PDA

View Full Version : Rosy Glasses in Bison Country? No...Not Really

CaBisonFan
02-22-2008, 05:44 AM
'Rose colored glasses' is one way to describe the typical Bison fan attitude. 'Optimism' is another way.

But it runs deeper than optimism.

Bison teams have won dozens and dozens of games over the decades because they have expected to win.

The Bison will make a strong playoff run when they're ready. In the meantime, they will continue to build upon what they've accomplished. We'll see a lot of great football in the meantime, and perhaps someday we'll see a national championship...but that shouldn't be the only measure of success. I'm not going to wait for a national championship. I'm going to savor every game...and I'm going to enjoy watching each player and the team evolve.

A lot of sports people talk about learning how to win. Some talk about knowing how to win. I prefer to use the word 'expect.'

Bison teams have always expected to win.

That is the difference between NDSU & many other programs. Other schools may have excellent recruiting classes & coaches. NDSU has strong recruiting classes and coaches. This is an old story with old arguments.

The Bison won some games last year with mirrors. The defensive backfield was green and thin. The defensive line lacked a real dominant force or two, and they were green over-all. The running back situation lacked real depth...as the injury to Paschall proved. A part of Tyler Roehl's success last year was the presence of Paschall...who provided another style for defenses to cover. Without Paschall...our running game became one-dimensional. Paschall was a tough slasher who rarely went down on the first hit. This 'was' a dose of painful reality.

But the story of the 2007 team isn't about the loss at SDSU. It's about the fact that the team won some games that they could have lost, if it were not for a rare attitude of expectations.

Since the 60s...the Bison have expected to win...and they have been genuinely surprised and disappointed when they've lost. So we had a bad game in Brookings last fall...oh well. That's not the measure of the past two years. It proved that some of the players were human however. One of the saddest parts of that game was watching Steve Walker end his career with an interception on a possible comeback drive. But I won't remember Steve for that.

I'll remember games that were seemingly lost...only to see what real character can accomplish.

I 'expect' the Bison to do very well next season. I 'expect' Nick Mertens to do well. I 'expect' this recruiting class to add an important dimension to the team within a few years.

I fully 'expect' them to learn about Bison football...and to show it on the field.

The days of hoping to win are over. The days of being shocked to lose a game have returned.

Bob_Holiday
02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with you 100%. We are back to the era when teams didn't want to play the Bison. We've seen it already when Montana State bailed for a bigger payday and wouldn't reschedule. In affect they quietly said, "Gee, we don't want to play you, it might mess up our playoff plans". I've got to admire Central Connecticut. They know the pathway to the top goes through the Bison, unlike the U of Montana who won't play anyone in the top 50 and risk a loss. I recently talked to JD Trainer and we're both convinced that the Bison will be much better defensively this coming season and they've got the potential to be much better offensively if Mertens plays up to his ability
What that seems to add up to is a playoff run next fall. You can call that looking through rose colored glasses if you want, and if it is I don't want my regular glasses back.
Now I've got ice fishing calling me. Later.
Go Bison
Bob

bisonmike2
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Is it too early to suggest a moritorium on the P(layoffs) word? I've been waiting forever for <unmentionable> game espcially at the Fargodome. I want to make sure that nobody jinxes this.

Ferd
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe this should be this years catch phrase:

EXPECTATIONS

:hungry: :hungry:

KilldeerBison
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ferd;179590]Maybe this should be this years catch phrase:

Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!

HerdBot
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
'Rose colored glasses' is one way to describe the typical Bison fan attitude. 'Optimism' is another way.

Bison teams have won dozens and dozens of games over the decades because they have expected to win.

The Bison will make a strong playoff run when they're ready. In the meantime, they will continue to build upon what they've accomplished. We'll see a lot of great football in the meantime, and perhaps someday we'll see a national championship...but that shouldn't be the only measure of success. I'm not going to wait for a national championship. I'm going to savor every game...and I'm going to enjoy watching each player and the team evolve.

A lot of sports people talk about learning how to win. Some talk about knowing how to win. I prefer to used the word 'expect.'

That is the difference between NDSU & many other programs. Other schools may have excellent recruiting classes & coaches. NDSU has strong recruiting classes and coaches. This is an old story with old arguments.

The Bison won some games last year with mirrors. The defensive backfield was green and thin. The defensive line lacked a real dominant force or two, and they were green over-all. The running back situation lacked real depth...as the injury to Paschall proved. A part of Tyler Roehl's success last year was the presence of Paschall...who provided another style for defenses to cover. Without Paschall...our running game became one-dimensional. Paschall was a tough slasher who rarely went down on the first hit. This 'was' a dose of painful reality.

But the story of the 2007 team isn't about the loss at SDSU. It's about the fact that the team won some games that they could have lost, if it were not for a rare attitude of expectations.

Since the 60s...the Bison have expected to win...and they have been genuinely surprised and disappointed when they've lost. So we had a bad game in Brookings last fall...oh well. That's not the measure of the past two years. It proved that some of the players were human however. One of the saddest parts of that game was watching Steve Walker end his career with an interception on a possible comeback drive. But I won't remember Steve for that.

I'll remember games that were seemingly lost...only to see what real character can accomplish.

I 'expect' the Bison to do very well next season. I expect Nick Mertens to do well. I 'expect' this recruiting class to add an important dimension to the team within a few years.

I fully expect them to learn about Bison football...and to show it on the field.

The days of hoping to win are over. The days of being shocked to lose a game have returned.

Good post. We set our goals higher here. Anything less than a Championship will be considered a failure. It's the way it's always been and the way it will always be.

tjbison
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Good post. We set our goals higher here. Anything less than a Championship will be considered a failure. It's the way it's always been and the way it will always be.

Thats the attitude that put those 8 trophys in our hands!!! Go Bison!!!

CaBisonFan
02-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Thats the attitude that put those 8 trophys in our hands!!! Go Bison!!!

Totally agree :nod:

Jdubs21
02-23-2008, 08:12 PM
and i am tired of waiting for #9, so how bout we just win the whole damn thing and really make a statement this year....has there ever been a team that has won the title after thier first year of being elligible

Hammersmith
02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
and i am tired of waiting for #9, so how bout we just win the whole damn thing and really make a statement this year....has there ever been a team that has won the title after thier first year of being elligible

Georgia Southern? I know they won quickly, but I'm not sure if it was the first year.

edit: It wasn't; they won one their second year. They restarted football as a club team in 1982 after a 41 year absence, started I-AA play in 1984, and won championships in '85, '86, '89, '90, '99 & '00.

Bisonguy
02-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Georgia Southern? I know they won quickly, but I'm not sure if it was the first year.

edit: They didn't; they won one their second year. They restarted football as a club team in 1982, started I-AA play in 1984, and won championships in 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999 & 2000.

I read they started as a club team in 1981, and played as a club team for three years.

Anyway you look at it, GSU did pretty well from starting from scratch.

tjbison
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I read they started as a club team in 1981, and played as a club team for three years.

Anyway you look at it, GSU did pretty well from starting from scratch.

And we've beat them once already:D

56BISON73
02-23-2008, 09:21 PM

edit: It wasn't; they won one their second year. They restarted football as a club team in 1982 after a 41 year absence, started I-AA play in 1984, and won championships in '85, '86, '89, '90, '99 & '00.

They didnt have a FB team for 41 years??? Hmmm I remember when I was a kid they would announce the FB scores on the Prudential College Football scoreboard every Saturday and I am sure they always mentioned Georgia Southern. That was in the 60s. :confused: PL

Hammersmith
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
They didnt have a FB team for 41 years??? Hmmm I remember when I was a kid they would announce the FB scores on the Prudential College Football scoreboard every Saturday and I am sure they always mentioned Georgia Southern. That was in the 60s. :confused: PL

Nope, suspended in 1941 for WW2 and never restarted after.

Georgia Southern Eagles football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Southern_Eagles_football)

56BISON73
02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Nope, suspended in 1941 for WW2 and never restarted after.

Georgia Southern Eagles football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Southern_Eagles_football)

Man I must be confused. Now I gotta try and figure out what school I thought was but wasnt GS. Damn. :D PL

ps Thanks for the info Hammer!!!

99Bison
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM

A lot of sports people talk about learning how to win. Some talk about knowing how to win. I prefer to used the word 'expect.'

I 'expect' the Bison to do very well next season. I 'expect' Nick Mertens to do well. I 'expect' this recruiting class to add an important dimension to the team within a few years.

I fully 'expect' them to learn about Bison football...and to show it on the field.

Great post Ca.

KC Bison
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
My son goes to a small college in Southwest Missouri. I been with him to three of their football games. In each of the games I been at, they appear to outplay the other team for almost the entire game but manage to lose in the end. I've tried to explain to my son that his school doesn't have a winning attitude or tradition. They don't seem to have that inner strength or will power and I don't think they expect to win. NDSU plays to win, they expect to win, and they do win for the vast majority of the time. Most times, NDSU will not allow themselves to lose. If a school doesn't have that attitude, it is so difficult to create and build it. On the other hand, if you don't have an organization like Team Makers raising the big bucks, you won't have the ability to scout and recruit the kind of players that will keep those results happening.

CaBisonFan
02-25-2008, 04:42 AM
My son goes to a small college in Southwest Missouri. I been with him to three of their football games. In each of the games I been at, they appear to outplay the other team for almost the entire game but manage to lose in the end. I've tried to explain to my son that his school doesn't have a winning attitude or tradition. They don't seem to have that inner strength or will power and I don't think they expect to win. NDSU plays to win, they expect to win, and they do win for the vast majority of the time. Most times, NDSU will not allow themselves to lose. If a school doesn't have that attitude, it is so difficult to create and build it. On the other hand, if you don't have an organization like Team Makers raising the big bucks, you won't have the ability to scout and recruit the kind of players that will keep those results happening.

Good example...and good points. I always go back to Mudra & Erhardt, the guys that kick-started this thing. Some really great coaches & players followed, but it took something really special & unusual to get NDSU out of its losing ways. I've heard that the practices in that era were gruesome. Not sure how accurate they are, but it sounds like a story out of the gladiators.

In every decade (with the 90s perhaps being the exception), there's been one or two head coaches that have put the attitude in place...but their job wasn't as tough because the program had a 'memory' of what came before it. We came within an eyelash of losing it. I believe that the move up to DI-AA did something to stir things up...and Bohl was the right guy, at the right time, in the right place. Bohl & NDSU were both lucky.

I like your point about the Team Makers. It's kind of like the chicken or the egg...meaning, which one came first? I'd like to think that it will never stop.

Thanks

56BISON73
02-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Good example...and good points. I always go back to Mudra & Erhardt, the guys that kick-started this thing. Some really great coaches & players followed, but it took something really special & unusual to get NDSU out of its losing ways. I've heard that the practices in that era were gruesome. Not sure how accurate they are, but it sounds like a story out of the gladiators.

In every decade (with the 90s perhaps being the exception), there's been one or two head coaches that have put the attitude in place...but their job wasn't as tough because the program had a 'memory' of what came before it. We came within an eyelash of losing it. I believe that the move up to DI-AA did something to stir things up...and Bohl was the right guy, at the right time, in the right place. Bohl & NDSU were both lucky.

I like your point about the Team Makers. It's kind of like the chicken or the egg...meaning, which one came first? I'd like to think that it will never stop.

Thanks

Earhardt was before his time when it came to prefall football and conditioning. But at that time you still had two a days. He treated the players like men not boys. He explained what you were going to do in practice and why. Even when it came down to conditioning. There were easy practices and some hard. But that was for a reason.
When I was at Iowa the practice were absolutely brutal. This was not only during two a days but during the season as well. We didnt have a very healthy team and not only were you beat up physically but mentally as well. Allot of coaches were that way back then. Woody Hayes actually had his team practice 2 times a day before a bowl game. Times have changed for the better. As a matter of fact when I look back on it Iam surprised that more kids didnt die back the. You did get many water breaks and some coaches thought you were a pussy if you wanted water when it was 100 degrees outside and it was the second practice of the day and you were in full pads. PL

CaBisonFan
02-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Earhardt was before his time when it came to prefall football and conditioning. But at that time you still had two a days. He treated the players like men not boys. He explained what you were going to do in practice and why. Even when it came down to conditioning. There were easy practices and some hard. But that was for a reason.
When I was at Iowa the practice were absolutely brutal. This was not only during two a days but during the season as well. We didnt have a very healthy team and not only were you beat up physically but mentally as well. Allot of coaches were that way back then. Woody Hayes actually had his team practice 2 times a day before a bowl game. Times have changed for the better. As a matter of fact when I look back on it Iam surprised that more kids didnt die back the. You did get many water breaks and some coaches thought you were a pussy if you wanted water when it was 100 degrees outside and it was the second practice of the day and you were in full pads. PL

I remember in a high school football game when my brother was playing in Mayville. He had hurt his knee, came limping off the field, and the coach yelled..."what the h... are you doing?!" My brother told him that he had hurt his knee. The coach said, "you have another leg don't you?! Get the h.... out there!"

I wasn't impressed.

Thanks for the perspective. By your comments, it would appear that Erhardt was tough, but also a teacher.

My wife and I were in grad. school at Arizona State in 1979 when Frank Kush was fired. He was one of those in-yir-face tyrants. It eventually caught up with him...much like Woody Hayes.

56BISON73
02-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I remember in a high school football game when my brother was playing in Mayville. He had hurt his knee, came limping off the field, and the coach yelled..."what the h... are you doing?!" My brother told him that he had hurt his knee. The coach said, "you have another leg don't you?! Get the h.... out there!"

I wasn't impressed.

Thanks for the perspective. By your comments, it would appear that Erhardt was tough, but also a teacher.

My wife and I were in grad. school at Arizona State in 1979 when Frank Kush was fired. He was one of those in-yir-face tyrants. It eventually caught up with him...much like Woody Hayes.

Its ironic that I was going to bring up Frank Kush as one of the worst coaches for that type of behavior. PL

CaBisonFan
02-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Its ironic that I was going to bring up Frank Kush as one of the worst coaches for that type of behavior. PL

Ironic indeed.

His firing was announced in Phoenix/Tempe about an hour before we were heading out for the game. It was a pretty big Pac-10 game, but I can't remember who it was against. The crowd spent the entire game yelling..."we want Kush...we want Kush!" Guess they liked his winning ways...at any cost. He's lucky that he didn't kill a player or two during his desert mountain workouts. It was insane.

KC Bison
02-26-2008, 02:29 PM
56Bison73

I just curious. I figured that you played for the Bison but if I understand it that you started out at Iowa? If I'm correct in understanding, what brought you from Iowa to NDSU?

SlickVic
02-26-2008, 04:28 PM
56Bison73

I just curious. I figured that you played for the Bison but if I understand it that you started out at Iowa? If I'm correct in understanding, what brought you from Iowa to NDSU?

playing time prolly

56BISON73
02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
56Bison73

We had a change of coaches in between my frosh and soph years. The new coaches were assholes and abusive. Plus they didnt know squat about Big Ten football.
example--I showed up for prefall foolball at 220lbs as an offensive center. The coach thought I was too heavy so he put me on the fat mans table during two a days. When we went to Ohio State for the first game of the year my weight was 199. They had D-backs bigger than I was. We went full contact everyday of the week except for friday during the season. There is alot more involved but you get the jest of it. (plus coach and I didnt get along)
I played 3/4 of the OSU game. Started the Oregon State , Penn State (on National TV) and Purdue games. I then got and intestinal virus which knocked me out of the line up because I was in the hospital for 4 days. It then took me about 3 weeks to get my strength back. During that time alot of BS was going on with the coaches and I decided that as much as loved playing there it was time to move on. So I contacted NDSU who was my second choice when I was recruited. Erhardt said we cant talk to you while the season is going on. Call us when its over. It just so happened that the Bison were playing Mankato that week end and since I wasnt making the road trip I went home and my mom and I drove up to Mankato to watch the Bison play. After the game I was by the locker room when they came off the field. Earhardt and Kjelberson looked at me and both said HI what the hell are you doing here? I said I was coming to NDSU at which they said we cant talk to you. I said I know I just wanted to let you know that I was coming.
I went back to Iowa. I played in the Indiana game and won back my starting poistion for the Illinois game. On the flight back the coach was walking down the eisle talking to everyone about next year etc. When he got to me a told him to hold his breath because I was leaving. Thought he was going to shit right there in the eisle. :D
So thats the short story on how I ended up at NDSU. :D PL

ps so playing time wasnt an issue

BlueBisonRock
02-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for sharing PL. As a rambunctious Bison fan who graduated one year after you, I was real happy to see you on the field!

:bow:

Steve McMillan
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
What was the weather like that day, in Mankato, way back when?

56BISON73
02-27-2008, 04:06 AM
What was the weather like that day, in Mankato, way back when?

Mac
How are you?
You know that the weather was cold as hell. The week before the bison played they played a game in mud at Mankato. There were holes all over the field so they brought in a road roller to flatten the field out. I think you guys had to play in tennis shoes because cleats wouldnt work on the frozen field.
Hope all is well with you and your lady!! PL

SlickVic
02-27-2008, 05:31 AM
PL playing on national tv at penn state?? my oh my...what year was this? paterno was obviously pacing the sidelines whatd you think of him?

56BISON73
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
PL playing on national tv at penn state?? my oh my...what year was this? paterno was obviously pacing the sidelines whatd you think of him?

When we played on Nat TV it was a home game at Iowa. 1971. Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell were there running backs.
Dont have much of a recollection of Joe Pa as I was pretty busy that day.:D PL

Trim
02-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Slick, I thought of you watching ESPN Classic's best Rose Bowls ever. Showed Paterno in his win over Oregon to complete the undefeated season. my oh my... was Slick alive to get all pissed about Nebraska getting the nod? I can see little toddler Slick throwing a tantrum over that one... my oh my... crew cab baby...

SlickVic
02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Slick, I thought of you watching ESPN Classic's best Rose Bowls ever. Showed Paterno in his win over Oregon to complete the undefeated season. my oh my... was Slick alive to get all pissed about Nebraska getting the nod? I can see little toddler Slick throwing a tantrum over that one... my oh my... crew cab baby...

i was like 8 but chea i got that entire season on dvd that team was so stacked best offense in the history of college football hands down no doubt about it...my oh my was that a machine...it wasnt the indiana game that cost them the title tho it was the big 10 media that blew it for them...think theres still a website that shows it but every ap vote in every big 10 state besides PA voted nebraska #1 which is pretty lame...the 94 michigan game tho my oh my think that there was 10 pro bowlers on the field that day the first time i whatched it and seen the rosters i all most couldnt contain myself...kijana carter chea ;)

56BISON73
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
i was like 8 but chea i got that entire season on dvd that team was so stacked best offense in the history of college football hands down no doubt about it...my oh my was that a machine...it wasnt the indiana game that cost them the title tho it was the big 10 media that blew it for them...think theres still a website that shows it but every ap vote in every big 10 state besides PA voted nebraska #1 which is pretty lame...the 94 michigan game tho my oh my think that there was 10 pro bowlers on the field that day the first time i whatched it and seen the rosters i all most couldnt contain myself...kijana carter chea ;)

Was PSU in the BIG TEN at the time???? PL

Trim
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Was PSU in the BIG TEN at the time???? PL

I think they came in around '91.

BisonAccountant44
02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Looks like wikipedia can't agree. One says they just joined the Big Ten at the start of the '94-'95 season, but the other says '93 was the first for Athletics. I believe '93 is the correct year.

Either way, if what Slick says about the voting is true, I guess some people just don't like to get beat down by the new kids on the block. Good thing we have a playoff system next year, and don't have to worry about our own conference costing us the title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Rose_Bowl