PDA

View Full Version : Possible Gopher transfer?

tony
02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=729009

Shane Potter was one of the most highly-touted HS recruits out of Minnesota last year despite having an ACL injury in the first game of his senior year of football. In kind of twist, this gave his teammate, Matt Veldman, more playing time at WR.

Total speculation on their part, but goldsports.net figures that Shane will end up at NDSU or St. Cloud State (his brother played at SCSU).

Hammersmith
02-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Assuming his knee has healed up well, it would be great to get him. Considering he was getting looks from several Big Ten schools, I'd have to guess he's got pretty good speed. Put that together with Mertens' arm and you've got a deep threat to open up the line for our RBs. It would be nice to have another athletic safety for the next three years.

p.s. I miss the old strikeout. It was nice when you were making a fool out of yourself. [/whining] :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

almost there

sambini
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=729009

Shane Potter was one of the most highly-touted HS recruits out of Minnesota last year despite having an ACL injury in the first game of his senior year of football. In kind of twist, this gave his teammate, Matt Veldman, more playing time at WR.

Total speculation on their part, but goldsports.net figures that Shane will end up at NDSU or St. Cloud State (his brother played at SCSU).

Thanks Tony for the info.

tony
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that no matter where he transfers, Shane is going to play safety.

Bison bison
02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
more secondary players is a good thing.

i can't believe how well ours did last year.

bisonmike2
02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
more secondary players is a good thing.

i can't believe how well ours did last year.

Our secondary was solid last year and we are getting more guys back in the fall. Too bad this dude is'nt a big tackle or DE that wants to play right away. Anyway, if this dude wants to go to NDSU that would be sweet.

bisonhusker
02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I think he could be an impact starter.

Bison Dan
02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I think he could be an impact starter.

I wonder if he's coming in for a visit?

X-Factor
02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Why is potter now playing safety? I thought the Gophers recruited him very heavily as a WR.

WildBill
02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Why is potter now playing safety? I thought the Gophers recruited him very heavily as a WR.

Nope he was recruited more as a DB. He's a great kid who just got caught up in the numbers game.

BeckerBison
02-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Potter was a good running back in high school. Mason recruited him as a Junior to be a DB and offered him a scholarship as a junior. During the first game of his Sr. season he tore up a knee. He spent the rest of his Sr. season and a redshirt year at Minnesota rehabing. He has gotten taller and bigger and is still pretty fast. He is telling friends that he will likely end up at NDSU.

Jdubs21
02-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Potter was a good running back in high school. Mason recruited him as a Junior to be a DB and offered him a scholarship as a junior. During the first game of his Sr. season he tore up a knee. He spent the rest of his Sr. season and a redshirt year at Minnesota rehabing. He has gotten taller and bigger and is still pretty fast. He is telling friends that he will likely end up at NDSU.

Where are u gettin this info at

Bisontug
02-19-2008, 03:53 AM

Hope he's right... Potter would be a nice addition to the team :nod:

I think we've had this discussion before, but a transfer from 1A could play immediately at a 1AA school, but not vice versa.... correct ??

Let me know when it happens BeckerBison :D

lakesbison
02-19-2008, 06:07 AM
beckerbison is right.

im buddys with the lundeens & Hegna's down in becker. Potter is going to end up at NDSU, even though his buddys goto St Cloud State *or 13th grade for most central minnesota kids.

Potter would be an impact player at NDSU and play right away if his knee holds up.

Should be 2-3 gopher players stilll out there looking for a team after 7 players left last year.

tony
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I think we've had this discussion before, but a transfer from 1A could play immediately at a 1AA school, but not vice versa.... correct ??

Yep, you are right.

bisonhusker
02-19-2008, 02:05 PM
I like this kid alot! I love the transfers.

Jdubs21
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
do we even have a schollie for him or how does that work?

AEBison1998
02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
We have two defensive tackles that backed out at the 11th hour. We must have those two at least.

BisonNeil
02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
beckerbison is right.

im buddys with the lundeens & Hegna's down in becker. Potter is going to end up at NDSU, even though his buddys goto St Cloud State *or 13th grade for most central minnesota kids.

Potter would be an impact player at NDSU and play right away if his knee holds up.

Should be 2-3 gopher players stilll out there looking for a team after 7 players left last year.

So Potter was listed as a DB on Goopher (not misspelled) roster, safety or cornerback, anyone know?

And when you say he should play right away, do you mean start, or see playing time? If you mean CB, I doubt it, we have guys back and are sitting pretty well. If you mean safety, I think there is a real need for depth at both SS and FS, so I would agree he could see the field. I don't know about aceing out a resident starter, however.

lakesbison
02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Strong Safety. dude is HUGE and FAST.. imagine a bigger/faster craig dahl., but Dahl was a gamer.. big time!

I can see him playing THIS YEAR, If he comes. starting by end of the year

BeckerBison
02-20-2008, 01:44 AM

Becker is a pretty small town. Football is the main sport and talk of the town. :bow:

Jdubs21
02-20-2008, 02:25 AM
We have two defensive tackles that backed out at the 11th hour. We must have those two at least.

what defensive tackles backed out?

lakesbison
02-20-2008, 02:30 AM
the northern illinois kid.. and the Xerxes kid from california.

AEBison1998
02-20-2008, 02:31 AM
There was a second JUCO from California (Xerxes Griffin) and a high schooler who ended up at Northern Illinois (Lawson?). You can never have too many DT's. Hopefully they can find another guy or one of the young guys steps up and surprises.

AEBison1998
02-20-2008, 02:39 AM
beckerbison is right.

Who are the other players/positions?

BisonNeil
02-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Kolpack reported on area voices that NDSU has one scholie left, that the Bison coaches have Potter's tape, but have not looked at it yet. My guess they are looking for a DL. Walker Lee Ashley where are you....

Kolpack:

--Somebody asked about d-back Shane Potter transferring from the Gophers to NDSU. The Bison coaches have his tape but have yet to evaluate it. NDSU has one scholarship open, so I'm guessing they're going to be patient about it.

Jdubs21
02-21-2008, 03:06 AM
I sure hope they have a monster lined up because it would be a shame to miss out on this kid

tony
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Shane is not enrolled at NDSU by this time, he wouldn't be able to participate in spring drills anyway, would he? I'm kind of guessing that's why the staff isn't rushing.

OldBisonFan
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
What do you do if you are a Bison coach? Do you give this schollie to him or do you look to fill a need at a different position. Do the coaches feel comfortable with the safeties they have so they pass on this player and use the spot on a DL?

bisonhusker
02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I think we need a stud safety as much as we need a stud D lineman. I really like our younger D line, and expect a couple people to step up...especially a couple guys that redshirted. I hope we get this kid.

BENTRIM
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I talked to a few people from Becker about Shane's future. They said he's planning on visiting NDSU in the near future. He's also considering So. Illinois, SCSU and Morris. Randy Hedberg (ex-head coach at SCSU) is the QB coach at SIU. I'm sure he followed Potter's career at Becker closely and knows what kind of talent he brings. He also signed Shane's older brother Derek at SCSU a couple years ago, so he knows the family well. As for Morris, I heard that a number of former Becker players are considering transferring to Morris to play together and relive the glory days of high school. For most kids that sounds like a lot of fun, but I sure hope Shane looks past that and ends up at NDSU. He is a big-time player, unfortunately he's had the injury bug dating back to 9th grade.

OldBison
02-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we need a stud safety as much as we need a stud D lineman. I really like our younger D line, and expect a couple people to step up...especially a couple guys that redshirted. I hope we get this kid.

Not sure we have enough DTs yet. May be good at DE, not sure I agree with # bodies with potential at DT.

lakesbison
02-21-2008, 06:18 PM
morris aint happening.

SCSU is like 13th grade for becker kids. so yea that's a problem.

SIU, Randy will try hard, but doubt shane is going there.

NDSU should be where he ends up with Veldmann pulling on him and if he wants ANY SHOT at playing after college (which people back in his junior year were thinking that he was THAT GOOD)

but, yea, he isn't in school spring semester, so there really isn't a rush, and YES that is BAD news for NDSU cuz it gives others time to push him somewhere retarded, (like st cloud or morris)

sambini
02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
IS Randy Hedberg still at St. Cloud? I THOUGHT HE GOT FIRED?

lakesbison
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
sambini.. hes at SIU now... read up my brother... ha ha

lakesbison
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
OK OK... NEWSFLASH.

I got a "BUDDY" that will be with Shane this weekend... he is going to get the LOW DOWN..

Seems like it boils down to this:

Shane is a star in becker, people bow to him, he's the bomb basically and he doesnt want to leave that area, and he knows if he goes to SCSU he will be that Star and all his family and buds can party with him.. bla bla bla.....

OR..

Veldmann talks him into NDSU and he realizes that he might actually have a shot at the NFL if he blossoms in a quality football situation.

FINALLY.. my "BUDDY" says, Shane was told he'd have a great shot at Starting at the U of Minnesota last year at the rate his rehab was going, now Minnesota got a Juco Safety transfer..

SO MR POTTER... Get up here and play some football.!!!

p.s- my opinion after a few phone calls is that POTTER plays RIGHT away if he gets his butt up here.. He is THAT GOOD!!

BeckerBison
02-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Potter is not going to end up playing at NDSU after all. So no need to worry about a scholarship or enrolling in school. Things changed this week.

It seems a bit strange but look for him to end up at Morris.:confused:

NorthernBison
02-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Morris?

It's been a while but I remember UMM Football as being worse than a lot of High School teams.

sambini
02-22-2008, 04:08 AM
sambini.. hes at SIU now... read up my brother... ha ha Thanks for the update Lakes. Morris wtf....

lakesbison
02-22-2008, 06:51 AM
theres like 5-6 becker kids going to morris and playing football and baskebtall and baseball together..

its a joke.... if he goes there. ill go down and slap him.

problem with central minnesota kids *yes Im one of them* is they all just wanna party too much.

Mr. Burgundy
02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Does Kevin Loge still play at Morris?

Lakes...don't go punch him....It looks like you already got punched.........

KTF
02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
So where's the proof that he is not being offered by NDSU? I heard that he is coming.

aces1180
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
theres like 5-6 becker kids going to morris and playing football and baskebtall and baseball together..

its a joke.... if he goes there. ill go down and slap him.

problem with central minnesota kids *yes Im one of them* is they all just wanna party too much.

Nothing wrong with partying...Just need to do it at the right time and place...The place being Fargo. ;)

lakesbison
02-22-2008, 04:21 PM
He will be coming... . . i got an insider working on it.

BeckerBison
02-23-2008, 01:16 AM
He will be coming... . . i got an insider working on it.

You are wrong. :smh: He wants to play this fall and have fun.

He hasn't played in 2 years and will see planty of it at Morris this fall.

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Man thats too bad, I wish he woulda picked a good football team over having fun. Wining is fun isn't it?!?!?!?:banghead:

Bisontug
02-23-2008, 01:59 AM
You are wrong. :smh: He wants to play this fall and have fun.

He hasn't played in 2 years and will see planty of it at Morris this fall.

Well BeckerBison... you are usually right on these things (painful to admit..:banghead: ) ,so that would be an unfortunate loss.... but the coaching staff will find another guy that WANTS to play and COMPETE against the best and be a part of Bison Tradition..

So what division is Morris anyways.... Class 5A in the MSHL ??
Best of luck to Mr. Potter...

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Yeah that is too bad, but I have confidence in the staff. Maybe they didnt want him and have there eye on somebody else.

Bisontug
02-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Man thats too bad, I wish he woulda picked a good football team over having fun. Wining is fun isn't it?!?!?!?:banghead:

Rutland.... do they still have the pan from the world's largest hamburger in town there ?? Just curious :D

rutlandbison
02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Nice you know of Rutland. Yeah we do, but we dont hold the record anymore, some town in wisconson does i think:mad:

sambini
02-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Lakes I have to go with Becker. Good luck to the young man where ever he goes. Could he end up at St.Johns?

BisonNeil
02-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Agreed. I wasn't terribly impressed with our safeties last year. Lots of plays where they weren't even in the photo. Of all the D positions in the 2008 team I think NDSUs safety position is in the biggest need of an influx of depth (and depth is defined here as the existence of quality players who can actually play rather than occupy a slot on a depth chart, unlike what many of you consider depth).

sambini
02-25-2008, 02:06 AM
So Back To The Thread. Where Is He Going?

lakesbison
02-25-2008, 04:37 AM
STRAIGHT FROM SHANE POTTER HIMSELF:

He Hasnt Decided ANYTHING yet, he is focused on NDSU or St Cloud State, he is leaning towards staying around home, HOWEVER, his parents and uncles really are pushing him towards NDSU.

That's the FACTS JACK! My brothers roommate was partying with him saturday

so we are still on "wait" mode, Im assuming he could wait til this summer to decide, which SUCKS

aces1180
02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Why do I have this feeling that Lakes is going to get NDSU in some kind of trouble with the NCAA?

Just remember, its up to the coaches to recruit, not fans.

lakesbison
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I never talked to him!!

I called my brothers roomate, said "yo whats up with mr potter" he calls me sunday night and tells me what I told you.

whats the big DEAL I O ???

If you guys don't want to hear this stuff, let me know, and ill start posting on North Dakota Science School message board., or Morris.. (ha ha)

Bison Dan
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I never talked to him!!

I called my brothers roomate, said "yo whats up with mr potter" he calls me sunday night and tells me what I told you.

If you guys don't want to hear this stuff, let me know, and ill start posting on North Dakota Science School message board., or Morris.. (ha ha)

Thanks for the info Lakes! I have to wonder how much interest the Bison coaches have in this individual?

aces1180
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I never talked to him!!

I was just giving you crap man...Nothing wrong with your info...I should have added a smiley face to show I was joking.

lakesbison
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I Know Aces! It Just Others On Here Who Will Get Their Panties In A Bunch . So I Figured I Mite As Well Speak My Mind

Tatanka
02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, well my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Shane pass out at Thirty-One Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:nod:

*I kid because I love. And because it's fun.

bisonhusker
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, I think we all know that Lakes is "connected." His stuff can be etched in stone. He tells the truth boys........

lakesbison
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
should I post their phone #'s and you all can call them yourselves?

My brother and his roomate played at St Johns, that kid is from Becker, SS, and he's good friends with Potter, so listen to what I say, just ONCE...

husker.... i felt sarcasm there.

TransAmBison
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
should I post their phone #'s and you all can call them yourselves?

My brother and his roomate played at St Johns, that kid is from Becker, SS, and he's good friends with Potter, so listen to what I say, just ONCE...

husker.... i felt sarcasm there.
The force is strong with this one.

BENTRIM
02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Dwight Lundeen (Potter's HS coach) talked to Coach Bohl on Friday night at the Glazier Clinic. When Dwight asked about Potter, Bohl said they are really deep at OLB and Safety. He walked away feeling the interest wasn't there.

OldBison
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Dwight Lundeen (Potter's HS coach) talked to Coach Bohl on Friday night at the Glazier Clinic. When Dwight asked about Potter, Bohl said they are really deep at OLB and Safety. He walked away feeling the interest wasn't there.

Deep at OLB I believe. Deep at safety? Really?

31 Eaves, Daniel FS 6-0 170 Fr. Harvey, Ill. (Thornton Township HS)
29 Schommer, Nick FS 6-0 195 Jr. Prescott, Wis. (Prescott HS)
15 Belmont, Kyle SS 5-11 192 So. Battle Lake, Minn. (Battle Lake HS)
36 Lemon, Cyrus SS 5-10 188 RFr. Minneapolis, Minn. (DeLaSalle HS)

These guys listed as DBs:

13 Banks, Freddie DB 5-8 165 So. Harvey, Ill. (Mercyhurst College, Pa.)
20 Bigley, Chris DB 6-1 195 RFr. Menomonee Falls, Wis. (Menom. HS)
5 Richardson, John DB 6-0 184 Jr. Lakewood, Calif. (Mt. San Ant. Coll)

And Richardson played CB last fall so who knows where they will really play.

There are a few true Fr safeties coming in, but they are diamonds in the rough and green, unlikely to contribute for a year or two.

Warm bodies=depth I guess. So, we collectively stand corrected, the Bison don't need Potter. Interesting...whodathunkit.:paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag:

DORMIE
02-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Might be saving the last scholarship for thet elusive Defensive Lineman.

Bison"FANatic"
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I believe you are right Dormie. I would think you would want to keep a schollie open for a D line tranfer. We could use another good DE to put some pressure on and shut down the other team. A good rusher can stop a drive pretty quickly with a 10 yard sack. I am hoping they are looking for another young man to contribute at this position.

X-Factor
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Deep at OLB I believe. Deep at safety? Really?

31 Eaves, Daniel FS 6-0 170 Fr. Harvey, Ill. (Thornton Township HS)
29 Schommer, Nick FS 6-0 195 Jr. Prescott, Wis. (Prescott HS)
15 Belmont, Kyle SS 5-11 192 So. Battle Lake, Minn. (Battle Lake HS)
36 Lemon, Cyrus SS 5-10 188 RFr. Minneapolis, Minn. (DeLaSalle HS)

These guys listed as DBs:

13 Banks, Freddie DB 5-8 165 So. Harvey, Ill. (Mercyhurst College, Pa.)
20 Bigley, Chris DB 6-1 195 RFr. Menomonee Falls, Wis. (Menom. HS)
5 Richardson, John DB 6-0 184 Jr. Lakewood, Calif. (Mt. San Ant. Coll)

And Richardson played CB last fall so who knows where they will really play.

There are a few true Fr safeties coming in, but they are diamonds in the rough and green, unlikely to contribute for a year or two.

Warm bodies=depth I guess. So, we collectively stand corrected, the Bison don't need Potter. Interesting...whodathunkit.:paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag:

Very interesting to know that you think you are more familiar with our football team's depth chart and individual progress than Craig Bohl.

lakesbison
02-25-2008, 09:46 PM
WE WOULD TAKE POTTER IN A HEARTBEAT.. dont kid yourself. AND he would play soon.

Yea. Im sure ol Dwight is making the decision here.. HELLO... Shane is outta H.S, and his parents are pushing NDSU. that's all I need to, Dwight is awesome, chad his nephew and I are great friends from HS>, I work with him for the Minnesota Viking coaches for interviews (he's chili's office assistant).

But seriously, dwight doesnt have a say in Potter's future, Shane and his parents do.

We will see..... We will see...

sambini
02-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Might be saving the last scholarship for thet elusive Defensive Lineman.+++++++++++++

CaBisonFan
02-26-2008, 03:20 AM

Not arguing, but it could be that Bohl doesn't want to give away his hand. If I were him, I wouldn't really want to talk about the kid, either way.