PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Recruiting Good Kids

aces1180
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice column by Kolpack this morning...It made me smile and I am happy to know they don't just look at 40 times and bench press reps...Guys with character and heart always win in the long run IMO.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191141&section=Columnists&columnist=Jeff%20Kolpack

NDSU1980
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Nice column by Kolpack this morning...It made me smile and I am happy to know they don't just look at 40 times and bench press reps...Guys with character and heart always win in the long run IMO.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=191141&section=Columnists&columnist=Jeff%20Kolpack

That column sure says a lot about Bohl and the rest of the coaches. We want the players making the news for on field contributions, not the off field garbage.

Jdubs21
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah its always nice to have good kids and not having to worry about them being uneligible or in trouble, its to much of a distraction and a waste of scholarship money

BISON Thunder
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
It was refreshing listening to Coach Bohl identify the primary attributes he and his staff look for in recruits (in this order):

1. Young men with great character
2. Young men who will produce academically
3. Young men with "the passion" to win

Pretty much says it all.

bisonmike2
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I just read an article on espn about recruiting tools that some colleges use. Some special db software that allows teams to track thousands of potential recruits and their statistics. The example the article used was Rutgers. They had a database with over 15,000 recruits that they were had info on for 2008 and they already had 1,500 name in for next years class. Does anyone know if NDSU uses anything like that?

SirHinn
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
While I respect the article and what Bohl has to say, could he really say any different? Would any coach actually admit to recruiting players who don't have excellent character? Could you imagine the scrutiny that coach would receieve.

90BISON
02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
While I respect the article and what Bohl has to say, could he really say any different? Would any coach actually admit to recruiting players who don't have excellent character? Could you imagine the scrutiny that coach would receieve.

It's one thing to say it and another to do it. It would become very apparent in short order by off the field activities and how a staff handles them, which side of that fence you are on. Coming from a guy like Bohl, if that is what he says then that is what he means, because he has never given any reason so far to think otherwise.:nod:

Scooter1
02-08-2008, 09:15 PM
It's one thing to say it and another to do it. It would become very apparent in short order by off the field activities and how a staff handles them, which side of that fence you are on. Coming from a guy like Bohl, if that is what he says then that is what he means, because he has never given any reason so far to think otherwise.:nod:

You are right. Bohl is a class act.

KC Bison
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Bohl's been here a number of years now. I realize that every coach can have a kid come back to haunt him but so far that has not been the case. I think that it is more than just talk to say that Bohl looks for character from his players. And, so far, we haven't had a group of kids thrown off the team for a group rape.

SlickVic
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
if youve ever been around any of the football players which im sure many of you have you know without a doubt that they are all of quality caracter...as a matter of fact most of the nicest kids ive ever met at ndsu play football

heckler
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Bohl's been here a number of years now. I realize that every coach can have a kid come back to haunt him but so far that has not been the case. I think that it is more than just talk to say that Bohl looks for character from his players. And, so far, we haven't had a group of kids thrown off the team for a group rape.

"Oh no he din-t," - Peter Griffin

KC Bison
02-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I guess I didn't need a lecture from a Gopher booster that Bohl's discussion about recruiting kids with good character was simply said for PR purposes.

sambini
02-10-2008, 07:07 AM

We have a few of the guys work for us in the summer. They are all first class young men++++++++++

SirHinn
02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess I didn't need a lecture from a Gopher booster that Bohl's discussion about recruiting kids with good character was simply said for PR purposes.

So Glen Mason recruits bad kids with no character and Craig Bohl recruits absolute class acts that are perfect gentlemen, fair enough.

99Bison
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I just read an article on espn about recruiting tools that some colleges use. Some special db software that allows teams to track thousands of potential recruits and their statistics. The example the article used was Rutgers. They had a database with over 15,000 recruits that they were had info on for 2008 and they already had 1,500 name in for next years class. Does anyone know if NDSU uses anything like that?

Not sure if football uses it, but other sports do so presumably so...

KC Bison
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot that this is the year of the well behaved Gophers athletics. Those 3 boy scouts posing as Gophers somehow had their actions misinterpreted and than the Twin Cities media exploited the situation. OK, now I understand the thinking of a Gopher fan. Maybe its time for you to go back to the Gopher Hole.

Mr. Burgundy
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Why is this Gopher vs Bison? Jeezuz, lets be done with this. They are trying to be competitive in the Big Ten and we are trying to win a National Championship. We played twice, to consider them a rival would be silly. Lets move on.

sambini
02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Why is this Gopher vs Bison? Jeezuz, lets be done with this. They are trying to be competitive in the Big Ten and we are trying to win a National Championship. We played twice, to consider them a rival would be silly. Lets move on. Right on Mr. B ++++++++++

SirHinn
02-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot that this is the year of the well behaved Gophers athletics. Those 3 boy scouts posing as Gophers somehow had their actions misinterpreted and than the Twin Cities media exploited the situation. OK, now I understand the thinking of a Gopher fan. Maybe its time for you to go back to the Gopher Hole.

I'm glad your not a student athlete at NDSU, you really wouldn't reflect the class, character, and integrity of what NDSU is all about. You might be one of those people that wouldn't fit what Craig Bohl is looking for.
I have nothing but good things to say about the Bison football team and Craig Bohl, everytime I see them they are extremely nice and polite individuals who represent the school great.

NDSU1980
02-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Can someone tell me what happens if a kid who signed the commitment has a change of heart? Obviously, he can't be forced to play if he doesn't want to, but is he ineligible for a year if he wants to go elsewhere? Does he lose a year of eligibility?

Bisonguy
02-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Can someone tell me what happens if a kid who signed the commitment has a change of heart? Obviously, he can't be forced to play if he doesn't want to, but is he ineligible for a year if he wants to go elsewhere? Does he lose a year of eligibility?

They can receive a release from the school they signed the NLI with. If the release is not granted, they may try to file an appeal or they would have to sit out a year.

SirHinn
02-11-2008, 02:37 AM

If you don't attend the University that you signed with, or if you don't fulfill the terms of your natioinal letter of intent, you'll lose one year of eligibility and be forced to sit out a year. If you can get a complete release, you'll just have to sit out a year and seek residency unless transferring down a division. There is also extenuating circumstances in which you can get a complete release from your letter and depending on the case, be able to play immediately.

CarringtonBison
02-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Yes. Once you sign a letter of intent, you are committed to that school; not the coach, the school. You can choose to go to another school, but you will not be eligible for one year unless the school you signed with allows you out of your letter. I'm not 100% sure, but I also believe you cannot receive an athletic scholarship from your new school during that first year unless you are released from your committment.

If you don't attend the University that you signed with, or if you don't fulfill the terms of your natioinal letter of intent, you'll lose one year of eligibility and be forced to sit out a year. If you can get a complete release, you'll just have to sit out a year and seek residency unless transferring down a division. There is also extenuating circumstances in which you can get a complete release from your letter and depending on the case, be able to play immediately.

They can receive a release from the school they signed the NLI with. If the release is not granted, they may try to file an appeal or they would have to sit out a year.

SORRY COULDN'T HELP MYSELF

56BISON73
02-11-2008, 05:28 AM
They can also be redshirted the year they have to sit out and lose no eligibility. PL

roper1313
02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Just a quick note on the quality of the kids the NDSU recruits. I don't know how many of you guys were at the Kiwanis Pancake feed, but there were around 10 Bison Football player who volunteered to help us out at 6:30 am. That means they had to be out of bed and at the Civic by 6am!! I don't want to name names, because I'll miss some of them, but most of them were very familiar. We also had some help during the other shifts, but those guys that showed up early impressed me. I know where I would have been at 6am on a Saturday during college.

Thanks for the help Bison!!

In fairness to all local colleges, the entire MSUM team helped out during 2nd shift. Thanks Dragons!!

DORMIE
02-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Just to name a few. Lardnois, Compton and Mertens. The MSUM team was there second shift and the NDSU Women's Soccer Team was there third shift. I talked to Wurzbacher for a few minutes. He said the the receivers on the team were involved in the interview process in picking the new assistant coach. Pretty classy move by Coach Bohl.

roper1313
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Just to name a few. Lardnois, Compton and Mertens. The MSUM team was there second shift and the NDSU Women's Soccer Team was there third shift. I talked to Wurzbacher for a few minutes. He said the the receivers on the team were involved in the interview process in picking the new assistant coach. Pretty classy move by Coach Bohl.

Since Dormie named a few I also know that Rohl was there in the AM along with a few others. Also scheduled to work the 3rd shift were Jangula, Richard, Colvin and Septak. I wasn't there during the 3rd shift, but if the coaches signed them up I'm sure they were there.

tcbison
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought these were words of wisdom.

Vince Lombardi said:
I'd rather have a player with 50% ability and 100% desire because the guy with a 100% desire you know is going to play every day so you can make the system to fit into what he can do.

Bison06
02-14-2008, 07:28 PM

I remember this is similar to the process that was in place for hiring coach Garza. Coach Bohl had a couple of former players run through some drills with him and a couple of other candidates just to see who they thought the current players would like.