View Full Version : Bison on KFYR Radio

badger04
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Clear Channel Bismarck Joins Bison Radio Network
Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations
Release: 02/20/2008

Courtesy: Bob Nelson, North Dakota State

Buy Photo

North Dakota State University has added Clear Channel Bismarck to the Bison Radio Network of stations starting with the 2008 football season. Clear Channel Bismarck Vice President and General Manager Bob Denver, NDSU Director of Athletics Gene Taylor and NDSU Director of Athletic Broadcasting Jeremy Jorgenson made the announcement today.

The two-year contract between NDSU and Clear Channel Bismarck guarantees coverage of all football games and one basketball game per week.

During the 2008-09 athletic season, all evening kickoff times will air on 550AM KFYR, while the Thursday night opener with Austin Peay on Aug. 28 and all afternoon kickoffs will air on 710AM KXMR.

"Clear Channel Radio (KFYR AM/ESPN 710) is thrilled to once again be carrying the Bison. We’re pleased that NDSU will benefit from increased coverage in Western and Central North Dakota." said Denver.

Primarily due to the station’s location near the beginning of the AM Band and because of North Dakota’s landscape, 550AM KFYR boasts one of the nation’s strongest day and night radio signals. In addition, KXMR is Bismarck–Mandan’s fulltime ESPN affiliate, and has an equally strong signal in daytime hours.

"We are excited to once again be back on with Clear Channel Bismarck. We were able to expand our radio coverage last year across the state and this agreement will solidify and extend that coverage even more. We look forward to bringing exciting Bison football action to our entire state," said Taylor

The move comes as the Bison start playoff eligibility, ending their five-year transition period from NCAA Division II to Division I.

North Dakota State finished with a 10-1 record for the second straight season including a 3-1 ledger in the Great West Football Conference under the direction of head coach Craig Bohl.

The Bison held down the No. 1 spot in the FCS Coaches Top 25 poll for seven weeks during the regular season. NDSU, which finished No. 9 in both final polls, posted road wins over two FBS opponents -- Central Michigan (44-14), two-time champions of the Mid-American Conference, and Minnesota (27-21) of the Big Ten Conference.

North Dakota State is scheduled to begin spring practice Friday, March 21. The Bison will have 15 practice sessions culminating with the annual Spring Game at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 17, in the Fargodome.

Bisonguy
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Great news for radio coverage!!

KilldeerBison
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
This is great news in Western ND!

Bison Dan
02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
What happen to the sioux?

BlueBisonRock
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM

Uhmm, The who?

imabison
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
The WHIOUX?

Hammersmith
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Their contract with Clear Channel was extended in summer 2006. It must've been a two year extention. With the new KVOX on the scene and NDSU's contract with ForumComm expiring before too long, it does make you wonder what's going to happen with both school's media contracts.

Bison Dan
02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Their contract with Clear Channel was extended in summer 2006. It must've been a two year extention. With the new KVOX on the scene and NDSU's contract with ForumComm expiring before too long, it does make you wonder what's going to happen with both school's media contracts.

I wonder if we're just buying time and doing the marketing ourselves?

Bison bison
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
good news, and bad.

i did like that a lot of smaller local stations were part of the network......

NDSU1980
02-20-2008, 09:39 PM
This is GREAT. Now I can listen to the evening games!!! This gives us statewide coverage. We are truly North Dakota's team.

sambini
02-20-2008, 09:57 PM
This is great news. ++++++++++++++

BisonNeil
02-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Does this mean no more "my oh my"?

roadwarrior
02-21-2008, 02:20 AM

No it doesn't.

BlueBisonRock
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM

I read this as more 'My oh My' per capita in ND than the previous coverage. More coverage area. More Bison. Frankly, This should have been in place during the dark ages when I lived in the capitol city.

BisBison
02-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Couldn't be happier in this neck of the woods.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

No_Skill
02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Yes! Much stronger signal than 710. Sweet!

90BISON
02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Finally back to the way it used to be. It will only matter for the non-home games anyway.:D

BisManBison
02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
This is great news!!!

NWNDBison
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
When KFYR radio announced this Wed. afternoon they said Clear Channel's contract with the Sioux ends following this year's hockey season.

WestDak
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
With Clear Channel trying to sell all their other ND stations, you probably won't see another statewide contract either for UND. UND will be left to try city by city to get their games on the air. Since 1270 in Bismarck had NDSU and now lost that, I bet they will wind up with UND football.

THEsocalledfan
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, this is great! Now I can listen to them in Duluth!

Hey, wait a minute....

Before we get all carried away and excited, what is developing on getting games on Fox SportsNet North? I want to see every game on there! Radio on KFYR and ND television network don't do much for the rest of us...

Any updates are appreciated.

Greenie
02-25-2008, 09:32 PM
The goal is to televise all home games (and to have sellout/close to sellout crowds). As most are aware, NDSU doesn't control televising road games. There will continue to be a mixture of local and FSN broadcasts for home games. It would be nice to put all home games on FSN instead, but costs are higher. Another positive is that the Gateway has a TV contract with FSN Midwest and had 4 games on that network last year. Gateway also had 1 on CSTV and 3 on Big Ten Network.

TheBisonator
02-25-2008, 10:16 PM
The goal is to televise all home games (and to have sellout/close to sellout crowds). As most are aware, NDSU doesn't control televising road games. There will continue to be a mixture of local and FSN broadcasts for home games. It would be nice to put all home games on FSN instead, but costs are higher. Another positive is that the Gateway has a TV contract with FSN Midwest and had 4 games on that network last year. Gateway also had 1 on CSTV and 3 on Big Ten Network.

Actually, I believe FSN Midwest had one Gateway game every week for 7 or 8 weeks. No doubt if NDSU ends up on a weekly FSN Gateway game, it'll also be broadcast on FSN North.