PDA

View Full Version : U-18 Hockey

tjbison
02-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Its official, sounds like there could be a huge Local Economic impact from this! 100,000 possible attendance??

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191683

sambini
02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Congrats on landing this event+++++++++

Tatanka
02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Its official, sounds like there could be a huge Local Economic impact from this! 100,000 possible attendance??

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191683
Yes, this will be huge for Fargo/Moorhead. These games will be televised worldwide (maybe not on the big networks in the US but either way). First time the tournament's in the US and it comes to Fargo less than 5 miles from Tatanka's house. Sweet.

Bison"FANatic"
02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
This is a great opportunity for the Fargo area. We would have had no chance at this without the urban plaines center and now we are going to have a nice influx of cash into the local economy. This will impact a lot of people in Fargo. Everyone from the less than minimum wage waitress and most people in a bunch of the service industry will see a increase in business during this tournament. But you know the community doesn't benefit from having nice facilities.;)

Bison Dan
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I wish all the people who were against this project would let us know what they think now.

Till
02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Not only will it be great for businesses in Fargo, but I'm sure the area kids could setup Vodka stands for the visiting ex-Eastern Bloc attendees. Money to be had all around!

NorthernBison
02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I wish all the people who were against this project would let us know what they think now.

I think most of the people who were truly against the project haven't changed their minds yet.

Personally, my criticism revolved around the financing fiasco.

Getting this tournament is a very good thing for Fargo and helps build the credibility of the UP Center.

Before you get too smacky about UP, please remember that the other 4 sheets of ice aren't even close to reality yet. In addition, based on the financing fiasco on the main arena, I'd be surprised if there aren't some hitches and delays in phase 2. I hope not but I'm not holding my breath.

Bisonguy
02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
American Legion World Series in Fargo the same year!!

Sportstown USA!!

Bison bison
02-15-2008, 01:10 AM

I feel exactly the same way.

TheBisonator
02-15-2008, 01:15 AM
American Legion World Series in Fargo the same year!!

Sportstown USA!!

The national touney, not just the state or Midwestern one???

SCHWEET!!!!

skolbrother
02-15-2008, 01:19 AM
I feel exactly the same way.

For more ice, my kids play hockey. Against the way they have gone about the financing process. Ultimately Fargo needs this arena and my belief hockey for another party may not be such a bad idea. (sorry just can't help myself)

d3boys
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
they might have went at it in a bad way; but ultimately this town will benefit in a great way
I say kudos

onbison09
02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Is this the Jr. Tourney that UND, UM etc. send their players to or is that the other one?

Tatanka
02-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Is this the Jr. Tourney that UND, UM etc. send their players to or is that the other one?
That's the other one...

roper1313
02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

That tourney is the World U20 championships. The one that Fargo is hosting is the U18. Team USA will have players that will be playing big time Div. 1 hockey and many of these players will be in the NHL.

REA is going to bid on the U20 tourney for 2011 and I think that the people at UP Center are trying to convice the folks in GF to use them as a secondary site. In 2005 (?) GF hosted the U20 and it was a huge success. THey used the REA in TRF as the scondary arena. Lots of people stayed in Fargo and traveled to GF for that tourney, so having the UP as a site would only make sense. Then again Fargo and GF usually love to work together on things. :rolleyes:

Bison Dan
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
That tourney is the World U20 championships. The one that Fargo is hosting is the U18. Team USA will have players that will be playing big time Div. 1 hockey and many of these players will be in the NHL.

REA is going to bid on the U20 tourney for 2011 and I think that the people at UP Center are trying to convice the folks in GF to use them as a secondary site. In 2005 (?) GF hosted the U20 and it was a huge success. THey used the REA in TRF as the scondary arena. Lots of people stayed in Fargo and traveled to GF for that tourney, so having the UP as a site would only make sense. Then again Fargo and GF usually love to work together on things. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't the UP center bid on the U20 tourney and have gf for the secondary arena?

Tatanka
02-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Um, I'll take this one.

Because the U20 tournament filled the REA (11000+) for primary games. 5000 simply wouldn't be enough, but would be enough for the "secondary" games.

As much as I'd love to see this happen (Fargo being the secondary site), you've got to believe that the powers that be in el forko grande will do everything they can to prevent it from happening.

Shawn-O
02-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Why doesn't the UP center bid on the U20 tourney and have gf for the secondary arena?

...said the man that wouldn't know a hockey puck if it knocked his front teeth out...

Or, see Tatanka response above. An REA-UP combination would be a compelling bid, and I'm actually holding out optimism that GF and FGO can work together for a damn change.

rdh701
02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
That absolutely makes at least two of us. Get past the little stuff, and do what is best for the region.

tjbison
02-20-2008, 02:50 AM
...said the man that wouldn't know a hockey puck if it knocked his front teeth out...

Or, see Tatanka response above. An REA-UP combination would be a compelling bid, and I'm actually holding out optimism that GF and FGO can work together for a damn change.

Would be nice, but its a long shot too many big heads on both sides of the field:smh:

BisonCountry
02-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Did the REA Managment still run the REA in Thief River in 2005? It makes since that it would have been part of their package at that time if that was the case. At some point wasn't the control given to the City of Thief River Falls?