PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Classes around FCS

OldBison
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't know if this has been posted before, but David Coulson of Sports Network liked Appy States recruiting class and Eastern Washington's class (so did Rivals apparently, giving them the #1 spot).

Here is David Coulson's review of teams that had the best recruiting classes in the Gateway:

After a 4-7 campaign, not too many people would have expected much from Illinois State's recruiting efforts, but the Redbirds claimed one of the top classes in FCS as coach Denver Johnson and company emphasized speed.

Highlights include defensive tackle Blake Gumm and defensive back Khenon Hall, a pair of highly-touted transfers from Trinity Valley Community College. But there were some solid high schoolers added as well, with defensive end Nick Broome, defensive back Austin Davis and wide receiver Dekendrick Moncrief, who may bring back memories of Laurent Robinson.

Joining Illinois State with a sparkling recruiting class is a team that has been one of the bottom-feeders of FCS, Indiana State. But the Sycamores have gained some excitement under new coach Trent Miles.

Among the players who will try to turn around Indiana State's fortunes are defensive backs Aaron Archie and Julian Easterly, and defensive ends Nate Williams and Lawrence Young.

Coming off a No. 1 ranking in the regular season, Northern Iowa scored with offensive linemen Kyle Staudt and Tim Sauer, running backs Carlos Anderson, Joe Johnson, Rayon Simmons and De'Andre Vandevender, receiver Kenyad Blair, linebackers Joe Cason and L.J. Fort, athlete Craig Ralls and defensive backs Garrett Scott and Nico Watson.

NDSU nowhere to be seen on his very lengthy list of teams that did well, including Cal Poly. You can catch the whole article here:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4130392.htm

Bisonguy
02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I just thought it was nice of him to mention a couple schools other than Appalachian State. :banghead:

BlueBisonRock
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Do any of these writers follow up on their predictions from 5 years ago?

Lets say that five years ago, a writer picked Left Overshoe University as having the best recruiting class ever. In reality, did they? How did the original prediction compare with the actual on the field results five years later? I find it real hard to find the 'stars' approach to have credibility without a comparison.

Has anyone seen any form of after the fact comparisions or analysis?

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Does anywone know where i can find complete rankings of FCS recruiting classes?

Bisonguy
02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Do any of these writers follow up on their predictions from 5 years ago?

Lets say that five years ago, a writer picked Left Overshoe University as having the best recruiting class ever. In reality, did they? How did the original prediction compare with the actual on the field results five years later? I find it real hard to find the 'stars' approach to have credibility without a comparison.

Has anyone seen any form of after the fact comparisions or analysis?

No, especially not Coulson. He's an ASU homer through and through. He was their beat writer, moved on to also do CSN where all his articles took on an ASU slant, now he's writing for the Sports Network with the same ASU slant.

Bisonguy
02-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Does anywone know where i can find complete rankings of FCS recruiting classes?

ShowingBlitz.com used to have rankings, but there's not really much info on FCS recruits. Most of them don't receive any stars from the ranking services.

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Bisonguy how do you get that picture of the NDSU flags below your Message like that??

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the info too.

Bisonguy
02-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Bisonguy how do you get that picture of the NDSU flags below your Message like that??

Go to 'User CP' > Edit Signature >then upload an image or paste the url in the signature box. Might have to use the img tags around the url

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 02:12 AM
thanks for the info

NDSUstudent
02-23-2008, 02:44 AM
No, especially not Coulson. He's an ASU homer through and through. He was their beat writer, moved on to also do CSN where all his articles took on an ASU slant, now he's writing for the Sports Network with the same ASU slant.

Don't forget he has some kind of crazy grudge against Bohl.

Bisonguy
02-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Don't forget he has some kind of crazy grudge against Bohl.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the "I'll misquote Bohl, and then because what he was misquote could be misconstrued as being a negative comment towards my beloved ASU" piece of journalism he put out last year.