PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois GDT

roadwarrior
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Tonight the men are back at the BSA for some revenge against WIU.

sambini
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Lets Go BISON++++

heckler
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Western Illinois
Overall Record: 11-11
Home: 9-3
Away: 2-8

Only two wins away have been against UMKC (69-62) and UTPA-M (71-69).

the link (http://www.wiuathletics.com/fls/12000/stats/mbasketball/TEAMCUME.HTM?DB_OEM_ID=12000&KEY=&SPID=4947&SPSID=49950)

Our Bison
Overall Record: 11-11
Home: 8-1
Away: 2-10
Neutral: 1-0

Last time we played them: W. Illinois with the the win (83-67). Shot 55.8% from the field and 63.6% for 3s.

the link (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11900&SPID=697&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1367421)

Good thing is they don't play as well on the road. Averaging 42.7% from the field and 36.0% for 3s.

I am predicting a Bison win: 84-72

Trim
02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
My boy pulled the tickets out of their envelopes already this morning. We're ready!

missingnumber7
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Going to my first D-1 Conference game...got some free tickets from a friend. My son and I are excited.

lakesbison
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
CHUBS or BW3 NORTH before the game??

Da Bison
02-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Bison up 9-4 at the 14:35 mark.

Poor turnout by the students.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
41-31 at the half.

Woodsy has 12 and Winks 9 for the Bison.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Bison score first five out of the half on 2 points by Moorman and an old fashioned 3 point play by Vaughn.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Bison up 52-34 at the 15:57 mark.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Bison up 65-42 with 11 minutes left.

Woody has 18, Winks 17 but Woody alsohas 4 fouls.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Nelly only has 2 but Freddy and Vaughn have 8 and Tveidt has 7, Bison up 68-45

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Freddy now in double digits with 11, Herd up 73-48.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Bison up 82-51 with 6:32 left.

Winks with 21
Woody with 20
Freddy with 11
Vuaghn with 9
Tveidt and Moorman with 7 each.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:53 AM
84-56 Bison lead with just over 3 minutes left.

BlueKeyAlum
02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Stat-o-matic indicates the Herd are dominating the boards, 47-22 and shooting just over 50%.

heckler
02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Wow I was way off on that prediction... in a good way though!

Trim
02-08-2008, 02:22 AM
So, what was the smoke smell and is that why it seemed hotter than normal in there tonight??

NDSUstudent
02-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Three things after watching tonights game...

The Good...
The big three is no more, we are now a team.

The Bad...
How did we lose to that team on the road?

The Ugly...
Those refs should never be allowed into another Summit League gym. Worst I have seen at any level.

HooliganBison
02-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Three things after watching tonights game...

The Good...
The big three is no more, we are now a team.

The Bad...
How did we lose to that team on the road?

The Ugly...
Those refs should never be allowed into another Summit League gym. Worst I have seen at any level.

The worst, the sound system in the BSA. I didn't notice how bad it was at the CSU game. But seriously are we D-1 or high school here. The sound to the intro video which is supposed to pump everyone up was absolutely terrible, it sounded like static. They gotta do something soon....

BisBison
02-08-2008, 04:12 AM
2200 and change at the game tonight. :banghead: We should do better than that.:ranting: :ranting: This is D-I BBall for crying out loud, get behind this team students.

NDSUstudent
02-08-2008, 04:29 AM
2200 and change at the game tonight. :banghead: We should do better than that.:ranting: :ranting: This is D-I BBall for crying out loud, get behind this team students.

The blame should go way beyond the students for tonights lackluster attendance.

HooliganBison
02-08-2008, 04:34 AM
This was my first game since the CSU game, and it was a bad product. It was a combination of TERRIBLE reffing and a poor showing from WIU. Anyone know where the students are? I bought a GA ticket and SAT in the student section the entire time.

Herd
02-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Other than the Oakland game, we lose to the worst team on the road, and look like world beaters at home. Is this whole travel thing really that complicated? What is it . . . fatigue, refs, fans (no), intimidation??? Why can't we win on the road?

If we lose at SDS, UMKC and SUU on that road, now that would be hard explain.

NDSUstudent
02-08-2008, 05:00 AM
This was my first game since the CSU game, and it was a bad product. It was a combination of TERRIBLE reffing and a poor showing from WIU. Anyone know where the students are? I bought a GA ticket and SAT in the student section the entire time.

Too bad you didn't go to the Oakland game, that was college basketball at its best. Outside of K-State, I don't think I've seen a better game at the BSA. Take away Oakland and all of the Summit games have been average to unwatchable(largely due to the refs). That said, with IUPUI and ORU still on the schedule we should be in store for two great games. IUPUI has a future NBA player and ORU is the class of the league.

TheDoctor
02-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Solid win tonight. Great work guys! ;)

Mr. Burgundy
02-08-2008, 01:08 PM
If I was Saul, I would have been ejected. There was a point in the 2nd half with approx 10 to play, we are up by 22 points and the refs stole the show. Repeatedly. To the point where someone was going to get hurt, cheap shot...etc. The players kept their cool. No question in my mind that I would have went nuts and been tossed. The blue hairs in the stands were going nuts, it was pretty solid entertainment actually. It takes alot for them to get fired up.

missingnumber7
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Solid win tonight. Great work guys! ;)

quoted for truth....1st and only live game of the season for me. Just a few observations. Nelson disappeared and looked very frustrated after his 3rd foul. The team looks much more competent with bench players in, namely with woodside out now than the other game I saw, the CSU game. I was impressed with Luke and Sam's improvement from last season. And Tweit impressed me. I can't wait to see Carlson with this lineup next year. If you take out 5 minutes in the second half the officials weren't horrendous. But for those 5 minutes fouls went from 3 for us and 4 for them to 11 for us and 4 for them. Including a blow to the back of I believe it was Freddy's head. But also at the end of those 5 minutes the tone of the game had changed severely including a T on their coach for who know's what, and a full suplex on Nelson. I gotta give it to our guys for not letting it get to them and playing through all the contact. One thing to be said is that the officiating won't get any better, especially for ORU. I remember watching a practice before they played UM the second time. Miles kept calling fouls on the first team for every little thing, but would then let the 2nd team away with murder, I think thats the way they need to prepare especially for away games.

TheBisonator
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM

You can probably chalk this one up to studying. I've talked to a lot of friends on campus, and they all told me the same thing, they're currently LOADED with work. I didn't even get to the game until early in the 2nd half, cause I had to work. The first week of February is usually one of the busiest periods of time for a student in the spring semester. I had a whole assload of art projects (a sculpture, a painting and a paper) due this week, and I would bet that most students on campus were loaded with work. The fact that it's a weeknight means that a whole bunch of students were trying to get their shit done. Sometimes a student has to prioritize and tell themselves that solidifying that B or A on the next test is more important than going to the basketball game. Remember, academics before athletics. Saturday night should be a good crowd.

DIGRAPPLER
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
You can probably chalk this one up to studying. I've talked to a lot of friends on campus, and they all told me the same thing, they're currently LOADED with work. I didn't even get to the game until early in the 2nd half, cause I had to work. The first week of February is usually one of the busiest periods of time for a student in the spring semester. I had a whole assload of art projects (a sculpture, a painting and a paper) due this week, and I would bet that most students on campus were loaded with work. The fact that it's a weeknight means that a whole bunch of students were trying to get their shit done. Sometimes a student has to prioritize and tell themselves that solidifying that B or A on the next test is more important than going to the basketball game. Remember, academics before athletics. Saturday night should be a good crowd.

Bisonator, sounds like you are a big man on campus. I know it is late Friday but see what you can do about getting the students here on Saturday night. Call all your girlfriends and home boys and lets welcom IUPIU wiht more than just a blizzard! I for one have a green and gold Saturday planned. Women's game at 2:00 (gotta support the Pink Out!) Softball at 4:00 (curious to see what that is like) mens hoops at 7:00. With time in between softball and the men for a burger and a cold one. Me and the boy are looking forward to spending the day on campus.

TheBisonator
02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Bisonator, sounds like you are a big man on campus. I know it is late Friday but see what you can do about getting the students here on Saturday night. Call all your girlfriends and home boys and lets welcom IUPIU wiht more than just a blizzard! I for one have a green and gold Saturday planned. Women's game at 2:00 (gotta support the Pink Out!) Softball at 4:00 (curious to see what that is like) mens hoops at 7:00. With time in between softball and the men for a burger and a cold one. Me and the boy are looking forward to spending the day on campus.

The students will be out in full force on Saturday. At least for the men's game. They usually are for Sat. nights during the school year, no matter who we're playing. I'm usually asking my friends the day of the game if they'll be at the game that night, and a lot of times they say yes. A lot say no, but then again I'm an art major, which means the demographic I hang around is different.

The students nowadays usually go to the Sat. night games because they plan going to the game around drinking. Generally they'll go to the Turf or Chubs and get buzzed, then go to the game and then go get plastered until 1 am. It's a way for a lot of students to let off steam from the grueling school week.

I don't personally care for alcohol myself, so usually I'll plan the game around going out to dinner, or something like that.

I guess some people consider me a "superfan" at the hoops games, and I'm probably the only sober person at the games constantly yelling and cheering.:D

heckler
02-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Are the refs in the summit below par? I have been to all the home conference games and they were subpar at best.

IndyBison
02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Are the refs in the summit below par? I have been to all the home conference games and they were subpar at best.
They may have a hard time finding officials for a conference like this. Officials at this level are likely trying to work their way up to higher levels and there are several other mid-major conferences. To work games in this conference though you have to be willing to travel a lot and probably not get paid enough to make it worth it.

The Horizon for example is a slightly better conference but most of its schools are in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. The Summit goes all the way down to Louisiana, east to Ohio, west to Utah, and north to Fargo.

Each of those areas has equal or better D1 conferences plus several D2 or D3 conferences. If I were at that level (I officate football), I would prefer to work a conference that doesn't cover such a large area. Many football officials around here prefer to work a D3 conference because all the schools are in Indiana or within 3 hours of Indy. The only D2 school in Indiana is Indianapolis and the rest are in Michigan.

I usually defend officiating but from what I've heard about the advancement process of basketball officials and how officials chose to work certain conferences, it wouldn't surprise me if the quality of officiating in the Summit is poor. I will guarantee you they are doing better than anyone on this forum could do though. It's a lot harder than it looks and the game looks much different when you are on the court as an impartial official.