PDA

View Full Version : Spring game debuts

tony
02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Part of the fun of the spring game is seeing players for the first time in a game-like situation. I figured I'd put together a list of the Bison who'll be making their Fargodome debuts, barring injuries or something.

Freddie Banks: a DB from the same school as Derrius Colvin, transferred from Mercyhurst (a D2 school) where he saw plenty of playing time as a true freshman. Point of Interest: Seeing whether he has developed enough in his year off to challenge for playing time.

Eddie Beson: a LB who almost got his redshirt pulled. Point of Interest: Holy cow, he almost got his redshirt pulled when we had a lot of great linebackers!

Chris Bigley: A good-sized DB who signed in 2006 but didn't show up in the stats last year. Point of Interest: Two years at NDSU, time to see where he fits in.

Coulter Boyer: We've heard plenty - in fact, it sounds like the same stuff I heard about Joe Lardonois when he was a freshmen. Points of Interest: Is he really unblockable? Is he bigger or faster from his time in the Bison weight training program?

Will Britt: A walk-on offensive lineman (6'2 290). Point of Interest: Being a walk-on is a tough road to the field, can he make it?

MIke Brower: Not a freshman, not really making a debut, but who knows what position they'll try him at? All I know is that he plays all out. Points of Interest: How has recovered from the knee injury? What position will he be at?

Derrius Colvin: Again, not really a debut as he played a lot as a true freshman. However, he was injured and sat out the whole 2007 season Point of Interest: How's the injury situation and how has he developed.

Cornick, Paul: A 2007 signee on the offensive line. Point of Interest: The Bison need some guys to step up on the offensive line. Will he be one of them?

George Danilkowicz: 2007 signee, defensive tackle. Big guy. Point of Interest: Duh, he's a tackle... hard to find. Can he be the next Gratzek or Fairbairn?

Daniel Eaves: 2007 signee, a very fast DB. Point of Interest: Need some depth at DB desperately.

Josh Hazley-Freeman: 2007 signee, listed as a LB. Point of Interest: Wondering if they are thinking of him being a safety or which LB spot he'll be at.

Warren Holloway: 2007 signee, a fast, big WR with good vertical. Lots of talk about him. Point of Interest: How are his hands, blocking, and routes?

Garrett Johnson: 2007 signee at DE. Big guy and there was a lot of excitement when he signed. Point of Interest: How will he fit into the 2008 defensive line?

Zach Johnson: 2007 preferred walk-on, offensive line. Point of Interest: What position? Center?

Seth Krueger: 2007 signee. A 6'3 receiver who should be able to get some elevation (did jumps in track). Point of Interest: We have had very, very good luck with WI receivers in his mold. I haven't read much about him in the papers but he sure seems to have the tools.

D. J. McNorton: A 2007 signee with a pretty amazing highlight video. Point of Interest: Has his own fan club already... after hearing so much for so long, I just want to see him on the field in a Bison uni.

Nick Mertens: Yeah, he's been around but this will probably be his debut as the #1 QB. Point of Interest: Replacing Steve Walker... yeah, no pressure there.

Courtney Mitchell: A highly-touted 2006 signee who left the team for personal reasons. Point of Interest: Will he return this year? I'm rooting for him, if only because I'd like to see all our players get their degrees.

Matt Phillips: 2006 signee, NG, from Joe Lardinois's school. Point of Interest: Bohl didn't seem too excited about the defensive line depth so it sounds like Phillips needs to step up.

Austin Richard: Top recruit in North Dakota in 2007. Lots of excitement when he signed. Point of Interest: Has had back problems I think - being 6'2 349 can't help. Will he be in game shape and healthy?

Blake Sczepanski: Walked on in 2007. Almost sure he could have gotten D2 schollies. Point of Interest: I just like seeing 9-man guys prove people wrong.

Luke Senger: 2007 signee who made Montanans cry in the Badlands Bowl as a linebacker. Point of Interest: Love to see a Bismarck guy excel... Bismarck being the next best thing to Mandan.

Jimmy Sharpe: A 2006 signee at DE (might have switched from TE). Point of Interest: Can he get into the rotation?

Scott Stocynski: A 2007 signee at DE, on the small side. Point of Interest: Seems like he might need another year to develop but who knows?

Jordan Vadnais: A 2007 preferred walk-on from Fargo South. Point of Interest: I really think he will end up earning a spot on the offensive line at some point in his career. Will it be this year?

Matt Veldman: A 2007 signee who played WR at 6'7. Man, he really stuck out at the MN game... seemed to tower above the other players. OTOH, I felt like sending him down a sandwich. Point of Interest: Yeah, he looks skinny then but I think he could be a great one.

Matt Voigtlander: A 2007 signee at RB who doesn't have his own fan club but who was on his way to being an FBS signee before a subpar senior year. Point of Interest: I think there is more potential there than his "just OK" senior season might lead me to think.

Chris Wellenstein: 2006 signee, a huge offensive lineman. Point of Interest: Things have been very quiet. I wonder if he is still on the team or not.

tony
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Bah, if I had known how long this was going to take, I probably would have broken it into two posts. As it is, I probably missed some guys because I was in a rush.

Please point out mistakes and omissions and add your comments about who to look for in the spring game.

tcbison
02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Nice list Tony. I am most interested in seeing how Mike Brower fits into the picture. I think someone mentioned he would be going back to LB. Not sure if that is true or not. Last year at the spring game I thought he ran just as hard as Roehl at RB.

Veldman is someone I would like to see get some playing time as well. If he could stretch the defense at the TE position he could really be a weapon.

twowheels
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Hopefully Ebel, Arnte and Backowie step up. Ebel has appeared in 18 of the 22 games in his 2 years, Backowie comes from a big program but has not played enouch yet to see where he is at and Arnte like Richards was a top recurit but I feel is in better shape than Richards and has shown some promise.I have noticed in past posts these three players seem to be forgotten alot, I for one see big things comming from these guys and they are going to play alot of football for NDSU.As a old linemen I may apear bias to the o-line so I watch these positions with a special interrest.

SDbison
02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Bah, if I had known how long this was going to take, I probably would have broken it into two posts. As it is, I probably missed some guys because I was in a rush.

Please point out mistakes and omissions and add your comments about who to look for in the spring game.

Nice summary Tony!
Looks like there are about 6 guys on OL and 6 guys on DL that we should be watching to see if they step up. Same for the DB's as I would add Richard Bowman since he is coming back from surgery on his spine. I see you had 3 guys at LB and 3 at WR who will have a chance to make the two deep roster. And of course 2 guys at RB who will be fun to see if they can somehow break into a very deep lineup. Last but not least, our one and only hope for spring ball at QB will be closely monitored to see if he is truly a leader and a performer. One area you did not mention is Punter......is the walk on John Prelvitz still with the team? Does he have any potential? Seems there are a couple areas where incoming freshman in the fall may need to step up big time to help bring out the best.

Gully
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Good summary...now I'm really pissed that I can't be at the game. it would be fund to see Mertens, DJ and Veldman, especially.

I sure hope Brower finds a place to contribute....talk about dedication, after what he's been through (injury and position changes) a lot of people would have given up or transferred down. Even if it's special teams, it would be nice to see him on the field.

SDbison
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Hopefully Ebel, Arnte and Backowie step up. Ebel has appeared in 18 of the 22 games in his 2 years, Backowie comes from a big program but has not played enouch yet to see where he is at and Arnte like Richards was a top recurit but I feel is in better shape than Richards and has shown some promise.I have noticed in past posts these three players seem to be forgotten alot, I for one see big things comming from these guys and they are going to play alot of football for NDSU.As a old linemen I may apear bias to the o-line so I watch these positions with a special interrest.
twowheels, I am an old lineman too and look closely at what is going on there. Interesting how the new recruits for OL this year don't have the height of guys like Ebel and Arndt who are 6'6". Also, many of the other starting OL were in the 6'4" to 6'5" range. The OL guys NDSU just signed this month were only 6'2" or 6'3". Just curious, is there a reason for going for shorter O-lineman as it always seemed in the past OL coaches would get the biggest frame they could to build up and utilize for more size / push on the line. Are the new recruits quicker and more athletic so height isn't that big of a factor? Is it because we have shorter QB's on the roster? One guy who seems to be oversize for his frame is Austin Richard at 6'2" and 349lb. Now if he was 6'6" and maybe something in the low 300's that would be OK. Hopefully Austin was on a program to drop 40 or 50 pounds this past winter.
In summary, I was impressed last year at how athletic Arndt and Ebel look as they are just over 300lb but didn't look like they are fat. Seems this would be more of the size (6'4"+) and athleticism that NDSU should be able to recruit at the DI level. Anybody else notice the lack of height with this years OL recruits?

90BISON
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
twowheels, I am an old lineman too and look closely at what is going on there. Interesting how the new recruits for OL this year don't have the height of guys like Ebel and Arndt who are 6'6". Also, many of the other starting OL were in the 6'4" to 6'5" range. The OL guys NDSU just signed this month were only 6'2" or 6'3". Just curious, is there a reason for going for shorter O-lineman as it always seemed in the past OL coaches would get the biggest frame they could to build up and utilize for more size / push on the line. Are the new recruits quicker and more athletic so height isn't that big of a factor? Is it because we have shorter QB's on the roster? One guy who seems to be oversize for his frame is Austin Richard at 6'2" and 349lb. Now if he was 6'6" and maybe something in the low 300's that would be OK. Hopefully Austin was on a program to drop 40 or 50 pounds this past winter.
In summary, I was impressed last year at how athletic Arndt and Ebel look as they are just over 300lb but didn't look like they are fat. Seems this would be more of the size (6'4"+) and athleticism that NDSU should be able to recruit at the DI level. Anybody else notice the lack of height with this years OL recruits?

Aren't those the size (height wise anyway) guys that pretty much everbody wants, especially the big schools. I would think there are only so many of those guys, good enough caliber to play D1 ball, to go around. Being an old lineman, if you had to compromise between a big frame and a guy with really good skills and excellent technique that's maybe a step quicker, which would you take?:confused:

SDbison
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Aren't those the size (height wise anyway) guys that pretty much everbody wants, especially the big schools. I would think there are only so many of those guys, good enough caliber to play D1 ball, to go around. Being an old lineman, if you had to compromise between a big frame and a guy with really good skills and excellent technique that's maybe a step quicker, which would you take?:confused:
I guess that is what I am asking.....are these new recruits just that much better (faster, stronger agile) even though not as tall? Seems NDSU has had quite a few big guys on the line over the years. Yeah, I know getting all 6'4"+ is unrealistic, and not really necessary, but the OL roster currently has quite a few tall guys as upperclassman. Maybe this recruiting year was thin for the bigger O-lineman so NDSU got the best they could. I believe there was a couple big guys lost, Campion to Minnesota, and another I can't remember who I think went to UNI. I don't think my question is out of line. Always great to see a bunch of big and tall guys come out of the huddle and line up across from a much smaller D-line. I trust if NDSU recruits them the O-line will be developed to their max potential. Discipline, knowledge and execution are other big factors for lineman. Rare false starts and blocking as drawn up / changed on the line are key. So I guess size doesn't matter....... ;)

BisonNeil
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Nice post Tony!

Interestingly, I too was looking at the roster and wondering where Wellenstein will fit in. He looks good in his uniform, but like Backowski he may not be as strong as he should be given his frame.

I also wondered about Danilkowicz, but mainly because of his knee injury. Didn't he hurt it his senior year which is why his stock dropped from a possible FBS recruit? Maybe my memory is fading but I have it in my head that he was a big signee last year. Overall I think we have more depth at OL than DL.

Some of your comments about the DBs made me think also. Lots of names there who have a chance to make an impact, either on D or special teams.

90BISON
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess that is what I am asking.....are these new recruits just that much better (faster, stronger agile) even though not as tall? Seems NDSU has had quite a few big guys on the line over the years. Yeah, I know getting all 6'4"+ is unrealistic, and not really necessary, but the OL roster currently has quite a few tall guys as upperclassman. Maybe this recruiting year was thin for the bigger O-lineman so NDSU got the best they could. I believe there was a couple big guys lost, Campion to Minnesota, and another I can't remember who I think went to UNI. I don't think my question is out of line. Always great to see a bunch of big and tall guys come out of the huddle and line up across from a much smaller D-line. I trust if NDSU recruits them the O-line will be developed to their max potential. Discipline, knowledge and execution are other big factors for lineman. Rare false starts and blocking as drawn up / changed on the line are key. So I guess size doesn't matter....... ;)

As for the first part, only time will tell. Yes we have always seemed to have gotten really big frame kids for the O-line. From a DB / LB standpoint that has to horribly intimidating to have one of these guys pulling and coming directly at you with a full head of steam, just hope you're quick enough to get out of the way, it's that whole physics thing. No I don't think your question was out of line. I am confident that Craig got the best guys that they could, also sure that there were a couple that they would have like to have had that got away, but can't worry about those. As for the last part, whatever helps you sleep at night.;)

BisonNeil
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM

I have commented before on the lack of height in this years OL recruits compared to who NDSU already has on the roster (either here or on Bisonsports). I don't know why that is, but it is easy to think that it is because Mohler is like only 5'11" they recruited shorter OL so he see the field (I know, he is alternatively listed at 6' or 6'1", but if you check out the QB photo from his HS and compare his height with the guy to his left, who is listed at 5'11", Jose is 5'11", no doubt in my mind). But this rationale is probably too simplistic.

I wonder if the kind of guys NDSU has been getting that are 6'5" to 6'6" tall are not quite as athletic as they want, or if with our power running game they don't get their pads low enough to get the push the coaches want? I dunno. It could also be that this year all of the guys they could recruit were only 6'2"-6'3" and it just happenstance.

But I agree with you. I have always liked the past few years when our OL tower over the competition on the DL. I think that also has impressed the announcers at some of the games, like MN, when they see NDSU has a line that compares favorably with the B10.

BisonNeil
02-18-2008, 03:47 PM

On second thought, I do know they went after Sauer hard, who is 6'8", but lost him to Northern Iowa. I think he was a huge fish that got away from Bohl that he wanted pretty badly.

extremerouge
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
thanks for all the info Tony!

90BISON
02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Keeping with the current theme of the whole "size" thing, looked back at some old programs from the mid 80's classes until about 90 to see what the heights of some of our lineman were back then,

Matt Tracy, 6'-2"
Carl Happel, 6'-0"
Rick Riemer, 6'-3"
Tom Smith, 6'-3"
Paul Nielsen, 6'-0"
Mike Favor, 6'-1" (would take 10 of him today)
Dave Marion, 6'-3"
Mike Smith, 6'-01/2"
Craig Johnson, 6'-3"

I purposely left out the guys over 6'-3". It seems to me like from the late 80's, early 90's the bigger frame OL guys seemed to be getting to be more the rule than the exception. My point being that some of these guys were really good and even though that was a different era I have no doubt that a lot of these guys would still make the cut.:nod:

twowheels
02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I look at the hight difference in being a matter of need we are not deep in the guard and center position where the 6 foot to 6'3 guys play but at the tackle position we have the size and numbers needed.We have Buckman 6'5 300, Ebel 6'6 305, Backowski 6'6 285, Arndt 6'6 297, Cornick 6'5 295 and Wellingstein( depending on his recovery from his 2 knee injuries, he has been working hard to get back in shape,I think that why we have'nt heard much about him.) 6'6 293. That's enouch big tackles, they all have talent and will play and if you look at what class they are in we have tackles for awhile.We have Foster, Harrington and Septic at proven guard and center we needed to bring in more for those positions at this time. The big kid that went to UNI would have been a good caught but for now our size at tackle is there. You don't want to big a number at any one spot you get to many and the playing time go down for some and you might lose them to tranfer, everyone wants playing time or at least a look ahead that its in the future even for big old ugly linemen.

56BISON73
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I look at the hight difference in being a matter of need we are not deep in the guard and center position where the 6 foot to 6'3 guys play but at the tackle position we have the size and numbers needed.We have Buckman 6'5 300, Ebel 6'6 305, Backowski 6'6 285, Arndt 6'6 297, Cornick 6'5 295 and Wellingstein( depending on his recovery from his 2 knee injuries, he has been working hard to get back in shape,I think that why we have'nt heard much about him.) 6'6 293. That's enouch big tackles, they all have talent and will play and if you look at what class they are in we have tackles for awhile.We have Foster, Harrington and Septic at proven guard and center we needed to bring in more for those positions at this time. The big kid that went to UNI would have been a good caught but for now our size at tackle is there. You don't want to big a number at any one spot you get to many and the playing time go down for some and you might lose them to tranfer, everyone wants playing time or at least a look ahead that its in the future even for big old ugly linemen.

if there is an over abundance of players at a certain position in the O-line a few can be moved to other o-line positions. The trick is to have numerous lineman that know how to play a couple of different O-line positions. PL

X-Factor
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
For example, Arnt at 6'6" is playing guard.

bisoner1011
02-18-2008, 07:33 PM
this is going to be the spring that perles will earn his paycheck trying to get last years oline recuirts ready to play. this past season granted they were on the scout team they seamed to lack the get after it attitude and motivation, which will not fly with perles. he will need to toughen them up this spring and see who really wants to play. they seemed to be complacent with the current success of the program, they will have a rude awakening about a week or so into spring when they are expected to produce.
Back to the tackle situation, we are pretty set with the tackles and have good experience and depth with Buckman probaly being moved to left tackle and ebel, backowski and ardnt fighting for the right tackle spot. And with ardnt playing inside last year will give him an advantage to the others who have never been inside where the real fun happens, and it will help him with the blocking schemes having played other positions.
The reason they have been getting the shorter more athletic guys is for the guard and center spots which will all be open after this year and you can never have enough able bodies to play inside.

SDbison
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Lots of good discussion regarding the O-line. Thanks everyone for your comments. Seems like we should be situated well for the next couple years. Just hope the new guys can come up to speed fast and we don't see a bunch of missed assignments and jumping offsides. When you think of this past year or two the Bison did pretty well keeping in their stance until the snap. Nothing kills a drive worse than one or two procedure type penalties.

90BISON
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
if there is an over abundance of players at a certain position in the O-line a few can be moved to other o-line positions. The trick is to have numerous lineman that know how to play a couple of different O-line positions. PL

I think that is an ideal situation, but is it as necessary as it maybe was 10 or 20 years ago when you maybe weren't as deep at certain line positions? Where you can go from a 1st to a 2nd string guy without a huge dropoff in skill level.

90BISON
02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Lots of good discussion regarding the O-line. Thanks everyone for your comments. Seems like we should be situated well for the next couple years. Just hope the new guys can come up to speed fast and we don't see a bunch of missed assignments and jumping offsides. When you think of this past year or two the Bison did pretty well keeping in their stance until the snap. Nothing kills a drive worse than one or two procedure type penalties.

Absolutely.:nod:

BisonNeil
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Arndt is listed on roster as an OG, not OT. I don't know if that is accurate, but that is what position he is listed as.

bisoner1011
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
ardnt played guard all last year which is why the roster says that, but this year he will play wherever he can contribute the most to the oline. most likely start out fighting for the open tackle spot.

Jdubs21
02-19-2008, 01:17 AM
im actually not excited to see one player in particular...im excited to see bison football in general!!! im going through horrible withdrawls

SDbison
02-19-2008, 01:42 AM
im actually not excited to see one player in particular...im excited to see bison football in general!!! im going through horrible withdrawls
It all starts in the trenches......O line and D-line, much as they get little credit they are the basis for any good team!

56BISON73
02-19-2008, 01:50 AM
I think that is an ideal situation, but is it as necessary as it maybe was 10 or 20 years ago when you maybe weren't as deep at certain line positions? Where you can go from a 1st to a 2nd string guy without a huge dropoff in skill level.

Its more necessary now than it was 10 or twenty years ago with the scholly limits. I was at an Iowa game two years ago when they went through 3 O-Centers in one game. You read about it all the time on how an injury wont be a big blow because other people in the line know the position and can play it well and his back up will thern step in without a drop off in talent. PL

X-Factor
02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I remember from last fall the battle at RT between Ebel and Buckman. Buckman won, but it was close. Buckman has really turned into a star on the o-line. The few times I have seen Ebel on the field he has looked like a solid lineman as well. He has lost some weight since signing with the Bison has has improved his footwork. I could see these two guys taking left and right tackle respectively. I don't know where that leaves Backowski, Wellenstein, Arnt, and Cornick since I know very little about these guys. Could be a very health battle for the RT spot this spring!

Inside we are looking at Harrington at center. Then a battle for the two guard spots between Septak, Foster, and a slew of RFr or tackles playing guard. Looks like there could be a ton of depth to work with. With Septak and Foster having a great deal of experience the last few years I might have them with a slight advantage over the other players.

Like last year, they will probably wait until fall camp do decide on starters. Let the players compete over the summer instead of getting a complacent attitude. That is the way I would do it :)

ol' ball coach
02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
This is the time of year every coach loves. This is the time everyone is on a level playing field. The one thing that I know is the o-line wll be one of the best in FCS. Coach Perles will have the dept that he needs to show case our running game. I'm a frim believer that the o-line is the key to the bison's success. Our running game is what everbody realize that they have to stop, so we should see alot of eight man fronts. This time last year we had no idea who our RB's were going to be.We started out with Blinco 1st, Roehl 2nd, and Bowers 3rd. My how things have changed. Now with Roehl stepping up after the spring game to be the hands down #1 RB. With a few new additions to the team in the fall things changed again. Now Roehl is still the #1 RB and had a great year, but there is Paschall in the #2 spot, and Blinco in the #3 spot. This spring we'll have some real competion for a few of these spots. Add two new players to this mix. The word around the locker room is, that now DJ McNorton has a year under his belt in the weight room; and knows the offence, it's his time to shine. DJ has made alot of noise on the scout team last year against the 1st D. With all the noise DJ made with out getting on the field last year; don't be surprise if he get's just as many carries as the #1 and #2 RB. Also don't be suprise if you see Roehl with more of a FB role. Word is that Roehl knows at the next level he will be a blocking back and needs to show the NFL scouts that he can block. I think the coaches want to really see if DJ can do what did last year on the scout team. This is the deepest NDSU has ever been at the RB spot.

bisonhusker
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I agree about DJ. I spoke to a coach recently who told me he would be heard from alot this year. Also really wanted to talk about how good the 6'7 TE is going to be. Came in at 220 and is now 245. (Veldman). Said that he couldn't believe he is not at U of M. Great to hear. The coach really talked about the new QB as well. Couldn't believe he wasn't out on the West Coast at a mid major. He has alot of ability.

We have a ton of offensive lineman. I like that. The RB position is just silly deep, and we have about 4 to 5 great TE's. I love it.

twowheels
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
All the OL talk, The current Allstate, (I think), commercial about OL and them protecting their turf is so right on and brings back the old feelings. Oh ya

tony
02-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey, great news, sounds like Courtney Mitchell is really back on the team. Nice job by Kolpack following up on that.