PDA

View Full Version : Roster Size

BlueKeyAlum
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Bison Blog article on the roster size of women's basketball teams:

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=21236

gobison1
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I guess I am going to politely DISAGREE with Mr. Kolpack's view on carrying 10 people on a basketball team. Having an extra 5 players outside of 1st and 2nd strings gives you a great scout team to run the opposing teams plays. Dealing with moody bench players who are redshirting (what a novel idea) is something that a good head coach will prepare their incoming players for. Much like Coach Bohl or Coach Phillips (Miles with the Fab 4) do with their players. College athletes need to realize that when they step into a big time program their chances of making an impact right away are not great. Some players are good enough to do just that but not all the time. Just because you are not a 2nd string players does not mean you will not see the floor. Yes, your time will be limited but the way knees are blowing out around here you never know when your # will be called. Sorry Jeff, but I believe you are dead wrong.

Greenie
02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
The NCAA should change the women's BB limit to 13 (to mirror the men). This would allow roughly 2-3 redshirts, and 10-11 active players per year. 15 is too many, and the NCAA is looking into this. If the NCAA dropped the women's number to 13, they would add 2 scholarships to other women's programs to equal things out.

Bison bison
02-14-2008, 04:08 PM
It would also spread the talent out a little bit too (a good thing for a mid-major).

tony
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
With 10 players how likely is it that you are going to have 10 healthy players by the end of the season?

bisonaudit
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
It would also spread the talent out a little bit too (a good thing for a mid-major).

I'm goint to disagree with this arguement on principle. Many of us can remember when we were perpetually atop DII football in the days of more than 36 scholarships and this is exatly the arguement that turned the entire division into a joke.

TransAmBison
02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm goint to disagree with this arguement on principle. Many of us can remember when we were perpetually atop DII football in the days of more than 36 scholarships and this is exatly the arguement that turned the entire division into a joke.
Ahhh, now there is a good point.

bisonaudit
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Ahhh, now there is a good point.

In spite of the fact that I can't type. :(

90BISON
02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
In spite of the fact that I can't type. :(

That is obveeously optshional on this bored anywaye.;)

Bison bison
02-14-2008, 11:29 PM

(heaven forbid you level the playing field.)

bisonaudit
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
(heaven forbid you level the playing field.)

There are at least 4 seperate playing fields to choose from already. DI, DII, DIII, NAIA...

We new the rules going in. We've been here 4+ years and the rules haven't changed.

When we were sitting on the crown of the DII playing field the answer to 'level the playing field' that we prefered was not, 'cut off the top of the crown' it was 'fill in the low areas.' Why should the answer be any different now?

Bison bison
02-15-2008, 08:06 PM
?

accountant say what?

bisonaudit
02-15-2008, 09:07 PM
This might help.

http://140.254.84.203/wiki/index.php/Crowned_field

DORMIE
02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
The last few comments have rather gotten off course. What else is new. Amy did mention yesterday that smaller was a little easier to handle. The way it looks, she will have 5 returning, 2 injured returning, 1 redshirt, 2 incoming and possibly 2 more for a total of 12. A fairly workable number. Maybe should have 1 more. I asker her about SDSU. Next year he'll have 4 Sr, 4 Jr, 4 So, 3 incoming and 1 transfer for 16. I asked her if that was a lot. She said that most people don't realize that all his players don't usually stay.