PDA

View Full Version : Who actually played for Ron Erhardt? What was it like being at the beginnings?

CaBisonFan
02-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Are there any Ron Erhardt era players here? You wouldn't have to identify yourselves, but you could.

Any good stories about Erhardt, Mudra, practices, and other things? How about the bowl games and big games that stand out?

Anyone out there? Don't be bashful. I know there are a few here. Fill us in on how this thing was built.

Just my opinion, but without Mudra & Erhardt...we'd have just another football program here. Someone had to give it a huge jump start. This all ties in with my 'expectations' thread. How did these guys teach you to 'expect' to win? Or was it something different?

Please

bisonpride4ever
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Are there any Ron Erhardt era players here? You wouldn't have to identify yourselves, but you could.

Any good stories about Erhardt, Mudra, practices, and other things? How about the bowl games and big games that stand out?

Anyone out there? Don't be bashful. I know there are a few here. Fill us in on how this thing was built.

Just my opinion, but without Mudra & Erhardt...we'd have just another football program here. Someone had to give it a huge jump start. This all ties in with my 'expectations' thread. How did these guys teach you to 'expect' to win? Or was it something different?

Please

My dad played for Coach Erhardt in 1968. He was a freshman that year so he didn't play in any games or anything, but he said he went head-to-head every practice with the late great Paul Bothoff. I've never really asked him what it was like playing for him or being on the team. My dad was only on the team that one season and then he changed his major and transfered to Mayville State and played 4 years. I believe he told me in the 5 years he played college football, he played for 5 different head coaches. It looks like the coaching carousel has been going on for awhile at Mayville State.

westriver bison
02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Have a neighbor that played in the bowl game when the Bison beat Grambling, Mudra I believe. He told me one time they had full contact pretty much all the time. The "walkthrough" the day before the Grambling game was full pads and full contact. The people from down south were pretty amazed at that. It must have worked.:)

CaBisonFan
02-28-2008, 03:04 AM
My dad played for Coach Erhardt in 1968. He was a freshman that year so he didn't play in any games or anything, but he said he went head-to-head every practice with the late great Paul Bothoff. I've never really asked him what it was like playing for him or being on the team. My dad was only on the team that one season and then he changed his major and transfered to Mayville State and played 4 years. I believe he told me in the 5 years he played college football, he played for 5 different head coaches. It looks like the coaching carousel has been going on for awhile at Mayville State.

Do you remember if he played for Jerome Berg at Mayville? That's my hometown. Didn't go to college there. Coach Berg had a really good thing going there, and mostly since then, it's been a really down program. There might be a few years where they did OK, but not many.

walknroehl
03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah I'd like to see more on this. Come on guys. This was a really different era. I remember my mom telling me Earhardt coached at her high school when she was growing up in New England, ND. I don't even see a path for a small town high school coach to eventually move on to college really anymore. It probably isn't a goal even for them.

CaBisonFan
03-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Have a neighbor that played in the bowl game when the Bison beat Grambling, Mudra I believe. He told me one time they had full contact pretty much all the time. The "walkthrough" the day before the Grambling game was full pads and full contact. The people from down south were pretty amazed at that. It must have worked.:)

I think that's where I got the stories from my sister, who was at SU then, about the super-tough workouts under Mudra.

Does anyone know why Mudra left?

DORMIE
03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I think he went to the Montreal Alouettes when he left. Bill Kiefer and Gary Benson who both played for Erhardt read this board, but seldom respond. They could give you all the information you want.

BisonNC49/73
03-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I think he went to the Montreal Alouettes when he left. Bill Kiefer and Gary Benson who both played for Erhardt read this board, but seldom respond. They could give you all the information you want.It was a much different time and place back then. Erhardt was the King. If practice wasn't going as he wished he would tell Izzy to turn the lights on in the stadium. Call Bev, our food service Mgr., tell her we were going to be late for supper. Then we would come off the practice field go to the stadium and until he was ready to let us go.

Then there was the time we beat UND in GF and we were the underdogs but we always had teammakers who believed in us. Some would scout practice and one of them was scurrying across the 50 yard line running to UND side pulling his bets out his pockets and going to collect.

When we got back to Fargo, of course we had to celebrate. While at Chubbs A couple of us saw the Mayor buying some beverages to go. He told us the town was ours. If we had any issues that night he said to call him and he would take care of it. We didn't have to call him but it was still pretty cool.

Can't imagine that happening now days.

I just hope the upper class ladies aren't telling the incoming freshmen ladies "not to go out with football players because they're ANIMALS." It was difficult enough with lack of females on campus much less have that added to the challenge. Thank God for the old Sports Bar. Our get away. Thanks CB
you were the Man!

CaBisonFan
03-05-2008, 03:03 AM
It was a much different time and place back then. Erhardt was the King. If practice wasn't going as he wished he would tell Izzy to turn the lights on in the stadium. Call Bev, our food service Mgr., tell her we were going to be late for supper. Then we would come off the practice field go to the stadium and until he was ready to let us go.

Then there was the time we beat UND in GF and we were the underdogs but we always had teammakers who believed in us. Some would scout practice and one of them was scurrying across the 50 yard line running to UND side pulling his bets out his pockets and going to collect.

When we got back to Fargo, of course we had to celebrate. While at Chubbs A couple of us saw the Mayor buying some beverages to go. He told us the town was ours. If we had any issues that night he said to call him and he would take care of it. We didn't have to call him but it was still pretty cool.

Can't imagine that happening now days.

I just hope the upper class ladies aren't telling the incoming freshmen ladies "not to go out with football players because they're ANIMALS." It was difficult enough with lack of females on campus much less have that added to the challenge. Thank God for the old Sports Bar. Our get away. Thanks CB
you were the Man!

Thanks BisonNC !!