PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Contenders 2008

X-Factor
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
There is a rock'n thread going on at AGS right now. I would make our own here at Bisonville, but I sense that it might be a little biased in the green and gold variety :D

Anyway, I think the poll looks real solid. Obviously Appalachian State should be the favorite. They graduated their secondary but return a heck of a lot including hopefully a health AE. This is the type of team we will most likely have to match up with at some point in the playoffs. Playing all of those spread teams last fall is going to really pay dividends this year in coaching. Plus FINALLY a deep secondary for a change.

Behind ASU your looking at NDSU and UNI out of the Gateway, JMU and Richmond out of the CAA, EWU out of the Big Sky, a question mark with the Southland, and Cal Poly as a solid at large. Cal Poly is definitely the best team without an autobid opportunity. Montana is almost always in this talk as well, but not this year. It's rebuilding mode for them.

So maybe instead of a poll, how does everyone think the Bison might match up against particular conferences and their style of play next fall if we happened to meet in the playoffs?

Southern
Southland
Big Sky
Gateway
CAA
Cal Poly (only realistic chance for the GWFC)

SloStang
02-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Here is a view from an outsider. I do not think any team that makes the playoffs would want to make a trip to Fargo in December. I am sure they would also be more than a little worried facing the Bison at home. NDSU made quite a name for themselves the last two years with a 20-2 record overall and a 3-1 record against FBS teams.

Good luck to the Bison in 2008. If Cal Poly is lucky enough to face the Bison in the 2008 playoffs, I certainly hope it will be in San Luis Obispo. I still remember the last time Cal Poly made a trip to Fargo.

aces1180
02-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Here is a view from an outsider. I do not think any team that makes the playoffs would want to make a trip to Fargo in December. I am sure they would also be more than a little worried facing the Bison at home. NDSU made quite a name for themselves the last two years with a 20-2 record overall and a 3-1 record against FBS teams.

Good luck to the Bison in 2008. If Cal Poly is lucky enough to face the Bison in the 2008 playoffs, I certainly hope it will be in San Luis Obispo. I still remember the last time Cal Poly made a trip to Fargo.

Thanks for the kind words...I actually would prefer to play you guys in the regular season.

That game in 2006 was weird...Cal Poly took a 14-0 lead and then the Bison hung 51 unanswered on the Mustangs to win 51-14...I have to admit, I was a bit concerned during the first quarter.

missingnumber7
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Talk about the Big Sky with EWU and the Grizz, but I'm gonna be interested to see what Glanville pulls out in Portland...I think they could make it interesting. He has stated that his only goal is to beat the Grizz, but in doing that his team is always prepared for everyone else.

The Gateway isn't just a two team race and as much as we want to throw the bison in the ring...playing a full conference schedule instead of the half schedule like the GWFC is(not ripping it) but its not going to be a cake walk. There are to many games that just become a challenge. Just look at the difference it has been for the basketball teams to actually play in a conference. I would love to see a conference title and a hopefully a national championship in the FFD, but I think we need to build. We need to get that taste of the playoffs in our mouths...then go from there.

As far as the GWFC...I am pulling for Poly, but the fact that they are playing transition hurts their case in with the comittee. I wish them the most of luck. But there really isn't anyone out there that plays with them in the GWFC anymore.

As far as other conferences...I cannot speak about which I do not know much of.

lakesbison
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (119) 13-2 2,950 5
2. Delaware Blue Hens 11-4 2,809 13
3. Southern Illinois Salukis 12-2 2,630 4
4. Northern Iowa Panthers 12-1 2,519 1

NDSU
Montana

theres your top 6 contenders in my opinion.

Georgia Southern & Youngstown might jump back into the mix this year.

tcbison
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I voted for App. They are the champions until they are dethroned. Plus, I would much rather have NDSU come in ranked low and then get better as the season goes on. Let App take all the headlines and rankings and then upset them in the playoffs.

SloStang
02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
As far as the GWFC...I am pulling for Poly, but the fact that they are playing transition hurts their case in with the comittee. I wish them the most of luck. But there really isn't anyone out there that plays with them in the GWFC anymore.

Cal Poly is only playing transitional USD in 2008. Cal Poly will have plenty of chances to impress the playoff committee with games against Montana, McNeese State, South Dakota State, San Diego State (FBS that Cal Poly beat in 2006), UC Davis and Northwestern State. I do agree that the GWFC is not the same as it was when NDSU and SDSU were members.

I was hoping to see the Bison on the regular season schedule in 2008, but I think we may see them in December.

NDSUstudent
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I voted for App. They are the champions until they are dethroned. Plus, I would much rather have NDSU come in ranked low and then get better as the season goes on. Let App take all the headlines and rankings and then upset them in the playoffs.

That would have been nice but when you go 20-2 and beat 3 FBS teams over the past two years, flying under the radar is going to be impossible.

X-Factor
02-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Dangit!! I knew I forgot something. I'll translate so Slick and PL can participate in the discussion too!

There is a rock'n thread going on at AGS right now. I would makes our own here at Bisonvizzles but I sense T-H-to-tha-izzat it might be a shawty biased in tha green n gold variety :D

Anyway, I think tha poll looks real solid yo. Obviously Appalachian State should be tha favorite . Boo-Yaa!. Tizzle graduated they secondary but return a hizneck of a lot includ'n hopefully a health AE . Holla!. This is tha type of tizzle we will mizzle likely have ta match up wit at some point in tha playoffs. Jus keepin' it gansta dogg. Clockin' all of those gansta spreads last F-to-tha-izzall is going ta really pay dividends this year in steppin'. Plus FINALLY a deep secondary fo` a change fo shizzle.

Behind ASU yo look'n at NDSU n UNI out of tha Gateway, JMU n Richmond out of tha CAA, EWU out of tha Big Sky, a question M-to-tha-izzark wit tha Southland, n Cal Poly as a solid at large. Cal Poly is def tha bizzle tizzle witout an autobid opportunity fo' sheezy. Montana is almost always in this rap as W-to-tha-izzell, but not this year! Relax, cus I'm bout to take my respect. It's rebuild'n mode fo` them cuz Im tha Double O G.

So maybe instead of a poll, how does everyone think tha Bison miznight match up against particizzles conferizzles n they style of play nizzext F-to-tha-izzall if we happened ta meet in tha playoffs fo gettin' our pimp on?

Southern
Southland
Big Sky
Gateway
CAA
Cal Poly (only realistic chance fo` tha GWFC)

BisonNeil
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Cal Poly is only playing transitional USD in 2008. Cal Poly will have plenty of chances to impress the playoff committee with games against Montana, McNeese State, South Dakota State, San Diego State (FBS that Cal Poly beat in 2006), UC Davis and Northwestern State. I do agree that the GWFC is not the same as it was when NDSU and SDSU were members.

I was hoping to see the Bison on the regular season schedule in 2008, but I think we may see them in December.

I thought UND got added to the schedule after originally not being there. I must be getting old.

Hammersmith
02-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I thought UND got added to the schedule after originally not being there. I must be getting old.

They did, but the GWFC commish voided the contract because of either the potential damage to Cal Poly's playoff chances or the desire to treat the UxDs equally(UC Davis had a complete schedule without USD).

CarringtonBison
03-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Dangit!! I knew I forgot something. I'll translate so Slick and PL can participate in the discussion too!

Originally Posted by X-Factor

There is a rock'n thread going on at AGS right now. I would makes our own here at Bisonvizzles but I sense T-H-to-tha-izzat it might be a shawty biased in tha green n gold variety

Anyway, I think tha poll looks real solid yo. Obviously Appalachian State should be tha favorite . Boo-Yaa!. Tizzle graduated they secondary but return a hizneck of a lot includ'n hopefully a health AE . Holla!. This is tha type of tizzle we will mizzle likely have ta match up wit at some point in tha playoffs. Jus keepin' it gansta dogg. Clockin' all of those gansta spreads last F-to-tha-izzall is going ta really pay dividends this year in steppin'. Plus FINALLY a deep secondary fo` a change fo shizzle.

Behind ASU yo look'n at NDSU n UNI out of tha Gateway, JMU n Richmond out of tha CAA, EWU out of tha Big Sky, a question M-to-tha-izzark wit tha Southland, n Cal Poly as a solid at large. Cal Poly is def tha bizzle tizzle witout an autobid opportunity fo' sheezy. Montana is almost always in this rap as W-to-tha-izzell, but not this year! Relax, cus I'm bout to take my respect. It's rebuild'n mode fo` them cuz Im tha Double O G.

So maybe instead of a poll, how does everyone think tha Bison miznight match up against particizzles conferizzles n they style of play nizzext F-to-tha-izzall if we happened ta meet in tha playoffs fo gettin' our pimp on?

Southern
Southland
Big Sky
Gateway
CAA
Cal Poly (only realistic chance fo` tha GWFC)

my nomination for post of the week!!

missingnumber7
03-01-2008, 06:28 AM
They did, but the GWFC commish voided the contract because of either the potential damage to Cal Poly's playoff chances or the desire to treat the UxDs equally(UC Davis had a complete schedule without USD).

Guess I missed that one. Still think that Poly is gonna need some help...the tough schedule will help, but I think you are better off playing a D2 team than a transition team...but maybe I'm wrong.

CaBisonFan
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
There is a rock'n thread going on at AGS right now. I would make our own here at Bisonville, but I sense that it might be a little biased in the green and gold variety :D

Anyway, I think the poll looks real solid. Obviously Appalachian State should be the favorite. They graduated their secondary but return a heck of a lot including hopefully a health AE. This is the type of team we will most likely have to match up with at some point in the playoffs. Playing all of those spread teams last fall is going to really pay dividends this year in coaching. Plus FINALLY a deep secondary for a change.

Behind ASU your looking at NDSU and UNI out of the Gateway, JMU and Richmond out of the CAA, EWU out of the Big Sky, a question mark with the Southland, and Cal Poly as a solid at large. Cal Poly is definitely the best team without an autobid opportunity. Montana is almost always in this talk as well, but not this year. It's rebuilding mode for them.

So maybe instead of a poll, how does everyone think the Bison might match up against particular conferences and their style of play next fall if we happened to meet in the playoffs?

Southern
Southland
Big Sky
Gateway
CAA
Cal Poly (only realistic chance for the GWFC)

'If' Nick Mertens & the defensive secondary come out solid...and 'if' there isn't a rash of injuries...I'd put us in the playoffs.

If the defensive line establishes a more aggressive presence, we'll go deep into the playoffs. The D-line must become dominant against the 'run' and put pressure on the quarterback so that the linebackers & d-backs can concentrate more on pass coverage against the spread offenses. They've had to cover for the d-line a lot the past two years...especially in 2007. They are the biggest key, along with the quarterback situation.

Mertens, or whoever players, doesn't need to be great...but solid...and smart.

We're a contender, but the above conditions must be met to have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

If these areas solidify, then we're on a level with App. State. If not, then we're a step below them, with about 5 or 6 other teams that have been mentioned.

If Mertens is outstanding, our offense will crush most teams. With the exception of ASU, no other team will come even close to our offensive power. Is that enough to win it all? nope

It's really in the hands of the defense. They will decide whether we're a national title contender.

Finally...whoever comes out of the Gateway should be a serious contender. That's a good litmus test.

Right now...App. State is riding the crest. Someone has to be outstanding to knock them off. The Bison have most of the pieces to do it...but there are several 'ifs.'

tjbison
03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
'If' Nick Mertens & the defensive secondary come out solid...and 'if' there isn't a rash of injuries...I'd put us in the playoffs.

If the defensive line establishes a more aggressive presence, we'll go deep into the playoffs. The D-line must become dominant against the 'run' and put pressure on the quarterback so that the linebackers & d-backs can concentrate more on pass coverage against the spread offenses. They've had to cover for the d-line a lot the past two years...especially in 2007. They are the biggest key, along with the quarterback situation.

Mertens, or whoever players, doesn't need to be great...but solid...and smart.

We're a contender, but the above conditions must be met to have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

If these areas solidify, then we're on a level with App. State. If not, then we're a step below them, with about 5 or 6 other teams that have been mentioned.

If Mertens is outstanding, our offense will crush most teams. With the exception of ASU, no other team will come even close to our offensive power. Is that enough to win it all? nope

It's really in the hands of the defense. They will decide whether we're a national title contender.

Finally...whoever comes out of the Gateway will be a serious contender. That's a good litmus test.

The CMU game was the perfect example of the Offensive and Defensive power that we have, if they played every game like that day next year, it will be hell for any team. Defense is the worry spot for me next year, I think Mertens will fold into the offense just fine, its not like he's being handed a bunch of rookies, the core players returning will be the playmakers

AEBison1998
03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I think the season rises and falls on the D-Line as well.

DE:
I haven't heard anything about Jeff Bohlman. He transfered from Air Force last year and is maybe a little on the small side yet. He was all state in high school according to Gobison.com. Maybe he will be a guy who will benefit from some time in the weight room and turn into a solid contributor next year. There has been a lot said about the guys that red shirted last year as well. I am really looking forward to the spring game to see if anyone jumps out.

DT/NG:
The two starters are going to be tough next year. Gratzek just kept getting better and better as the year went on. I hope Yuen is what the coaches expect. But depth is the key to the D-Line. Not only do they have to sub to stay fresh, but we have been lucky the past few years with injuries. There are a lot of big bodies crashing together and chances for knees getting bent the wrong way. Will George D. be the next Gratzek and be a solid player his redshirt freshman year or will Phillips be the man. With the loss of two DT's on signing day, will the coaches find another transfer/JUCO? I hope so.

One other thing I'm interested to see is where Daniel Eaves ends up playing. He was going to play safety when he was recruited. Then he almost didn't red shirt last year at CB. Was that due to depth at CB or is that his natural position? It sounds like he is a real talent so we'll see where he ends up.

Bisonguy
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM

DE:
I haven't heard anything about Jeff Bohlman. He transfered from Air Force last year and is maybe a little on the small side yet. He was all state in high school according to Gobison.com. Maybe he will be a guy who will benefit from some time in the weight room and turn into a solid contributor next year. There has been a lot said about the guys that red shirted last year as well. I am really looking forward to the spring game to see if anyone jumps out.

DT/NG:
The two starters are going to be tough next year. Gratzek just kept getting better and better as the year went on. I hope Yuen is what the coaches expect. But depth is the key to the D-Line. Not only do they have to sub to stay fresh, but we have been lucky the past few years with injuries. There are a lot of big bodies crashing together and chances for knees getting bent the wrong way. Will George D. be the next Gratzek and be a solid player his redshirt freshman year or will Phillips be the man. With the loss of two DT's on signing day, will the coaches find another transfer/JUCO? I hope so.

One other thing I'm interested to see is where Daniel Eaves ends up playing. He was going to play safety when he was recruited. Then he almost didn't red shirt last year at CB. Was that due to depth at CB or is that his natural position? It sounds like he is a real talent so we'll see where he ends up.

I'm guessing depth at corner is why. NDSU was one injury away from not being able to field a nickel package.

BisonNeil
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM

DE:

DT/NG:

I doubt very much that there are going to be anymore JUCOs at this point. A transfer is possible, however, and the coaches apparently have an open scholarship. I too think the DL needs more depth. Which brings me to asking this question, does anyone know whatever happened to Walker Lee Ashley? He is not on the Goopher squad, so I am wondering if he is out of football. If he ever decided to play, he would be a dandy.

SDbison
03-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I think NDSU will win it all because there is no FBS game on the 2008 schedule and Mertens is such an unproven QB stud and there will be fewer injuries because no FBS game and when the easy 11th game is announced the Bison will be so well positioned for the playoffs just like Montana and will win it all because they are the Bison and the Fargodome rocks and you know it is the loudest most rowdiest place to play.

TransAmBison
03-02-2008, 03:59 AM
I think NDSU will win it all because there is no FBS game on the 2008 schedule and Mertens is such an unproven QB stud and there will be fewer injuries because no FBS game and when the easy 11th game is announced the Bison will be so well positioned for the playoffs just like Montana and will win it all because they are the Bison and the Fargodome rocks and you know it is the loudest most rowdiest place to play.
Well, now that SDbison is on board, we just have beat Lakesbison into submission! :D

Mr. Burgundy
03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Is SDBison actually the "Common Man" from KFAN? Or are there actually two people in the world that negative.

Sorry your beer is half empty...not a fun way to run through life.

GradBison
03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Is SDBison actually the "Common Man" from KFAN? Or are there actually two people in the world that negative.

Sorry your beer is half empty...not a fun way to run through life.

There was an NDSU fan in the row behind me at the NDSU-SDSU game last season that dripped with negativity. It was an amazing display of how negativity can sap energy away from people! It's alright to be a realist, but what good can come out of anticipating doom at every turn of events??!

I like our chances for at least a playoff run next season.

To overstate the obvious, I CAN'T WAIT FOR FALL!

GO BISON!

SDbison
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
There was an NDSU fan in the row behind me at the NDSU-SDSU game last season that dripped with negativity. It was an amazing display of how negativity can sap energy away from people! It's alright to be a realist, but what good can come out of anticipating doom at every turn of events??!

I like our chances for at least a playoff run next season.

To overstate the obvious, I CAN'T WAIT FOR FALL!

GO BISON!
Well, if you believe Burgandy then that must have been me. Whatever!
Actually, some of the homers here are not very realistic since they think you must engineer the schedule and assume the AD, coaches and unproven players can do anything. Getting to the playoffs next year is no sure thing, but by the way some of you talk NDSU is already there. Sometimes maybe I am too critical, but I would rather be that way than just blindly accepting that things are going to be OK. Actually, I like to have a discussion of facts regarding some area of concern. Saying NDSU is so great everything will be taken care of is a simplistic way of looking at things. Usually most anything is more complicated than that.

No_Skill
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
All any of us can do is go to the games, cheer our lungs out, and support the team. All of which I'm sure we all do. The rest will take care of itself.

SDbison
03-04-2008, 04:16 AM
All any of us can do is go to the games, cheer our lungs out, and support the team. All of which I'm sure we all do. The rest will take care of itself.
If we are all mindless zombies without opinions then why have a message board? I think having discussions about all sorts of topics is what Bisonville is about. We don't wait for things to happen, we speculate and then see what really happens.

GradBison
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, if you believe Burgandy then that must have been me. Whatever!
Actually, some of the homers here are not very realistic since they think you must engineer the schedule and assume the AD, coaches and unproven players can do anything. Getting to the playoffs next year is no sure thing, but by the way some of you talk NDSU is already there. Sometimes maybe I am too critical, but I would rather be that way than just blindly accepting that things are going to be OK. Actually, I like to have a discussion of facts regarding some area of concern. Saying NDSU is so great everything will be taken care of is a simplistic way of looking at things. Usually most anything is more complicated than that.

SDbison, I wasn't trying to imply that the negative fan was you!
To reiterate what I said: realism = good, negativity = destructive.

I think a discussion of facts is a great idea, facts like:
-The Bison's record in the last couple of years
-The players who are returning
-The new players that will be stepping up
-The job that the coaching staff has done

I think all these are facts that lead Bison fans to expect a good season :nod:

GO BISON!

SDbison
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
SDbison, I wasn't trying to imply that the negative fan was you!
To reiterate what I said: realism = good, negativity = destructive.

I think a discussion of facts is a great idea, facts like:
-The Bison's record in the last couple of years
-The players who are returning
-The new players that will be stepping up
-The job that the coaching staff has done

I think all these are facts that lead Bison fans to expect a good season :nod:

GO BISON!
Now if you would only elaborate specifically how the players returning (and those new players too) will still translate into a winning season (playoffs)? Is the D that much better so that an inexperienced new QB won't have to pull off last minute heroics? Can NDSU rely on the great depth of excellent running backs for a majority of the yardage if a good QB doesn't materialize?

gwfan
03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
SDbison....You betcha ,take it to the bank..

BisonNeil
03-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Now if you would only elaborate specifically how the players returning (and those new players too) will still translate into a winning season (playoffs)? Is the D that much better so that an inexperienced new QB won't have to pull off last minute heroics? Can NDSU rely on the great depth of excellent running backs for a majority of the yardage if a good QB doesn't materialize?

No one dimensional team, be they Texas Tech or Hawaii throwing the ball all the time, or Arkansas running the ball all the time, is ever going to be a contender. So, now, if we can't throw the ball, we won't be running the ball. We need Mertens to stay healthy. I think as long as he is healthy, we will be alright.

But, we do need the DL to step up and we also need the three new starters on the OL to come together. Line play will be critical to the Bison's success in 08.

Jdubs21
03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
we beat minnesota, we beat central michigan, we went 20-2 in arguably or 2 toughest schedules we've ever had and it still seems like people think we have something to prove to deserve respect, so i'm gonna quote a line from the film major league....."I guess we'll just have to win the whole Fu**in thing!" :)

Swany
03-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Bison should make the playoffs this fall. While there are no guarantees, sans a major injury to a few key players the team should be one of the contenders in FCS next season and contend for Gateway Title. Who else is excited for a playoff game in the Dome after 15 years!!!

Jdubs21
03-11-2008, 01:44 AM
---->this Guy!!!!<-----

99Bison
03-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Bison should make the playoffs this fall. While there are no guarantees, sans a major injury to a few key players the team should be one of the contenders in FCS next season and contend for Gateway Title. Who else is excited for a playoff game in the Dome after 15 years!!!

Ah, yah...

rutlandbison
03-11-2008, 05:55 AM

HELLS YES!! The dome will beeee ROCKIN!!!