 AM
One more thing: Are we getting any Wild-Card entries?? Aho, Fettig or Sanders??

roadwarrior
03-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Adams and Bryce are wild card entries. Only Hoffman was automatic.

Wild Cards

125 - (2nd)Anthony Mustari, Northern Colorado; and (3rd)Caleb Flores, Northern Iowa
133 - (2nd)Cory VomBaur, Wyoming
141 - (2nd)Carter Downing, Wyoming; and (3rd)C.J. Ettelson, Northern Iowa
149 - (2nd)Ryan Adams, North Dakota State
157 - None
165 - (3rd)Stephen Crozier, Air Force
174 - (2nd)Alex Dolly, Northern Iowa
184 - (2nd)Jacob Devlin, Air Force
197 - (2nd)Jacob Bryce, North Dakota State
285 - None

sambini
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Good luck Bison at the nationals in St. Louis ++++

imabison
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM

ridiculous!!
I did not have the time to attend, but noticed from the NCAA.ORG site there was LIVE SESSION stats, I would have just had to register for the free stats, and log in.

How was the attendance?

roadwarrior
03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Attendance wasn't very good.

onbison09
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Is there any sort of Lloyd Christmas chance that a team that only sends three guys to the NCAAs can win the team national championship if all three guys kick complete and total ass throughout?? I'm wondering, and I'm hoping that there's an incentive for the top prize for a team that only sends three.

I really hope it's the case. It would just be nice to root for an NDSU team that has a Lloyd Christmas chance at winning it all after this miserable playoff-less transition. I had a little taste of it with the volleyball team...

To answer your question: Yeah but the chance is about 1 in a billion. The elite wrestlers of the country are soooo good and miles ahead of the lower seeds in the NCAA. (not a shot at anyone but it's just the truth) The Big 10 finals were amazing. (you might be able to catch the replay on BTN sometime) For a team with three wrestlers to win it they would all have to win national titles and a lot of people would have to choke. So in short it won't happen. It's just fun having people in the NCAAs to root for. What was the attendence? Not suprised it wasn't good though. The NCAAs are on ESPNU starting Friday at 10 AM and not sure about online at ESPN 360. Hopefully are guys will give em hell.

56BISON73
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Iowa beats MN for the Big Ten Championship. PL

onbison09
03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Iowa beats MN for the Big Ten Championship. PL

That was some of the most physical wrestling I've ever seen. If the NCAAs are better than that it will be amazing. Maybe you could catch a replay on BTN sometime.

bisonaudit
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
That was some of the most physical wrestling I've ever seen. If the NCAAs are better than that it will be amazing. Maybe you could catch a replay on BTN sometime.

Big Ten teams are ranked 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 21, and 22 in the final WIN magazine poll. And have 9 teams in the top 20 in the final USA Today poll.

The NCAA allocates tournament births to conferences based primarily on last year's performance at nationals plus conference size and 5 year performance tends at the championships. Subject to minimums, maximums and some 'super delegates.'

The Big 10 sends 72 wrestlers to the national tournament out of 110 participants in the Big 10 championships. The conference is so dominant that they're 'up against the cap' of 65% of participants in the qualifying tournament.

Curiously the Big XII only has 5 schools that wrestle but they get 38 qualifiers which seams to run contrary to the 65% cap. Probably those 'super delegates.' Doesn't hurt that all 5 teams are in the top 15. They and the East Region were granted exemptions to the 6 team minimum for a qualifying tournament.